• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 8 |OT| - Hail To The Chiefs

Tenumi

Banned
The Detroit Lions don't need cheerleaders. Our offense of good looking guys like Matthew Stafford, Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, Joe Fauria is enough to satisfy girls and have men question their own sexuality.

We have a drumline. That's enough for me.
Former percussionist makes me biased.

WedgeX

Banned
The Detroit Lions don't need cheerleaders. Our offense of good looking guys like Matthew Stafford, Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, Joe Fauria is enough to satisfy girls and have men question their own sexuality.

ibqIERXf9xdZlV.jpg

i38ZKAUhnAQIY.jpg

i29ox3zWuR4R6.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
howcome those players couldn't lead the lions to victory against the bengals?

Well looks don't necessarily lead to win as Jeff Garcia proved for so many years.

The Bengals are a solid team on both sides of the ball, and we should've won, but a bad punt changed the game. Shit happens, I'm still confident with this team if we can make the playoffs.

Even if we lose to the Cowboys I personally won't be in panic mode. The NFC playoff picture is shaping up pretty clearly and the Lions are in it even if we go potentially 4-4 as opposed to 5-3.

Well looks don't necessarily lead to win as Jeff Garcia proved for so many years.

The Bengals are a solid team on both sides of the ball, and we should've won, but a bad punt changed the game. Shit happens, I'm still confident with this team if we can make the playoffs.

Even if we lose to the Cowboys I personally won't be in panic mode. The NFC playoff picture is shaping up pretty clearly and the Lions are in it even if we go potentially 4-4 as opposed to 5-3.

the way i see it there is 1 wild card spot available because the niners/seahawks will have the #5 seed. the bears are done. no one else from the NFC east is making it but the division winner and the only real threat in the nfc south for a wildcard spot is carolina. so i agree with you there.... unless some other team just goes on an insane run i would predict the lions will either win the division or get the #6 seed

RBH

Speaking of cheerleaders, there's a former Atlanta Falcons cheerleader who's a 1st year medical student at my school.

Tenumi

Banned

I can see wins against Bears, Bucs, Giants, and Vikings. That would get to 8-8 with a loss to the Cowboys. Anything more is a bonus to me.

You know, I feel much better now that I've lost my emotional investment in the sport. Sounds so bad, but I feel so much better because of it.

cdyhybrid

It's a distinct side effect of overeating, which offensive linemen specifically are encouraged to do.

Yeah, because to keep your strength at the level expected of pro linemen you need to eat a shitload. Vince Wilfork isn't just shoveling down Big Macs and sitting on the couch Monday-Saturday.

Hunter S.

Best paragraph in the article in my opinion for the noodle arm people. Reading this long article really makes Peyton seem human and lucky.

To this day, Manning’s right arm remains slightly weaker than his left. He still works on that right triceps and nerve, but is resigned to the possibility that they might not ever come fully awake. “I couldn’t tell you whether they’ll come back, and until I stop playing I won’t stop trying,” he says.

He makes up for it, he says, with other things. Like timing, recognition, and disguise. He got some advice from Bill Parcells, the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach who is now an analyst for ESPN: Parcells, a big baseball fan, told Manning not to worry so much about throwing strikes, but to think more like a pitcher and throw junk. “Can you still get ’em out?” Parcells asked. Manning replied puzzled, “What do you mean?” Parcells answered, “There are different ways to move the chains. Can you get it in the end zone is what matters.”

cdyhybrid

Okay?

Vince Wilfork is listed at 324 pounds (though he's no doubt heavier than that). Do you think he gained all that weight eating poached salmon?

Of course not. But when you argue that high school football should be banned because it encourages obesity (as that guy did) you have to ask yourself, who's probably going to be healthier in the long run, PED use/brain trauma notwithstanding: Vince Wilfork and other NFL linemen like Birk and Faneca, or someone who sits in front of a computer for 8 hours a day at work and doesn't exercise?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
We have a drumline. That's enough for me.
Former percussionist makes me biased.

Hah, I had no idea we had a drumline. I went to a HS with probably the best band in the country so I always appreciate the halftime shows the band puts on.

the way i see it there is 1 wild card spot available because the niners/seahawks will have the #5 seed. the bears are done. no one else from the NFC east is making it but the division winner and the only real threat in the nfc south for a wildcard spot is carolina. so i agree with you there.... unless some other team just goes on an insane run i would predict the lions will either win the division or get the #6 seed

It's going to be tough, but I don't think Carolina makes it. I'll be rooting for Tampa hard tmrw. I'm pissed at our WR depth chart. Mayhew should be making calls for trades for some receivers to give Staff some help. I know he has, but he's probably cautious of Josh Gordon.

I'd give up a pick for say a Hakkem Nicks, or Vincent Jackson. We need to win NOW and a solid WR opposite Megatron is exactly what we need. Give up a 2nd or 1st I don't care, just get it done. Either way in next years draft we will have to address our WR depth. Titus Young as talented as he is is in a battle for his life, and Ryan Broyles just hasn't been the same since he tore his other knee ACL.

EDIT: WedgeX how could I forget a stud like Nick Fairley?!

Godslay

Banned
Best paragraph in the article in my opinion for the noodle arm people. Reading this long article really makes Peyton seem human and lucky.

Yeah, judging by that article he's come a long, long, way. From not being able to toss it 5 yards and Helton laughing at him, to being able to perform at this level is a wonder in itself. Stuff of legend really. Now we just have to keep him upright, and finish his career in the right way.

Hunter S.

Yeah, judging by that article he's come a long, long, way. From not being able to toss it 5 yards and Helton laughing at him, to being able to perform at this level is a wonder in itself. Stuff of legend really. Now we just have to keep him upright, and finish his career in the right way.

Damn right!

Farooq

Banned
So apparently Jay Ratliff is cleared to play and is looking for a team.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...f-cleared-to-play-looking-for-a-new-home.html

I thought that the Cowboys cut him based on the fact that he was not healthy and would not play this year. Fucking bullshit given Dallas' D-line injuries, not to mention the fucking cap hit the Cowboys are going to have to take.

There was a whole lot of deceit going on, really curious as to what happened exactly between the Cowboys and Ratliff.

Talamius

As glad as I am that Carolina seems to have gotten their shit partially together, I can't help but think it's because they're playing the easy part of their schedule. They've still got both Falcons games (usually split), both Saints games (split best case scenario), both Bucs games (should win both), but also are at SF, at MIA, MNF at home against the Pats, and home against the Jets. Best case scenario I'm thinking 10-6, but more likely 9-7. I don't know if 9-7 makes it. I think that awful Buffalo loss is going to come back to bite us.

cdyhybrid

As glad as I am that Carolina seems to have gotten their shit partially together, I can't help but think it's because they're playing the easy part of their schedule. They've still got both Falcons games (usually split), both Saints games (split best case scenario), both Bucs games (should win both), but also are at SF, at MIA, MNF at home against the Pats, and home against the Jets. Best case scenario I'm thinking 10-6, but more likely 9-7. I don't know if 9-7 makes it. I think that awful Buffalo loss is going to come back to bite us.

Just win the games against the Niners, Saints, and Pats and you'll be alright in my book.

Spinluck

I read about the Helton story, and him practicing with a lot of his old teammates.

I was in the camp that wanted Manning back for a while, until I saw deep into the 2011 season how shitty our team actually was. And how he would've probably re-injured his neck behind this offense.

That's when I realized he was probably better off somewhere where he could end his career on a good note. More talent, better O-line, and a team that's not looking to reboot but win now.

cdyhybrid

nope! they need to gift wrap us a W just like they did to seattle! be fair panthers!

Seattle is never gift-wrapped anything! We have to fight and claw out every victory because we're the biggest game of the season for everyone we play, and Paul Allen is an upstanding citizen who doesn't use his money to circumvent the rules and gain a competitive advantage (see: Irsay, Jim; Kraft, Robert).

Not happening

Any given Sunday!

Rodgers going to prove once again he's good enough to win with backups and backups' backups and put up big numbers. His season has been pretty underrated.

Godslay

Banned
Of course not. But when you argue that high school football should be banned because it encourages obesity (as that guy did) you have to ask yourself, who's probably going to be healthier in the long run, PED use/brain trauma notwithstanding: Vince Wilfork and other NFL linemen like Birk and Faneca, or someone who sits in front of a computer for 8 hours a day at work and doesn't exercise?

I don't disagree with you. Linemen have to be in good shape rather than just large at the NFL level. They are basically wrestling with other men every single snap. If they are fat and out of shape, they'll wear out. They do have to eat and gain, to maintain both the size and strength over the wear of the season. I would agree that NFL linemen are likely in better shape than guys that just work at their computer all day and don't workout. They have to be, or they won't last.

With that being said, a lot of guys do lose the weight after they are out of the league. Tom Nalen looks nothing like his old self, Schlereth, Saturday, etc. But they were all smaller build guys. Some of the naturally bigger linemen do the opposite though, and seem to blow up.

Damn right!

:)

Rodgers going to prove once again he's good enough to win with backups and backups' backups and put up big numbers. His season has been pretty underrated.
Meh. He's been forcing in deep routes and throwing wild balls.

If he adjusted his game a bit the offense would be next to unstoppable.

It's impressive how him and Boykin were able to turn it around. So far this season is a 2010 clone except now Jordy is Boykin.

Godslay

Banned
I read about the Helton story, and him practicing with a lot of his old teammates.

I was in the camp that wanted Manning back for a while, until I saw deep into the 2011 season how shitty our team actually was. And how he would've probably re-injured his neck behind this offense.

That's when I realized he was probably better off somewhere where he could end his career on a good note. More talent, better O-line, and a team that's not looking to reboot but win now.

Yeah, this has some quotes from Manning and Helton in it.

While he waited to heal, Manning largely disappeared from public view, unwilling to let anyone see his arm in such feeble condition. “I wasn’t just going to throw with anybody around watching,” he says. “I was guarded and protective.” The NFL was in the midst of a four-month labor lockout, which meant he couldn’t use the Colts’ facilities or trainers, so he looked for a place to rehab unobserved. His old college friend Todd Helton, then a first baseman with the Colorado Rockies, suggested he come out to Denver where he could work out secretly and get treatment from the Rockies’ trainers, who were accustomed to dealing with arms.

The first pass Manning threw post-surgery was to Helton, and they were so concerned with privacy that they went to an underground batting cage beneath the Rockies’ stadium. Helton took up a position about 10 yards away and held out his hands. Manning reared back, and threw.

“The ball nose-dived after about five yards,” Manning says.

It didn’t even make it halfway to Helton before it hit the ground. Helton burst out laughing — he thought Manning was joking.

“C’mon, quit kidding,” he said.

“Man, I wish I was,” Manning said.

Well Detroit and the loser of the NFC West are really their competition left for those wild card spots. I mean, they are only 2 games back of the Saints in the division with two games left against them, but that would be a really tough ask.

Assuming the loser of the NFC West gets the 5th seed, it would be between Detroit and Carolina for the last spot. Detroit's remaining schedule is much easier, I could even see them get to 11-5. Can the Panthers get to 11-5? Ehh, I doubt it.

Seattle is never gift-wrapped anything! We have to fight and claw out every victory because we're the biggest game of the season for everyone we play, and Paul Allen is an upstanding citizen who doesn't use his money to circumvent the rules and gain a competitive advantage (see: Irsay, Jim; Kraft, Robert).

Any given Sunday!

lets be honest and agree that seattle should be 4-3 right now but for 2 monumental collapses by loser teams. lets agree to that!

cdyhybrid

I don't disagree with you. Linemen have to be in good shape rather than just large at the NFL level. They are basically wrestling with other men every single snap. If they are fat and out of shape, they'll wear out. They do have to eat and gain, to maintain both the size and strength over the wear of the season. I would agree that NFL linemen are likely in better shape than guys that just work at their computer all day and don't workout. They have to be, or they won't last.

With that being said, a lot of guys do lose the weight after they are out of the league. Tom Nalen looks nothing like his old self, Schlereth, Saturday, etc. But they were all smaller build guys. Some of the naturally bigger linemen do the opposite though, and seem to blow up.

Yep, and I'm not saying it's not harder for naturally bigger guys to drop the weight. But that's hardly a problem unique to football players. I was just saying that obesity and weight gain is pretty far down on the list of concerns people should have when it comes to football, even ignoring the fact that only a specific group of players will ever get to that point.

lets be honest and agree that seattle should be 4-3 right now but for 2 monumental collapses by loser teams. lets agree to that!

Don't be so hard on your team! I think we can agree that the Seahawks had a role in causing those collapses. Plus, you should blame Goodell for scheduling these loser teams for us, we can't make the schedule!

Hunter S.

Usually the guys that gain the most strength have a little fat. Thus you have cutting and building phases with just weight lifters. The lineman got to be in better shape than working at computer with no workout. I know that for sure, in the long run for bone density and overall health. Not to mention the cardio they do.

I dont know if I'd call the Niners loss a collapse, considering there was nothing to collapse to begin with!

talkin' bout the texans and panthers game bruvuh!

the niners lost on purpose. built you up just to tear you down late in the season and destroy your division title dreams. then the legion of.... (what is a word that rhymes with boom but is also an adderall insult?)

i don't care!

Top Bottom