• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 9 |OT| - Doin' It 2003 Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Pretty clear PI but he also made no effort to fight for the ball. Just let it come to him. Lazy.

Actually that's not fair. Looks like he was in a position to get destroyed potentially. Tough to fault a guy as lazy for not wanting to be a vegetable.

That last one is a bad ball, the rest look to be on Wallace. That out and up...God damn does he just not care? That's an easy touchdown if he runs the route. Ball was exactly where he should have been.
I have no defense. He is as advertised. The last one wasn't perfect but it still hit him right in the shoulder pads.

Pretty clear PI but he also made no effort to fight for the ball. Just let it come to him. Lazy.
Yep, that's why I made that one. No effort whatsoever to fight for the ball.

eznark

Banned
Do you have the coaches film for that one? Kind of curious to see what else was going on in the play.

It's so hard to judge either the offense or Tannehill because of that line. LJ pointed out yesterday how limited the options are when you try and max protect. The knock against Tanny is that he holds the ball too long, but how much of that is a function of limited routes/options for him that he is waiting to get open.

I mentioned on Sunday that I was really impressed with the way Philbin was using their flex back to sort of show max protect and send him out. I kind of trailed off on that game in the second half so not sure where that went from there.

Do you have the coaches film for that one? Kind of curious to see what else was going on in the play.

It's so hard to judge either the offense or Tannehill because of that line. LJ pointed out yesterday how limited the options are when you try and max protect. The knock against Tanny is that he holds the ball too long, but how much of that is a function of limited routes/options for him that he is waiting to get open.

I mentioned on Sunday that I was really impressed with the way Philbin was using their flex back to sort of show max protect and send him out. I kind of trailed off on that game in the second half so not sure where that went from there.
Nah, I didn't pay for whatever package you need for coaches film. It was around the middle of the third quarter.

I posted the .gifs on a Dolphins fan page and got this response:

2 of those were well defended and the other 2 were bad throws...
So glad I'm not that deluded.

eznark

Banned
The last one was probably a bad throw but Wallace did Tannehill no favors in attempting to come back to the ball. It was a back shoulder route that he decided to drift upfield on. Again, just a lack of effort in the route.

I guess the first one was considered well defended? Not sure which other one he'd be referring to.

squicken

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...htmare-we-start-with-mike-pounceypicture.html

Can't remember who posted that but damn I had really just repressed Sherman's last year at A&M. They talk about him screwing up "Football 101" stuff and that happened so much at the end of his final year. They would blow all these big leads b/c of ridiculous turnovers. At the time it was kind of thought it was a mix of Tannehill having so few starts at QB and Sherman favoring the pass so much. Had these great RBs and NFL linemen and he just kept slinging with big leads

Normally after a year like that, the offseason would be spent going over it and trying to find the problem, but it was such a total clusterfuck that he got fired right after the season. What's weird is that he had some of the best recruiting classes I've ever seen outside Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. You'd never think it to look at him that he could sell himself to 18 year old kids

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...htmare-we-start-with-mike-pounceypicture.html

Can't remember who posted that but damn I had really just repressed Sherman's last year at A&M. They talk about him screwing up "Football 101" stuff and that happened so much at the end of his final year. They would blow all these big leads b/c of ridiculous turnovers. At the time it was kind of thought it was a mix of Tannehill having so few starts at QB and Sherman favoring the pass so much. Had these great RBs and NFL linemen and he just kept slinging with big leads

Normally after a year like that, the offseason would be spent going over it and trying to find the problem, but it was such a total clusterfuck that he got fired right after the season. What's weird is that he had some of the best recruiting classes I've ever seen outside Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll. You'd never think it to look at him that he could sell himself to 18 year old kids
I have never heard anything about Sherman's time at A&M so that's interesting to me. I read that blog this morning but it was so depressing I didn't feel like pulling quotes and posting it here.

Anyway, it sounds like Sherman didn't learn his lesson. I really want to like the guy but it's getting more difficult by the day.

squicken

I have never heard anything about Sherman's time at A&M so that's interesting to me. I read that blog this morning but it was so depressing I didn't feel like pulling quotes and posting it here.

Anyway, it sounds like Sherman didn't learn his lesson. I really want to like the guy but it's getting more difficult by the day.

I mean he took a WR and made him a first round NFL QB. The guy can coach. He also had a ton of NFL talent on the team but the final year was so frustrating. When they were on they were unstoppbable, but then they would lose their minds late in games. Turnovers everywhere. There was talk of poor conditioning. Like I said, after his last loss there was chaos, so he got fired and no one has ever wanted to do a look back at his tenure and what the problems were.

Look at the box scores and see how they would get smashed to fuck in second halves in the losses.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/245/year/2011/texas-aggies

Those throws that Darkest posted - Wallace saw the safety and made a business decision. He's also a body catcher (the gif with Arrington is a perfect example.) Dude has zero hands.

Wallace is one of the most frustrating players i've ever watched. He can single-handedly change a game on one throw but if it's not perfect it's not happening.

eznark

Banned
He seemed like a great coach to me but those 2000-2005 teams were pretty loaded in talent. I honestly kind of don't remember with any clarity that era (2000-2006 everything is a haze for me!) or why Thompson even kept him on for that last year.

bionic77

Those throws that Darkest posted - Wallace saw the safety and made a business decision. He's also a body catcher (the gif with Arrington is a perfect example.) Dude has zero hands.

Wallace is one of the most frustrating players i've ever watched. He can single-handedly change a game on one throw but if it's not perfect it's not happening.
Make them earn it.

I bet the Dolphins could have gotten Wallace for a lot less money. He peaked in his 2nd year and never really added anything to his game other than being a burner. And last season was his contract year and his worst season since being a rookie. That is a huge warning sign to me. If you can't out up the numbers when money is on the line when are you going to?

If you are getting free agents I feel like the bargain bin guys usually make the biggest contributions. It is pretty rare that any big name or money free agents actually come through.

squicken

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/97477/inside-slant-acl-connection-to-shoes

NFL looking at cleats as a potential cause for increase in ACL injuries

"In fact, what we have seen is that most of the ACL injuries are non-contact injuries. We have a Foot and Ankle Committee that looks at shoes and performance. One of the things that we are really focused on [is] … sometimes we are looking for the best-performing shoe and you are sacrificing something on the safety side.

"The other thing is playing surfaces -- making sure that we have a shoe that is proper for that surface. That is what we are studying."

I know on Bradford's injury he said he was just going out of bounds and his foot grabbed and his leg went the other way.

eznark

Banned
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/97477/inside-slant-acl-connection-to-shoes

NFL looking at cleats as a potential cause for increase in ACL injuries

I know on Bradford's injury he said he was just going out of bounds and his foot grabbed and his leg went the other way.

Rodgers has always contended that ankle taping in one of the huge causes for knee injuries. The restricted movement in the ankle results in added stress on the knee joints. He refuses ankle tape and is adamant about keeping his joints unrestricted.

I don't think it is based in any way on science but it makes logical sense to me.

I really do not buy the rule changes as a significant factor in most lower body injuries.

Fantomex

Any of you fine people got some extra Nintendo Club codes you ain't using? My 3dsxl code says it's been used, by the time Nintendo fixes it, those cradles will be gone today :(

eznark

Banned
NFC Rookie of the Month: Eddie Lacy
NFC ST Player of the Month: Mason Crosby

Of course they are.Just as everyone predicted.

squicken

Rodgers has always contended that ankle taping in one of the huge causes for knee injuries. The restricted movement in the ankle results in added stress on the knee joints. He refuses ankle tape and is adamant about keeping his joints unrestricted.

I don't think it is based in any way on science but it makes logical sense to me.

I really do not buy the rule changes as a significant factor in most lower body injuries.

Makes sense, but I can see why guys tape their ankles. Constantly stepping on each others feet would probably lead to ankle sprains.

MjFrancis

I love rain. All I want to do is sit andwatch and listen to it hitting the windows.
I used to work in a warehouse with a metal roof. The sound of the rain was imposing - and living around Seattle, ever-present. You'd either grow to love it or go mad.

Ah yes, perfect reading to ruin my Halloween morning, followed by another two great quarters by the dolphins only to see them piss it away. (That's a best case scenario for tonight, I see us getting killed like we usually do on prime time tv)

ShaneB

I used to work in a warehouse with a metal roof. The sound of the rain was imposing - and living around Seattle, ever-present. You'd either grow to love it or go mad.

Yeah, I love rain, and snow fall even more so, but I think I'd go mad if I had to constantly deal with grey and gloomy days. But it's nice every few days. Lately I've just been sitting in my car after work and reading on those rainy days.

I mean he took a WR and made him a first round NFL QB. The guy can coach. He also had a ton of NFL talent on the team but the final year was so frustrating. When they were on they were unstoppbable, but then they would lose their minds late in games. Turnovers everywhere. There was talk of poor conditioning. Like I said, after his last loss there was chaos, so he got fired and no one has ever wanted to do a look back at his tenure and what the problems were.

Look at the box scores and see how they would get smashed to fuck in second halves in the losses.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/245/year/2011/texas-aggies
Wow, you're right. It's weird because conditioning also seems to be an issue with the Dolphins this season, especially with the o-line which seems to give up almost all of its sacks late in the game. A part of that is due to abandoning the run game I'm sure but it's still been a trend that has really stuck out to me. I doubt Sherman would have anything to do with conditioning in Miami, though.

The frustrating thing is I really like some of the stuff Sherman has brought on the offensive side of the ball. I like his aggressive play-calling and heavy use of the spread and shotgun. I like how he uses Hartline and especially Gibson. The problem is, he seems to favor the pass way more than he should (and Philbin is certainly not helping with that issue) and he seems to be getting worse and worse at making adjustments mid-game as the season goes on.

I'm man enough to admit it; you were right. It only took me half a season to sour on him.

Lacy seems to be the favorite. Though I heard Gil Brandt say it was between DeAndre Hokpins and Laveon Bell.

I think it's probably time for Sirius to put ol' Gil out to pasture. Hopkins had 8 catches in October.

I'll put in the word :p.

He gets away with the NFL.com articles because I have to imagine someone else is writing for him with his "input". But it's impossible to listen to him on the radio, it really is bad at this point. Every time I listen to him he's rambling about something random and pretty often not related to football. Shame to see, but he's definitely lost his way a bit with his age. Maybe he can do like an hour segment a week like Madden does or something

Geno, media will make it Geno.

Obviously it's still early but if he manages to get them in the playoffs I'm sure he'll get a lot of consideration.

Wow, you're right. It's weird because conditioning also seems to be an issue with the Dolphins this season, especially with the o-line which seems to give up almost all of its sacks late in the game. A part of that is due to abandoning the run game I'm sure but it's still been a trend that has really stuck out to me. I doubt Sherman would have anything to do with conditioning in Miami, though.

The frustrating thing is I really like some of the stuff Sherman has brought on the offensive side of the ball. I like his aggressive play-calling and heavy use of the spread and shotgun. I like how he uses Hartline and especially Gibson. The problem is, he seems to favor the pass way more than he should (and Philbin is certainly not helping with that issue) and he seems to be getting worse and worse at making adjustments mid-game as the season goes on.

I'm man enough to admit it; you were right. It only took me half a season to sour on him.

I like some of the stuff Sherman has done as well...which pisses me off even more that we still don't have anything that resembles an oline after Ireland has spent over 100 million on....and now they are wasting away any potential Tannehill has. UGH I hate that I love this team.

Also just saw this on my Twitter:
BX6e-K0CUAEtl4z.jpg:small

Yup.

exarkun

Mike Sherman can coach? I would say its most selective areas of coaching for a person who has been head coach for multiple teams. Can he coach QBs? Yes. Offensive Lines? Yes. WR's? Yes. Anything else? Ass. Assy ass ass ass ass.

I dont pull for anyone in the UT v A&M stuff, but god watching A&M put up points and then lose in spectacular fashion during his time there was comedic gold. His defenses couldn't tackle, his WRs would start giving up on routes cause they would run the wrong routes or get depressed at the end of games which certainly didn't help Tanny's interception rate, which was hit 3-4 a game at the height of their combined suckage.

Tanny is surprisingly decent. At A&M I thought he was a goober with good leadership skills (cause his teammates loved him) that had a coach trying to shift the blame for their poor seasons on someone else. Now, hes better than Matt Schaub on occasion. Thats pretty good for a former WR

edit: Was Sherman still the coach when A&M lost to OK St by letting them come back like 21-24 pts in the second half without A&M scoring in the second half?

eznark

Banned
Dolphins need to fire Philbin so he can come home. You made your money Joe, time to come home now. Return to greatness.

squicken

edit: Was Sherman still the coach when A&M lost to OK St by letting them come back like 21-24 pts in the second half without A&M scoring in the second half?

Yeah, but they blew lots of leads, like you said. As far as defense, man that is the Big 12. Can't remember the last time I would say anyone had a good defense. I mean people talked up K-State last year and Baylor put 50+ on them

Holy shit, Atlanta's currently on pace to be the first team in 30 years not to finish with at least 1000 yards total team rushing if they continue with their game averages.

Last week Matt Ryan was our leading rusher with a whopping 13 yards or something like that.

The heralded SJAX made his grand return to center stage to save the Falcons and finished with 6 yards.

Can't throw, can't run, can't defend, can't coach.
The team fucking sucks. Michael Turner is probably sitting at home laughing his fat ass off.

Didn't Talon say he expected 1500 all purpose yards out of SJax?

Falcons are a mess, but Stephen Jackson is finished. Wasted his good years with St. Louis.

Bowser

Last week Matt Ryan was our leading rusher with a whopping 13 yards or something like that.

The heralded SJAX made his grand return to center stage to save the Falcons and finished with 6 yards.

Can't throw, can't run, can't defend, can't coach.
The team fucking sucks. Michael Turner is probably sitting at home laughing his fat ass off.

ZtJVS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom