• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

He turned the ball over. Twice. And when he wasn't he was dumping the ball off for 3 yard gains. I don't even think Lindley would have done worse on that drive.

He literally went down the field three times on that final drive that fell incomplete. Calvin dropped a pass and got a false start and as I said before the fumbles didn't even matter. Calvin doesn't get that false start then the drive continues. He catches the ball and we're closer than what we got. So yes blame it all on Stafford and compare him to Lindley, and yet you call me out on hyperboles? Hah

cdyhybrid

Brehs, I am drinking this German beer and it is fucking DELICIOUS.

KjRs4tX.png

Milch, Dutch, you guys do great work in the brewing industry over there.
cL9CNsJ.png

jWILL253

Banned
I stopped participating in any discussion of how that game turned out due to those pivotal 40 seconds of that game. It's an objective fuck-up from all angles, pure and simple, and it changed the game tremendously and affected momentum.

But because A) this is the Lions we're talking about, and B) Kas is still being fucking Kas, no one is gonna have a legit discussion with good intentions.

Schadenfreude is all that's left.

But guarantee, if the same shit happened to the Texans, Mech would be losing his damn mind. If this happened to the Saints, we'd get a bunch of unwarranted self-loathing posts from Cajun. If this happened to the Patriots, half the thread would explode. Hell, from first-hand experience, if anything like this happens to the Packers, the internet would die. And be damn sure if this happened to the Steelers, we wouldn't be getting all the "deal with it" posts.

cdyhybrid

I stopped participating in any discussion of how that game turned out due to those pivotal 40 seconds of that game. It's an objective fuck-up from all angles, pure and simple, and it changed the game tremendously and affected momentum.

But because A) this is the Lions we're talking about, and B) Kas is still being fucking Kas, no one is gonna have a legit discussion with good intentions.

Schadenfreude is still all that's left.

But guarantee, if the same shit happened to the Texans, Mech would be losing his damn mind. If this happened to the Saints, we'd get a bunch of unwarranted self-loathing posts from Cajun. If this happened to the Patriots, half the thread would explode. Hell, from first-hand experience, if anything like this happens to the Packers, the internet would die. And be damn sure if this happened to the Steelers, we wouldn't be getting all the "deal with it" posts.

Nah man, they can't score 3 points in the entire second half against one of the worst defenses in the league while up 13 and complain.

The game is never decided on one call. They also had the ball with 3 minutes left, plenty of time to drive and win the game, and they fumbled twice. No sympathy.

Who's the new kid? Is this Kas Jr.? Can we just call him Kas Jr.? Can someone please tag him as Kas Jr.?

Will Kas actually watch Lions game next year beside reading the box score?

Will Fattford break up with Taco Bell?

Will Golden Tate sleep with fattford's chick?

Will fattford micro penis grow?

#AskALion
#RestoreTheRoar2020

Guya remember to use hashtag #AskALion when you ponder these life altering thoughts.

Schadenfreude is still all that's left.

There was a poster in here yesterday who said something of the like, "Lol the Lion's got screwed, but fuck the Lions." like it was so irritating to admit that we were cheated but then throw it in your face because it wasnt your team that got fucked by the officials.

MechDX

Schadenfreude is all that's left.

Hey now! When the Texans lose in the playoffs we go down in a blaze of fucking glory from the start!

zychi

Banned
He literally went down the field three times on that final drive that fell incomplete. Calvin dropped a pass and got a false start and as I said before the fumbles didn't even matter. Calvin doesn't get that false start then the drive continues. He catches the ball and we're closer than what we got. So yes blame it all on Stafford and compare him to Lindley, and yet you call me out on hyperboles? Hah
You're finally not blaming the refs! This is a step forward Kas!

The Lions "elite" offense couldn't score on the 19th ranked defense in the second half. Lions got out played, quit complaining.

Good one. The incomplete pass to Calvin was the only one. I just rewatched the drive. Every other pass was a dump off.

(2:00) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short right to 85-E.Ebron pushed ob at DET 29 for 6 yards (32-O.Scandrick).
2-4-DET 29 (1:55) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short middle to 15-G.Tate to DET 36 for 7 yards (20-T.Patmon).
1-10-DET 36 (1:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass incomplete deep middle to 81-C.Johnson.
Timeout #2 by DAL at 01:29.
2-10-DET 36 (1:29) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short left to 25-T.Riddick to DAL 49 for 15 yards (27-J.Wilcox). Pass complete on a screen pass.
Timeout #2 by DET at 01:18.
1-10-DAL 49 (1:18) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass incomplete short middle to 25-T.Riddick (98-T.Crawford). Pass was knocked down at the line of scrimmage.
2-10-DAL 49 (1:14) (Shotgun) PENALTY on DET-81-C.Johnson, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 49 - No Play.
2-15-DET 46 (1:14) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short right to 85-E.Ebron to DAL 46 for 8 yards (32-O.Scandrick).
3-7-DAL 46 (1:07) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short right to 25-T.Riddick to DAL 42 for 4 yards (39-B.Carr).
4-3-DAL 42 (1:00) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford sacked at DET 49 for -9 yards (90-D.Lawrence). FUMBLES (90-D.Lawrence) [90-D.Lawrence], RECOVERED by DAL-90-D.Lawrence at DET 47. 90-D.Lawrence to DET 47 for no gain (71-R.Reiff).

But maybe we have different definitions of what "literally" means.

jWILL253

Banned
Nah man, they can't score 3 points in the entire second half against one of the worst defenses in the league while up 13 and complain.

The game is never decided on one call. They also had the ball with 3 minutes left, plenty of time to drive and win the game, and they fumbled twice. No sympathy.

I never said it was decided on one call. No one in this thread is.

But you cannot objectively deny that this incident did not have an affect on the way the game was turning out to that point. Football, like most other sports, is heavily momentum-based. Everything from bad playcalling, to poor officiating, affects the overall outcome of the game.

cdyhybrid

I never said it was decided on one call. No one in this thread is.

But you cannot objectively deny that this incident did not have an affect on the way the game was turning out to that point. Football, like most other sports, is heavily momentum-based. Everything from bad playcalling, to poor officiating, affects the overall outcome of the game.

Sure, it was a bad call, but bad calls happen in every game. There were much bigger reasons they lost than that specific call.

If they're going to let one bad call break their mental fortitude then I have trouble agreeing with the idea that they deserved to win that game.

It's the playoffs, the team that wants it more is usually the team that wins.

You're finally not blaming the refs! This is a step forward Kas!

The Lions "elite" offense couldn't score on the 19th ranked defense in the second half. Lions got out played, quit complaining.

Never called the Lion's offense elite wtf are you talking about?

I'm not Kas.

By outplayed do you mean fucked by calls? Then yes, that certainly happened.

MechDX

Who are you guys losing this off season? I think that would be a good place to start as a preview for the Eagles free agency plans.

The only one I don't want to lose is CB Kareem Jackson since he has turned into a pretty good corner.

OLB Brooks Reed, I wouldn't be overly angry if he left. Can set the edge really well and stuff the run but cant pass rush for shit.

After getting sacked with less than 3 seconds to throw the ball, yeah.

Both fumbles had no effect on the outcome of the game. The first fumble gave us a First down so it actually helped, the second fumble was on fourth down so the game was over on the sack anyways.

So did the refs cause the sacks on Stafford? Did the refs cause the Lions to score only 3 points in the second half? Did the refs drive down the field and score a TD to win the game? Did the refs make your punter, punt for 10 yards? Did the refs make Jim Caldwell make a stupid decision on 4th and 1 to not go for it? Did the refs allow the Cowboys to convert a 4th and 6?

Stop blaming everyone else and look at how terrible your team played in the second half. Cowboys defense isn't that great and all they could get was 3 points. Say they gave you the damn penalty and the drive continues, you're so sure you would score? Your kicking game has been awful all year, Stafford likes to turn the ball over and even if you get 3 points who's to say the Cowboys won't drive down the field and win the game by 1 point?

I get it, it sucks that you lost, but if you seriously blame everything on the officiating then you definitely were not watching the game yesterday.

JABEE

The only one I don't want to lose is CB Kareem Jackson since he has turned into a pretty good corner.

OLB Brooks Reed, I wouldn't be overly angry if he left. Can set the edge really well and stuff the run but cant pass rush for shit.

We really need corners!

zychi

Banned
Never called the Lion's offense elite wtf are you talking about?

I'm not Kas.

By outplayed do you mean fucked by calls? Then yes, that certainly happened.
Refs didnt cause Stafford to throw behind Pettigrew. Refs didnt force Staf to fumble twice, even given a second chance when Dal couldnt hold onto it. Refs didnt make Stafford's record 0-18 against teams with winning records. The refs didnt let Dal march down the field and score with 3 mins left.

The refs didnt let the "#2 rated defense" get pushed aroubd in the second half.

Quit blaming the refs. Dallas managed to win with a running back with a broken hand, a qb who will have ANOTHER back surgery, and missing their starting linebacker.

Detroit fans may leap ahead of Peyton Manning fans as the biggest whiners and complainers

jWILL253

Banned
Sure, it was a bad call, but bad calls happen in every game. There were much bigger reasons they lost than that specific call.

If they're going to let one bad call break their mental fortitude then I have trouble agreeing with the idea that they deserved to win that game.

It's the playoffs, the team that wants it more is usually the team that wins.

You're a Seahawks fan, like me.

We've seen both ends of referee fuck-ups over the years.

They removed two touchdowns and gave the Steelers one in Super Bowl XL.

We played the Jets in 1998, and in that game, they gave the Jets the winning TD because they thought Vinny Testaverde's fucking green Jets helmet was the fucking football crossing the plane.

On the other side, there's the Fail Mary.

Me and you have both seen enough Hawks football that sometimes, the bolded just isn't true in some cases, playoffs or not.

So did the refs cause the sacks on Stafford? Did the refs cause the Lions to score only 3 points in the second half? Did the refs drive down the field and score a TD to win the game? Did the refs make your punter, punt for 10 yards? Did the refs make Jim Caldwell make a stupid decision on 4th and 1 to not go for it? Did the refs allow the Cowboys to convert a 4th and 6?

Stop blaming everyone else and look at how terrible your team played in the second half. Cowboys defense isn't that great and all they could get was 3 points. Say they gave you the damn penalty and the drive continues, you're so sure you would score? Your kicking game has been awful all year, Stafford likes to turn the ball over and even if you get 3 points who's to say the Cowboys won't drive down the field and win the game by 1 point?

I get it, it sucks that you lost, but if you seriously blame everything on the officiating then you definitely were not watching the game yesterday.
Never said we win the game if the correct call happened, you can read it in my earlier post. I said that the call was a HUGE difference in the game and potentially lost it for us, and it's unfair. Plain and simple, I have the right to complain. I never put it all on the officials but a HUGE part of that fourth quarter was decided by the officials. I think CJ should've caught that ball and shouldn't have gotten that false start, I also acknowledge that the OL was shit and we got away from the running game with bell in the second half which was foolish,

But at the end of the day our season is ended and it's partially not even our fault. If the right call is called and we lose this game I would have no problem but the three penalties on that player were ignored, all three, that is bullshit when the cowboys get the ball and we get called for petty holding calls and whatnot.

Colasante

Looking at the snaps from the Patriots-Ravens AFC championship game from two years ago. Aqib Talib played only 8 snaps. Chandler Jones only played 2. On the other hand, the pass rush consisted of Justin Francis (49 snaps, out of the league after this game), Brandon Deaderick (39 snaps), Trevor Scott (19 snaps), and Jermaine Cunningham (6 snaps). With no Talib, Alfonzo Dennard (the Patriots' 5th CB this year, now on IR) played 70 snaps and Marquice Cole (now out of the league) played 33.

I think the Ravens could totally win this weekend, but I'm getting so annoyed by having to hear talk about the past playoff games like they're relevant to this matchup.

Refs didnt cause Stafford to throw behind Pettigrew. Refs didnt force Staf to fumble twice, even given a second chance when Dal couldnt hold onto it. Refs didnt make Stafford's record 0-18 against teams with winning records. The refs didnt let Dal march down the field and score with 3 mins left.

The refs didnt let the "#2 rated defense" get pushed aroubd in the second half.

Quit blaming the refs. Dallas managed to win with a running back with a broken hand, a qb who will have ANOTHER back surgery, and missing their starting linebacker.

Detroit fans may leap ahead of Peyton Manning fans as the biggest whiners and complainers

When your offensive line can hold like crazy preventing sacks and pressure then yes, you can argue the refs did let that final drive happen.

We got fucked over by the call, plain and simple and I and the rest of the detroit fans are whining about it, whatever. If it were your team you'd do the same I'm willing to bet. "Deal with it" when our season is ended on some shady shit like that isn't good enough.

cdyhybrid

You're a Seahawks fan, like me.

We've seen both ends referee fuck-ups over the years.

They removed two touchdowns and gave the Steelers one in Super Bowl XL.

We played the Jets in 1998, and in that game, they gave the Jets the winning TD because they thought Vinny Testaverde's fucking green Jets helmet was the fucking football crossing the plane.

On the other side, there's the Fail Mary.

Me and you have both seen enough Hawks football that sometimes, the bolded just isn't true in some cases, playoffs or not.

The Hawks didn't play well enough to win that Super Bowl. That Steelers team was absolute garbage and the Hawks' record-setting offense did nothing against them.

Fail Mary was the last play of the game, and if the Packers had managed more than 12 points with the best QB on the planet (by, say, giving up less than 8 sacks in the first half) OR simply knocked the ball down instead of padding their stats trying to go for the INT, they would have won. Detroit had ample time to do anything at all after that call and win the game, but they couldn't.

Yes, the refs occasionally decide games, but it's extremely, EXTREMELY rare. And this isn't one of those times.

When your offensive line can hold like crazy preventing sacks and pressure then yes, you can argue the refs did let that final drive happen.

We got fucked over by the call, plain and simple and I and the rest of the detroit fans are whining about it, whatever. If it were your team you'd do the same I'm willing to bet. "Deal with it" when our season is ended on some shady shit like that isn't good enough.

What's good enough then? They're not going to go back and make you guys replay the game from that specific play on. There's literally nothing that will be done about it, so you can either keep bitching fruitlessly or just deal with it and look for ways for the team to get better next season.

Never said we win the game if the correct call happened, you can read it in my earlier post. I said that the call was a HUGE difference in the game and potentially lost it for us, and it's unfair. Plain and simple, I have the right to complain. I never put it all on the officials but a HUGE part of that fourth quarter was decided by the officials. I think CJ should've caught that ball and shouldn't have gotten that false start, I also acknowledge that the OL was shit and we got away from the running game with bell in the second half which was foolish,

But at the end of the day our season is ended and it's partially not even our fault. If the right call is called and we lose this game I would have no problem but the three penalties on that player were ignored, all three, that is bullshit when the cowboys get the ball and we get called for petty holding calls and whatnot.

Tackling someone as they are trying to go out for a pass is not petty holding, hitting someone in the neck/head area right after they receive the ball isn't petty either. That's all your defenses fault, no one else's. Maybe the call would have changed the game, maybe it wouldn't, who knows, what we do know for sure is when it mattered most the Lions choked and that's why the game turned out the way it did.

Tackling someone as they are trying to go out for a pass is not petty holding, hitting someone in the neck/head area right after they receive the ball isn't petty either. That's all your defenses fault, no one else's. Maybe the call would have changed the game, maybe it wouldn't, who knows, what we do know for sure is when it mattered most the Lions choked and that's why the game turned out the way it did.

An ESPN analyst said if the PI was called we had a 78% chance at winning the game....

Since it wasn't called it dropped to 56% after the punt. We should've never been in the situation to punt the ball because it was the right call, that's a 22% swing, like I said that's pretty fucking huge imo.

cdyhybrid

An ESPN analyst said if the PI was called we had a 78% chance at winning the game....

Since it wasn't called it dropped to 56% after the punt. We should've never been in the situation to punt the ball because it was the right call, that's a 22% swing, like I said that's pretty fucking huge imo.

So you were still favored to win even after the no-call.

Got it.

Hey guys remember when Cowboys were driving late in the first half trying to get back in the game when the refs called an awful offensive pass interference on Terrence Williams( he got pushed by one lion defender into another) negating a first down and making it 3rd and 12? That's because Cowboys didn't start crying like little pansies and got a long touchdown on the next play.

Remember late in the third quarter when a 10 yard Demarco Murray TD run was negated by a dubious holding call on Witten? If only Cowboys played the injustice card instead of getting a TD 3 plays later. Fun fact: Lions offense wasn't called for a single hold this game (damn those Jerry bought refs).

The non PI call is only getting this much attention because Caldwell is a coward, Lions defense folded like a cheap tent and Stafford couldn't lead a game winning drive against a decent team on the road even if a lifetime supply of bacon grease was on the line.

The Hawks didn't play well enough to win that Super Bowl. That Steelers team was absolute garbage and the Hawks' record-setting offense did nothing against them.

Fail Mary was the last play of the game, and if the Packers had managed more than 12 points with the best QB on the planet (by, say, giving up less than 8 sacks in the first half) OR simply knocked the ball down instead of padding their stats trying to go for the INT, they would have won. Detroit had ample time to do anything at all after that call and win the game, but they couldn't.

Yes, the refs occasionally decide games, but it's extremely, EXTREMELY rare. And this isn't one of those times.

What's good enough then? They're not going to go back and make you guys replay the game from that specific play on. There's literally nothing that will be done about it, so you can either keep bitching fruitlessly or just deal with it and look for ways for the team to get better next season.

I want an investigation for sports betting, an apology from the NFL or something. I went to two Lion's game this year and watched the rest faithfully. I, and the rest of the Lion's fans bring revenue to the NFL so a "deal with it" when our team gets fucked over seems unfair, at the very least we need some form of closure.

I know it seems silly but this city really is a shitter and has really nothing left. If you're not from here you just don't know how big these football games are to Detroit. It's more than just entertainment for some, seeing the Lions do good helps the city morale greatly to be honest.

zychi

Banned
Hey guys remember when Cowboys were driving late in the first half trying to get back in the game when the refs called an awful offensive pass interference on Terrence Williams( he got pushed by one lion defender into another) negating a first down and making it 3rd and 12? That's because Cowboys didn't start crying like little pansies and got a long touchdown on the next play.

Remember late in the third quarter when a 10 yard Demarco Murray TD run was negated by a dubious holding call on Witten? If only Cowboys played the injustice card instead of getting a TD 3 plays later. Fun fact: Lions offense wasn't called for a single hold this game (damn those Jerry bought refs).

The non PI call is only getting this much attention because Caldwell is a coward, Lions defense folded like a cheap tent and Stafford couldn't lead a game winning drive against a decent team on the road even if a lifetime supply of bacon grease was on the line.

I don't know who you are, friend, but I like you.

zychi

Banned
I want an investigation for sports betting, an apology from the NFL or something. I went to two Lion's game this year and watched the rest faithfully. I, and the rest of the Lion's fans bring revenue to the NFL so a "deal with it" when our team gets fucked over seems unfair, at the very least we need some form of closure.

I know it seems silly but this city really is a shitter and has really nothing left. If you're not from here you just don't know how big these football games are to Detroit. It's more than just entertainment for some, seeing the Lions do good helps the city morale greatly to be honest.

There are 31 other teams in the league who bring revenue to the league.

LOL at wanting an investigation. They don't even investigate domestic abuse properly, let alone whiny Lions fans.

Cleveland, Buffalo, Baltimore, New Orleans could use the same bullshit line about "helping the city"

Chicago needs it more than Det, we have more people killing each other and stealing fucking train cars then Detroit has people.

Just cuz your city has a bunch of corruption in politics, doesn't mean everything is corrupt in the world.

How is using the after the punt number at all applicable? That's ignoring the fact that Caldwell didn't go for it ( a bad decision from the numbers perspective), took a 5 yard penalty and then a historically bad punt. None of that is on the refs.

It's whatever though. I know Detroit had no chance at a Superbowl and I honestly thought we had no chance against Dallas but the fact we could potentially win a playoff game, for the first time and potentially last time in my life I could've witnessed a Lion's playoff win excited me. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. This is the Lion's we always screw ourselves or get screwed anyways. Welp here's to my kids living to see the day the Lion's win a playoff game.

With that said. I never thought I'd say this but....

Aaron Rodgers please destroy the Cowboys.

Out.

cdyhybrid

You aren't getting any of that, no matter how much you cry for it.

Trust me, I know.

Fact is that the amount of people that care enough to actually do what is necessary to truly hurt the NFL (i.e. boycott their sponsors) is minuscule, so nothing will happen. Small groups of fans mean nothing to the NFL.

You already got all you're going to get when the head of officiating said they should have called holding. The sooner you come to terms with that, the sooner you can move on.

How is using the after the punt number at all applicable? That's ignoring the fact that Caldwell didn't go for it ( a bad decision from the numbers perspective), took a 5 yard penalty and then a historically bad punt. None of that is on the refs.

What I'm saying is, if the right call was made then we have a 78% chance of winning. Due to the wrong called being made, we punted it and it went to 56%. Sure we could've gone for it but even then the probability drops 8% I think, in a situation where we shouldn't have been in.

cdyhybrid

What I'm saying is, if the right call was made then we have a 78% chance of winning. Due to the wrong called being made, we punted it and it went to 56%. Sure we could've gone for it but even then the probability drops 8% I think, in a situation where we shouldn't have been in.

You were still favored to win even after shanking the punt (which is entirely on the team). They didn't get it done.

rTnN9yp.png

There are 31 other teams in the league who bring revenue to the league.

LOL at wanting an investigation. They don't even investigate domestic abuse properly, let alone whiny Lions fans.

Cleveland, Buffalo, Baltimore, New Orleans could use the same bullshit line about "helping the city"

Chicago needs it more than Det, we have more people killing each other and stealing fucking train cars then Detroit has people.

Just cuz your city has a bunch of corruption in politics, doesn't mean everything is corrupt in the world.

You're being so insensitive to Lion's fans you must really hate the Lion's. What's wrong with me complaining? I'm dissapointed sorry, if it was your team you'd probably feel the same but it's okay I'm done with the entire argument.

(OT: Detroit and Flint which are both right next to each other both have higher violent crime rates than Chicago. I've been to Chicago.....this area overall is more dangerous because there isn't any good parts of Detroit anymore, some parts look like a third world country lol.)

Like this whole post especially what's in bold. The only thing I don't agree on is what you said about the hold on Witten, it looked like a hold to me too.

Top Bottom