• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

I'm fully aware of the reasons why Russell Wilson performs despite being under six feet, but you'd think that being over six feet would take some of the heat off. I guess I just don't fully appreciate how that 5' 10 5/8" number absolutely freaked out NFL scouts if they're bitching about Keenum's height.

I did not mean it like that. I know Hawks fans are attuned to Russ' abilities. What I am saying is that Keenum doesn't have those physical abilities, even if all the intangible stuff is similarly hyped

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
1383459_10151891999988605_718648856_n.jpg

As a 21 year old rookie Matthew Stafford took over the worst team in NFL history, with a dislocated left shoulder willed the Lions to a victory of the Browns.

First thing I noticed with this pic was those toned biceps, triceps and forearms. Then I looked into his eyes and initially saw pain but through that pain you see sheer will and determination. That "im going to put the team on my back determination".

1383695_10151897564703605_229471560_n.jpg

Now at the young age of 25 its been a great experience watching him grow as a Quarterback. That same killer instinct is in his eyes.

Despite our WRs leading the lead in drops, he is still putting up amazing numbers, with the best of them.

ThatsmyfranchiseQB.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I did not mean it like that. I know Hawks fans are attuned to Russ' abilities. What I am saying is that Keenum doesn't have those physical abilities, even if all the intangible stuff is similarly hyped
Again, I'm talking about his height in isolation. I don't have any idea how good he is as a player, but seeing him branded with the same TOO SHORT despite being over the 6 foot mark is a little surprising to me. That's all.

Speaking of height and proportions, though...

2ATEdI5.jpg

Carroll is actually closer to the camera in this photo.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Thanks fellas its good to be back. GG Browns GAF, Coldplay Im really looking forward to our matchup Sunday.

And can someone explain to me how Suh gets fined for the most textbook, clean hit ever, yet thug Packer offensive lineman are allowed to hold and chop block him at the same time?

BWEMGy-CUAATAB7.jpg:large

squicken

I just don't see the "omg tank for Teddy" when I watch him play. Looks good but I'm not sure how he is a better prospect than Tannehill was

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It just occurred to me that the ARE YOU IN photoshop now represents two QBs in the same division. Clearly Freeman needed to coordinate Taco Bell runs with Stafford better.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Even after the Colts game on MNF? wow!

I believe so. IIRC I checked the stats on the Lions ESPN page Tuesday or so, either way if Im Martin Mayhew, our GM, Im making a call to get another solid WR for a 2nd or 3rd round pick ASAP.

Im afraid Megatron may have one of those nagging injuries that bothers him all year.

:jnc @ Kas. I imagine it must've been hard not having an outlet these past few works. The worst is over now!

It was like not masterbating for a month. And I saw Staffords name drug through the mud with the likes of Flacco.

With Matt Ryan falling off I can comfortably put Stafford in the Top 5 QBs in the league with Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Midget Wilson looked impressive last night though, gotta give him that.

squicken

Teddy is good but I like Mariotta better. That kid can ball and he can get so much better

He's 19 so there's so much room to get better. But I still worry about him being helped a lot by bad defenses, good surrounding talent and a QB friendly system. Ideal college guys are like Cutler and Brees. Running a pro style offense with bad surrounding talent and really standing out vs quality opponents. You don't want Wuerfels or Bradfords

Narag

I believe so. IIRC I checked the stats on the Lions ESPN page Tuesday or so, either way if Im Martin Mayhew, our GM, Im making a call to get another solid WR for a 2nd or 3rd round pick ASAP.

I really had no clue. Got curious though and remembered the washington post lists all sorts of stats:

Code:
1	New England Patriots	23
2	Detroit Lions	20
3	St. Louis Rams	18
4	Denver Broncos	16
5	New York Giants	16

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

I like to imagine that's 16 lost TDs for Peyton and 16 narrowly avoided interceptions for Eli.

rando14

I really had no clue. Got curious though and remembered the washington post lists all sorts of stats:

Code:
2	Detroit Lions	20
3	St. Louis Rams	18
4	Denver Broncos	16
5	New York Giants	16

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

I like to imagine that's 16 lost TDs for Peyton and 16 narrowly avoided interceptions for Eli.

Code:
31	Seattle Seahawks	5

:cool: Our receivers are so cool!

Preach on Skittles Wilson.

Hell yeah my man!

Im not optimistic bout either offense. I think it will be a Raven Steelers game type score 1st to 17 wins.

As for upshaw he's only in on run downs cause doom cant set a fucking edge to save his life.

I'll be honest I'd rather not make the playoffs this year. I would like to get a GREAT WR,TE,CB. Hell even a good C (cause gino has been rated 32/32 in pft centers)
Maybe we can also fire everyone but the WR and RB coaches on off.....

And here's a thoughts I think Matt Elam is a bust. Gino is trash. Ngata is about washed up and not worth the money we pay him is no longer double teamed like he was and Rice has lost his burst.

Normally I'd lap this up but Elam is a rookie. Kind of premature to call him a bust.

Agree with Ngata. He's been like that for a few years though - space eater and not much more.

Rice not sure. I think it's just injury issues but he's looked just awful and nothing like the Rice of old. Yeah your o-line sucks. Deal with it.

edit: welcome back Kas. Lions for NFC Championship. I believe!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It was like not masterbating for a month. And I saw Staffords name drug through the mud with the likes of Flacco.

With Matt Ryan falling off I can comfortably put Stafford in the Top 5 QBs in the league with Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Midget Wilson looked impressive last night though, gotta give him that.

:jnc

:kas

He's 19 so there's so much room to get better. But I still worry about him being helped a lot by bad defenses, good surrounding talent and a QB friendly system. Ideal college guys are like Cutler and Brees. Running a pro style offense with bad surrounding talent and really standing out vs quality opponents. You don't want Wuerfels or Bradfords

The thing I don't like about Bridgewater is he's not an elite athlete. I know he's listed at 6'3", but he looks 5'9". I don't think he's a system guy, nor do I think he has good talent around him. But how is he going to fare when he's on the Jags and he has a d-lineman in his face before he hits his back foot?

The person facing inferior defenses with superior talent while running a gimmick offense is Mariotta.

squicken

:j

The thing I don't like about Bridgewater is he's not an elite athlete. I know he's listed at 6'3", but he looks 5'9". I don't think he's a system guy, nor do I think he has good talent around him. But how is he going to fare when he's on the Jags and he has a d-lineman in his face before he hits his back foot?

The person facing inferior defenses with superior talent while running a gimmick offense is Mariotta.

That post was about Mariotta, so we agree! Teddy is 20 and turns 21 this year. Teddy is so skinny. It's the same thing with Manziel. It's a good QB draft but there's no stud guy yet. There won't be a Luck but there's not a Stafford either

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Can we agree that there are now 7 NFC teams for playoff contention?

1. Seahawks
2. Saints
3. Whatever the hell comes out of the NFC East
4 to 7.) Packers, Lions, 49ers, Bears

Barring a catastrophic QB injury to one of these teams this is how Im reading it right now. The NFC North needs to be settled, and itll be close. After that is the battle for the wildcard and I see no one from the NFC East or South making a dent.

squicken

Code:
2	Detroit Lions	20
3	St. Louis Rams	18
4	Denver Broncos	16
5	New York Giants	16

Drop data varies so much. PFF has Brady and Stafford with 24, Peyton with 20. Football Outsiders and ESPN are much more rigid on what they consider a drop compared to Stats and PFF

That Purdue offense Brees ran under Tiller was not a pro style offense. I'm not as worried about "system" QBs, as long as they have one or two truly exceptional traits. I haven't seen enough of Mariota to feel completely sold on him, but Teddy seems close to a can't miss.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Drop data varies so much. PFF has Brady and Stafford with 24, Peyton with 20. Football Outsiders and ESPN are much more rigid on what they consider a drop compared to Stats and PFF
Well, just going on that then reordering based on drop rate...

1 New England Patriots 23/239 9.6
2 Detroit Lions 20/239 8.3
3 St. Louis Rams 18/233 7.7
4 New York Giants 16/233 6.9
5 Denver Broncos 16/243 6.6
6 Kansas City Chiefs 14/216 6.5
7 Buffalo Bills 13/202 6.4
8 Cleveland Browns 15/254 5.9
9 Jacksonville Jaguars 13/223 5.83
10 Indianapolis Colts 11/189 5.82
11 Carolina Panthers 8/153 5.23
12 Philadelphia Eagles 10/193 5.18
13 Chicago Bears 11/217 5.1
14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9/180 5.0
15 Washington Redskins 10/209 4.8
16 Cincinnati Bengals 9/215 4.2
17 Miami Dolphins 7/182 3.85
18 Baltimore Ravens 9/235 3.83
19 San Francisco 49ers 6/161 3.73
20 Atlanta Falcons 8/219 3.65
21 Pittsburgh Steelers 7/193 3.6
22 Green Bay Packers 6/184 3.3
23 Dallas Cowboys 7/218 3.21
24 Tennessee Titans 6/189 3.17
25 New York Jets 6/191 3.141
26 Houston Texans 8/255 3.137
27 Oakland Raiders 5/173 2.9
28 San Diego Chargers 6/223 2.7
29 Arizona Cardinals 7/267 2.62
30 Seattle Seahawks 5/195 2.56
31 New Orleans Saints 6/237 2.5
32 Minnesota Vikings 4/169 2.4

Godslay

Banned
Bruised ribs? LOL, dude. The Cowboys hung 48 points on you guys. He was playing MVP-calibre football until that final Romoesque finish. We held them to 16 points. You guys also gave up 19 to the Jaguars. 19! They scored 2 points against us on a blocked punt that went out the endzone for a safety. It was basically a complete shutout.

I won't downplay how good the Broncos offense looks, because they're hot. They've put all those numbers up against even scrubbier teams than the Chiefs have played. You recognize the double standard in praising the Broncos' offense then trying to downplay the Chiefs' defense.

We are who we are. I don't see any Chiefs fans clamoring that we'll win the Superbowl. I'm sure they're out there, but that's not the popular sentiment in the fanbase. Right now we're just saying we're a 6-0 team with a fearsome defense and a top ten offense. We're coming off a 2-14 season. You bet your ass we're celebrating!

Godslay, you're a smart man. You know better than to say that Tony Romo's bruised ribs accounts for the 32 additional points the Cowboys put up against you guys than they did against us. Don't be silly. Your defense crapped the bed that game. Whether or not you have your full strength on the field is irrelevant. We haven't had our best CB most of the season, but that's not stopping us from getting things done.

Football players play with nagging injuries every game. I guarantee you the blisters that Jamaal Charles has had on his feet all year long (which Andy Reid said is the most disgusting thing he's seen in his career) has impacted his game more than some minor rib pain has Romo. That's football.

You've played all the guys in bold and gave up more points to them. Historically bad Eli put up 7 against us. You gave up 23 to him. That's shameful. Pryor put up 7 against us. He put up 21 against you guys. Doubly shameful.

It's defnitely a double standard in that you have played a WEAKER overall schedule than we have, and currently trail us in the AFC West standings. That may very well change in the near future, but you'll have to hope you can keep outscoring your opponents who are averaging 26 points a game against you. You may very well do that, but you've basically been 100% reliant on your offense to bail you out thus far in the season.

By contrast, the Chiefs have given up an average of just under 11 points a game to essentially the exact same opponents. It's laughable for you to say we need to face a real QB and OL when your team is giving up more than double the points to the same teams. If you think we'll fold against tougher competition, I'd hate to see how many points those teams would put up against the Broncos.

Is your team better than mine currently? Probably. Likely, even. But the gap isn't anywhere near where you think it is. We're approaching things from very different angles. We suffocate teams and put up a respectable number of points (#8 in scoring right now). You give up a ton of points but put even more on the board. The end result is the same.

The true offense versus defense battle will be resolved once we've played both our matchups this year. I predict you'll win in Denver and we'll win in KC. Time will tell.

Finally home, at the comfort of a nice keyboard rather than a touchscreen.

As far as Romo, you got the worst of him, as Romo defender Farooq pointed out. He had the bruised ribs coming into your game, not against Denver. Against Denver, he might as well have been playing the second team, but yeah they shouldn't have given up 48. That will be fixed.

Initially I bought into the idea that you guys had an elite, once every ten years defense. Watching the games in retrospect, I don't think that is the truth. The level of competition is mediocre on their best day, and even with that said, the opposing teams have pushed the defense into coughing up points. Not very many obviously, but looking back, every game the Chiefs have played thus far remind me of 2011 with Tebow.

Backups, terrible QBs, teams that are not very good offensively. It allowed the defense to keep the score low, and keep the offense in the game. Either the offense came through with a drive that won the game or the ST or defense came though.

Watching that season, and believing in that team as a Cinderella, I think I can honestly say that it's not sustainable. There is always a team that will come in, kick your defense in the dick, and their won't be a damn thing your offense or special teams can do about it. Look at NE, GB, DET, against Denver that year. Came in, slapped the defense in the dick, and the offense couldn't do jack shit about it. It's the same thing that KC will face when a decent offense comes in against them.

Great defense is a wonderful thing, but realistically it only matters when it is paired with a decent offense. In this game, as it stands right now, the offense has to be able to score to win it all. Defense serves only to return the ball back to the offense. If the offense cannot score, the defense will crumble eventually. It's just the state of the game.

But whatever I guess, I'm just a dude amongst 313.9 million other people. There is nothing special about me guessing how things will turn out. I very well could be wrong, but I feel like I've seen this scenario before. Time will tell I guess.

I think he ate his farm.

Smoked chicken?

Weed and fried chicken? Is there a better combination? I think not.

Don't worry Tragic and Godslay, BOTH your teams will be one and done!

Go back to the bat... I'm mean troll cave Deacon. Save your load for the Pats lifelongs.

Edit: Welcome back Kas. Now stay in the fort.

squicken

That Purdue offense Brees ran under Tiller was not a pro style offense. I'm not as worried about "system" QBs, as long as they have one or two truly exceptional traits. I haven't seen enough of Mariota to feel completely sold on him, but Teddy seems close to a can't miss.

My understand of Tiller's offense has always been, and please correct me if I am wrong, that he used pro style concepts but his use of 4 and 5 man routes overwhelmed Big 10 defenses used to defending ground and pound.

But they were more advanced than the more simplified spread systems of Leach and Rich Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom