• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Von_Miller_%28Broncos%29.JPG

He's back and ready to prove why he is a top 5 defensive player.

xnipx

Thoughts?
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9838351&src=desktop
Fantex to offer Arian Foster stock
Darren Rovell

ESPN.com | October 17, 2013
For years, private investors have quietly backed up-and-coming boxers, tennis players, horses and golfers, but now the public is getting a chance to really own a piece of an athlete.

On Thursday, a company called Fantex Brokerage Services announced its intention to allow fans to invest in stock related to the performance of an athlete's brand.

What truth? They still lost to the Chargers in 2007, the Chargers in 2008, the Saints in 2009, and the Jets in 2010. Jim Irsay was right and no one has said anything to intelligently counter his point yet.

08: Defense gives up 28 to Billy Volek.

09: Chargers score OT, Manning doesn't see the ball.

10/11: Caldwell lol.

Yeah, you can blame Manning for not scoring more points than the other team, and he should take on some of the blame. But it doesn't get to the bottom of why they lost.

bionic77

EA is saying it's going to be a completely different game, with the new Ignite engine an all. But Fifa wasn't available when I played on the Xbone and PS4.

I hope it's radically different, because Fifa 14 is utter fucking shit on the 360 after the update.
If they don't make awesome next gen sports games that are significantly better than what I get on my PS3 I don't see a reason to buy a next gen console.

It doesn't have to be soccer either. I would take an awesome NFL game :)lol I know).

I would trade Josh Gordon for a 2nd considering his troubles. It's not like you build around WRs anyway, no matter how great they are. Calvin Johnson is basically the Peyton Manning of wideouts and the Lions haven't won shit. A 2nd rounder might get you an impact player at a more important position (O or D line)

I'd only trade him to an NFC team and that team can have no more than 2 wins at the moment. Only then would I consider a 2nd.

Colasante

08: Defense gives up 28 to Billy Volek.

09: Chargers score OT, Manning doesn't see the ball.

10/11: Caldwell lol.

Yeah, you can blame Manning for not scoring more points than the other team, and he should take on some of the blame. But it doesn't get to the bottom of why they lost.

I don't blame Manning at all. That's exactly my point and what Irsay was trying to say. He was saying that Bill Polian didn't build a well-rounded team and that they relied too much on the offense.

No he wouldn't. TT wouldn't touch Gordon with a 10 foot pole.
I don't think he passes up on value though even if there's some risk involved. We already have a sizzurp drug lord on our team but there's no real money sunk into keeping him so Ted kept him on the team. If the cost isn't high then why not? Real point is that any team offering a 2nd for someone with that history would be stupid and I'd imagine the Browns would gladly take them up on it.

gutshot

Good article.

Here's a stat you probably didn't know: this year's Eagles offense is on pace to register one of the smallest three-and-out percentages in recent history. Through six games, Football Outsiders clocks the Eagles as having three-and-outs on only 10.8% of all drives. If they can keep that pace up, it would tie them for second-best among all teams over the last 16 years (the entire period FO has accounted for this stat).

There are a number of things that help Chip Kelly's offense avoid the dreaded three-and-out. Part is just being tremendously efficient across the board. The historical team the Eagles are tied with right now is the 2001 St. Louis Rams, an offensive juggernaut that rode to a 14-2 record and Super Bowl appearance. Like those Rams, the 2013 Eagles rank second overall in offensive DVOA, with both passing and rushing offenses in the top 5. When you register a full 1.2 yards more per play than the average NFL offense, you're going to have fewer dead drives.

But that's not all. The number two ranked team in three-and-out percentage is the Carolina Panthers, and their offense is middling. There's another key to Kelly's success in this area, and it's relatively simple: he runs the ball more on third down and short.

On third down with 1 or 2 yards to go, NFL teams run just slightly more than they pass this year: 52%. This is odd, because running is significantly more effective. 66% of all runs from this distance convert a first down, while only 51% of passes do. Such odds would be even more favorable for the Eagles offense. The offensive line has looked good so far (although only 3.81 adjusted line yards), but more importantly LeSean McCoy is a beast. Kelly clearly knows this. He has called run plays in those situations 84% of the time, far more than any other team -- and has an 81% success rate to show for them.

The tendency extends to third downs from 3 to 5 yards out as well. For most NFL offenses, this is a straight passing down. A quarter of teams have yet to call a run in this situation, and the overall rush rate is a measly 10%. This seems to be a rational decision for most teams. At this run-pass ratio, the success rate for both has hit an equilibrium of about 47%.

Kelly, however, has called runs on 35% of these plays. That percentage is exceeded by only one other team: the Panthers, who we mentioned above. Both teams have succeeded with this strategy. The Panthers, with Cam Newton and a couple of successful backs, have been successful on 60% of their runs. The Eagles have converted a first down on over 70% of such plays.

But he's also about 10x better than Trent, so things balance out.

I'd say he's worth a first if you're willing to babysit him to make sure he doesn't screw up when he arrives.

Whatttttttttt. You're crazy. Just one fuckup and he's gone forever. No receiver is worth that headache

If they don't make awesome next gen sports games that are significantly better than what I get on my PS3 I don't see a reason to buy a next gen console.

It doesn't have to be soccer either. I would take an awesome NFL game :)lol I know).

I'm too poor to buy a next gen console, with my laptop being the top priority at the moment, so I'm good with only my 360 for the moment. Fifa, GTA and the new Batman should be enough for now.

Do you like Fifa 14 though? I'm really trying to like it, and played it a lot already, but it's a really frustrating game. I hope the next-gen version is radically different, and doesn't feel like such an unfinished, rushed game.

effzee

All the more refreshing when you consider how little Reid would run with McCoy.

Hell if Reid ran on 1st and 10 and it lost a yard you can pretty much bet we wouldn't run again for another drive or two.

With McCoy running I feel almost more confident running on a 3rd and 5 or less than passing the ball. Also ties into the larger point I was making yesterday. Vick or Foles, the offense is moving. Foles has made up for his lack of running with quicker passes and so far (again small sample) almost perfect redzone conversion. I feel confident with either QB so long as McCoy is healthy. I would want to see even more running. Mix in Brown for 10-12 carries a game!

Just keep the other teams off the field. Our D can't stop anyone.

squicken

That was a great read. It is incredible how much better the offense has been this year then the last 3 years under Reid and Marty. Chip is doing things with the exact same personal that those guys never dreamed of. Hopefully they can keep it up this year.

Didn't Shady and Jackson miss several games last year?

gutshot

All the more refreshing when you consider how little Reid would run with McCoy.

Hell if Reid ran on 1st and 10 and it lost a yard you can pretty much bet we wouldn't run again for another drive or two.

With McCoy running I feel almost more confident running on a 3rd and 5 or less than passing the ball. Also ties into the larger point I was making yesterday. Vick or Foles, the offense is moving. Foles has made up for his lack of running with quicker passes and so far (again small sample) almost perfect redzone conversion. I feel confident with either QB so long as McCoy is healthy. I would want to see even more running. Mix in Brown for 10-12 carries a game!

Just keep the other teams off the field. Our D can't stop anyone.

I loved the final drive in last Sunday's game. 11 straight run plays, 5:30 burned off the clock, kicked the field goal to take the 11-point lead. Reid would never have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom