• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no point in rehashing this argument, but surely you acknowledge that the Patriots were a Tyree helmet catch away from winning the Super Bowl, yes? They had gotten to the point where they were one play away from winning the Super Bowl after SpyGate had been discovered, and yet you claim they can't win a Super Bowl without cameras? There has to be a point in this argument where logic takes over. Say what you will about 2000-2007, if you want to discredit those Super Bowls I entirely understand your perspective as much as I may disagree, but to act like because Asante Samuel and Rodney Harrison couldn't make that one play to determine the outcome of the game the entire organization is a failure since 2007 is just myopic and disingenuous.

I am not even saying that they couldnt win 1 single SB, which looks very bad, but they went from one of the greatest runs in NFL history, to 10 years of nothing and only 1 thing changed. I understand why people would want to downplay the effect that taping practices had but you have to admit that it at least looks suspicious.

Sanjuro

I am not even saying that they couldnt win 1 single SB, which looks very bad, but they went from one of the greatest runs in NFL history, to 10 years of nothing and only 1 thing changed. I understand why people would want to downplay the effect that taping practices had but you have to admit that it at least looks suspicious.

To people with agendas, sure.

Milchjon

And that's where you're wrong. A million things big and small changed, and they were very nearly as successful. Just because they had Bill Belichick and Tom Brady throughout all these years, literally everything else has constantly been in flux. And they still went to 2 Super Bowls and a Conference Final. They were among the 4 last teams in 3 years of the 5 years Brady was playing since 2007, and in at least 4 of those years (2009-2012) the Defense was drastically worse compared to their Super Bowl years.

cdyhybrid

Pats pissed off the football gods when they abandoned Bledsoe and left him to sign with the dregs of the league (the Cowboys). This is the football gods' retribution.

Doug Baldwin will make a helmet catch against the Broncos in the Super Bowl for their exile of Tebow.

Sanjuro

Pats pissed off the football gods when they abandoned Bledsoe and left him to sign with the dregs of the league (the Cowboys). This is the football gods' retribution.

Doug Baldwin will make a helmet catch against the Broncos in the Super Bowl for their exile of Tebow.

He could have saved the Bills franchise, but they chose to flounder instead!

Now, he comes around every so often, makes delicious wine. Boss.

Colasante

Cowboys officially cut DT Jay Ratliff. I don't care if he's a bum, I want the Patriots sign him. They've gotten a lot out of Tommy Kelly already after it seemed like he was washed up in Oakland and there's no way Ratliff would be a downgrade on Chris Jones and Joe Vellano.

And that's where you're wrong. A million things big and small changed, and they were very nearly as successful. Just because they had Bill Belichick and Tom Brady throughout all these years, literally everything else has constantly been in flux. And they still went to 2 Super Bowls and a Conference Final. They were among the 4 last teams in 3 years of the 5 years Brady was playing since 2007, and in at least 4 of those years (2009-2012) the Defense was drastically worse compared to their Super Bowl years.

Of course somethings changed, hell during the 3 SB years things changed as well, but Brady and the cheat were the biggest factors, or so we were told, and they have been there for all but 1 years.

Edit: The Eagles should sign Jay Ratliff.

So some fun tweets came up.

Steve Doerschuk ‏@sdoerschukREP 2m
Aaron Rodgers tells us he "thought there was a strong possibility" Browns would take him at No. 3 in 2005. Says his "buddy" Trent Dilfer...

Nate Ulrich ‏@NateUlrichABJ 1m
#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said he thought #Browns might draft him in 2005. Said he had dinner with former HC Romeo Crennel.

So we could have wound up with
image.php

and instead we got Charlie Frye. Woop Woop!

Edit - dammit, squicken. haha.

gutshot

The record? No not at all. But after 6 weeks it is at least somewhat indicative of the quality of opponent. Tampa may have an alright secondary, but they got next to no pressure on Foles. There isn't a quarterback in the league who won't find some success if you give him McCoy, Jackson and unlimited time in the pocket.

Now, I am speaking from ignorance as I unfortunately missed the games on Sunday and have not had a chance to go back and watch that one. He may have been incredible. But I'll wait to put him in the same discussion as Luck and Wilson until he at least beats a team who has shown the ability to beat other NFL teams.

Know who was awesome against shitty teams? Josh Freeman.

Going into the game on Sunday, Tampa's defense was the 3rd best defense in the league, according to Football Outsiders. Their 0-4 record had nothing to do with their defense and everything to do with their shit offense.

Also, here is a comparison of what other QBs did against Tampa's D this season and what Foles did...

sZyHy3E.png

Yeah, this is only one game and as others have said lots of backup and journeymen QBs manage to have one game where they are just on fire (I still remember Koy Detmer lighting up the 49ers a while back before having his arm broken in two). For all we know Foles' big day may have been just that, a good day from someone destined to be nothing but a serviceable backup QB in this league. But I don't think you can just write it off as him looking good because he faced a inferior defense, because that is clearly not the case.

Cowboys officially cut DT Jay Ratliff. I don't care if he's a bum, I want the Patriots sign him. They've gotten a lot out of Tommy Kelly already after it seemed like he was washed up in Oakland and there's no way Ratliff would be a downgrade on Chris Jones and Joe Vellano.

Does he have to clear waivers?

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ace-guy-with-torn-acl-with-guy-with-torn-acl/

Sometimes we write these things down so they don’t accidentally get placed in the fiction section.

When the Browns put quarterback Brian Hoyer on injured reserve with a torn ACL, they replaced him on the roster by signing wide receiver Charles Johnson off the Packers practice squad.

But because Browns, it couldn’t be that simple.

According to Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram, the Browns discovered Johnson had a torn ACL when they gave him a physical, so they’re now placing him on the non-football injury list. He was signed last Saturday, but was inactive for Sunday’s game with the Lions.

And with the Browns are playing the Packers this week, they won’t be able to replace Johnson on the 53-man roster for two more weeks, since there’s a rule in place that requires players signed off practice squads to be there for three weeks.

When Johnson suffered this mysterious ACL tear is unknown, but the one thing is certain is that the Browns can’t catch a break.

No matter how bad it gets here at least we are not Cleveland.

perhaps you could explain what you're jizzing your pants about?

Nothing. lol. Just weird what happened and still no Kubiak at the podium. I clicked the link I posted and got the same message yet on my old tab I still have the feed running.

Harbaugh's on a role with quotes lately...

On forced turnovers
Well, you open it up and a brand new can of olives and turn it over and no olives come out,. They’re packed in there so darn tight, but if you just get one to come out, just pluck one out of there and then they want to come out, they’re just flying out of the jar. So, hopefully that’s the case for us defensively. You just wonder, are you ever going to get a turnover, or interception or fumble and how can we get one. Then you get one and then you get, then they start flying your way. So, hopefully that’s where we’re at

On the long drive to finish off the game against the Cardinals
"Playing tough, hardnosed football. Grinding out the running game. Pounding. Pounding the meat. Grinding the meat."

On Frank Gore's ability to hold onto the ball after fumbling against the Rams
"You're not going to sneak up on Frank again and hit him over the head with a bag of dung a second time."

cdyhybrid

Harbaugh's on a role with quotes lately...

On forced turnovers

On the long drive to finish off the game against the Cardinals

On Frank Gore's ability to hold onto the ball after fumbling against the Rams

In 3 years you're going to be shitting all over these clever sayings. Just ask Tomlin.

Colasante

So if you sign a player off of someone's practice squad and they fail a physical, tough shit? Or did the Browns wait around, then give it to him?

I would imagine when you sign someone off a practice squad you're not giving him any guaranteed money anyway, so the Browns probably could have cut him with no penalty after discovering the injury.

MechDX

I would imagine when you sign someone off a practice squad you're not giving him any guaranteed money anyway, so the Browns probably could have cut him with no penalty after discovering the injury.

um...

And with the Browns are playing the Packers this week, they won’t be able to replace Johnson on the 53-man roster for two more weeks, since there’s a rule in place that requires players signed off practice squads to be there for three weeks.

He gets paid for 3 weeks at least. Two questions:

1) Why would you have a guy with an ACL tear on the PS which is an active spot non gamedays

2) Wouldn't the Packers have to disclose that?

Bowser

The record? No not at all. But after 6 weeks it is at least somewhat indicative of the quality of opponent. Tampa may have an alright secondary, but they got next to no pressure on Foles. There isn't a quarterback in the league who won't find some success if you give him McCoy, Jackson and unlimited time in the pocket.

Now, I am speaking from ignorance as I unfortunately missed the games on Sunday and have not had a chance to go back and watch that one. He may have been incredible. But I'll wait to put him in the same discussion as Luck and Wilson until he at least beats a team who has shown the ability to beat other NFL teams.

Know who was awesome against shitty teams? Josh Freeman.

Don't know how much, if any, stock you put into FO, but apparently TB is the best 0-5 team of all time:

The 2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the best 0-5 team in DVOA history. Their current -6.7% DVOA ranks them 23rd, ahead of four different teams that already have three wins. Here's a look at the Bucs and the other top 0-5 teams. Out of curiosity, I looked up how each of these teams finished and then what they did the following year.

*chart*

Most of these teams actually didn't turn things around too much in the last two-thirds of the season, which makes sense since they weren't above average to begin with. Tampa Bay isn't likely to turn things around either; they rank seventh in schedule so far but fourth in schedule remaining. However, it is interesting to see how many of these teams significantly turned things around the following season. Yes, these teams weren't all necessarily built the same, and there's a big performance gap between the Bucs and the 2002 Rams, 20 points worth of DVOA lower. Nonetheless, the Bucs are still going to have Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, Darrelle Revis, and Dashon Goldson next year. Could they be the Kansas City Chiefs of 2014?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-6-dvoa-ratings

eznark

Banned
Going into the game on Sunday, Tampa's defense was the 3rd best defense in the league, according to Football Outsiders. Their 0-4 record had nothing to do with their defense and everything to do with their shit offense.

Also, here is a comparison of what other QBs did against Tampa's D this season and what Foles did...

sZyHy3E.png

Yeah, this is only one game and as others have said lots of backup and journeymen QBs manage to have one game where they are just on fire (I still remember Koy Detmer lighting up the 49ers a while back before having his arm broken in two). For all we know Foles' big day may have been just that, a good day from someone destined to be nothing but a serviceable backup QB in this league. But I don't think you can just write it off as him looking good because he faced a inferior defense, because that is clearly not the case.

I didn't write anything off, I said I needed more info! And thank you, that's an awesome post.

MechDX

He's like a kid out there?

Sometimes you need some youthful exuberance. It cant get any worse

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 13m
Schaub said the injury is to both his foot and ankle. Nothing's broken. #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 13m
Schaub says he has some ligament damage in his foot and ankle. #Texans

He could play this Sunday my ass

"Players, coaches, and even viewers don't seem to gravitate to the idea of Thursday Night Football. Doubling down will defnitely fix that."-stupid NFL execs smh

Play the man Rick!

I have to say this: if Kubiak doesn't play Keenum, it will be his mistake to rue. Texans know what they have in Yates, and it's not much better than Schaub. Keenum is the wild card. Why not see what you have in him? Browns took a gamble picking Hoyer over Campbell, and they found a spark in him until that injury. The Texans need a spark. They are not out of the play-off hunt, but they will be if they do not right this ship. I know that very fact may be why they do not start Keenum. Then again, who knows if Kubiak is even capable of rolling the dice like that? He hasn't shown that creative aptitude like a Payton or Belicheck; and we are all assuming whatever QB lines up for Houston won't be shackled into the same play calling that is probably half of the problem with Schaub. Still believe Houston needs to take a chance -- regardless of experience. Not like Kubiak is going to ask much anyhow. I expect much of Sunday's game in KC to be handoffs to Foster and Tate.

effzee

sZyHy3E.png

Yeah Foles really impressed. Surprised me with his deep ball too. I think he only had one throw where I thought to myself WTF was that?

In fact going into the game I thought this was the game the Bucs win. Coming off their bye week, Eagles D is terrible, and with Foles starting I thought the Bucs would get their first game.

He reels 2-3 games like that in a row off, he is the starter next season with hopefully a serviceable back up Barkley waiting. If not hopefully Vick can hop back in and somehow we power this team to top of shit mountain.

Bowser

Not only did the NFL decide to review Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden, they did something about it.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Suh was fined $31,500 for the shot. That brings his grand total of fines to $209,000 for his career, plus $165,294 for his two-game suspension.

While it didn’t necessarily appear to be malicious in intent (like some of his others), he did hit Weeden in the chest with his helmet.

But the fact is, in the eyes of the league, Suh’s what they call a recidivist. And the NFL’s going to keep dropping the hammer until he either stops or runs out of money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/suh-fined-another-31500-for-hit-on-weeden/

lulz

cards are going to work the seachickens since it's in arizona. you'll see, you'll all see!
<3
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62939526/

Seeing LJ and WW reminded me of this article. About the 5 most disastrous QB season in NFL history b/c of injury, a list the Bills may join. Sorry bros

e:

lol That's like a home game for about half the visiting teams that play there

Weak ass trolling. Cards fans rule the stadium no matter who we play and have the past multiple years. I do remember when that wasn't the case though, sad times indeed. The worst was when we played Dallas.

gutshot

I didn't write anything off, I said I needed more info! And thank you, that's an awesome post.

Ok, I agree with you there. 1.5 games is not nearly enough time to effectively evaluate a QB.

Yeah Foles really impressed. Surprised me with his deep ball too. I think he only had one throw where I thought to myself WTF was that?

In fact going into the game I thought this was the game the Bucs win. Coming off their bye week, Eagles D is terrible, and with Foles starting I thought the Bucs would get their first game.

He reels 2-3 games like that in a row off, he is the starter next season with hopefully a serviceable back up Barkley waiting. If not hopefully Vick can hop back in and somehow we power this team to top of shit mountain.

I'm torn because I want the Eagles to do well this year and I like Foles and think he can be a decent QB in Chip's system. On the other hand, I look at a guy like Brett Hundley or Marcus Mariota and salivate thinking of what they can do in this offense and wonder if tanking this year so we get a top draft pick and a stud QB might be better in the long-term.

Ok, I agree with you there. 1.5 games is not nearly enough time to effectively evaluate a QB.

I'm torn because I want the Eagles to do well this year and I like Foles and think he can be a decent QB in Chip's system. On the other hand, I look at a guy like Brett Hundley or Marcus Mariota and salivate thinking of what they can do in this offense and wonder if tanking this year so we get a top draft pick and a stud QB might be better in the long-term.

You think Teddy would be a good fit for this offense? I really like Boyd, I think he would be a great fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom