• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 8 |OT| - Hail To The Chiefs

ShaneB

Great read indeed. My only concern is when he says this "The concussion blurred my vision and I played the next two quarters half-blind, but there was no way I was coming off the field with so much at stake."

I've loved hockey for many years, and Football is quietly creeping up and overtaking it as my favourite sport, but when I keep hearing about players playing through obviously serious injuries, that's what baffles me. All the data and research can go into concussions, but these guys will play through one no matter what. In MMA, after a fight, plenty of fighters get 6 month medical suspensions and aren't allowed to fight at all. I know it's apples and oranges, but it just feels strange that I've come to see MMA as a safer sport than Hockey or Football at times.

I love big hits and all that, and freak accidents happens, but it comes down to players knowing they have to let up sometimes and think about what the consequences might be of a big time hit. I'm certainly not thinking of it turning into Flag Football or something, but there are times where it's easy to see a big hit/injury could've been avoided.

eznark

Banned
Great read indeed. My only concern is when he says this "The concussion blurred my vision and I played the next two quarters half-blind, but there was no way I was coming off the field with so much at stake."

I've loved hockey for many years, and Football is quietly creeping up and overtaking it as my favourite sport, but when I keep hearing about players playing through obviously serious injuries, that's what baffles me. All the data and research can go into concussions, but these guys will play through one no matter what. In MMA, after a fight, plenty of fighters get 6 month medical suspensions and aren't allowed to fight at all. I know it's apples and oranges, but it just feels strange that I've come to see MMA as a safer sport than Hockey or Football at times.

I love big hits and all that, and freak accidents happens, but it comes down to players knowing they have to let up sometimes and think about what the consequences might be of a big time hit.

No they don't. These guys know the risks. They are adults. As long as they are making decisions fully informed, then I see no issue with guys playing through injuries.

bionic77

No they don't. These guys know the risks. They are adults. As long as they are making decisions fully informed, then I see no issue with guys playing through injuries.
Coaches should protect their players from injuries. Players will always choose to play. It is not their job and never has been to make that decision.

Also, while Brady is washed up Talib seems to be the best player on the Pats from what I have seen of him this year.

ShaneB

Fair enough, and I repsect that as well, plenty of great sports stories of guys playing through the pain, a broken bone here and there, bruised and bloody, all that great stuff makes for some sports drama, but playing through concussions is still a grey area, and certainly much more difficult to gauge, hence the major concern to try and avoid them all together. Which yes, I know is impossible.

Miguel

How many QBs do the Browns have?

browns-QBs.jpg

All of them

The NFL is trying to legislate hits in today's game for a possible future which is ridiculous.

That CTE stuff spooked the shit out of them and as a result they're trying to make a fundamentally dangerous game "safe" which is never going to happen shy of removing trench play and tackling altogether.

The players aren't idiots. They know that playing the game could cripple them for life. Treat them like adults instead of fining them for every minute thing.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, Brandon has nobody to blame but himself.

Rooting for Campbell to end the Chiefs unbeaten season... :jnc

So this is what being a Browns fan is like. :-/

jbug617

Banned
The NFL is trying to legislate hits in today's game for a possible future which is ridiculous.

That CTE stuff spooked the shit out of them and as a result they're trying to make a fundamentally dangerous game "safe" which is never going to happen shy of removing trench play and tackling altogether.

The players aren't idiots. They know that playing the game could cripple them for life. Treat them like adults instead of fining them for every minute thing.

Aren't they just trying to avoid lawsuits in the future.

Thanks for posting the Sherman article. Love the guy.

Also, I just learned today that the Chiefs are the first team in history to start the season 7-0 after having the worst record the previous season.

<3 Andy Reid.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I would say they are, considering they started using the helmet on their head thats supposed to protect them, as a weapon, and despite the evidence coming out, continue to use their helmet as a weapon.

take the helmets off them or put pads on the outside of the helmet

Yeah, Brandon has nobody to blame but himself.

Rooting for Campbell to end the Chiefs unbeaten season... :jnc

So this is what being a Browns fan is like. :-/
Your initiation is complete! Welcome to club buddy!
It's not a season without multiple qbs! :D
:"/

For one, a lot of the players ARE idiots, and sometimes they need to be protected from themselves.

And two, the crux of the entire lawsuit that just had the NFL pay out a billion dollars was based on the fact that the players DIDN'T know the risks, because the league actively hid the risks from them.

effzee

Are Eagles fans still glad they dumped Reid? Not that I think KC is all that great, but that is a pretty solid job he is doing there. Maybe he just needed out of the toxic situation in Philly?

Hell yeah glad we dumped. Are you kidding me? Is this a serious question? Better question would be is Reid a better coach then Romeo Cornell and is Alex Smith a better QB than Matt Cassel?

Reid inherited a very talented D which finally is getting to shine now that Cassel is no longer QB turning the ball over all the time. Reid only worked this past FA and the Draft. He admits himself the cupboard wasn't empty. Big credit should be given to the previous FO for assembling the great D they have.

Reid had no input in that and if the past 5 seasons with the Eagles proved anything its that Reid is completely clueless when it comes to D. Best thing that happened to the Chiefs was Reid either not demanding or the Chiefs refusing to give him personnel power. His biggest downfall with the Eagles was his total control over everything. He was the VP of player personnel.

Want to know something else? He inherited a very good D with the Eagles too. Ray Rhodes and staff built it up, Reid took over, handed it over to Jim Johnson (his best hire ever), and stepped out of the way. Only when JJ passed away, all the Ray Rhodes guys retired or left, and Reid tried to work his magic on D did the Eagles complete fall apart on that side of the ball.

Starting from 09 to now we have consistently had one of the worst Ds in the league year in and out. Maybe the VP of Player Personnel should be held responsible? Reid's whole philosophy of ignoring LBs, Safeties, and solely focusing on stockpiling on CBs backfired when those prized CBs couldn't tackle.

I will tell you how frustrating it is to watch him take a seat back, pick a legit D Coordinator, let a real GM run the show, and just do what he does best which is coach up a QB and run offense. Even more surprising is how he allowed the team to remain a 3-4 D. Apparently one of the reasons he finally settled with OLINE coach Juan Castillo to be the DC was because he refused to hire some good up and coming defensive coaches because they would have run or preferred to run a 3-4. No couldn't have that in Philly. Fat fuck.

Why couldn't he do this with the Eagles? He had all the power. He could have hired anyone. But his last 5 years were 1 misfire after another.

Chip has won 3 games but he inherited 90% of the team. He already shows he gets more out of this offense than Reid ever did or even does in KC right now. And I don't think "dump" him is even the right word. Implies we did him wrong. He was here for 14 years, had total power, and was given 2-3 rebuild opportunities. Most coaches never get that much money, time, and power. He had it all. He fucked up. From barely getting into the playoffs in 08 and 10, to building a dream team only to finish 8-8, and then doing even worse the following year and finishing 4-12. There is no question it was the right move. For Reid too. He seems to be less stubborn.

All I'll say is good luck KC if in a few years you haven't won a SB and Reid is there to rebuild your D when you current stars are no longer there.

KingGondo

Banned
At this point, the Browns just need to tank to assure themselves of a top-5 pick and make sure they can get the QB they want.

I don't want to get stuck with Zach Mettenberger.

Godslay

Banned
Hell yeah glad we dumped. Are you kidding me? Is this a serious question? Better question would be is Reid a better coach then Romeo Cornell and is Alex Smith a better QB than Matt Cassel?

Reid inherited a very talented D which finally is getting to shine now that Cassel is no longer QB turning the ball over all the time. Reid only worked this past FA and the Draft. He admits himself the cupboard wasn't empty. Big credit should be given to the previous FO for assembling the great D they have.

Reid had no input in that and if the past 5 seasons with the Eagles proved anything its that Reid is completely clueless when it comes to D. Best thing that happened to the Chiefs was Reid either not demanding or the Chiefs refusing to give him personnel power. His biggest downfall with the Eagles was his total control over everything. He was the VP of player personnel.

Want to know something else? He inherited a very good D with the Eagles too. Ray Rhodes and staff built it up, Reid took over, handed it over to Jim Johnson (his best hire ever), and stepped out of the way. Only when JJ passed away, all the Ray Rhodes guys retired or left, and Reid tried to work his magic no D did the Eagles complete fall apart on that side of the ball.

Starting from 09 to now we have consistently had one of the worst Ds in the league year in and out. Maybe the VP of Player Personnel should be held responsible? Reid's whole philosophy of ignoring LBs, Safeties, and solely focusing on stockpiling on CBs backfired when those prized CBs couldn't tackle.

I will tell you how frustrating it is to watch him take a seat back, pick a legit D Coordinator, let a real GM run the show, and just do what he does best which is coach up a QB and run offense. Even more surprising is how he allowed the team to remain a 3-4 D. Apparently one of the reasons he finally settled with OLINE coach Juan Castillo to be the DC was because he refused to hire some good up and coming defensive coaches because they would have run or preferred to run a 3-4. No couldn't have that in Philly. Fat fuck.

Why couldn't he do this with the Eagles? He had all the power. He could have hired anyone. But his last 5 years were 1 misfire after another.

Chip has won 3 games but he inherited 90% of the team. He already shows he gets more out of this offense than Reid ever did or even does in KC right now. And I don't think "dump" him is even the right word. Implies we did him wrong. He was here for 14 years, had total power, and was given 2-3 rebuild opportunities. Most coaches never get that much money, time, and power. He had it all. He fucked up. From barely getting into the playoffs in 08 and 10, to building a dream team only to finish 8-8, and then doing even worse the following year and finishing 4-12. There is no question it was the right move. For Reid too. He seems to be less stubborn.

All I'll say is good luck KC if in a few years you haven't won a SB and Reid is there to rebuild your D when you current stars are no longer there.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens going forward with the Chiefs. Highest cap spending in the NFL, with $2 million in cap space. Highest paid defense in the NFL besides the Bengals. They are shelling out money for that defense, wonder if it lasts under Reid. Cause as it stands right now, most of that is Pioli's work.

It's the helmet. A friend is in his 5th year of research on concussions and football. So far the biggest thing they've noticed is the helmet causes a lot of problems because there is no give. They need a helmet that can protect but also still have some give to lessen the impact of hits.

eznark

Banned
At this point, the Browns just need to tank to assure themselves of a top-5 pick and make sure they can get the QB they want.

I don't want to get stuck with Zach Mettenberger.

Really the only teams likely to draft a QB first round in this draft are Jacksonville, Cleveland, Minnesota and maaaaaaybe Philadelphia? It's likely that worst case scenario is you'll get the third QB pick at the very worst.

Manziel seems like a total Lombardi guy.

For one, a lot of the players ARE idiots, and sometimes they need to be protected from themselves.

And two, the crux of the entire lawsuit that just had the NFL pay out a billion dollars was based on the fact that the players DIDN'T know the risks, because the league actively hid the risks from them.
NFL players didn't know the consequences, specifically the increased chance of CTE. They damn sure knew the inherent risk.

rando14

It's the helmet. A friend is in his 5th year of research on concussions and football. So far the biggest thing they've noticed is the helmet causes a lot of problems because there is no give. They need a helmet that can protect but also still have some give to lessen the impact of hits.

I imagine there must be some similarities in the compositions of helmets to that of cars, in terms of decreasing the impulse (classical mechanics) so that the resultant force is less severe. Helmet technology is actually pretty cool, it'd be cool to see the R&D in person.

Top Bottom