• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

Panzon

Does Russel Wilson not get enough credit for the things he does, i.e. scrambles, accurate throws, usually smart decisions overall? Or does NFL GAF think he's just part of a system that best suits his ability?

Just asking because my friend and I are having a pretty big arguement over this (we're drinking alot of wine). He believes Wilson is just a product of his system while I say its bullshit. Wilson is legit. He's really fucking good.

I told him put Cam Newton (whom I'm a big fan of) on the Sea Hawks and he wouldn't come close to being the QB Russ is. Give me your wisdom GAF.

I looked up that guy's win and loss record in 1998.

...1-10?! With an over 7+ era!?

The fuck did they keep that joker on the team? You would have better chances with ME pitching lol.

not really

They tried to replace him. They traded Derek Lowe an Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slocumb (one of the worst trades in baseball history), they also traded Jose Cruz Jr (their top prospect and a guy who looked like an above average left fielder at worst) for Paul Spoljaric and Edwin Hurtado.

Also Ayala was a closer for awhile. When you only pitch 1 inning at a time its pretty easy for your ERA and loss total to get inflated.

Acrylic7

Cam gets on my fucking nerves.

Lets throw the ball when we need to run and run the ball when we need to throw!
Hey everyone look at my useless Read option shit!
Ok, all we need is this first down. We are dominant in running today; 5 yards from the first down in the end-zone well hmmmm... let me throw the ball.

Guy makes me want to rip my fucking hair out.
Im not even going to give credit to Seahawks defense because every pick was a bad throw by Cam and easy for a high school player to pick off.

I thought I was looking at Jake Delhomme

Clown shoes posts, and LOL at the bolded.

There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL. There are about 5 to 6 great ones (Brady, Manning, Wilson, Luck, Brees and Rodgers, not in that order), a few really good ones (Ryan, Romo, Rothlesberger, and Rivers), and a couple that constantly toe the line between great and garbage (Eli, Flacco, Newton, and Kaepernick).

That's 14 QB's for 14 teams. Every other QB is either average, young and inexperienced, or purely incompetent. And five of the aforementioned QB's haven't even been to a Super Bowl, let alone actually won like Wilson has.

Your assessment that Wilson is expendable, when more than half of the league wishes they could have him on their team, is a very silly, laughable assessment. That is straight Matt Millen talk. You might as well have been gaining your precious insights on player value from Woody Johnson. The Jaguars wouldn't even hire you at GM. Al Davies is turning in his grave after reading your posts.

You can't just put in any guy at QB. They don't grow on trees. Show some respect and act like you actually know football.

Wilson is not a great QB, he's a good, reliable QB. He belongs in that second bucket, the kind that can occasionally put the team on their back. The first bucket is the type of QB that is integral to the team's success (Luck, Brady, etc.)

You are kidding yourself if you believe that this team needs Wilson to win. They only need him not to turn the ball over and let the running game and defense do their jobs, which he has done well to be honest.

But everytime an opponent managed to beat that vaunted Seattle D (Dallas, KC, San Diego, etc.), Seattle lost. Coincidence? I think not. Seattle's key to success goes through their defense first.

Russell is a very mature, likable and smart QB, but he's not a guy that's going to pull off miracles day in day out.

Does Russel Wilson not get enough credit for the things he does, i.e. scrambles, accurate throws, usually smart decisions overall? Or does NFL GAF think he's just part of a system that best suits his ability?

Just asking because my friend and I are having a pretty big arguement over this (we're drinking alot of wine). He believes Wilson is just a product of his system while I say its bullshit. Wilson is legit. He's really fucking good.

I told him put Cam Newton (whom I'm a big fan of) on the Sea Hawks and he wouldn't come close to being the QB Russ is. Give me your wisdom GAF.

He's a good QB, but not a $20m QB. He hasn't reached Flacco's highs in the playoffs and hasn't really performed well enough in regular season to warrant that kind of money. Certainly not whilst the defense Seattle has is playing top notch and arguably is one of the best of all time.

The only things Russell has over Kaerpernick is accuracy and decision-making, but that can easily be fixed with good coaching, mentorship and a drama-free environment. Kaepernick is currently working with Kurt Warner to improve his mechanics - that will surely pay dividends.

Ok, all we need is this first down. We are dominant in running today; 5 yards from the first down in the end-zone well hmmmm... let me throw the ball.

Im not even going to give credit to Seahawks defense because every pick was a bad throw by Cam and easy for a high school player to pick off.

Cam Newton is not calling the plays.

Please re-direct your anger at this gentleman

130124_askbryan_inside.jpg

Bowser

Yes, Cam is calling the plays, not the shining example of nepotism Mike Shula.

GTFO.

Wilson definitely doesn't get enough credit. He's an excellent QB. However, I also really like Cam and think he's a very good player who has simply had the misfortune of being surrounded by garbage for his entire career to this point.

Quite frankly I would take either of them over Luck who I feel is the most overrated player in the NFL by a tremendous margin.

Kiryu

I feel like people who think Russell Wilson is expendable didn't watch the Seahawks with Tarvaris Jackson.

T-Jack future is basically the homeless mans Russell Wilson, which is all they would be able to find on the free market if they let Wilson go. Are the Seahawks still a Super Bowl team with T-Jack getting the starts?
T-Jack have great arm and average QB but he holds the ball too long. I remember it pretty well. Hasselbeck was good but inconsistent as always after 2005/2006. Russell Wilson is our man. It's not like we're blind. We don't need "pocket passer" to carry us. Russell Wilson doesn't need to be pocket passer. He is one of great mobile qb since Micheal Vick. I can't afford to see Russell going to other team because I don't know if we can draft a gem like that.

JNA

Banned
They tried to replace him. They traded Derek Lowe an Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slocumb (one of the worst trades in baseball history), they also traded Jose Cruz Jr (their top prospect and a guy who looked like an above average left fielder at worst) for Paul Spoljaric and Edwin Hurtado.

Also Ayala was a closer for awhile. When you only pitch 1 inning at a time its pretty easy for your ERA and loss total to get inflated.

Say what in bold!?

Ok here is something I don't understand about the Mariners in late 90s/2000s: why did they let Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey and A-Rod all go? Why did they not keep them long enough for Ichiro to also come aboard?

Did they just decide to rebuild or something? Could they not afford it? Would they still have been able to keep them all while also getting Ichiro?

jWILL253

Banned

Russ is the real deal. He's been successful every year he's been in the league.

Dude we are the only club with a top five defense and offense. The team has gotton better both on D and in the run game since the last meeting. We can still win.
I just don't have faith in this team. I've seen them choke so much that I'm continually in this state of lowered expectations like those emo GAFfers on gaming side who get all pathetic before E3.

Dragon

Banned
John Harbaugh is whining about the Patriots formations. Meanwhile Brady threw exactly one pass better than Edelman's pass all game.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Carolina will never have consistent success as long as Cam continues to throw off of his back foot.

I was at the game tonight. Panther O line was on point, and the defense held up as long as they could. Biggest thing that stood out to me was this: when Seattle is in the offensive huddle it's shocking to see Russel Wilson is the shortest guy on the field, by a lot. So impressed by his skills at that height.

Say what in bold!?

Ok here is something I don't understand about the Mariners in late 90s/2000s: why did they let Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey and A-Rod all go? Why did they not keep them long enough for Ichiro to also come aboard?

Did they just decide to rebuild or something? Could they not afford it? Would they still have been able to keep them all while also getting Ichiro?

Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr both forced their way out via trades. The Mariners offered A-Rod $125 million and Texas offered him $230 million.

Seattle, however, was desperate for immediate bullpen help and packaged Lowe and catcher Jason Varitek into a deal with the Boston Red Sox for Heathcliff Slocumb.[1][2] The trade is considered one of the most lopsided in MLB history.

JNA

Banned
John Harbaugh is whining about the Patriots formations. Meanwhile Brady threw exactly one pass better than Edelman's pass all game.

According to the box score, Edelman also achieved a perfect passer rating that game lol.

Has any WR/RB ever done that?

NolbertoS

Say what in bold!?

Griffey wanted out of Seattle and wanted to move closer to his hometown of Cincinatti, probably a bigger contrac and the Mariners aren't the Yankees. Same with Randy Johnson, once he gained Roger Clemens status, the Diamondbacks offered him a huge salary thar Seattle couldn't match. The Mariners were missing a several pieces in the 90's to win the World Series. After Randy Johnson, the starting pitchers on the team weren't good.

JABEE

Current QB Rankings
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Andrew Luck
4. Tony Romo
5. Ben Roethlisberger/Brady/Rivers

JNA

Banned
Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr both forced their way out via trades. The Mariners offered A-Rod $125 million and Texas offered him $230 million.

Griffey wanted out of Seattle and wanted to move closer to his hometown of Cincinatti, probably a bigger contrac and the Mariners aren't the Yankees. Same with Randy Johnson, once he gained Roger Clemens status, the Diamondbacks offered him a huge salary thar Seattle couldn't match. The Mariners were missing a several pieces in the 90's to win the World Series. After Randy Johnson, the starting pitchers on the team weren't good.

Ah man that's a shame. If only that team waited one more year for Ichiro to come aboard...

I mean as you said that would not solve the pitching rotation after Big Unit but still...that would have been potentially the best batting order ever lol.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Not looking forward to playing Seattle at home.

But that's how confident I am about tomorrow's game. Rodgers is going to break the losing streak.

The Mariners were in rebuilding mode and traded Randy Johnson to Houston. Then after that season he signed with Arizona.

Griffey's family was in Florida (although he grew up in Cinci) and he demanded to be traded to a team closer to his family.

Ah man that's a shame. If only that team waited one more year for Ichiro to come aboard...

I mean as you said that would not solve the pitching rotation after Big Unit but still...that would have been potentially the best batting order ever lol.

The Ichiro thing wasn't exactly something anyone could have foreseen. No one knew he would come over when he did and no one knew he would be as good as he was. Also Randy had been gone for 2 years at that point.

They also won 116 games without Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr and A-Rod so there's that too.

jWILL253

Banned
Say what in bold!?

The truth is, for the majority of the last 15 years, the Mariners organization has been MLB's version of the Jaguars.

That's why I haven't been a fan of them since 2008. They never try. Any success they've had since the KGJr era has been lucked into, and they never make an effort to sustain it outside of signing Felix long-term and bringing in Cano.

Before I head out for the night for more drunken adventures I just want to say I love all of you.

#GoHawks
#RestoreTheCaCaw2015

The truth is, for the majority of the last 15 years, the Mariners organization has been MLB's version of the Jaguars.

That's why I haven't been a fan of them since 2008. They never try. Any success they've had since the KGJr era has been lucked into, and they never make an effort to sustain it outside of signing Felix long-term and bringing in Cano.

You're wrong we do try, we just suck at trying.

Dragon

Banned
I don't think you understand what he was complaining about.

Oh I do. I've read a bunch of shit after the game. He's whining like a mofo. It was all legal. But you're a dumb as fuck Eagles fan who'd rather whine about the Patriots on a Saturday night than admit that they successfully overcame the Ravens and the refs tonight.

Top Bottom