• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Well, just going on that then reordering based on drop rate...

1 New England Patriots 23/239 9.6
2 Detroit Lions 20/239 8.3
3 St. Louis Rams 18/233 7.7
5 Denver Broncos 16/243 6.6

28 San Diego Chargers 6/223 2.7
29 Arizona Cardinals 7/267 2.62
30 Seattle Seahawks 5/195 2.56
31 New Orleans Saints 6/237 2.5
32 Minnesota Vikings 4/169 2.4

It's always hard to place blame on high drop rates. Not like Petyon throws a super fast ball like Stafford. The Rams and Pats I get b/c of the receiving corps are so young. Seahawks are just amazing. They high point passes, scoop them off the turf, and look like Cris Carter on the boundary. They have excellent position coaches on that staff. Players get drafted and develop. It's a big advantage they have over San Francisco

Nakazato

Normally I'd lap this up but Elam is a rookie. Kind of premature to call him a bust.

Agree with Ngata. He's been like that for a few years though - space eater and not much more.

Rice not sure. I think it's just injury issues but he's looked just awful and nothing like the Rice of old. Yeah your o-line sucks. Deal with it.

edit: welcome back Kas. Lions for NFC Championship. I believe!

Your Oline isnt much better..... Suggs/Doom vs your tackle. I will feed on roofesburger's tears

My understand of Tiller's offense has always been, and please correct me if I am wrong, that he used pro style concepts but his use of 4 and 5 man routes overwhelmed Big 10 defenses used to defending ground and pound.

But they were more advanced than the more simplified spread systems of Leach and Rich Rod

It's been a long time since those days, and I was probably 10 at the time (but spent every waking hour obsessing about football), but I remember it was a bit gimmicky. Nobody ran the spread. I also remember that they'd huddle with just Bree's and the O-Line, so defenses wouldn't know what offensive personnel was coming out, which is obviously against the rules today. In 1995 nobody in the big 10 ran the spread, now it's everywhere and the spread has evolved. Honestly, I'd be really interested in researching Tiller and his spread. He took a terrible program and made them relevant for a decade, and they've been awful since he left. Brees is the star pupil, but he put some unremarkable guys into the league, like Orton and Painter.

LJ11

I just don't see the "omg tank for Teddy" when I watch him play. Looks good but I'm not sure how he is a better prospect than Tannehill was

I don't know about that. Really liked Tannehill coming out, but Bridgewater is better passer than he was.

Tannehill's skill players limited what they did, his OL/RBs were his weapons, receivers outside of Swope did nothing. It was curls, deep comebacks and outs, with the occasional "oops we forgot about swope running down the middle of the field." Tannehill's arm strength helped in making those throws, but when DBs started sitting on those routes because they weren't threatened by a receiver running by them things got harder for him, not his fault.

Where Teddy excels over Tannehill is anticipation over the middle of the field. That was Tannehill's biggest weakness, in my opinion anyway. Didn't work the middle well enough, didn't anticipate throwing windows and in-breaking routes. You didn't see him nail dig/shallow cross combos.

Bridgewater's pretty good in the pocket, so was Tannehill for that matter, but Tannehill could create with his feet if/when he wanted to.

One thing is for sure, Winston is the real prize in 2015, he's incredible and I don't care if it comes across as hyperbole, he just is.

Edit: Oh shit, RIP Bum

squicken

Where Teddy excels over Tannehill is anticipation over the middle of the field. That was Tannehill's biggest weakness, in my opinion anyway. Didn't work the middle well enough, didn't anticipate throwing windows and in-breaking routes. You didn't see him nail dig/shallow cross combos.

Bridgewater's pretty good in the pocket, so was Tannehill for that matter, but Tannehill could create with his feet if/when he wanted to.

One thing is for sure, Winston is the real prize in 2015, he's incredible and I don't care if it comes across as hyperbole, he just is.

Edit: Oh shit, RIP Bum

It got pointed out to me in his senior year that Tannehill didn't move his feet in the pocket. for a guy who played WR, he plays QB so un-athletically at times. The lack of refinement as a passer I also figured was from so few starts. What I liked was the natural ability and figured he could be coached up. Still can be

I also noticed with Wilson yesterday that when he made a point to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions, he was as oblivious to pressure as Brandon Weeden and Tannehill. He's so much better when he moves

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
KAS RETURNS!?

The Lions are at the top of the division. Reggie Bush is on his way to 1800 yards. How do you feel?

I posted this once but it got lost with my password.

Im looking long term, and that means playoff berth. The ultimate goal is NFC North Title but that will be tough. I think we can squick in with a wildcard but the NFC North banner would be much better.

So for this week Im rooting for the Browns to beat the Packers, Redskins to beat the Bears and most importantly we need to handle our own business against the top dogs in the AFC North right now, the Bungles.

Once we get into the playoffs there is no team we cannot beat or hang with.

Edit: And yeah Godslay Im gonna confine myself to the fort from here on out :jnc

So the Packers picked up some rookie bust receiver that Seattle and SF fans in here were using as early-season trash talk fodder.

Apparently James Jones won't be playing Sunday!

Maybe we'll have 46 healthy players to dress. Maybe.

rando14

So the Packers picked up some rookie bust receiver that Seattle and SF fans in here were using as early-season trash talk fodder.

Apparently James Jones won't be playing!

Chris Harper is the future!

A future with poorly run routes and dropped passes!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I also noticed with Wilson yesterday that when he made a point to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions, he was as oblivious to pressure as Brandon Weeden and Tannehill. He's so much better when he moves
He's playing like McQuistan isn't blowing his assignments half the time. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's always hard to place blame on high drop rates. Not like Petyon throws a super fast ball like Stafford. The Rams and Pats I get b/c of the receiving corps are so young. Seahawks are just amazing. They high point passes, scoop them off the turf, and look like Cris Carter on the boundary. They have excellent position coaches on that staff. Players get drafted and develop. It's a big advantage they have over San Francisco
Heh, meanwhile, it's maddening how poor we've been on pass protection this year. Did Tom Cable forget how?

And here's a thoughts I think Matt Elam is a bust. Gino is trash. Ngata is about washed up and not worth the money we pay him is no longer double teamed like he was and Rice has lost his burst.

I'd nuke the whole fucking team and start fresh, Jacksonville style, but you know, do it right. Problem is those big contracts, particularly one very large, very fresh one.

You barely touched on our coaching. It's been bad. John has gone all Jim and become an average coach, and Caldwell, well, he's just terrible.

The Ray Lewis Effect was real.

And welcome back Kas

squicken

The Rams host a MNF game that will coincide with Game 5 of the World Series (if needed) played that night in STL. Gonna be a bad look, especially when SEA blows them out by half time

cdyhybrid

He's playing like McQuistan isn't blowing his assignments half the time. :(

Russell is too much of a good teammate and leader. He refuses to believe that his teammates won't succeed!

Heh, meanwhile, it's maddening how poor we've been on pass protection this year. Did Tom Cable forget how?

That's what happens when you have to play backups =\ We're deep as fuck at a lot of positions but we can't be deep at all of them.

It will be 75% full, with 25% Seahawks fans and the rest Rams fans watching their phones for updates and cheering at odd times as the Cards do something well
Not so sure, it's the World Series. And people don't give a crap about the Rams. I guess the season ticket holders might stop in for a quarter or two before bailing to watch baseball.

The Rams should just say eff it and show the baseball game on the jumbotron!

Hunter S.

So it makes me feel good Deacon's Steelers suck. Tonight I am champion of bling blades against my nephew. Eat it Deacon you angry bastard. You got no winner and must hate.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's what happens when you have to play backups = We're deep as fuck at a lot of positions but we can't be deep at all of them.
It's not just that. Cable's been favoring linemen who are great at run blocking regardless if they can pass-protect. That's how Sweezy is a starting RG while Moffit got the boot. Bowie is new, but he's at the same level. Carpenter is also having issues at LG.

Furthermore, the problems go back to when the line was healthy.

Great defense is a wonderful thing, but realistically it only matters when it is paired with a decent offense. In this game, as it stands right now, the offense has to be able to score to win it all. Defense serves only to return the ball back to the offense. If the offense cannot score, the defense will crumble eventually. It's just the state of the game.

Basically why my enthusiasm is tempered.

As loud as the crowd was against the Raiders when the defense was on the field, the offense did their best to suck the life out of the stadium.

Not to say that the offense can't improve. The first thing they can do is bench Jeff Allen and replace him with Geoff Schwartz. The second thing they can do might happen later in the season. If Eric Fisher doesn't improve from "one of the worst right tackles in the league" to merely "rookie bad," the Chiefs should realize they're in a playoff race and sit him for Stephenson as long as Albert stays healthy.

But as it stands right now, they need Smith to complete more 10-20 yard passes outside the numbers, throw at least a couple of deep balls a game, and have the offensive line block for Charles for the offense to upgrade to competent.

How are we softer than the Broncos this year? They're 6-0 and have played an even weaker schedule than we have. We've beat the same teams they have more convincingly. Not sure how you can discount our offense when we've put up the 8th most points in the league at this point. Our defense has been impeccable. 3rd and 48, four straight goal line stands against Tenesse on 1st and goal from the one yard line, 10 sacks in one game, etc.

I'll agree that we have played a pretty weak schedule. The Broncos, Bears, and Jets have played even weaker schedules. The Pats, Steelers, and Rams have also played super easy schedules...almost as weak as the Chiefs. Why aren't those teams 6-0?

People are downplaying what the AFC West is accomplishing this year, which is fine. I'd be surprised if the Chiefs finish above 10 wins. Having said that, you can't really downplay what we've done so far.

Someone pointed out to me that the fourth down punt didn't even reach the first down marker. LOL!

Bruised ribs? LOL, dude. The Cowboys hung 48 points on you guys. He was playing MVP-calibre football until that final Romoesque finish. We held them to 16 points. You guys also gave up 19 to the Jaguars. 19! They scored 2 points against us on a blocked punt that went out the endzone for a safety. It was basically a complete shutout.

I won't downplay how good the Broncos offense looks, because they're hot. They've put all those numbers up against even scrubbier teams than the Chiefs have played. You recognize the double standard in praising the Broncos' offense then trying to downplay the Chiefs' defense.

We are who we are. I don't see any Chiefs fans clamoring that we'll win the Superbowl. I'm sure they're out there, but that's not the popular sentiment in the fanbase. Right now we're just saying we're a 6-0 team with a fearsome defense and a top ten offense. We're coming off a 2-14 season. You bet your ass we're celebrating!

Two words: Von Miller.

funny-gifs-i-said-bitch-1360348507.gif

I was expecting it to end with BING!
Don't get Scroogled.

Its weird considering how under developed most of USC's WR talent was when it hit the NFL under Pete. Or really almost all USC player's during his tenure.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pete's a defense guy. He didn't really do much direct work with the offense at USC I don't think.
He got hands-on with the offense for the first time during his second year at USC, when he figured he might as well go down doing things the way he wanted and not leaving it up to others. That said, I think he still leaves a lot of the details to his staff, but there's a general philosophy he expects from that side now and it's rooted in what he hates to defend against.

Pete's a defense guy. He didn't really do much direct work with the offense at USC I don't think.

Him meddling in the offense is why Norm Chow left. Supposedly they only really truly tried running Norm's offense in 01 and everything after that was basically trying to do what Seattle does now (sans the Russell Wilson magic).

They produced a lot of highly drafted defensive busts under Pete Carroll though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom