• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

Huh, didn't know that.

The loss sucked, but it's ridiculous to say that one poor call was all the Cowboys needed to rally for the victory. The offense was anemic the whole 2nd half. The shanked punt was brutal. Giving up a 4th and goal TD and then a huge 4th and 8 was crushing. Dallas did enough to win and Detroit didn't. I know it's devastating to lose a close game in an environment Lion's fans aren't used to being in, but c'mon. Don't be those people who can find every excuse but the obvious one; The team didn't perform well enough to win.

The real tragedy in all of this? Detroit is chained the Stafford's contract through 2017

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Agreed.

They are also the one fanbase that can't call you dirty murderers murderers.

But you can continue to call them cheating until such time it is proven in the court of public GAF opinion that the Ravens are cheaters.

Unfortunately the "fuck it and chuck it" offense is basically football's version of creative accounting. Not technically cheating but shady as hell.

I wonder if the Ravens will fly in Pollard the Pats killer for the game , the giants did when they brought Tyree to the CATCH THE BALL WELKER superbowl

Fuck the Pa- Holy fuck.

I typed Bernard Pollard vs Patriots and saw this gif.

ridley.gif

This guy really is the destroyer of the Pats.

that was when there was a tiny tiny bit of momentum , then the devil Pollard killed Ridley and that was it.

eznark

Banned
Huh, didn't know that.

The loss sucked, but it's ridiculous to say that one poor call was all the Cowboys needed to rally for the victory. The offense was anemic the whole 2nd half. The shanked punt was brutal. Giving up a 4th and goal TD and then a huge 4th and 8 was crushing. Dallas did enough to win and Detroit didn't. I know it's devastating to lose a close game in an environment Lion's fans aren't used to being in, but c'mon. Don't be those people who can find every excuse but the obvious one; The team didn't perform well enough to win.

The real tragedy in all of this? Detroit is chained the Stafford's contract through 2017

Sorry pal.

Crisco

Banned
It'll be tough to score against Seattle as always but it's not like their offense will have it easy either. Carolina stops the run and runs the ball, just like Seattle, so like the last 3 games this one will come down to which QB fucks up the least. If anything these teams are more alike than ever.

Zeke

Interesting, I just assumed that refs could call that at their disrection. It's like how you aren't supposed to touch a ref and it should be a penalty but you see plenty of players do it and nothing comes from it. Tho in the rules I think the wording unnecessary contact with an official or something a long those lines.

The Colts can't stop the run, why even bother throwing with Peyton?

Also where is yankeehater? He was supposed to wear the avatar for a month and I haven't seen him!

Also also, I have to have him eat crow because he was adamant that Microsoft wouldn't raise the price of the XB1 after the holidays.

I am here. I am still waiting for you to pm me the avatar. Also if you have a post of mine discussing future XB1 pricing I would love to read it, since I don't remember us ever discussing that.

bionic77

Unfortunately the "fuck it and chuck it" offense is basically football's version of creative accounting. Not technically cheating but shady as hell.
I disagree.

That is part of the current rules.

Not taking advantage of that would be stupid. Same as not passing over the middle.

Honestly Flacco has one of the best long balls in the game. I would put his long ball up there with Rodgers. Not sure who is better between the two.

Kaeps used to have an amazing long ball. Or well he did until he forgot how to play football. Not sure why the lesser Harbs never used him the way they use Flacco in Baltimore? I guess maybe they didn't have any burners to take advantage of his cannon?

Bread

Banned
That hit on Ridley was so ridiculous. The way he falls, somehow his knee or ass never hits the ground...never seen a RB get fucked up so badly on an open field tackle.

eznark

Banned
That hit on Ridley was so ridiculous. The way he falls, somehow his knee or ass never hits the ground...never seen a RB get fucked up so badly on an open field tackle.

He should have gotten flagged for leading with his head.

It was weird seeing him lay dead on the ground and everyone is ignoring him and trying to get the ball.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Yeah that was absolutely rough to watch. I was nervous for the guys health going forward. I'm pretty OCD myself when it comes to pretty much anything wrong with me so I don't know how these guys remove themselves from that situation without fear that they really knocked something loose.

He should have gotten flagged for leading with his head.

Pretty much, but for some reason when it comes to running backs they will not enforce this rule and it makes no sense. I remember when they claimed they were going to emphasize this more, but it hasn't happened at all.

eznark

Banned
Pretty much, but for some reason when it comes to running backs they will not enforce this rule and it makes no sense. I remember when they claimed they were going to emphasize this more, but it hasn't happened at all.

I've never seen a running back get flagged, also don't remember them ever saying they'd emphasize it though. Lacy would be fucked.

eznark

Banned
I may be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure one offseason they claimed to be emphasizing this rule, and I think it was Matt Forte was bitching about it.

They expanded it to explicitly include running backs but it was never a stated point of emphasis, as far as I know.

Bread

Banned
I've never seen a running back get flagged, also don't remember them ever saying they'd emphasize it though. Lacy would be fucked.
Oh you thought Pollard should have been flagged? I just assumed you were shitting on another Pats player.

I'm pretty sure they said last year that they were going to penalize RBs for putting their heads down as they truck a guy, but I haven't seen anything come of that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They expanded it to explicitly include running backs but it was never a stated point of emphasis, as far as I know.

yeah that's just what I took as them emphasizing it. I always felt that RBs were exempt and for whatever reason allowed to use their helmets as an asset. When they made this rule I figured they were going to try to cut down on it.

edit- and like you, I've never seen one flag thrown on obvious RB penalties. Doesn't really make a huge difference it's just funny how hypocritical this league is, and the best part is it goes entirely against their reasoning of it being for "player safety"

bionic77

It was like the perfectly placed knockout punch. But instead of his fists he expertly used his helmet. He looked like he was in total control throughout.

Weird not that long ago we would have all celebrated that play.

Now we just hope that the player doesn't have long term brain damage.

Speaking of brain damage. I hope the NFL looks into the Steelers atrocious handling of Heath Miller and Big Ben's concussions during the game. If they followed the protocol than it is clearly not working and we need to come up with something new. They both looked very punch drunk as soon as they came back in the game. And I wonder if the Ravens should have been called for roughing the qb the way they slammed Bens head into the ground or was that a legal hit?

eznark

Banned
I thought it was the offseason after that hit they expanded it.

They officially expanded it last year, so that would be this year. It wasn't a PoI this year.

2014 Points of Emphasis:

Points of Emphasis:
• Hand to face, neck and head, even if it is only for a brief moment, will be flagged.

• Defensive backs contact beyond the 5-yard area will be watched more closely.

• Grabbing by defensive backs will be enforced more strictly, even if it is within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

• Pushoffs at the top of the route by wide receivers will be looked for more.

• Even the slightest non-football movement at the line of scrimmage may result in a false start penalty.

It was a rule change in 2013, not a point of emphasis. Usually it takes a year or two for the NFL to look at how the rule would be enforced, so maybe next year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It was like the perfectly placed knockout punch. But instead of his fists he expertly used his helmet. He looked like he was in total control throughout.

Weird not that long ago we would have all celebrated that play.

Now we just hope that the player doesn't have long term brain damage.

Speaking of brain damage. I hope the NFL looks into the Steelers atrocious handling of Heath Miller and Big Ben's concussions during the game. If they followed the protocol than it is clearly not working and we need to come up with something new. They both looked very punch drunk as soon as they came back in the game. And I wonder if the Ravens should have been called for roughing the qb the way they slammed Bens head into the ground or was that a legal hit?

Ben took a NASTY hit, and when I saw him walk out there it was very scary. I know that sounds ridiculous, but god damn the guy clearly was dazed, and it's just more proof that the coaches only see those protocols as a technicality.

bionic77

I think they only call it if it is a big back and he really fucks up a little corner or safety. Even that is called rarely, but that is the only time I see it. People just laugh if it happens to a linebacker.

Otherwise no one gives a fuck about the defender or running back.

Thunderdome rules.

Pro

The only negative on the Packers being in the post season is we have to wait a little longer for Rodgers to tweet about Drew Gooden, Vlade Divac, and Juwan Howard #midrange.

Narag

Ben took a NASTY hit, and when I saw him walk out there it was very scary. I know that sounds ridiculous, but god damn the guy clearly was dazed, and it's just more proof that the coaches only see those protocols as a technicality.

He shouldn't have been out there. Gradowski could have scored for them easily enough. Announcers made it sound like Ben made every effort to put himself back in, reappearing with his helmet on and ready to go back in.

I don't think either were illegal hits, but I did think it was shit they would put them both back in so quickly. It shits on all the "we care about player safety" so hard when as soon as there is a real chance to show it, they decide against. This would apply to every team, not just the Steelers, it just so happens it occurred to them recently.

Top Bottom