• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 CC |OT| Holy Grail

HabeeNo

Now this gif I made during halftime makes no sense. Thanks Pack.

vvtsar.gif

Fantastic LOL

Talon

Those possessions are so far a part from the situation at hand they shouldn't even be brought up. The reality at halftime was that the Packers were up 16-0; how are the first few possessions more to blame than everything that occurs after half time?

Let's look at individual plays that would have effectively ended the game: if the Packers recover the onside kick, if the Packers get a first down and run the clock, if Clinton Dix makes another interception and returns it for a touchdown, if Dix makes a routine defensive play on that 2pt conversion moonball. There are a few more plays that GB left on the field that would have mattered more that I didn't even bring up.

Basically, the only thing that "matters" in ball games are the last few possessions. It's a game of possessions and time management, not points, per se. Leads get overtaken all the time, and if those field goals are TDs it's no guarantee the game is won. Whereas critical plays in the late stages of the game would have been decisive.
Are you fucking 14-years-old?

A football game is not just a constituent of the end. The result is an amalgam of the full 60 minutes. The first three quarters don't float off into the ether. If the Packers execute and score TDs instead of kicking FGs, they carry the game out of reach.

This is the same logic that leads to the Bayless/Banks "Oh, look at all those comeback wins" horseshit. How is that more valuable than a QB that keeps pressing on the gas and blowing opponents out? It isn't.

Colasante

Well, if the season ends today... I'm still happy that the Patriots had Darrelle Revis for a season. I never expected to see that. I'm happy that Gronk stayed healthy and reaffirmed his status as GOAT TE. And I'm happy to see Jimmy Garoppolo drafted, so I know the post-Brady years will at least remain as handsome, if not as successful.

Damn Packers fans must be absolutely gutted right now. That was probably the worst loss in playoff history. Even worse than Oilers - Bills IMO since that was just a wildcard game.

But they won't play like this. O-Line will be healthier. Richardson the speedster will be back.
Sherman/Thomas will be healthier.

So, no. Only threat from the Pats is Gronk. Defensively, the Pats are good, but overrated.

Never said they will play like that, but you never know

So I took a bit of a GAF hiatus, but I wanted to come back just to say how fucking awesome that Seahwaks comeback was. I wanted the Packers to win but damn I love me some Beast Mode.

Now let's go Pats!

Syrinx

That was seriously the most unbelievable football game I've ever seen. God, what was Seattle's win probability after that fourth Wilson INT? They were fucking dead. Must suck hard to be a Packers fan right about now.

Anyhoo, go Colts.

Trey

Are you fucking 14-years-old?

A football game is not just a constituent of the end. The result is an amalgam of the full 60 minutes. The first three quarters don't float off into the ether. If the Packers execute and score TDs instead of kicking FGs, they carry the game out of reach.

This is the same logic that leads to the Bayless/Banks "Oh, look at all those comeback wins" horseshit. How is that more valuable than a QB that keeps pressing on the gas and blowing opponents out? It isn't.

No, I actually understand football and determinism. It's why every time someone says some dumb shit like "if they would have gotten a TD 46 minutes earlier in the game, they wouldn't be in this position!!!" I roll my eyes.

All the plays in the beginning of the game set up the final few possessions. Those final few possessions determine who wins the game.

Top Bottom