• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakazato

I'd nuke the whole fucking team and start fresh, Jacksonville style, but you know, do it right. Problem is those big contracts, particularly one very large, very fresh one.

You barely touched on our coaching. It's been bad. John has gone all Jim and become an average coach, and Caldwell, well, he's just terrible.

The Ray Lewis Effect was real.

And welcome back Kas

Very.

John really isnt a coach just a bad motivational speaker. He hires his friends and that what causes issues they why were putting up Juan and the reason we had to deal with Cam for so long. And Rumor has it Caldwell might leave after the season (Good) and Juan would become the OC.....

Most of our money is in Nagta Suggs Webb Rice and Flacco. The only one I feel that is worth of playing out that whole contract is suggs maybe webb.

Hunter S.

Oh I guess it is just a video tribute. I thought it was an entire ceremony which would be weird considering he is the opponent.

Glad there is no ceremony. As Peyton put it. There are people on this team that do not give a damn about my past in Indy. There are people on the Colts that do not give a damn a about my my past as a colt. I owe it to 52 guys and staff to do my job right.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I always thought it was weird to have tributes for players who are still active to begin with.

I think its probably Jim Irsay trying to troll Peyton and get him out of rhythm like he has all week.

Irsay has sounded like an unappreciative douche all week.

Yesterday on ESPN Sage Francis (one of the hot hosts) asked Bill Polian if he had any intention of talking to Irsay and he gave a fast but emphatic "No."

Its like Irsay threw that whole team under the bus from Polian to Tony Dungy to Peyton to Dwight Freeny to Bob Sanders. Not a good owner to play for, IMO.

Narag

I think its probably Jim Irsay trying to troll Peyton and get him out of rhythm like he has all week.

Irsay has sounded like an unappreciative douche all week.

Yesterday on ESPN Sage Francis (one of the hot hosts) asked Bill Polian if he had any intention of talking to Irsay and he have a fast but emphatic "No."

Its like Irsay threw that whole team under the bus from Polian to Tony Dungy to Peyton to Dwight Freeny to Bob Sanders. Not a good owner to play for, IMO.

Polian kinda ran shit into the ground with some bad drafting and letting his kid run people out of the organization for the sake of rising through the hierarchy. I mean I think Irsay should shut up but Polian isn't blameless.

Also the tribute thing has happened a lot over the years. Brandon Stokely, Edgerrin, and a few others received them when they' d first come back to play with another team. If I remember right, Colts fans were still cheering Edgerrin even when he was running against them that game. :jnc

Sometimes to seek the answer, we only need to search the question we are asking.

eZs5hzM.gif

Miguel

Here's my thoughts on Keenum. (Disclaimer: I went to University of Houston)

Me said:
The Texans are more than halfway to Doomsday. They need a spark. The team has been giving generic or short answers to anything asked of them in the past week. A quarterback going “we” “we” “we” after a particularly awful beatdown. Running back talking about not being able to answer a question about another grown man’s feelings. Questions about confidence level of the guy at the helm being deflected like passes in JJ Watt’s direction in 2012. Despite being criticized about making this point, I thought trotting Schaub out there for the Rams game took whatever air was left in the Texans’ confidence in their leader to make decisions that were in the best interest of his team. The fire doesn’t seem to burn like it did early last year.

This “sudden” turning on Schaub has been in the making for years. Noodle arm, lead foot, moves at a glacial pace. Funny… until you realize they’re true. Sure he occasionally hits Andre 30 yards down the field, where he has to slow down, let the ball catch up to him, then hope the defenders haven’t gotten to him yet. Schaub has been tolerated for a while. Do we have a permanent answer on this team? Unlikely. Nobody thinks Keenum is Russell Wilson or Kolin Kaepernick. This isn’t a Brady for Bledsoe move. It’s Doug Flutie for Rob “Human Piñata” Johnson.

What Case does give us over Matt Schaub is someone who has excellent pocket awareness. Case seems to be able to feel the pressure coming, has that “internal clock” analysts always associate with the good quarterbacks in the league. Case knows when to escape the pressure. He did it for 9 years at University of Houston (ok 6, it was a joke). He did it this preseason. He definitely didn’t do it last preseason. His detractors could point to last preseason and say “see, he can’t even beat 2nd and 3rd stringers” and last year I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. The undrafted rookie definitely didn’t look like he belonged out there. What a difference a year makes.

This preseason, the job was TJ Yates’ to lose. TJ didn’t do anything to lose it. While the Coog faithful were disappointed, it was pretty clear TJ was going to keep the job. He didn’t outperform Case, but he didn’t underperform either. Over the past two second halves of football, he has looked completely lost out there. And while under normal circumstances, Schaub is the guy because of experience (and contract), these are no longer normal circumstances. This is an embarassment for Matt Schaub, Gary Kubiak, and Bob McNair. The ox has died trying to ford the Schaub River. The Schaub injury just forced Gary’s hand, and TJ didn’t do himself any favors.

Enter Case.

Despite people trying to kill his mobility, he has some speed. We don’t need him to run for 100 yards. We really don’t need him to run period. He just needs to be able to escape. Something our glacier of a quarterback (not the American Gladiator) is not able to do. 3rd and short, no where to throw? Crumblesack. The times Glaciaub tried to run it felt like my DVR was fast-forwarding at half speed (slow-forwarding?)

Case can sense the pressure. Case can escape the pressure. Case can run for a few yards after escaping the pressure.

THAT alone puts him ahead of either quarterback over the past 4 weeks.

Keenum has a decent arm. He’s not gonna throw 80 yards off his knees, but he can target someone down field and actually have a shot of hitting him in stride. He’s not the permanent answer. He’s the quarterback we need right now. He’s the quarterback this team needs right now. It seems players like Duane Brown and Andre Johnson are already reacting and responding to his approach to the game. Duane Brown seems to enjoy Case’s intensity. Andre says there’s some sort of “aura” around Case.

Some will say they’re just saying it because that’s who’s been named the quarterback, so they want to support him.

That support wasn’t there for 8 the past few weeks. Not like this. It may be small, subtle, but the spark is there, and it’s starting to light a fire. Will it be lit by 3PM sunday? That’s to be determined. One thing is for damned sure, Keenum won’t go down without a fight. He’s got the weapons around him to be successful, he just needs to reign everything in and make the offense work for him.

For me, as you can probably assume, a Cougar fan. Win or lose… I don’t think Case disappoints. I am ready to sit in front of the TV for 3 hours and cheer for the guy I got to see amaze me at Robertson Stadium time and time again. I think he rises to the occasion. I think he actually scores a touchdown, maybe multiple touchdowns, and has a better than 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

And no pick sixes.

this_guy

What was Texans GAF reaction to Keenum? His hypes been building since the offseason

We're all just happy that Schoob finally got benched. Now we can look forward to 1 of 2 things:

1. Keenum might actually be good. Texans don't need a great QB just a solid QB. The defense is good and so is the running game. If Case can limit his mistakes then this will already be a huge improvement over Schoob. Plus the bootleg will be more effective if we have a QB that can run faster than me.

2. If Case stinks it up then there's a good chance Kubiak gets fired.

Either of those 2 options will make Texans fans happy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
We're all just happy that Schoob finally got benched. Now we can look forward to 1 of 2 things:

1. Keenum might actually be good. Texans don't need a great QB just a solid QB. The defense is good and so is the running game. If Case can limit his mistakes then this will already be a huge improvement over Schoob. Plus the bootleg will be more effective if we have a QB that can run faster than me.

2. If Case stinks it up then there's a good chance Kubiak gets fired.

Either of those 2 options will make Texans fans happy.

That hasn't worked out for the Texans for the entirety of the Matt Schaub era.

Miguel

http://deadspin.com/49ers-doctor-under-investigation-for-inappropriate-cond-1448185242

Deadspin said:
49ers Team Doctor Found Dead, Was Suspect In Criminal Probe

Dr. Daniel Garza, the 49ers team physician and a professor of orthopaedic and emergency medicine at Stanford University, was found dead in his home Wednesday. It is being treated as a possible suicide and, according to KRON-Channel 4, he was being investigated for alleged "inappropriate behavior" with interns prior to his death.

KRON said:
Sources told the station that the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Department was investigating Garza for alleged inappropriate behavior involving adult interns. Law enforcement officials refused to comment on the nature of the accusations, KRON reported, though they acknowledged the criminal probe began before Garza’s body was found.

According to a neighbor, about a week before his body was found, the street outside Dr. Garza's home was engulfed with squad cars and 10-15 uniformed officers, one of whom appeared to leave his home with evidence of some kind. He had not been seen in the neighborhood since.

Dr. Garza, who also served as physician for Stanford teams, was a leading researcher into traumatic brain injuries in athletes. He also advocated educating parents and children regarding the potential for injury in youth sports. He was 43 years old.

roger-goodell.jpg

this_guy

That hasn't worked out for the Texans for the entirety of the Matt Schaub era.

Schaub was a solid QB when he first arrived, but the defense was terrible and the running game was non existent for the most part (Steve Slaton's rookie year was the only year with a decent run game until Arian Foster took over). When the team finally became pretty good, Schaub went out with an injury and TJ Yates went in. Schaub hasn't been the same since that injury.

Jim fassel the former giants coach was just on the radio talking about Case, said he doesn't have an NFL arm and thinks he will struggle. I am excited to see that offense with a different QB.

Godslay

Banned
aldon only shoots straight up into the air. he can't be held responsible where the bullets come down or if someone else starts shooting!

Actually, I think you can be held responsible if the bullets come down and hurt someone. Crazy stuff, but I guess it makes sense.

After reading Yankee's comment on Keenum about arm strength, I think it matters to some degree, they obviously have to get the ball down the field, but accuracy and being on time is more important than pure arm strength.

That being said, his ball velocity in combine was equivalent to some other names that are starting in the NFL, and having success as well. Guess we will have to see how he does in the game. From the numbers it looks like he can make the throws.

While on the Subject of Keenum, Here's alittle article on him. I'm rooting for him tomorrow
A look back at why Case Keenum went undrafted

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

October 18, 2013 12:08 am ET

Sunday won't merely be Case Keenum's first start of his NFL career, it also will be the first game of his pro career. After going undrafted in 2012 and spending all of last season on the Houston Texans practice squad, Keenum is getting a chance with Matt Schaub out injured.

An Abilene, Texas, native, Keenum left the University of Houston as the NCAA's all-time leader in passing yardage (19,217) touchdowns (155). But due to his lack of ideal physical tools, Keenum didn't hear his name called in the NFL Draft and has yet to be active for a NFL game.

That will change on Sunday as Keenum's first NFL start comes against the Kansas City Chiefs in one of the more hostile venues in the league for a visiting team -- Arrowhead Stadium.

Why did Keenum go undrafted? Below average size (6-1, 208), average-at-best arm strength and limited mobility to do much with his legs. His ball appears to flutter, especially when he doesn't have a chance to wind up and step into his throws. Keenum holds several NCAA passing records, but those numbers came in an offense that inflated his statistics and allowed him to take advantage of a quick passing attack where he didn't need to make extensive pocket reads. He wasn't asked to consistently make NFL throws as the Cougars quarterback and at the end of the day, his lack of ideal physical tools were enough for teams to pass.

So why should Texans' fans be encouraged with Keenum at the helm of the offense? He's resilient, tough and very smart -- all qualities that cannot be measured by a scale or 40 time. Keenum makes quick decisions with astute pre-snap reads to have a clear understanding of what the defense is doing and where to distribute the football. He has a natural feel for the field and pocket with good passing vision despite his stature that is a shade under 6-foot-1. A mature, determined individual, Keenum is the son of a coach and has battled through multiple injuries, including an ACL tear in 2010 that ended his season.

If you compare Keenum to other quarterbacks in the NFL, he won't match-up because his physical tools just aren't up-to-par. But his resolve and heart are why he's still collecting a NFL paycheck and why he will start and play in his first professional game on Sunday.

Are the intangibles enough for him to overcome his shortcomings and find success at the pro level? The deck is stacked against him, but few thought he would ever start a game in the NFL so why not?

MechDX

Reading some of these tributes to Bum Philips is making me tear up. Guy was just a great human being.

Wade will coach on Sunday because "That's what dad would want."...damn. Don't forget Kubiak was the Oilers ball boy under Philips as well.

Win it for Bum!

h1nch

I've always wondered: Is it not possible for QBs to significantly improve their arm strength? Like if they just put all their energy into strengthening all of their chest/arm/shoulder/back muscles would they not produce a significantly improved arm? Or is it entirely dependent on one's frame?

Back when I still had a disturbing man-crush for Jay Cutler, I remember reading that he did 23 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press at the NFL combine. This made sense given that he has a cannon for an arm.

Godslay

Banned
Pretty cool old pic. What a couple of characters... 1984.

BW9YqL1IgAAqDPl.jpg

I've always wondered: Is it not possible for QBs to significantly improve their arm strength? Like if they just put all their energy into strengthening all of their chest/arm/shoulder/back muscles would they not produce a significantly improved arm? Or is it entirely dependent on one's frame?

Back when I still had a disturbing man-crush for Jay Cutler, I remember reading that he did 23 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press at the NFL combine. This made sense given that he has a cannon for an arm.

I think they can. Go too far though, and add too much bulk, their mechanics will change.

Cutler is massively strong though. I remember reading that he could bench over 400 lbs. He definitely lifts.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ron Rivera has company!

http://www.footballperspective.com/...e-history-kicks-chip-shot-field-goal-down-18/

Last night, the Seattle Seahawks defeated the Arizona Cardinals, 34-22. At the start of the fourth quarter, the Cardinals trailed 31-13, and faced 4th-and-goal from the Seattle four-yard line. Bruce Arians elected to kick a 22-yard field goal in that situation, which cut the lead from 18 to 15 points. On opening night, John Harbaugh made a similar decision trailing by 18 on 4th-and-4, although there was only 5:33 remaining (making it even less acceptable) and the ball was not at the four, but at the twelve-yard line (making it more acceptable).

Kicking a field goal down by 18 this late in the game is a poor decision unless it’s fourth and impossible. Since 1940, do you know how many teams have kicked a field goal, when trailing by 18 or more points in the second half, and went on to win the game? THREE. The “They Are Who We Thought They Were” game, when Chicago kicked a 23-yard field goal down 20-0 midway through the third quarter. After that field goal, Mike Brown, Charles Tillman, and Devin Hester scored touchdowns for the Bears, which doesn’t seem like the best model to follow in the future since none of those players played offense.

Afrikan

Locker expected to start this weekend

just when he finally starts playing better and might be their true franchise QB, imo they should not rush him back...even if he clears tests.

every NFL team will hit you hard....but man we are a physical team, and if Locker gets complacent out there just one time he will get hit hard.

not saying we are going to destroy the Titans or we'll win...but its going to be a physical physical game. I know if Kap was coming back from a hip injury and we were playing the Seahawks and it was just short time later? na...man I'd hold out Kap for one more week.

Hip injuries are not to be fucked with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom