• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 8 |OT| - Hail To The Chiefs

effzee

Thinking about the Eagles Giants more and I think Chip and Co. have to go back to a full run game with an injured Vick starting.

Line up with 2 TEs and 2 RB sets. Get Bryce Brown back involved. McCoy gets 25-30 carries even if he isn't cracking the big ones, Brown gets 5-10, and even Polk gets involved. Why we don't run more i-form sets with Casey at FB baffles me. Some of the best plays both Vick and Foles have made have been out of play action off of those big packages.

Limit Vick to 20-25 throws. All these TEs and backs have to be the focal point this week.

Casey has not been used at all. Ertz has increased his playing time each week but hasn't been targeted much.

Also on the Vikings:

I was at the game last night. Never seen such a terrible game ever. Both sides looked bad. But of course Freeman was just awful. I don't get it. Who is making the decisions in Minn? Freeman has been there less than 2 weeks and he starts and throws 50 times? I get they loaded the box, but EVERY TEAM does that against the Minn Petersons. You don't run him just 13 times in a very close game when you have the best RB in the game.

Frazier is def gone. There is a disconnect between him and what the GM and owner want to do. The year they picked up McNabb I remember hearing the FO wanted Thigpen. Fraizer got his wish. And while McNabb was bad himself, I don't think he was this bad. Ponder or Freeman bad. Ponder they had to play because they wasted a pick on him. Cassel never made any sense even as a backup. And Freeman might be your guy down the road but how in the world do you throw him out there in less than 14 days to throw 50 times?

cdyhybrid

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 1m
THIS JUST IN: Vikings announce Josh Freeman will get a 2nd start Sunday night for the Vikings vs the Packers.

TACO! TACO! TACO! TACO!

Spinluck

Oh_I_See_Fry.gif

;-)

Dragon

Banned
Oh man.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/...ight_out_with_gronk_scheduled_for_nov_11.html

Centered around football, women, and adult beverages -- three favorite features of many a single man in his mid-20s -- the Patriots' tight end will host the inaugural Citi Rob Gronkowski Football 101 Women's Clinic on the Monday evening coming out of the team's bye week, joining with area high school and college coaches to direct activities at an event that promises a "focus on football basics with a social twist."

Gronk Gronk

Spinluck

Nicks could also be playing with the contract on mind.

If the Eagles don't bring back Maclin they better pursue Nicks.

Colts already gave up a 1st but if they hadn't and now with the injury to Harrison, Nicks would make all the sense in the world.

Yea, Grigson really has nothing to work with trade wise. I don't think we can out bid anyone at this point.

Colts fans have compiled a list of Free Agents!

Brandon Lloyd
Laurent Robinson
Devery Henderson
Braylon Edwards
Mohamed Massaquoi
Donte’ Stallworth
Steve Breaston
Michael Jenkins
Deion Branch
Early Doucet
Ben Obomanu
Ramses Barden
David Gettis
Anthony Armstrong
Devin Aromashodu
Courtney Roby (KR)
Chad Johnson
Jabar Gaffney
Derek Hagan
Roscoe Parrish (PR)
Patrick Crayton
Jordan Shipley
Greg Camarillo (PR)
Legedu Naanee
Mardy Gilyard (KR)
Michael Clayton
Terrance Copper
Quan Cosby (PR/KR)

Nothing :-(

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I read that has Luck targeted Wayne like 245* times, and like 57* of those times were under pressure. Fuck.

Completion percentage with Wayne 56.6%.
Without Wayne 27.8%

If only DHB could catch :-(

So your saying Luck only chucks up the deep ball to Reggie Wayne? I`ve heard this argument elsewhere....

jWILL253

Banned
Percy Harvin is back, Breno is expected to be back this week also, and Okung will be back a couple weeks from now. The rich get richer.

As a fan, it's kinda weird to go from "being happy your team won one week, and being appreciative the next, and appreciating the small improvements that the team makes" to "expecting a win, and getting pissed if you don't win". I think that has to do with the fact that the Hawks made such a huge jump from 2010-2012 to 2012-2013.

I'm such a tortured Seattle sports fan... :/

Thinking about the Eagles Giants more and I think Chip and Co. have to go back to a full run game with an injured Vick starting.

Line up with 2 TEs and 2 RB sets. Get Bryce Brown back involved. McCoy gets 25-30 carries even if he isn't cracking the big ones, Brown gets 5-10, and even Polk gets involved. Why we don't run more i-form sets with Casey at FB baffles me. Some of the best plays both Vick and Foles have made have been out of play action off of those big packages.

Limit Vick to 20-25 throws. All these TEs and backs have to be the focal point this week.

Casey has not been used at all. Ertz has increased his playing time each week but hasn't been targeted much.

Also on the Vikings:

I was at the game last night. Never seen such a terrible game ever. Both sides looked bad. But of course Freeman was just awful. I don't get it. Who is making the decisions in Minn? Freeman has been there less than 2 weeks and he starts and throws 50 times? I get they loaded the box, but EVERY TEAM does that against the Minn Petersons. You don't run him just 13 times in a very close game when you have the best RB in the game.

Frazier is def gone. There is a disconnect between him and what the GM and owner want to do. The year they picked up McNabb I remember hearing the FO wanted Thigpen. Fraizer got his wish. And while McNabb was bad himself, I don't think he was this bad. Ponder or Freeman bad. Ponder they had to play because they wasted a pick on him. Cassel never made any sense even as a backup. And Freeman might be your guy down the road but how in the world do you throw him out there in less than 14 days to throw 50 times?

I thought that Casey hurt his shoulder and that was why he didnt play the last 2 weeks? Not like they were using him anyways. I really want to see the 3 TE sets that we saw in the preseason, or lining Lane out wide like they did against the Skins. The offense has been great so far, for the most part, but if Vick is hurt they are going to have to get creative this week.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Percy Harvin is back, Breno is expected to be back this week also, and Okung will be back a couple weeks from now. The rich get richer.

As a fan, it's kinda weird to go from "being happy your team won one week, and being appreciative the next, and appreciating the small improvements that the team makes" to "expecting a win, and getting pissed if you don't win". I think that has to do with the fact that the Hawks made such a huge jump from 2010-2012 to 2012-2013.

I'm such a tortured Seattle sports fan... :/
Well, the only reason that Breno might get the starting job back is because Bowie is still playing a bit like a rookie. Otherwise I'd be glad to see him gone.

At least Mike Rob is around to help block!

effzee

Yea, Grigson really has nothing to work with trade wise. I don't think we can out bid anyone at this point.

Colts fans have compiled a list of Free Agents!

Brandon Lloyd
Laurent Robinson
Devery Henderson
Braylon Edwards
Mohamed Massaquoi
Donte’ Stallworth
Steve Breaston
Michael Jenkins
Deion Branch
Early Doucet
Ben Obomanu
Ramses Barden
David Gettis
Anthony Armstrong
Devin Aromashodu
Courtney Roby (KR)
Chad Johnson
Jabar Gaffney
Derek Hagan
Roscoe Parrish (PR)
Patrick Crayton
Jordan Shipley
Greg Camarillo (PR)
Legedu Naanee
Mardy Gilyard (KR)
Michael Clayton
Terrance Copper
Quan Cosby (PR/KR)

Nothing :-(

Wouldn't shock me to see Colts pursue Maclin this off season. Colts GM comes from Philly FO and Maclin when healthy is a really good WR.

Don't know what he can command in the open market due to his injury. Hope Eagles re sign him no matter what.

cdyhybrid

Well, the only reason that Breno might get the starting job back is because Bowie is still playing a bit like a rookie. Otherwise I'd be glad to see him gone.

At least Mike Rob is around to help block!

They need to run the ball 50+ times this week. Rams are awful. Get Turbin and Michael some work. No need to throw the ball 30 times and have Russell dropping back over and over and getting him killed.

Farooq

Banned
Any team foolish of enough to take Miles Austin off of the Dallas Cowboys hands?

They could use some help with their salary cap situation.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So you're saying Alabama would have beaten the Lions last year?

Well we beat you guys last year so its an interesting question to ask.

No they couldn't. This wet dream of college teams beating NFL teams needs to fucking die right now. It would never happen. Ever.

I`m being facetious. Although I honestly think they`d put up a fight against the Jags or the 2008, 0 and 16 Lions. :(

rando14

They need to run the ball 50+ times this week. Rams are awful. Get Turbin and Michael some work. No need to throw the ball 30 times and have Russell dropping back over and over and getting him killed.

YES. I was hoping we'd see more of him during the Jags game, but this should hopefully be a great opportunity for him to show off his moves!

eznark

Banned
Good to hear Kas finally admit that Stafford would struggle to beat college football teams. Honesty is an important first step.

i6dFduhnMnjZw.gif

It's hard to find things to gif in this game. It's mostly just line play and running backs.

This was the onside kick that Harbaugh called in the 4th quarter. It was a surprise (even the production crew was fooled, you barely saw the kick). Fortunately Stevenson Sylvester (#55) Cut from the team in training camp and brought back 2 weeks ago, did. He smashes Tucker and loosens the ball enough for Williams (#98) to pick it up.

As for the call itself, I thought it was a good one. Ravens/Steelers is a rivalry that is often decided by 3 points (in fact in the last 10 meetings, 8 of the games were decided by 3 points) so whoever has the ball last tends to win. All possessions come at a premium as a result, and the Rats were trailing. They needed to shake shit up.. Fortunately the Steelers were ready for it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No they couldn't. This wet dream of college teams beating NFL teams needs to fucking die right now. It would never happen. Ever.
I dunno, man, with that game last night, I'm pretty sure the Jags, Giants, or Vikings would fall to some college team.

It seems like you wouldn't even need a proper defense when the offense goes three and out on its own.

I dunno, man, with that game last night, I'm pretty sure the Jags, Giants, or Vikings would fall to some college team.

It seems like you wouldn't even need a proper defense when the offense goes three and out on its own.

You would still need a college team that could hold up against the Vikings running game. They threw 50 times because the Giants were stacking the box to stop the run. I bet the Vikings can run for 1st downs all night against any college team, so Freeman's lack of accuracy wouldnt even play into them game. That also doesnt even take into account that the Vikings defense would destroy pretty much any college offensive line. They would be forcing turnovers and giving their offense a short field to work with all game.

A nfl defense would tear a college offense apart. Every NFL team has the best, while a college team has walk ons, kids still growing and getting stronger, etc. They won't hit as hard, run as fast, or be as skilled as a collective compared even to the Jaguars. Only like 5%-10% make it to the NFL. A NFL defense would choke on college offense out so quickly. Field position would be a nightmare for a college team. What offensive line (comprised of 20 years old) is going to step up against the front 7 of a NFL team? Plus most college QBs seem to float most of their god damn throws because defenses in college suck so many balls. Any secondary would ball hawk the fuck out of them. The strength, speed, talent, and game planning would ensure that a college team will never be on the same page, and I don't give a shit how good Alabama thinks they are.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Well, looks like Fauria Future is happening. Lions cut Scheffler today to sign a OT I've never heard of in my life.

Godspeed Scheffler. He had a great season for us in our 2011 Playoff season and I always liked him when he played in Denver with Jay Cutler.

IIRC they cut him because he had his 4th concussion a couple weeks ago so it was time to hang up the cleats.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You say the NFL is the best of the best, but I dunno, statistically the Jags are really that bad. Like, the difference between top 5 and bottom 5 is the same difference between the rest of the bottom 5 and them.

Ambient80

Before anyone rips me for celebrating this, I know it's a dumb metric, and one that we all always make fun of since it's almost always ordered top-to-bottom from best record to worst. I know it has zero implications, is never official, and usually next to no real research put into it.

But, I have to say, I have waited SO LONG to see the Chiefs at the top of the ESPN Power Rankings. Last time we were there was in 2003, and that ended in sadness (wish P. Holmes had got another ring that year). Such a great time to be a fan. I cannot wait to play Denver, even if we get our shit pushed in. Fun times are ahead :D

GO CHIEFS!!!

eznark

Banned
You say the NFL is the best of the best, but I dunno, statistically the Jags are really that bad. Like, the same difference between top 5 and bottom 5 is the the difference between the rest of the bottom 5 and them.

And yet they played the Broncos close for 3 quarters. Give me a break.

bionic77

Before anyone rips me for celebrating this, I know it's a dumb metric, and one that we all always make fun of since it's almost always ordered top-to-bottom from best record to worst. I know it has zero implications, is never official, and usually next to no real research put into it.

But, I have to say, I have waited SO LONG to see the Chiefs at the top of the ESPN Power Rankings. Last time we were there was in 2003, and that ended in sadness (wish P. Holmes had got another ring that year). Such a great time to be a fan. I cannot wait to play Denver, even if we get our shit pushed in. Fun times are ahead :D

GO CHIEFS!!!
It is dumb but every fan has paid too much attention to it at some point. It seems really important when your team is on the rise, but eventually nothing seems to matter unless you win it all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, fine, I'm not really advocating that any particular college team is great or anything, just getting on the bottom end's case here.

cdyhybrid

You say the NFL is the best of the best, but I dunno, statistically the Jags are really that bad. Like, the difference between top 5 and bottom 5 is same the difference between the rest of the bottom 5 and them.

Still, your average journeyman NFL player was in the top 2 or 3 players on their college team (unless they went to one of the perennial powers). But even Alabama and Co. only have 10 or so future NFL players on their roster at any particular time.

Trey

You say the NFL is the best of the best, but I dunno, statistically the Jags are really that bad. Like, the difference between top 5 and bottom 5 is same the difference between the rest of the bottom 5 and them.

Jags would destroy the best team college football could assemble, and it wouldn't even be close.

Let's stop being silly.

eznark

Banned
Jags would destroy the best team college football could assemble, and it wouldn't even be close.

Let's stop being silly.

Hm, I don't necessarily agree with that. At that point you're saying that the Jaguars would destroy like 2-3 years worth of first round picks. I think that's a way more interesting discussion anyway.

Ambient80

It is dumb but every fan has paid too much attention to it at some point. It seems really important when your team is on the rise, but eventually nothing seems to matter unless you win it all.

I know :(

Last time we went to the playoffs with even a decent hope, the Ravens made us their bitches. Hoping this year we'll at least make it past the Wildcard game. I have no delusions we'll make it to the SB or win it, we just don't have the offense (passing, anyway). But it would be a great foundation for Reid and Co. to build off of.

MechDX

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 9m
Texans worked out a few QBs today, John Skelton included, to throw to WRs they wanted to look at, but aren't signing any QBs

WR'ers? Must mean we are trading Dre to the Niners.

Trey

Hm, I don't necessarily agree with that. At that point you're saying that the Jaguars would destroy like 2-3 years worth of first round picks. I think that's a way more interesting discussion anyway.

Those first round picks are only as good as the support structure around them. Really only once in a generation players in relatively autonomous positions can find success regardless of the talent level of the team that drafted them.

Once you remove that context, you have a bunch of athletes who are the best at their level playing against men who are acclimated to a measurably faster and stronger level of play.

Top Bottom