• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 CC |OT| Holy Grail

Bread

Banned
Soo the Broncos should have been running the ball more. Like we said yesterday.

Isn't Peyton the de facto play caller in that offense?

Sanjuro

You probably would have had the same result with Brock, maybe some more yards and an extra touchdown, but probably a pick or two to re-balance. With Peyton, if they weren't doing press coverage or covering the screen so well, he would have been able to do a lot more. Colts played a perfect game plan against Peyton's injury.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Did the Colts call Kevin Nash prior to the game for the Big Sexy Perfect Game Plan?

Sephzilla

Regarding the Dez play - I'm surprised more people aren't questioning why they threw a 30 yard pass down the sideline to Bryant instead of giving Murray the ball on 4th and 2.

Tabris

Most runs were getting them a couple yards at most. Colts were taking away the run and the screen most. Colts adjusted after that first drive.

I don't want their pure souls corrupted and tainted by an evil ring. Plus McCourty will be winning a ring next year with the Giants, so I can't feel too sorry for him.

Picked a good time to go to my first Rutgers game of the year last night. The RAC was rocking. Where's Relly, isn't he a Badgers fan?

How 'bout you go fuck yourself?

Tamanon

Banned
Regarding the Dez play - I'm surprised more people aren't questioning why they threw a 30 yard pass down the sideline to Bryant instead of giving Murray the ball on 4th and 2.

Eh, that's a good playcall. One on one coverage for your star receiver. PI/Illegal Contact/Catch. All good outcomes.

Spinluck

18 carries for 80 yds, and 4.4 ypc average.

One might say they were having success running the ball.

Sephzilla

Eh, that's a good playcall. One on one coverage for your star receiver. PI/Illegal Contact/Catch. All good outcomes.
A lot of teams seem to make this call of late.

Risk/reward isn't worth it in my opinion because you introduce a bunch of extra unnecessary variables into the mix for that situation. What if Dez runs the wrong route, what if coverage is solid, what if Romo throws a bad pass? And even if Dez does catch the ball, it's 1st and goal on the 1 meaning Dallas pretty much scores on the next play and leaves a ton of time for Green Bay to rally. Murray meanwhile was unstoppable the entire day minus the one fumble and if he gets the first down then Dallas can eat away a ton of the clock. The reward for going for it with Murray is a lot greater than going for it with Dez.

Sanjuro

Risk/reward isn't worth it in my opinion because you introduce a bunch of extra unnecessary variables into the mix for that situation. What if Dez runs the wrong route, what if coverage is solid, what if Romo throws a bad pass? And even if Dez does catch the ball, it's 1st and goal on the 1 meaning Dallas pretty much scores on the next play and leaves a ton of time for Green Bay to rally. Murray meanwhile was unstoppable the entire day minus the one fumble and if he gets the first down then Dallas can eat away all of the clock.

Running it on 4th and 2 is a risk, and offers no intangibles.

Zeke

Pack were bringing the blitz Romo checked out of the play. He knew he had Dez one on one so he threw it up. Don't get me wrong I'd would have perffered a shorter route to pick up the first but it's a moot point. Dallas had opportunities to put points up and blew it. It is what it is.

Sephzilla

Running it on 4th and 2 is a risk, and offers no intangibles.

And if Murray gets stuffed the result is the exact same as an incomplete pass, but the perks of running for the first in that situation are much greater. That passing play perplexes the fuck out of me considering how dominant Murray and the offensive line were the entire game. Even on the play Murray fumbled, he had such a huge hole that he would still be running if he didn't lose the rock.

Sanjuro

And if Murray gets stuffed the result is the exact same as an incomplete pass. That passing play perplexes the fuck out of me considering how dominant Murray and the offensive line were the entire game. Even on the play Murray fumbled, he had such a huge hole that he would still be running if he didn't lose the rock.

You said the play was a risk/reward, I said the run was just a risk. The result of a first down is exactly the same, the reward is points on the board or in better position to do so.

Spinluck

Most runs were getting them a couple yards at most. Colts were taking away the run and the screen most. Colts adjusted after that first drive.

Colts run D doesn't suck like it used to, but they're middle of the line and still suspect.

We may eat you up in the backfield for a loss and allow some 1-2 runs, but pound away enough and you'll get a 7+ yard run or a big play. Persistence is key.

Author Jones makes a huge difference and collectively we may not be the best at stopping the run, but we have individual players with stats that suggest we are good at stopping the run.

So in conclusion.

Colts suck.

brentech

Murray meanwhile was unstoppable the entire day minus the one fumble and if he gets the first down then Dallas can eat away a ton of the clock.

Code:
D. Murray	25	123	4.9	1	30

E. Lacy         19      101  	5.3   	0	29

He had a good day, but just like Lacy, he got stood up a handful of times near the line. Only thing I'm saying is, let's not say he was unstoppable.

Sephzilla

You said the play was a risk/reward, I said the run was just a risk. The result of a first down is exactly the same, the reward is points on the board or in better position to do so.

In that situation though clock management is just as important. If Dez catches that ball and they score right away, Green Bay could end the game on the next drive because they'd have plenty of time left to drive down the field and kick a game ending field goal.

They averaged 4.4 yards per carry. They should have kept running it. It was idiotic.

Foxball. Man I hope he's gone today like is being suggested... At this point, I kind of hope Mike Shanahan and son come back to Denver. At least that way I KNOW the running game will be established.

#FireFoxandGase

TheFatOne

Colts run D doesn't suck like it used to, but they're middle of the line and still suspect.

We may eat you up in the backfield for a loss and allow some 1-2 runs, but pound away enough and you'll get a 7+ yard run or a big play. Persistence is key.

Author Jones makes a huge difference and collectively we may not be the best at stopping the run, but we have individual players with stats that suggest we are good at stopping the run.

So in conclusion.

Colts suck.

Bingo. Broncos a couple times took a loss on a run play on first down, and Manning was too shook to run again. They would stop the run, and he would chuck it deep down the sidelines. Dude was horrendous. Surprised they didn't come out in power run formations then try and go up tempo. Start pounding the ball then force the Colts to make changes and start playing the match up game.

brentech

B7Kjh-_CcAAEuXJ.jpg:large

Sanjuro

In that situation though clock management is just as important. If Dez catches that ball and they score right away, Green Bay could end the game on the next drive because they'd have plenty of time left to drive down the field and kick a game ending field goal.

No. You aren't thinking about that whatsoever. That's stupid.

Respect

Other variables have to be added at this point though (if DAL gets the call and gets a TD). They definitely go for 2 and if they get it have the 3 pt lead forcing GB to get a TD to win. I think I still like a gimpy Rogers against the DAL D to get that TD if he has 4 downs to get a first down, but it is certainly much more difficult than getting simply a FG. Of course DAL could potentially fail the 2-pt conversion and then GB is in the position of needing just the FG to win.

Sanjuro

Except the exact thing I'm talking about happened immediately thereafter sans the necessary field goal

I don't follow.

Dallas didn't score the touchdown. Never got the ball back.

How does taking the clock into account help them score that touchdown?

Sephzilla

Other variables have to be added at this point though (if DAL gets the call and gets a TD). They definitely go for 2 and if they get it have the 3 pt lead forcing GB to get a TD to win. I think I still like a gimpy Rogers against the DAL D to get that TD if he has 4 downs to get a first down, but it is certainly much more difficult than getting simply a FG. Of course DAL could potentially fail the 2-pt conversion and then GB is in the position of needing just the FG to win.

In either situation Green Bay has plenty of time to march down the field and either try to extend the game or win the game. If they run the ball with Murray on that 4th down play and take a more methodical march down the field (and presumably score) then Green Bay is pretty much crippled at that point.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Someone can confirm it but I'm pretty sure I heard it looked like they were setting up for a run play but checked out of it based on the coverage.

In hindsight it's easy to say he shouldn't have made the throw but fact is Romo threw a fantastic ball there to one of their best offensive weapons, it's just unfortunate that the rules are how they are otherwise it would have been a catch.

Sanjuro

We should talk more about what ifs every day.

sick.gif

What if Bledsoe was still in Dallas? How could Dallas hold all those titles?

In either situation Green Bay has plenty of time to march down the field and either try to extend the game or win the game. If they run the ball with Murray on that 4th down play and take a more methodical march down the field (and presumably score) then Green Bay is pretty much crippled at that point.

That still makes no sense.

Syrinx

Scoring the touchdown is the highest priority by a significant margin.

Also if you score the touchdown on that play, you don't run the risk of finding yourself in another 4th down situation or committing a costly turnover.

Tabris

Did you guys watch the game or just looking at stat line? Bolded are the runs above 5 yards. Most were 1 or 2 yards.

(13:37) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to DEN 37 for 5 yards (97-A.Jones).
(13:08) (No Huddle) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 37 for no gain (96-J.Chapman). DEN-22-C.Anderson was injured during the play.
(11:59) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to IND 36 for 9 yards (52-D.Jackson).
(11:22) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to IND 34 for 2 yards (52-D.Jackson).
(5:47) 22-C.Anderson up the middle pushed ob at DEN 26 for 22 yards (21-V.Davis).
(14:14) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 21 for 1 yard (90-C.Redding).
(12:40) (Shotgun) 23-R.Hillman up the middle to IND 48 for 10 yards (30-L.Landry).
(11:59) 23-R.Hillman left end pushed ob at 50 for -2 yards (20-D.Butler).
(7:17) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 21 for 1 yard (52-D.Jackson).
(4:33) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to DEN 48 for 14 yards (52-D.Jackson).
(4:08) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson left guard to IND 47 for 5 yards (30-L.Landry).
(3:46) 22-C.Anderson left guard to IND 44 for 3 yards (52-D.Jackson).
(1:23) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to IND 45 for 6 yards (30-L.Landry; 50-J.Freeman).
(15:00) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson left guard to DEN 21 for 1 yard (97-A.Jones).
(7:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson right guard to DEN 25 for 2 yards (52-D.Jackson; 97-A.Jones).
(3:49) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 35 for 2 yards (50-J.Freeman, 91-J.Newsome).
(2:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson left guard to IND 44 for 1 yard (52-D.Jackson).

Bingo. Broncos a couple times took a loss on a run play on first down, and Manning was too shook to run again. They would stop the run, and he would chuck it deep down the sidelines. Dude was horrendous. Surprised they didn't come out in power run formations then try and go up tempo. Start pounding the ball then force the Colts to make changes and start playing the match up game.

This. The problem with Peyton lead offenses is that he admits that they want to run "effectively". Sure, who doesn't want to run effectively. But on any given set of downs, if you manage to stop one run for negative to low yardage (1-3 yards), they'll abandon the run for the rest of the set of downs. It started to become really predictable in that if you could hold their first down run for low yardage, you could basically pull a man out of the box into coverage cause they were gonna throw for the next two downs.

You gotta commit to the run even if its doing poorly, otherwise teams wont fear it if they can stop you on one down.

Tom Penny

Scoring the touchdown is the highest priority by a significant margin.

Also if you score the touchdown on that play, you don't run the risk of finding yourself in another 4th down situation or committing a costly turnover.

Yep. Worrying about clock is when you are down 2. FG percentage from 40 yards or less is extremely high. I don't' think you can sit around saying we are definitely banking on this drive when you need a TD.

Spinluck

Did you guys watch the game or just looking at stat line? Bolded are the runs above 5 yards. Most were 1 or 2 yards.

(13:37) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to DEN 37 for 5 yards (97-A.Jones).
(13:08) (No Huddle) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 37 for no gain (96-J.Chapman). DEN-22-C.Anderson was injured during the play.
(5:47) 22-C.Anderson up the middle pushed ob at DEN 26 for 22 yards (21-V.Davis).
(14:14) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 21 for 1 yard (90-C.Redding).
(12:40) (Shotgun) 23-R.Hillman up the middle to IND 48 for 10 yards (30-L.Landry).
(4:33) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to DEN 48 for 14 yards (52-D.Jackson).
(4:08) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson left guard to IND 47 for 5 yards (30-L.Landry).
(1:23) (Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson up the middle to IND 45 for 6 yards (30-L.Landry; 50-J.Freeman).
(7:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson right guard to DEN 25 for 2 yards (52-D.Jackson; 97-A.Jones).
(3:49) 22-C.Anderson right tackle to DEN 35 for 2 yards (50-J.Freeman, 91-J.Newsome).
(2:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 22-C.Anderson left guard to IND 44 for 1 yard (52-D.Jackson).

I am a Colts fan, any run north of 3 yards is considered a blessing. You better bold that shit!

Sephzilla

That still makes no sense.

I don't follow.

Dallas didn't score the touchdown. Never got the ball back.

How does taking the clock into account help them score that touchdown?

I guess I'm doing a poor job of explaining what I'm thinking, so my appologies.

Basically, not running the ball on 4th and 2 is an incredibly bone headed decision. (If Romo checked out of it, that changes things a tad). For one, Murray is probably the best player on the team (subjectively), secondly Murray was averaging pretty much 5 yards a carry at that point, third the Green Bay rush defense is the weakest part of their defense. Not attacking that aspect of the Packer's defense on a critical play is just not smart.

Clock management at 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter has to be on your mind, especially when you're going against an offense like the Packer's offense. The Cowboys were in a position to dictate the clock control because the Packers only had one time out left plus the 2 minute warning, and had a running back and offensive line that the Packers had some issues with most of the game.

Yes, going for a home-run play like the Dez play secures you pretty much a touchdown. But you've essentially handed over control of the clock and the game as a whole to your opponents (scoring a TD would, at best, gave Dallas a 3 point lead). Yes, scoring a touchdown is obviously the most important part here but they took a, in my opinion, very stupid way of trying to get it because even if they get it they've given Rodgers basically 4 minutes to march down the field and score. Judging by how the final Packers drive went, they were in field goal range by the time the game ended, so scoring that fast as a result of the Dez play probably would have come back to haunt them.

Sanjuro

Again, most coaches have been taking that risk/reward on 4th down. Murray could be the greatest player on the planet, and it's not going to do anything against a team looking to stuff the runner. Calling a play like they did as you mentioned offers generally more outcomes. In this case it was Dez being unable to complete the play.

Clock management shouldn't be on their mind. If it is, they are absolutely stupid and need new coach. They don't have the luxury to do so.

Bread

Banned

why did you only put runs above 5 yards. Are 5 yard runs not good enough? Hell why not count 3 yard runs if you are arguing that most runs were for 1 or 2 yards. All you are showing is that the Colts defense allowed a good amount of yards to be gained on the ground, but instead of getting a rhythm going they decided to chuck it deep with Peyton at a 1 for 11 clip.

spyder_ur

Don't get people questioning the decision to take that chance to Dez. First and foremost you have to make a play to win the game. Everything else comes after. That matchup is as good of a chance as any.

Arguing otherwise is silly.

Again, most coaches have been taking that risk/reward on 4th down. Murray could be the greatest player on the planet, and it's not going to do anything against a team looking to stuff the runner. Calling a play like they did as you mentioned offers generally more outcomes. In this case it was Dez being unable to complete the play.

Clock management shouldn't be on their mind. If it is, they are absolutely stupid and need new coach. They don't have the luxury to do so.

Bingo.

Dragon

Banned

I watched the game. The Broncos only rushed 20 times. And considering they averaged almost as many yards rushing the ball as passing the ball, they should have rushed more. Especially with Peyton injured. Yes there are going to be inconsistencies between running plays. The Broncos coaching staff isn't very good considering the talent and with the gameplan they had. Say what you want about the Pats but they wouldn't have given up on the run so easily against a team that can't stop it.

Sephzilla

Actually, I'm just going to concede part of my argument because I did a quick stat check and overlooked one incredibly stupid thing on my part.

I'll still stand by my argument that a stupid coach is a coach who isn't managing the clock as well as the game though.

Top Bottom