• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I've always wondered: Is it not possible for QBs to significantly improve their arm strength? Like if they just put all their energy into strengthening all of their chest/arm/shoulder/back muscles would they not produce a significantly improved arm? Or is it entirely dependent on one's frame?

Back when I still had a disturbing man-crush for Jay Cutler, I remember reading that he did 23 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press at the NFL combine. This made sense given that he has a cannon for an arm.

It's not just upper body strength if you want to significantly improve your arm. Once again, using proper mechanics will involve every major muscle group into one's throws. If you look at a baseball pitcher, they're never yoked in the upper body, but a lot of them are thick in the mid section and legs.

Milchjon

It's not just upper body strength if you want to significantly improve your arm. Once again, using proper mechanics will involve every major muscle group into one's throws. If you look at a baseball pitcher, they're never yoked in the upper body, but a lot of them are thick in the mid section and legs.

When I throw a football around for a while (badly, of course) I often get sore on the right side of my stomach. It's something I wouldn't have necessarily expected.

N6Ve6U4m.jpg

Hipster Wedding. Awww yeah.

Jesus I am hitting the gym on Monday

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So, I'm watching this Manziel guy play against Auburn, and if this game is representative of how he plays, I can't help but think "Tebow II". Throwing mechanics are spotty and most of his balls are wobbly. Once he even chucked it like he was skipping a stone over a pond. He also tends to run with the ball extended away from his body.

Sure, he got a bunch of yards, but a lot of that is the lack of any real secondary play leading to blown coverages and 80 yards after the catch from under the defense.

Yeah, the majority of the torque involved in throwing a ball is from the lower body. Arm strength definitely helps for control and situations where you're off balance, though.

Hunter S.

You're either a hip hipster or a redneck.

My Grandpa had a whole window room that is huge and filled with nothing, but old Pabst decorations going back 80-100 years. It rubbed off on a lot of his family.

Yeah, alcoholic is more like it Chuck. GET IT RIGHT!!!!!

squicken

Faking injuries will come to the NFL. It just works. You can see it slow and frustrate college offenses. No reason not to have the subbed out defensive linemen to go down when things get a little hairy

Narag

Faking injuries will come to the NFL. It just works. You can see it slow and frustrate college offenses. No reason not to have the subbed out defensive linemen to go down when things get a little hairy

Do you think rule changes might come down if that does gain traction? Maybe sit out the drive rather than the next play unless a timeout is used or something?

When I throw a football around for a while (badly, of course) I often get sore on the right side of my stomach. It's something I wouldn't have necessarily expected.

Opposite side for me. It also gets sore when I go to the batting cages.

Do you think rule changes might come down if that does gain traction? Maybe sit out the drive rather than the next play unless a timeout is used or something?

No substitutions (but for the injured player) for an injury timeout.

squicken

I think ultimately there will be some allowances for defenses to substitute on any play outside the end of halves. But it will be a few years off. Don't think it is a good idea to have 70 plays per team every week

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think ultimately there will be some allowances for defenses to substitute on any play outside the end of halves. But it will be a few years off. Don't think it is a good idea to have 70 plays per team every week
Faking an injury is only viable with roster depth, and not every team has that luxury.

Drakeon

Checking out the games tomorrow that I have to watch and my only first game is SD @ JAX. That's really not going to be competitive for too long is it? I suppose its better than watching the Jets flounder against the Pats, but not by much. At least the Niners game should be good by all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom