• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

yoGo5xs.png

Its funny cause its true.....

Seriously though: that NFL QB's on Facebook is odd because when you read it the dialog sounds just like the talk we do here.

ibtNsnlclzchbn.gif

Play action that worked like gangbusters. This is similar to the play the Steelers threw for a TD except the Steelers had Troy over the top (in a manner of speaking, he got burned badly).

Stephen Hill works across Taylor's (#24) face at the LOS. Taylor never gets a hand on him then it's a footrace that Hill wins easily. Troy got caught looking at something, can't see what. By the time he chases he's out of the play. Fortunately Geno overthrows this, which isn't typical as Geno has the most pass completions over 15 yards in the league.

Godslay

Banned
Good points and I agree, we are one dimensional right now (however we have had 2 come from behind wins). I will say that the Broncos have had the same easy schedule thus far, and it is just as reasonable to say their offense is unsustainable.

Sure, schedule is very similar.

As far as sustainability, average ppg may drop, but I still think they are going to average around 35 ppg for the season. The only thing that is going to slow them down is themselves, injury, or an opposing team that can grind out long drives against them. Being as our defense is #1 against the run, it assures me that Peyton will see the field often since they are able to keep drives somewhat short.

For me, defense at that level is more difficult to sustain than a good offense. Reason being, if KC's offense can't stay on the field, the other team is eventually going to wear out that defense, assuming that the opposing offense is somewhat proficient. It happened over and again with KC last year. It's bound to happen again when they face a team that can sustain drives.

ibtNsnlclzchbn.gif

Play action that worked like gangbusters. This is similar to the play the Steelers threw for a TD except the Steelers had Troy over the top (in a manner of speaking, he got burned badly).

Stephen Hill works across Taylor's (#24) face at the LOS. Taylor never gets a hand on him then it's a footrace that Hill wins easily. Troy got caught looking at something, can't see what. By the time he chases he's out of the play. Fortunately Geno overthrows this, which isn't typical as Geno has the most pass completions over 15 yards in the league.

squicken

Damn GAF crashes!

Inherently wired to trust his defense by virtue of his coaching and playing background, Rivera has started to take more risks with his offense. This trust has empowered the locker room and seems to have particularly resonated with quarterback Cam Newton, who is a “confidence” player and for all his talent also needs to be reassured often that his coaching staff has faith in him.

But against Buffalo, almost Carolina’s entire defensive backfield was injured. Rivera hurt the team by not allowing Tolbert or Newton to try to win that game by gaining a single yard.

“As a defensive coordinator you look at it one way,” Rivera said. “And now, putting on the hat of the head coach, you’ve got to look at it from a different perspective, and it’s something that I’ve grown into.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ve-ron-rivera.html#.Ul08nxDwqkU#storylink=cpy

eznark

Banned
One win against the third worst team in football and Ron Rivera has it all figured out! Coach of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingGondo

Banned
This. Best thing for Weeden is to suffer another injury and let Browns fans have their Jason Campbell era. It's too bad the front office is letting him be the pinata
It's smart on the front office's part (they basically get a year's free pass, then they can draft a QB next season), but it really sucks for Weeden. Hopefully he'll get a decent backup gig somewhere else next season.

Weeden 2 Blackmon Part Deux? I could see it happening!

Yesss dat saaalllttt!

This is the Gondo I need!
Plenty more where that came from!

Kind of like packers fans being excited about beating a god awful ravens team!

God awful? lol. Hyperbole check, even for you. I think it was an exciting game and a game that the Packers typically don't win, so that's partly why the game is getting attention. I agree with you for the most part in that it's not like a major statement game or anything, but it is an impressive win.

To your point, the run D was dominant but it's not like the Ravens have been great at it all year. The pass D was good for the most part but still let up one or two explosive plays by boneheaded gaffes in the secondary. The offense looked off even before the injuries. But at the end of the day the Packers held out in a hostile environment even with no offense and huge injuries to key players. If you can take one thing out of the game, it's that Lacy is a legitimate force and shows teams that we can win a game with him as a main feature in the game plan. Hopefully that starts to open things up for the rest of the offense, especially with Cobb out.

It's smart on the front office's part (they basically get a year's free pass, then they can draft a QB next season), but it really sucks for Weeden. Hopefully he'll get a decent backup gig somewhere else next season.

Weeden 2 Blackmon Part Deux? I could see it happening!

Plenty more where that came from!

Why would the Jags want a sideways move like that?

Those Irsay comments..man that playoff statement is like a slap in the face to Peyton Manning. The truth but coming from owner like that. Damn. Peyton going light it up

Godslay

Banned
Ursay was lucky to have Peyton. Choke or not, he still gave him something that other franchises have struggled to do for decades. Take the high road dummy.

squicken

The comments I had read earlier in the week from Irsay was that he wanted a more well rounded team, and not one that was all offense, b/c it didn't work in the playoffs. The most recent ones seem pretty well aimed at Peyton.

Or maybe my guy Crazy (like a fox) Jim is pulling a Jimmy Johnson and making it about him so the slaughter isn't put on Luck?

cdyhybrid

The comments I had read earlier in the week from Irsay was that he wanted a more well rounded team, and not one that was all offense, b/c it didn't work in the playoffs. The most recent ones seem pretty well aimed at Peyton.

Or maybe my guy Crazy (like a fox) Jim is pulling a Jimmy Johnson and making it about him so the slaughter isn't put on Luck?

Luck isn't covering DMT or Welker. The Colts will score points. Just probably won't score enough points.

Omega

Banned
This is why I'm picking Dallas. Glennon looked like a competent starter vs your defense. I really think Romo is gonna eviscerate y'all.

Romo looked like shit against the Redskins, and Vick looked amazing against the Redskins. and Vick is terribad

Romo sucks. he won't do shit

squicken

Luck isn't covering DMT or Welker. The Colts will score points. Just probably won't score enough points.

Yeah I don't think that is what he is doing. He's just an idiot.

But look at Romo. Romo "lost" to Peyton even though Dallas' defense gave up 51 points. These things get played up as QB vs QB

Spent the better part of yesterday and this afternoon at the hospital. Hospitals suck.:(

Thankfully, my moms out of surgery and doing well.

bionic77

My son is 1 today. About time for the birds and bees talk.
He is already one? Damn time flies.

Please be a responsible parent and don't be one of those weird white guys that get their kids into baseball. It's 2013, time to move on. Give him an iPad if you don't want to get involved or a basketball if you want to be father of the year.

rObit

Banned
Stat change on Pierre Thomas. They gave him a lost fumble.

Ah, yep. That'd do it. Thanks! First year of doing fantasy football. I don't get how people get so invested in it, but it's pretty fun having someone to cheer for in several different games.

effzee

Eagles D will make sure all opponents remain in the game regardless of who is QB and how he is playing.

Vick wasn't playing bad and Foles still has a lot to prove. Such a small sample size. If he out duels Romo in the battle of bad defenses then I'll really start buying into Foles.

I guess good problem to have. Vick has only had one bad game and I'll be confident with either against Dallas's D especially with Ware's injury. Its the Eagles D that needs to do more than it has.

squicken

QBs with at least eight passes, two touchdowns and no incompletions against at least five rushers since the start of 2008: Drew Brees, Tom Brady Brett Favre and ... Sam Bradford.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/7

Confirms what I have always known

Spent the better part of yesterday and this afternoon at the hospital. Hospitals suck.:(

Glad she is okay, but that sucks she is having trouble. Hope she gets well

bionic77

At least you were not in the hospital bed like your mom. Spent 2 nights in the hospital after my appendix and ACL surgery. Wanted to leave both times because of much it sucked being there but they wouldn't let me go.

Only drug addicts like amirox like being in the hospital.

TheFatOne

Ball won't always bounce KC's way. +12 Turnover ratio is unsustainable. Additionally, you've faced Gabbert, Romo, Vick, Eli, Fitz, and Pryor. Outside of Romo, those QBs are either struggling or garbage. I think you do have a good defense, but the competition has been fairly bad. Bad in that the only team you'll face going forward as of right now with a winning record will be Denver assuming SD stays at 0.500.

The question is what happens when your team falls behind? That's KC's greatest weakness in my mind, and hasn't been tested so far. 7-10 points lead on KC, against a serviceable defense is a death knell for KC in my mind. Shuts down Charles and forces Alex to throw.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens going forward. Should be a good game.
Sure, schedule is very similar.

As far as sustainability, average ppg may drop, but I still think they are going to average around 35 ppg for the season. The only thing that is going to slow them down is themselves, injury, or an opposing team that can grind out long drives against them. Being as our defense is #1 against the run, it assures me that Peyton will see the field often since they are able to keep drives somewhat short.

For me, defense at that level is more difficult to sustain than a good offense. Reason being, if KC's offense can't stay on the field, the other team is eventually going to wear out that defense, assuming that the opposing offense is somewhat proficient. It happened over and again with KC last year. It's bound to happen again when they face a team that can sustain drives.

This is true up until you reach the playoffs then it changes. You are also forgetting to include weather as a factor. Especially if Denver makes a run at the super bowl. That defense should worry the hell out of you it's one of the main reasons the Pats have struggled in the playoffs in recent years. The year Brady dragged one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the super bowl the Pats had to catch some lucky breaks. The same problem you gave the Chiefs can be applied to the Broncos. What happens when they get down? It's good that you can stop the run, but the Pats have been able to do the same thing simply because they were always up. It's easy to stop the run when your team is up. Teams become one dimensional and make silly mistakes to try and outscore Manning. Same shit happened to the Pats. It's easy to do in the regular season. It's not so easy in the playoffs.

At least you were not in the hospital bed like your mom. Spent 2 nights in the hospital after my appendix and ACL surgery. Wanted to leave both times because of much it sucked being there but they wouldn't let me go.

Only drug addicts like amirox like being in the hospital.

She's getting out today thankfully which she's ecstatic about. It's just the waiting around and general mood of a hospital that drives me bonkers.

Though I did find it strangely amusing that the waiting room in the surgical ward had Hellraiser III on th TV. :jnc

In Giants news:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 3m

Giants will be giving Peyton Hillis a physical after his workout for the team today. usually a positive indication

DJ Ware also in the running:

Ebenezer Samuel @ebenezersamuel 21s

Looks like DJ Ware is firmly in running here. Hearing Giants have asked him to stay overnight, will have physical tomorrow.

Spinluck

Yeah I don't think that is what he is doing. He's just an idiot.

But look at Romo. Romo "lost" to Peyton even though Dallas' defense gave up 51 points. These things get played up as QB vs QB

True, it is dumb.

Also, Irsay is a clown, no one should listen to his bullshit. "We chose Superbowls over statistics". You fuckhead, lol. Took you over a decade to start building a team made for playoff games? Judging by this defense, and Oline we've got ways to go!!

SUPREME1

Banned

That's good man. Wish her a speedy recovery.

My mom's been in the hospital multiple times in her life for various surgeries. Shit is scary.

Godslay

Banned
This is true up until you reach the playoffs then it changes. You are also forgetting to include weather as a factor. Especially if Denver makes a run at the super bowl. That defense should worry the hell out of you it's one of the main reasons the Pats have struggled in the playoffs in recent years. The year Brady dragged one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the super bowl the Pats had to catch some lucky breaks. The same problem you gave the Chiefs can be applied to the Broncos. What happens when they get down? It's good that you can stop the run, but the Pats have been able to do the same thing simply because they were always up. It's easy to stop the run when your team is up. Teams become one dimensional and make silly mistakes to try and outscore Manning. Same shit happened to the Pats. It's easy to do in the regular season. It's not so easy in the playoffs.

Manning was able to score 21 points (edit: Holliday had 2 TDs) against a very good Ravens playoff defense, in one of the coldest days of that year. Weather is certainly a factor, but I think it's overblown.

The defense will improve, a little bit of pass rush goes a long way in making a defense better. If you don't get pressure, someone is going to get open. Von is the panacea for that, he will make everyone else better.

As far as coming from behind, they've pulled themselves back into games several times. Most recent being Dallas. It's something that they can do, considering they can hang up points with the best of them.

Like I said in my other post, they'll either beat themselves, injury will hobble them, or a team will find a way to grind out a low scoring game where possession is the name of the game. They are not unbeatable, but if you let Manning see the field it's going to be tough to keep up.

Spinluck

Manning was able to score 21 points (edit: Holliday had 2 TDs) against a very good Ravens playoff defense, in one of the coldest days of that year. Weather is certainly a factor, but I think it's overblown.

The defense will improve, a little bit of pass rush goes a long way in making a defense better. If you don't get pressure, someone is going to get open. Von is the panacea for that, he will make everyone else better.

As far as coming from behind, they've pulled themselves back into games several times. Most recent being Dallas. It's something that they can do, considering they can hang up points with the best of them.

Like I said in my other post, they'll either beat themselves, injury will hobble them, or a team will find a way to grind out a low scoring game where possession is the name of the game. They are not unbeatable, but if you let Manning see the field it's going to be tough to keep up.

Broncos D is your biggest concern for the post season, not Manning. Nice OP btw!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom