• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 9 |OT| - Doin' It 2003 Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dat unprotected sex.

Sometimes I think Gata has it right by being a sexless loser who lives with his mom in Florida where there is always a beach nearby and no one ever goes to jail for murder. Then I remember that he is a combo Jags/Pats fan.

You talk a lot of shit for someone with no balls

I know you are coming at this from a Cowboys fan perspective, but Stafford stuck a 40 yard throw from the far hash on Durham. Rodgers is probably the only QB in the league who can exploit that relatively small error by the Cowboys DBs. That's just a fantastic throw where it's a win for the Lions more than a loss for DAL. Not that Kiffin wasn't awful most of the game
Great throw by Stafford, no doubt about it. However, I don't think that's the point. The point is that with under a minute to play and no timeouts left, the Lions were going to utilize the sidelines. There's no way that window should have been as open as it was. The safety left too much room for Stafford to make that throw into. He should have rolled in that direction and been cheating toward the sideline. There's nothing else in the middle of the field to occupy his attention.

Now, to be fair, Eli made a similar throw to Manningham in the Super Bowl that beat the Pats. Down the sideline, but in that case the Pats safety was there. Just that Manningham made a fantastic catch on it, kept both feet in bounds and basically proved that God wants to smite evil on Sunday.

Will you be talking this much shit if you lose on Sunday?

Probably. You'll have some lawyer spin on it.
You act like this matters. Our expectations are low. If we beat the Pats then we'll consider the season a success. If we lose it's another L in a long list of L's this season. The better news is that you're going to win your division and carry high hopes into the playoffs. :jnc

And yes we're going to talk shit. We're Steeler fans. You're a Jags/Pats hybrid lizard that crawled out of a swamp.

You act like this matters. Our expectations are low. If we beat the Pats then we'll consider the season a success. If we lose it's another L in a long list of L's this season. The better news is that you're going to win your division and carry high hopes into the playoffs. :jnc

And yes we're going to talk shit. We're Steeler fans. You're a Jags/Pats hybrid lizard that crawled out of a swamp.

You talk a lot of shit for a jax fan

fucking things

I am not a Jags fan.

squicken

And as the game was on the line Rodgers could not technically make the throw Ben made or even the one Fatford had against Dallas.

Good point. But maybe like in the first quarter where the Packers are already winning he could do it

Great throw by Stafford, no doubt about it. However, I don't think that's the point. The point is that with under a minute to play and no timeouts left, the Lions were going to utilize the sidelines. There's no way that window should have been as open as it was. The safety left too much room for Stafford to make that throw into. He should have rolled in that direction and been cheating toward the sideline. There's nothing else in the middle of the field to occupy his attention.

Now, to be fair, Eli made a similar throw to Manningham in the Super Bowl that beat the Pats. Down the sideline, but in that case the Pats safety was there. Just that Manningham made a fantastic catch on it, kept both feet in bounds and basically proved that God wants to smite evil on Sunday.

Yeah I do get the point you guys are making. I doubt he ever thought that throw would be made but he has to make sure it can't

LJ11

I hear they are bringing in Chan Gailey.

If they could only be so lucky!

Lets look at the Mario strip sack from two weeks ago.

Bk1wkGf.jpg

rhuqHDz.jpg

Pretty much a 46 Bear look from the Bills, Leonhard really gets right behind the OLB in a later frame. Man press on the outside, Tannehill should know what's coming.

Phins in ace wing, they have bodies to protect and we all know Clay isn't staying in to block. 52 on the Bills is going to come if the in line TE blocks, he's going to have to occupy him at the very least. Mario isn't dropping, that just leaves Hughes and Alonso as potential pass coverage threats.

Hughes probably isn't dropping, he only covers WRs, lol. Leonhard has really crept into the box so he isn't going to curl to the flats, he's going to be manned up on Clay. Clear mismatch if you ask me, and it confirms that Hughes is coming.

pbCRUrB.jpg

That's Tannehill at the top of his drop, he was sacked about half a second (tops) after he hit his drop. Mario had his man beat, but so did Clay. Pre-snap Tannehill chose to hit the comeback, his favorite route.

sUTPKZM.jpg

Another angle. 5 were coming and Moats/52 had the option, though he's not trying to get to the QB, just needs to occupy TE so he doesn't slip out.

OKT0o9H.jpg

Alonso is robbing the middle, he commits to the direction the QB is looking, does that a lot. Tannehill didn't have the time to get off his read. Clay was wide open if he goes to read 2 because Alonso was out of position.

Case can be made that Tannehill still had Clay, but it's a risk. So is trying to throw a 10-12 yard comeback with Hartline. He's poor anticipating throws over the middle of the field, needs to do a better job in that dept, but you can't do shit in this league if you can't block with 7.

Fans often cry for max protection, but you see here how it limits what you can do. You can basically double two out of the three receivers, not going to do you any favors unless you have a man outside who can win 1 on 1 all day long.

squicken

Great post LJ. Posted this last week

pressure102413-3d8uil.gif

I know another thing teams struggle with on max protect is Green Dog blitzes. Think Parcells/Belichick called it blitzing the formation. Go from a back helping to a back needing to pick up a charging LB 1v1. It's what Bowman killed the Rams with in their TNF game. Richardson stayed in and he would charge. Outweighs Richardson by 50+ lbs and has a head of steam. Kept happening. Never changed.

LJ11

Great post LJ. Posted this last week

pressure102413-3d8uil.gif

I know another thing teams struggle with on max protect is Green Dog blitzes. Think Parcells/Belichick called it blitzing the formation. Go from a back helping to a back needing to pick up a charging LB 1v1. It's what Bowman killed the Rams with in their TNF game. Richardson stayed in and he would charge. Outweighs Richardson by 50+ lbs and has a head of steam. Kept happening. Never changed.

That gif perfectly illustrates what I described about Alonso. Sees Tannehill look left and runs out to that area, commits early. A good QB is going to give him problems, especially if he has time, but that's the key, having time. Aggressive as hell in all aspects.

Troy P did this with great success for years, but he knew which QBs to do this to.

Spinluck

How are you a Colts fan but live in Florida?

Easy Gata, I am a Colts fan, that lives in Florida. I know that may be hard for you to understand (the alligators brain is smaller than a teaspoon) but that is exactly the case and will be forever. Is this you indirectly confirming your Jags fandom?

The chance of that happening is the same as Andrew Luck appearing on the cover of GQ.

Screen-shot-2011-11-18-at-5.51.41-AM.png

Take that back!!

bionic77

Easy Gata, I am a Colts fan, that lives in Florida. I know that may be hard for you to understand (the alligators brain is smaller than a teaspoon) but that is exactly the case and will be forever. Is this you indirectly confirming your Jags fandom?

Screen-shot-2011-11-18-at-5.51.41-AM.png

Take that back!!
Truth hurts.

Don't be a Pats fan. Those pervs are all sexually confused about their qb and consider that to be a reasonable alternative to a championship.

Real fans don't give a fuck what their qb looks like as long as he wins.

cashman

Banned
Truth hurts.

Don't be a Pats fan. Those pervs are all sexually confused about their qb and consider that to be a reasonable alternative to a championship.

Real fans don't give a fuck what their qb looks like as long as he wins.

Yep he's not here 4ur entertainment

Ben-Roethlisberger2.jpg

squicken

The Chud comments on that one makes no sense in a lot of places.

I've been sorta disappointed with Tanier this year. It's clear he doesn't watch all the games, but seems to feel compelled to comment on everything. He used to not do that. Maybe SOE is trying to turn him in to their Peter King?

When he watches games, though, he's pretty insightful. He's got old posts up at Football Outsiders which do a real good job, in plain English, of explaining lots of coverage concepts that are great primers

If they could only be so lucky!

Lets look at the Mario strip sack from two weeks ago.

http://i.imgur.com/Bk1wkGf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rhuqHDz.jpg

Pretty much a 46 Bear look from the Bills, Leonhard really gets right behind the OLB in a later frame. Man press on the outside, Tannehill should know what's coming.

Phins in ace wing, they have bodies to protect and we all know Clay isn't staying in to block. 52 on the Bills is going to come if the in line TE blocks, he's going to have to occupy him at the very least. Mario isn't dropping, that just leaves Hughes and Alonso as potential pass coverage threats.

Hughes probably isn't dropping, he only covers WRs, lol. Leonhard has really crept into the box so he isn't going to curl to the flats, he's going to be manned up on Clay. Clear mismatch if you ask me, and it confirms that Hughes is coming.

http://i.imgur.com/pbCRUrB.jpg

That's Tannehill at the top of his drop, he was sacked about half a second (tops) after he hit his drop. Mario had his man beat, but so did Clay. Pre-snap Tannehill chose to hit the comeback, his favorite route.

http://i.imgur.com/sUTPKZM.jpg

Another angle. 5 were coming and Moats/52 had the option, though he's not trying to get to the QB, just needs to occupy TE so he doesn't slip out.

http://i.imgur.com/OKT0o9H.jpg

Alonso is robbing the middle, he commits to the direction the QB is looking, does that a lot. Tannehill didn't have the time to get off his read. Clay was wide open if he goes to read 2 because Alonso was out of position.

Case can be made that Tannehill still had Clay, but it's a risk. So is trying to throw a 10-12 yard comeback with Hartline. He's poor anticipating throws over the middle of the field, needs to do a better job in that dept, but you can't do shit in this league if you can't block with 7.

Fans often cry for max protection, but you see here how it limits what you can do. You can basically double two out of the three receivers, not going to do you any favors unless you have a man outside who can win 1 on 1 all day long.
Nice post.

Shoot me.

It's so beautiful

Realistically, Detroit only faces one team with a winning record the rest of the season (the Packers). The Steelers and Ravens may pose a threat if they can get to Stafford and I'm sure Eli will go bonkers against Detroit, but the rest of the schedule is really nice from my perspective. I'm sure Schwartz and his little man complex will find a way to ruin everything, but I can't help but believe Detroit can cruise to the playoffs.

eznark

Banned
It's so beautiful

Realistically, Detroit only faces one team with a winning record the rest of the season (the Packers). The Steelers and Ravens may pose a threat if they can get to Stafford and I'm sure Eli will go bonkers against Detroit, but the rest of the schedule is really nice from my perspective. I'm sure Schwartz and his little man complex will find a way to ruin everything, but I can't help but believe Detroit can cruise to the playoffs.
Bookmarked

eznark

Banned
That last one is a bad ball, the rest look to be on Wallace. That out and up...God damn does he just not care? That's an easy touchdown if he runs the route. Ball was exactly where he should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom