• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 CC |OT| Holy Grail

TheFatOne

Also, a quick point. Shotgun runs all day reeks of Peyton Manning. Gives him the option to bail out of the play at will no problem.

Sanjuro

Actually, I'm just going to concede part of my argument because I did a quick stat check and overlooked one incredibly stupid thing on my part.

I'll still stand by my argument that a stupid coach is a coach who isn't managing the clock as well as the game though.

You would consider this a smart coach?

We are down by a score men and this is likely our last possession. Don't FORGET! This game is about the clock. If I see any of you motherfuckers stop this clock, YOU'LL BE RIDING THE PINE! It's about the Casio statistics! NOT THE POINTS! Now you go out there and play COWBOYS TIMEBALL! hoooraaaah!

Regarding the Dez play - I'm surprised more people aren't questioning why they threw a 30 yard pass down the sideline to Bryant instead of giving Murray the ball on 4th and 2.

Because complaining about officiating is more entertaining!

Hawks-Pats Bowl incoming, blah. This season pretty much sucked.

Coach Dad is gone from the Steelers. Kind of bitter sweet, but I think the D needed a change. Another measuring stick for Tomlin as yet another bit of the Cowher days goes away.

Sephzilla

We are down by a score men and this is likely our last possession. Don't FORGET! This game is about the clock. If I see any of you motherfuckers stop this clock, YOU'LL BE RIDING THE PINE! It's about the Casio statistics! NOT THE POINTS! Now you go out there and play COWBOYS TIMEBALL! hoooraaaah!

I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Yeah, lets take a shot at the end zone on 4th and 2 when your league leading running back is averaging 5 yards a carry against a soft defense and risk giving the MVP of the league 4 minutes to kill your post-season. Lets not just give the ball to our best player, milk the play clock after that play against a team that has only 1 time out, and get 3 more chances to take a shot at the end zone after that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You would consider this a smart coach?

First and 10 on your own 10yd line. 4 minutes left in the game, down 5...

RB breaks through the tackles and is home free, nobody anywhere near him he's going to get the touchdown...wait! The head coach is sprinting down the sideline and yelling something at him:

"fall down idiot! There's still 4 minutes left! We need to conserve time!"

jakncoke

Banned
Because complaining about officiating is more entertaining!

Hawks-Pats Bowl incoming, blah. This season pretty much sucked.

Coach Dad is gone from the Steelers. Kind of bitter sweet, but I think the D needed a change. Another measuring stick for Tomlin as yet another bit of the Cowher days goes away.

Ike, Troy prob gone as well. Aint much left from Cowher last team

Syrinx

Yeah, lets take a shot at the end zone on 4th and 2 when your league leading running back is averaging 5 yards a carry against a soft defense and risk giving the MVP of the league 4 minutes to kill your post-season. Lets not just give the ball to our best player, milk the play clock against a team that has only 1 time out, and get 3 more chances to take a shot at the end zone after that.

You're not going to have the best WR in football matched up in a 1-on-1 for the rest of the game; that's your best chance to score right there. Again, if you don't get the TD there, you run the risk of getting yourself in another, probably less desirable, 4th down situation (particularly if you're conservatively draining clock), or committing a turnover.

That was their shot, they took it.

Sanjuro

Yeah, lets take a shot at the end zone on 4th and 2 when your league leading running back is averaging 5 yards a carry against a soft defense and risk giving the MVP of the league 4 minutes to kill your post-season. Lets not just give the ball to our best player, milk the play clock against a team that has only 1 time out, and get 3 more chances to take a shot at the end zone after that.

You're talking about two different things here, and in doing so trying to mix philosophies.

What if Murray lead the play and managed to score on that play? What an idiot!

Sephzilla

You're not going to have the best WR in football matched up in a 1-on-1 for the rest of the game; that's your best chance to score right there. Again, if you don't get the TD there, you run the risk of getting yourself in another, probably less desirable, 4th down situation (particularly if you're conservatively draining clock), or committing a turnover.

That was their shot, they took it.

They weren't going to get another shot? Did we watch the same game? The Packers had no answer for Witten the entire game and Murray was having a pretty respectable game as well. They would have had plenty of shots after that if they just let Murray run the ball.

Bread

Banned

Yeah, lets take a shot at the end zone on 4th and 2 when your league leading running back is averaging 5 yards a carry against a soft defense and risk giving the MVP of the league 4 minutes to kill your post-season. Lets not just give the ball to our best player, milk the play clock after that play against a team that has only 1 time out, and get 3 more chances to take a shot at the end zone after that.
Why is milking the clock even being discussed? The debate is go for a run on a play when the defense is defending the run, or throw the ball up to one of the best receivers in the game on a 1 on 1 matchup. I'd go for the home run every time.

Interesting point mad on Highly Debatable in that my Marshawn Lynch may possible have an social anxiety disorder. That last post game interview looked kinda bad.

Syrinx

They weren't going to get another shot? Did we watch the same game? The Packers had no answer for Witten the entire game and Murray was having a pretty respectable game as well.

I didn't say they wouldn't have another shot; I said that was going to be their best shot on that drive. You have Dez on a 1-on-1, you take it. Every time.

Spinluck

Gronk is by far the best TE I've ever seen play, seriously, fuck the Pats.

The guy can run all the routes, knows how to get away with push offs, has hands and size, and any QB that has descent ball placement can get it to him 90% of the time. You can put him at WR or whatever, it doesn't fucking matter.

Not only that, but line that goof at either end and he blocks about as good as a tackle in the run game—at least against us. Fuck him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Interesting point mad on Highly Debatable in that my Marshawn Lynch may possible have an social anxiety disorder. That last post game interview looked kinda bad.

Could also be an introvert. Which isn't allowed in sports it seems.

Also did I see the score wrong but wasn't Green Bay up 5 points? What's all this about milking the clock on the 25yd line?

Did touchdowns suddenly become an easy thing to achieve?

Sanjuro

The guy can run all the routes, knows how to get away with push offs, has hands and size, and any QB that has descent ball placement can get it to him 90% of the time. You can put him at WR or whatever, it doesn't fucking matter.

Not only that, but line that goof at either end and he blocks about as good as a tackle in the run game—at least against us. Fuck him.

That is just the way they play. Hernandez was actually more of a WR type TE. Gronk can just do more overall.

Bread

Banned
If by interesting point you mean stupid baseless idea that they have no right to speculate on then I agree.

Sephzilla

I didn't say they wouldn't have another shot; I said that was going to be their best shot on that drive. You have Dez on a 1-on-1, you take it. Every time.

*Shrug* I dunno, I just didn't think that was a very good time to take that shot. Even if they get that play it's not like that would have been the dagger that ended the game. That was an incredibly risky decision for something that at best gives you a 3 point lead and, at worst, ends your season.

Bread

Banned

Ya he's pretty alright
*Shrug* I dunno, I just didn't think that was a very good time to take that shot. Even if they get that play it's not like that would have been the dagger that ended the game.
When you're down in the 4th quarter in the playoffs, you aren't worrying about time. You worry about giving your team a chance to win.

Nori Chan

The whole Broncos organization is a mess. How the fuck do you let your ancient QB go out and play a whole month with a torn quad? He could've sat the last game against oakland and have at least two weeks to rest. Even sit against the Bengals game and settle for the 3rd seed. I'm pretty sure even Brock can beat the raiders.

oh well back to obscurity with broncos gaf

Just Ben and Heath if the Steelers jettison those guys.

I guess it was time. Doesn't change the real problem though, which is that we just don't have a lot left on defense. If our next draft doesn't hold up I imagine we will be calling back some of those guys again.

Sephzilla

Gata how do you feel about the Pats taking on the Colts?

I'm more excited about Luck vs Brady than I would have been about Peyton vs Brady again. We've been spared the hype machine that would have built up Peyton vs Brady like it was the ultimate showdown of two gods.

Spinluck

The whole Broncos organization is a mess. How the fuck do you let your ancient QB go out and play a whole month with a torn quad? He could've sat the last game against oakland and have at least two weeks to rest. Even sit against the Bengals game and settle for the 3rd seed. I'm pretty sure even Brock can beat the raiders.

oh well back to obscurity with broncos gaf

I've seen Brock play. I don't think he scores anything but a FG on us yesterday, honestly speaking here.

Actually, they would probably run more with him in but I don't think he would've made a huge difference.

Could also be an introvert. Which isn't allowed in sports it seems.

Also did I see the score wrong but wasn't Green Bay up 5 points? What's all this about milking the clock on the 25yd line?

Did touchdowns suddenly become an easy thing to achieve?

That maybe the case also

If by interesting point you mean stupid baseless idea that they have no right to speculate on then I agree.

With the way he act someone whether right or wrong was gonna make that assumption. I don't think it's stupid though seeing as how he acts but maybe it's more of Kave's point anyway.

Bread

Banned
I've seen Brock play. I don't think he scores anything but a FG on us yesterday, honestly speaking here.

Actually, they would probably run more with him in but I don't think he would've made a huge difference.
I don't think anyone is saying Brock should have played yesterday. Manning was bad, but I think the gameplan did the offense no favors. The fact that they came out in the second half and continued to throw low percentage passes with a gimp qb...hilarious.

Nori Chan

yup with Brock playing more touches with CJ and he would burn it up

Narag

I do not want I do not want the Colts to win anything. Fuck the luckiest team in all of professional sports. My preferred order of winning:

1) Seahawks
2) Packers
3) Patriots
4) Ebola
5) Herpes
6) Zombie apocalypse
7) The rapture
8) Colts

Can't you be happy for us just once?

Sanjuro

I don't think anyone is saying Brock should have played yesterday. Manning was bad, but I think the gameplan did the offense no favors. The fact that they came out in the second half and continued to throw low percentage passes with a gimp qb...hilarious.

I'd say put him in, but it all depends on the circumstances. The only two reactions I get from hearing about the injury post game are "Should he have played?" and "Seems like an attempt at a positive spin one day removed."

MRSA

Banned

If it insures a Pats loss I will call up Mark Davis and have him loan out Khalil Mack to the Colts for one game.

I guess it was time. Doesn't change the real problem though, which is that we just don't have a lot left on defense. If our next draft doesn't hold up I imagine we will be calling back some of those guys again.

I think that's false. Steelers need to let go of the past before they rebuild. These old linebackers are nice nostalgia, but Deebo is not winning another chip for us. As much as it pains me Lebeau is part of that as well.

This is the new NFL. teams need speed on the back end to compete with the Gronks and Graham's of the world. Seahawks D is so successful because of their speed on the back end. Pack is trying to be versatile with its personnel (though they are going through the same growing pains Lebeau's D did).

Steelers front 7 is rebuilt, and was playing well together at the end of the season. Gay is in his prime and Cortez has the talent. Let's not fall into the same "Our (blank) is the worst in the league" trap everyone does.

Respect

Did Vinovich feel the need to troll Pats fans? That call he made on overturning the Vereen fumble basically sounded like he was going to confirm the ruling on the field until his last word.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's cool, I'd say the same about Tammy.

Lol that's fine you have a right to your opinion.

I hope people would publicly come out and say this. We need an excuse for "they don't believe in us" or they don't believe in me with Russell. Keep adding those chip on his shoulders please. God I pray Chris Carter call Baldwin super duper mediocre.

Real story I went to the Seattle Pro Shop during a Baldwin singing and someone mention CC. He smiled and said man too many kids around for me to say what I really want to say about him.

I loled so hard.

I'm not sure if this is anger/hostility or you're being genuine. I think Russell Passes the eye test for the most part, but he's very young still, He's definitely worked his way up a list, but he hasn't carried a team alone yet, and that's fine it's just something he will have to go through. It's wrong to put him above peyton (i know he sucked yesterday), Romo, so on and so forth just yet.

Bread

Banned
Did Vinovich feel the need to troll Pats fans? That call he made on overturning the Vereen fumble basically sounded like he was going to confirm the ruling on the field until his last word.
He was clearly down, why were you worried in the first place?

Top Bottom