• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

Bread

Banned
No to both. Ridley should have been flagged and Lacy should be flagged about 5 times a game.
Right, I agree. That play is the perfect representation of why players should be penalized (or at least fined) for using their fuckin head as a battering ram.

They officially expanded it last year, so that would be this year. It wasn't a PoI this year.

2014 Points of Emphasis:

It was a rule change in 2013, not a point of emphasis. Usually it takes a year or two for the NFL to look at how the rule would be enforced, so maybe next year.

Right, which is why Ridley wouldn't have been flagged for that play anyway, given that the play was pre-rule change.

bionic77

I don't think either were illegal hits, but I did think it was shit they would put them both back in so quickly. It shits on all the "we care about player safety" so hard when as soon as there is a real chance to show it, they decide against. This would apply to every team, not just the Steelers, it just so happens it occurred to them recently.
Honestly if anyone cared about the players health this is what everyone would be talking about.

The actual protocols and if they were followed. And if they were then they are not good enough.

I thought the hit on Ben was borderline but that is probably moreso because of how shaky the calls for roughing the qb is. I did not watch the replay but I seem to recall that he could have dropped him a different way. But then again Ben is a big boy and athletic qb's don't get the benefit of the doubt.

He shouldn't have been out there. Gradowski could have scored for them easily enough. Announcers made it sound like Ben made every effort to put himself back in, reappearing with his helmet on and ready to go back in.
Yeah that was kind of shitty how they were covering for the team.

It is the coaches and doctors job to take care of the players. And either the Steelers failed or the current system failed. We should probably get to the bottom of it.

But I doubt anyone will and we will all instead focus on ways to describe how the Lions choke was somehow rigged.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There are two solutions to player safety. Either kill football until technology catches up or hire independent doctors paid by the league and not the teams to evaluate players on the sidelines, while expanding the roster to allow for actual depth to cover actual injuries.

There are two solutions to player safety. Either kill football until technology catches up or hire independent doctors paid by the league and not the teams to evaluate players on the sidelines, while expanding the roster to allow for actual depth to cover actual injuries.

Isn't this already the case

Spinluck

Trent Richardson's best highlights are when he's not playing, my favorite parts of the Wildcard game besides Luck bossing was seeing his useless ass be useful by not playing and being on the sidelines.

x2M5Jgw.jpg

Bread

Banned
I can't believe they played him all year and finally decided to stop in the playoffs

like wtf took them so long :jnc

Spinluck

I wonder if the Ravens will fly in Pollard the Pats killer for the game , the giants did when they brought Tyree to the CATCH THE BALL WELKER superbowl

that was when there was a tiny tiny bit of momentum , then the devil Pollard killed Ridley and that was it.

Look at the way he lands on #85's leg at the end of the play, he almost took out two Pats at once. Jesus lol.

Respect

That hit on Ridley was so ridiculous. The way he falls, somehow his knee or ass never hits the ground...never seen a RB get fucked up so badly on an open field tackle.

Quite symbolic of the way that game played out, scary too see, was almost surreal...I remember Lloyd and Hernandez got leveled in that game too. BALT kept hitting and NE just buckled.

Reminiscent of the NYJ playoff game when Welker got his helmet cracked.

Quite symbolic of the way that game played out, scary too see, was almost surreal...I remember Lloyd and Hernandez got leveled in that game too. BALT kept hitting and NE just buckled.

Welker had a few critical drops in that game. The ref getting in the way of Tom's run messed everything up.

Tom Penny

I remember Talib getting injured and Boldin going off..

bionic77

If the Colts get gimp Manning and luck their way into the championship game and then somehow Flacco thinks it is a road regular season game and gives them another gift to the SB would Trent Truck running wild on Green Bay or Seattles defense and being the MVP of the SB be the weirdest thing yet in this era of flukes and fraudulent champions?

And would Cleveland simply have to disband all sports teams (under the guise of cruel and unusual punishment) in the city and sell them to England or France if this were to happen?

Narag

And would Cleveland simply have to disband all sports teams (under the guise of cruel and unusual punishment) in the city and sell them to England or France if this were to happen?

They didn't have to when the Ravens or Lebron won championships. In fact, one could argue the road to a championship runs through Cleveland.

If the Colts get gimp Manning and luck their way into the championship game and then somehow Flacco thinks it is a road regular season game and gives them another gift to the SB would Trent Truck running wild on Green Bay or Seattles defense and being the MVP of the SB be the weirdest thing yet in this era of flukes and fraudulent champions?

If Trent Richardson gets a Super Bowl ring, I'm confident at least a few Browns fans in this world will quit watching at the very least

Like, that'd have to be the last straw for at least 1% of the fanbase

Respect

Welker had a few critical drops in that game. The ref getting in the way of Tom's run messed everything up.

Yeah, the Welker drop on 3rd down when they were driving up 13-7 was a big play, but I think Talib going down was the biggest development...the defense couldn't get off the field after that, Flacco just had a field day.

Yeah...I think it was the 1st or 2nd play after they punted from the Welker drop that Talib went down, if I am remembering correctly.

Colasante

Yeah, the Welker drop on 3rd down when they were driving up 13-7 was a big play, but I think Talib going down was the biggest development...the defense couldn't get off the field after that, Flacco just had a field day.

Yeap...

Talib going out was definitely the deciding factor. The Ravens were playing better, but it was close with Talib there. When he went out, and people like Marquice Cole had to play meaningful snaps, it was over. Win or lose, at least we won't have to see that this weekend.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Talib going out was definitely the deciding factor. The Ravens were playing better, but it was close with Talib there. When he went out, and people like Marquice Cole had to play meaningful snaps, it was over. Win or lose, at least we won't have to see that this weekend.

Yeah the offense was still a mess at that point. Hernandez was playing hurt as always, Gronk was out and Welker had the dropsies.

I might be remembering wrong, but the defense fell apart after talib went down and it also caused the Run defense to absolutely crumble.

Spinluck

If we actually get past Denver (hoping for another close game mixed in with noodle Manning, playoff luck Manning, cold weather Manning, Foxball, Luckbeard, and anything else going against Denver's favor) then I really like our chances against the Ravens. We matched up against them pretty well early this season, but playoff Flacco is a whole other beast. For the most part though we did good against your division, sort of.

Anyway, Trent going off in the SB would be the saddest best thing ever.

Colasante

Trey Wingo is seemingly the only analyst who remembers that Billy Cundiff's missed field goal against the Patriots in 2011 would have sent the game to overtime, not won it for the Ravens. People are acting like the Ravens have beaten the Patriots three times in the playoffs because of that missed kick.

Spinluck

I feel like the Ravens are one of the few teams that pound the fuck out of Gronk and make him uncomfortable early. I have no idea who's on their defense now though. I expect the Pats to pull out some bullshit gameplan they haven't used all year, and it will be successful up until the 4th Q where Flacco will score on a long drive off a PI call. Then on the last drive, to tie the game, Brady is stripped sacked by the guy with the huge gums. Gisele will then say some shit about how he cannot fucking block and fucking throw the ball at the same time.

Milchjon

My understanding is that Seattle has a few problems.

It's super expensive, it's about 2/3rds male, and the traffic is the worst.

I'm also super expensive, about 2/3rds male and pretty much the worst.

Okay, okay, I'll just go to Boston/Portland ME

Spinluck

Trey Wingo is seemingly the only analyst who remembers that Billy Cundiff's missed field goal against the Patriots in 2011 would have sent the game to overtime, not won it for the Ravens. People are acting like the Ravens have beaten the Patriots three times in the playoffs because of that missed kick.

The biggest play of that game was the one that the Pats DB defended that would have definitely won the game. The kick was pretty sad, but you guys got a lucky ass break.

People act like the ravens completely dominated the patriots that game.

jakncoke

Banned
Currently the Steelers have the 8th lowest amount of cap space heading into 2015 of all teams in the NFL. The Browns by comparison have $55 million with the 3rd most cap space available and the Ravens the 9th lowest with about $8.5 million in cap space.

Damn at Browns space

I have never ever been attracted to LA.

Trust me, I am an expert. I played both GTA SA and V.

Maybe I should actually check it out one day.

It's great, loved the city and the weather is fantastic. People are stuck up bitches and I felt right at home!

San Diego was nice too, to hang out with Bread there. Maybe Santa Barbera when I'm old.

bionic77

If we actually get past Denver (hoping for another close game mixed in with noodle Manning, playoff luck Manning, cold weather Manning, Foxball, Luckbeard, and anything else going against Denver's favor) then I really like our chances against the Ravens. We matched up against them pretty well early this season, but playoff Flacco is a whole other beast. For the most part though we did good against your division, sort of.

Anyway, Trent going off in the SB would be the saddest best thing ever.
It is a long shot but I could see it happening.

I don't see you guys beating the Pats on the road unless Tebow himself appears on the field.

But you could win against a gimp manning (if he is healthy you guys are fucked) and I could see Luck winning a slang off with Flacco.

But I can't really see how you can beat Seattle or Green Bay absent a Trent Truck miracle...

How long are you dudes' commutes to work?
30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

I also travel a lot so I am not sure how that factors in. Thats just my drive if I want to drive to the office. I can also work at home whenever I want, so 5 seconds in that scenario (walk from bedroom to home office).

Top Bottom