• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 8 |OT| - Hail To The Chiefs

Striker

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Top-10-players-who-could-be-traded.html

"8. G David Diehl, New York Giants – The injury to center David Baas likely makes it harder for the Giants to trade an offensive lineman of any ability. Beyond that, Diehl is 33 and fading. However, getting any offensive lineman at this point is almost impossible, especially one who has high-level experience at left tackle. Diehl is on an expiring contract, so there’s a chance he could move."

"Most likely suitors – Denver, Seattle, Miami."
lol, running out of material to find.

Only in ESPN's eyes is the 31st ranked passing defense in the league "marginally good"

What I don't understand is what happened to the D-Line. I remember Reese being criticized for drafting too many D-lineman, where'd they all go?

Did you watch the game? You wouldn't ask that if you did. Only reason Giants won is because the Vikings were absolutely dreadful. A slightly competent QB should be enough to beat them, much less the Eagles who have owned the Giants recently.

gutshot

What I don't understand is what happened to the D-Line. I remember Reese being criticized for drafting too many D-lineman, where'd they all go?

Did you watch the game? You wouldn't ask that if you did. Onlry reason Giants won is because the ?Vikings were absolutely dreadful. A slightly competent QB should be enough to beat them, much less the Eagles who have owned the Giants recently.

That article is implying that the Eagles have a marginally good secondary, which is clearly not the case.

Did you watch the game? You wouldn't ask that if you did. Onlry reason Giants won is because the ?Vikings were absolutely dreadful. A slightly competent QB should be enough to beat them, much less the Eagles who have owned the Giants recently.

I did watch the game, but eagles with competent QB and good secondary? (Is Vick back? If so then ignore the QB comment)

Dont disagree at all but his comment is likely directed more towards the secondary of the Eagles which is what I was commenting on. The Eagles aren't bringing in a "marginally good" secondary to this game. They are bringing the 31st ranked unit in the league against the pass that have shown marginal improvement recently but I find it laughable to call them "marginally good".

Not that the Giants will take advantage of the secondary anyways, cause we're even more woeful in just about every other category.

The interior of the defensive line is playing decently well (at times). That may not jump out considering how bad we've looked but we've got a nice mix of veteran DT's and young guys who are doing their jobs. We've got a second round pick in Hankins that can't get on the field because guys like Shaun Rogers and Patterson and healthy and doing good work (much to Giants fans annoyance because with the season being as bad as it is, I'd prefer to see what we've got in the younger guys).

The defensive ends are a mess. Justin Tuck is done as a pass rusher. He's still an excellent run defender (rated very highly on PFF in that regard) but he's got little left in the tank when it comes to getting to the QB. Kiwi is ineffective. JPP is injured. There's your DE depth. Reese banked on the old guys rekindling their abilities. Wrong decision.

So that leaves Demontre Moore who can't get on the field outside of special teams because the coaching staff doesn't play young guys if they don't have to (they'll keep trotting out old man Tuck and busted up JPP).

So there's where the defensive line is. Also, even last year myself and others were saying Reese was going to go defensive line because Osi was leaving and we were aging.

JPP needs surgery again? Why not have it now?

Where are you seeing that he needs surgery again? He did an interview recently where he said he will likely need a full offseason to heal from the back surgery he just had. He doesn't feel like he's near 100% right now but is trying to play through it.

squicken

Where are you seeing that he needs surgery again? He did an interview recently where he said he will likely need a full offseason to heal from the back surgery he just had. He doesn't feel like he's near 100% right now but is trying to play through it.

The article you linked

Even if Reese did want the team to get younger, why did he let so much depth walk away from the defensive line? Justin Tuck hasn't been himself for two years. Mathias Kiwanuka hasn't made anyone forget Osi Umenyiora coming off the edge. And JPP said he and the Giants knew all along he was going to need back surgery either this season or next.

gutshot

Phil Simms ranks Eagles offense among five worst units in NFL; Eagles player calls it 'stupid'

So let's get this straight. Phil Simms listed his top and bottom five units in the NFL, with offensive and defensive units in play. That's 64 total units available for selection. And he came away with the NFL's third-ranked offense as a bottom five unit? Yep.

Simms ranked the Eagles offense as the 60th best unit in the NFL on this week's "Inside the NFL." Surely the CBS and Showtime analyst (who I happen to consider one of the best in the business) had sound reasoning, right? Nope.

Simms' explanation was that because analysts and fans thought Chip Kelly would reinvent the game the offense has been a gigantic disappointment.

"I put the Philadelphia Eagles' offense as one of my bottom five. Why did I do it? Not that they are one of the worst five units in the NFL. It's because, 'It's going to be one of the fastest units we've ever seen. What are you going to do to stop? The NFL is … it's going to be unbelievable.'

How is that working out? Is it just the most unbelievable thing you've ever seen?"​

That was Simms' full explanation on 'Inside the NFL.' The panel then skipped to the next topic.

Some Eagles offensive players were taken aback when informed of Simms' assessment.

"Really? That's just stupid. How the hell did he come up with that?" one player quipped.

"Bitter ex-Giant," another said.

Anyone who has watched the Eagles this season knows that if there is a unit that lands on any bottom five it should be their defense. The Eagles have the 32nd-ranked defense. That's dead last. Yet it was their third-ranked offense that felt the wrath of the former Super Bowl champion.

Simms appeared on 97.5 The Fanatic's 'Jon and Sean Show' on Thursday and did nothing like, say, provide a single fact or coherent argument for his selection. Instead, he admitted he hasn't watched any coaches tape of the Eagles this season and said Kelly's offense has been "unique a little bit" and that he was "intrigued."

Simms basically admitted that his only real complaint about the Eagles' offense is that some people were chirping in his ear earlier this year that Kelly would redefine the game. Forget for a minute that the Eagles average over 425 yards per game, have the top-ranked rushing offense and are 12th in points per game (almost 2.5 ppg ahead of Tom Brady and the Patriots and more than 10 points ahead of the Bucs).

Surely the Eagles offense isn't perfect. It has experienced some red-zone problems and quarterback instability. But bottom five bad? Not even close, especially with the explanation that some pundits and fans had unworldly expectations.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The article you linked
They're referring to the decision made in this offseason. They let him play through 2012 with the back issues, etc knowing he would need surgery either this offseason or next season. He elected to get it done this offseason.

..and on that comment what depth did he let walk away? Osi? Osi did nothing in 2012. Trattou? Tracy? Ojomo? I mean, all players that have had flashes in the preseason but have done nothing when given game time opportunities. If you're going to knock him, then knock him for sticking with his old players too long and not drafting in accordance (something Colbert of the Steelers is just as guilty of as an example), not for letting fringe players walk.

Miguel

Houston, unprecedented 10 years 200 million contract.

jesse-pinkman-crying-breaking-bad.gif

So that leaves Demontre Moore who can't get on the field outside of special teams because the coaching staff doesn't play young guys if they don't have to (they'll keep trotting out old man Tuck and busted up JPP).

So how much money does Tuck have on his deal? Giants are like the Steelers in that they like to get every last drop out of their players - Hampton for instance played out his deal and got extended before we let him go and his best days were behind him 3 years ago.

So how much money does Tuck have on his deal? Giants are like the Steelers in that they like to get every last drop out of their players - Hampton for instance played out his deal and got extended before we let him go and his best days were behind him 3 years ago.
Tuck is done after this season. I'd be downright shocked if he's resigned. Maybe a vet minimum deal to keep him as a back-up and let him retire a Giant at best.

Kiwi has two years left on his deal but he's completely cuttable in 2015 (no significant cap savings in doing so in 2014 but look for Reese to pay cut his salary in 2014).

MRI negative on Charles Johnson:

Joe Person @josephperson 7m

Rivera: So far positive news on Charles Johnson. MRI negative.

Brandon Jacobs won't play this week either most likely. The Ice Wagon, Peyton Hillis will likely be the primary back again:

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr 1m

No surprise, but hearing Jacobs will likely be ruled out or at least doubtful. We'll find out for sure momentarily from Coughlin. #nyg

Tuck is done after this season. I'd be downright shocked if he's resigned. Maybe a vet minimum deal to keep him as a back-up and let him retire a Giant at best.

Kiwi has two years left on his deal but he's completely cuttable in 2015 (no significant cap savings in doing so in 2014 but look for Reese to pay cut his salary in 2014).

You mentioned that certain Jints can't get on the field...Giants and Steelers have had a virtually identical 1 and a half seasons, but Tomlin is interjecting youth since clearly the veterans can't get it done anymore (next season the only Cowher guys on defense will be Troy and Ike, and maybe Keisel, though his deal ends this year.)

Giants are 0-6. How come Damontre Morre can't get on the field on a 1-6 team? This kind of indicates that Coughlin is just playing out the season.

MRI negative on Charles Johnson:

Here's a few more tweets:

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 4m
Rivera says that D. Williams has bruised quad. Still has to get an MRI, but injury is not serious. Williams wanted to go back in last night.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 5m
Rivera: Still no specific date to activate Stewart . Hope is still Atlanta.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 9m
Rivera on Raymond James Stadium turf: I saw a lot of dirt flying up.
Wasn't sure whether turf contributed to Johnson injury.

I noticed the field myself on TV. It looked horrid

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
That's not at all what the report you linked to says.

I was just about to say...

According to TMZ, Aris Mardirossian, "a wealthy patent investor" who lives "a few doors down" from Dan Snyder, registered the name "WASHINGTON BRAVEHEARTS" on Oct. 17.

The patent license, per TMZ, is for "entertainment in the nature of football games."

You mentioned that certain Jints can't get on the field...Giants and Steelers have had a virtually identical 1 and a half seasons, but Tomlin is interjecting youth since clearly the veterans can't get it done anymore (next season the only Cowher guys on defense will be Troy and Ike, and maybe Keisel, though his deal ends this year.)

Giants are 0-6. How come Damontre Morre can't get on the field on a 1-6 team? This kind of indicates that Coughlin is just playing out the season.
1-6 now (it was ugly but it was a win dammit!), but Coughlin has never been one to play a rookie if he doesn't have to. Pugh (a rookie) got on the field because of Diehl's injury. Diehl is back now and Pugh has retained the RT position.

Hankins played against the Eagles in the last game and had a great game because of Joseph being out. Then was sat down when Linval Joseph came back from injury. He's likely to play this weekend because Rogers is out.

Coughlin is who he is. He's extremely loyal to his coaching staff and to his vets. He's had to fire coodinators before but that has come from above him. It's a good trait but it's also a frustrating one for fans because he's apt to leave ineffective veterans in their positions because he believes they will improve. That's not him playing out the season and giving up, that's just the way he runs his ship and always has since he took over the Giants 10 years ago. I've questioned the heart of this team many times throughout the years. I've never once questioned Coughlin's.

1-6 now (it was ugly but it was a win dammit!), but Coughlin has never been one to play a rookie if he doesn't have to. Pugh (a rookie) got on the field because of Diehl's injury. Diehl is back now and Pugh has retained the RT position.

Hankins played against the Eagles in the last game and had a great game because of Joseph being out. Then was sat down when Linval Joseph came back from injury. He's likely to play this weekend because Rogers is out.

Coughlin is who he is. He's extremely loyal to his coaching staff and to his vets. He's had to fire coodinators before but that has come from above him. It's a good trait but it's also a frustrating one for fans because he's apt to leave ineffective veterans in their positions because he believes they will improve. That's not him playing out the season and giving up, that's just the way he runs his ship and always has since he took over the Giants 10 years ago. I've questioned the heart of this team many times throughout the years. I've never once questioned Coughlin's.

I see your point about Coughlin, but just the same they're 1-6. And it's not like the team was 12-4 last season, it was a mediocre season followed by an awful one. I get loyalty to your players (especially as a Steelers fan) but this just seems really stubborn, or driven by financial considerations.

effzee

Only in ESPN's eyes is the 31st ranked passing defense in the league "marginally good"

The Eagles D is terrible and one of the worst in the league

BUT I will say at times they have shown flashes and last week did a really good job as a whole D against Romo and Dez.

If we get that sort of effort from the D, which was completely lost since Foles stunk up the place and the Eagles lost, the Giants will face a much tougher team than they did just 3 weeks ago.

Yeah saw that earlier.

It just makes no sense. Its as if all these analysts in their own head decided what the Eagles offense would look like and now that it doesn't, its failing to live up to the hype they themselves created. Chip from day 1 has said that he will run whatever his players can run or fits. He never said it would be 100% the same offense he ran in Oregon.

Its actually the best part of his coaching so far. With Reid, with pretty much the same personnel on offense, we only scored up to or more than 26 points just once. We already have scored that and more 4 times this season. So for Phil Simms or anyone to assume what the offense would be and then claim it fails to work because it doesn't look like what he thinks it should like is beyond dumb.

More thoughts on the Giants game:

I am not comfortable with this game with Vick on a bad hamstring and Barkley as the back up. Plus we haven't won at home in forever. I think the Eagles are the better team but wouldn't shock me one bit if the Giants win. I keep waiting for the Giants to have their break out performance and it could be this week. Sure they didn't look great against Minnesota but all it might take is 1 win to feel better about themselves.

Eagles will need to score early and secure at least a 10 point lead to force the Giants into mistakes. My biggest hope is that the Eagles D continues to improve and plays like it did against Romo and the Cowboys. The game was 7-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter until Foles went out.

squicken

They're referring to the decision made in this offseason. They let him play through 2012 with the back issues, etc knowing he would need surgery either this offseason or next season. He elected to get it done this offseason.

..and on that comment what depth did he let walk away? Osi? Osi did nothing in 2012. Trattou? Tracy? Ojomo? I mean, all players that have had flashes in the preseason but have done nothing when given game time opportunities. If you're going to knock him, then knock him for sticking with his old players too long and not drafting in accordance (something Colbert of the Steelers is just as guilty of as an example), not for letting fringe players walk.

Gotcha. Yeah Colbert and Reese have sort of dropped the ball. The two guys who have been able to consistently draft late and still build quality rosters year after year are Ozzie and Ted thompson. Curious to see which direction the two teams go in with coaches and front office, though it is possible the Steelers still win that division

Gotcha. Yeah Colbert and Reese have sort of dropped the ball. The two guys who have been able to consistently draft late and still build quality rosters year after year are Ozzie and Ted thompson. Curious to see which direction the two teams go in with coaches and front office, though it is possible the Steelers still win that division

Not that I disagree with what you're saying in principle, but who was the last GM to successfully rebuild a championship team on the fly?

Top Bottom