• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

What I'm saying is, if the right call was made then we have a 78% chance of winning. Due to the wrong called being made, we punted it and it went to 56%. Sure we could've gone for it but even then the probability drops 8% I think, in a situation where we shouldn't have been in.

Take it from a fan base that get screwed all the time. Refs are going to apologize in an open letter, everyone going to pat you on the back and at the end of the day ain't shit going to change. Get used to it.

#RestoreTheRoar2069

That was a definite hold on Witten.
It was an iffy one imo, especially in the context of this game where that was the only holding call on either offense all game. They were letting them play basically. That wasn't even close to the most egregious hold in that game.

JABEE

It was an iffy one imo, especially in the context of this game where that was the only holding call on either offense all game. They were letting them play basically. That wasn't even close to the most egregious hold in that game.

He had the defender in a head lock.

As you guys can see I'm way too emotionally invested into Football.

(I had an asthma attack when I was a child which prevented me from my dream of playing in the NFL, I played RB up to middle school and I was pretty fucking good. I grew up idiolizing Marshall Faulk because he was a double threat. So football has always been a huge chunk of my life)

Sorry if I offended anyone with my posts. (I haven't slept in two days since we lost it's hitting me that hard)

I'm gonna try to get some sleep now. Night.

cdyhybrid

As you guys can see I'm way too emotionally invested into Football.

(I had an asthma attack when I was a child which prevented me from my dream of playing in the NFL, I played RB up to middle school and I was pretty fucking good. I grew up idiolizing Marshall Faulk because he was a double threat. So football has always been a huge chunk of my life)

Sorry if I offended anyone with my posts. (I haven't slept in two days since we lost it's hitting me that hard)

I'm gonna try to get some sleep now. Night.

It's cool man, lots of people here get heated after losses (me included).

I'm just trying to give you a little perspective from someone who has experienced the same sort of situation (but in the goddamn Super Bowl).

zychi

Banned
You're being so insensitive to Lion's fans you must really hate the Lion's. What's wrong with me complaining? I'm dissapointed sorry, if it was your team you'd probably feel the same but it's okay I'm done with the entire argument.

(OT: Detroit and Flint which are both right next to each other both have higher violent crime rates than Chicago. I've been to Chicago.....this area overall is more dangerous because there isn't any good parts of Detroit anymore, some parts look like a third world country lol.)
I am from Chicago, of course I'm insensitive to the whiny fans that come from Detroit. Tigers, Red Wings, Lions, all you guys whine and whine about "how its not fair." "Detroit is a bad city, we deserve to win." I'm a Cubs fan, don't ever complain to me about not winning anything.

You're complaining for bullshit reasons. Complain about your QB who can't win a game, complain about your coach who sucks, complain about the fact that you have the best WR in football, and yet Stafford is throwing to Brandon Pettigrew at the end of the game. Complain that your team struggled against one of the worst defenses historically in the Bears, and that you couldn't beat the 19th ranked Cowboys defense.

I bitch and moan about how everyone hates on my Bears players (specifically Cutler), I don't blame the refs, or the fact that we play the best QB in the league twice a year in Rodgers. I blame the shitty play calling, the stupid mistakes, and the fact that our ex-GM didn't know that you need defense to win games.

Quit whining.

You know, considering the Lions offense shit the bed in the second half, who is to say if the called would have mattered anyway? That's part of the problem with all this speculation. For all we know, Stafford throws a TAINT the next play or fumbles or something.

Striker

Seems like Mara and Coughlin had a standoff, and Coughlin won. He wants stability and in doing so, wants to basically keep his staff in tact. So it sounds like both DC Perry Fewell and ST Coach Tom Quinn will remain on the club. Mara, FFS. Another wasted year for Eli coming up barring an amazing draft or they add serious beef to the front seven.

effzee

Seems like Mara and Coughlin had a standoff, and Coughlin won. He wants stability and in doing so, wants to basically keep his staff in tact. So it sounds like both DC Perry Fewell and ST Coach Tom Quinn will remain on the club. Mara, FFS. Another wasted year for Eli coming up barring an amazing draft or they add serious beef to the front seven.

Wasn't the defense not the problem in 13-14?

Feels like to me equal parts blame should be dealt but from Giants fans it seems to be targeted at Few ell mainly. How many starters did he lose before even the half way point of the season.

I have to admit Rams fans are pretty creative.

vDNIGp5h.jpg

Yes and I'm sorry to say that I love the Fartinals.

minx

How shit, thou who shall not be named has an alt now. And it's so obvious. What is happening to this place?

Striker

Wasn't the defense not the problem in 13-14?

Feels like to me equal parts blame should be dealt but from Giants fans it seems to be targeted at Few ell mainly. How many starters did he lose before even the half way point of the season.
2014 29th in yards, 22nd in pts
2013 8th in yards, tied for 15th in pts (note: faced Freeman, Tolzien, Pryor, Barkley, and Cousins)
2012 31st in yards, 12th in pts (note: allowed 6.0 yards per play, second worst in the league)
2011 27th in yards, 25th in pts
2010 7th in yards, 16th in pts

So outside 2010, the defense has been pure garbage. Injuries happen. Arizona had three of its best defensive players out, but still had a great unit. This defense was being trash even before the injuries began derailing. They still lack talent at LB and Safety, and need new starters at DE, DT, LB(s), and both Safety spots. Overhaul it entirely, including the DC, but ugh...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You know, considering the Lions offense shit the bed in the second half, who is to say if the called would have mattered anyway? That's part of the problem with all this speculation. For all we know, Stafford throws a TAINT the next play or fumbles or something.

Clearly the field goal was going to be automatic (just ask Dallas fans) or he was going to throw a touchdown pass for sure because the offense was on fire the whole game thanks to the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0.

2013 8th in yards, tied for 15th in pts (note: faced Freeman, Tolzien, Pryor, Barkley, and Cousins)
2012 31st in yards, 12th in pts (note: allowed 6.0 yards per play, second worst in the league)

So outside 2010, the defense has been pure garbage. Injuries happen. Arizona had three of its best defensive players out, but still had a great unit. This defense was being trash even before the injuries began derailing. They still lack talent at LB and Safety, and need new starters at DE, DT, LB(s), and both Safety spots. Overhaul it entirely, including the DC, but ugh...
You have to break 2011 out into two parts as well. Regular season and playoffs. Two totally different defenses.

Outside of that, yeah.

First game of the season against Detroit - you could say the offense was still very much broken as they continued to learn McAdoo's system. They played a poor game but it was almost a necessary evil so they could finally progress. What was the defenses excuse? Everyone was healthy. The much lauded and supposedly vaunted new secondary was on the field and were responsible for broken play after broken play. Calvin Johnson running wild in the secondary, no pass rush, etc. Again, what was the defenses excuse with a coordinator who has been in place for nearly 5 seasons? We're still seeing the same breakdowns in coverage and every time from the players come with "We had breakdowns in communication." Really? What don't you get about the fucking scheme at this point?

Tom Penny

If the Lions score on that drive then Dallas fumbles the kick return and they recover it for a TD the Lions win easily.

effzee

Maybe we should move this conversation over to the offseason thread since this thread is for non loser bros.

I guess is Coughlin is given a year or 2 to win he rather not introduce another new system. I bet he assumes fully healthy with the offense blossoming they can win now faster with Fewell.

Or maybe I just want him to stay for my own, Eagles sake.

effzee

First game of the season against Detroit - you could say the offense was still very much broken as they continued to learn McAdoo's system. They played a poor game but it was almost a necessary evil so they could finally progress. What was the defenses excuse? Everyone was healthy. The much lauded and supposedly vaunted new secondary was on the field and were responsible for broken play after broken play. Calvin Johnson running wild in the secondary, no pass rush, etc. Again, what was the defenses excuse with a coordinator who has been in place for nearly 5 seasons? We're still seeing the same breakdowns in coverage and every time from the players come with "We had breakdowns in communication." Really? What don't you get about the fucking scheme at this point?

Dude you guys were going up against Stafford and the Detroit Lions offense. What did you expect?

Draxal

Maybe we should move this conversation over to the offseason thread since this thread is for non loser bros.

I guess is Coughlin is given a year or 2 to win he rather not introduce another new system. I bet he assumes fully healthy with the offense blossoming they can win now faster with Fewell.

He's got this year, and supposedly he's not getting an extension so he's essentially a lame duck due to the scuttlebutt on BBI.

Basically, Mara/Reese wanted Fewell gone, Coughlin put his job on the line and his keeping him.

Coughlin really regrets not fighting for GIlbride's job last year. But in his defense, Gilbride wasn't the issue with the offense, the oline being complete garbage that year was the issue.

BigAT

Yeah, I would hate to break up four pages of talking about Kas with football talk about a team that isn't in the playoffs.

I feel like Coughlin was given the ultimatum of "win next year or you're out" and he responded with "Alright, but if it's my neck on the line I want to do it my guys. If it doesn't work, there's no one else to blame".

Draxal

Yeah, I would hate to break up four pages of talking about Kas with football talk about a team that isn't in the playoffs.

I feel like Coughlin was given the ultimatum of "win next year or you're out" and he responded with "Alright, but if it's my neck on the line I want to do it my guys. If it doesn't work, there's no one else to blame".

Bingo.

As an aside, I was always much higher on Gilbride than Fewell.

Last Monday PF met with Reese, Mara and TC. From there JM and Reese said Giants will most likely make change at DC. But won't announce anything till after Holidays.

On Friday Morning. Tom brought PF in and told him that he's putting all of his faith in PF and strongly believes he can change it around. Tom pretty much said though if we don't succeed next year it will be our last so he gave PF a chance to leave. Perry informed Tom this morning he wanted to stay.

Bowser

Just skimmed through last night's posts. Oh my god guys there's an offseason thread to keep discussing the Lions. Let's move on to teams still in the playoffs pls. Here let me start with some trash talk:

5021664fd9769dac743b036005006d68.jpg

g1390096529715242938.jpg

COME AT ME SEAHAWKS-GAF

Dude you guys were going up against Stafford and the Detroit Lions offense. What did you expect?
A functional defense? I know that's apparently foreign to Eagles fans but broken coverages and poor defense is not something I expect to watch from a healthy defense with an established coordinator.

Unless that's pure sarcasm on your end.:D If so, ignore me.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm just trying to savor our time left in the playoffs :(

FACT: Every time the Panthers have won a playoff game, they have made it to at least the NFC Championship game

I think the joke was that kas posted that on 12/29 before shitting up this thread despite being eliminated. He still hasn't posted in the offseason thread to my knowledge.

bionic77

I'm just trying to savor our time left in the playoffs :(

FACT: Every time the Panthers have won a playoff game, they have made it to at least the NFC Championship game
Nothing lasts forever.

I actually got no hard feelings for the Panthers and wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.

But that ain't happening this year. And if they make it to the SB I am going to be even more salty about Bells injury because I would want to play your team for number 7!

PS what ever happened to that kicker who was paid off by the Pats when the panthers went to the SB? I hate that guy.

eznark

Banned
Seems more like a personnel issue than a scheme issue for the Giants. Sure you'd like for the coach to be able to get the most out of his players, but looking at that roster...maybe Fewell is?

I appreciate that Coughlin was able (and willing) to live or die with his guys. I don't care who you bring in, they aren't turning that defense into the 96 Packers.

Bowser

I think the joke was that kas posted that on 12/29 before shitting up this thread despite being eliminated. He still hasn't posted in the offseason thread to my knowledge.

I just realized something...this postseason is shaping up to be the Reverse Panthers Revenge tour!!

SF misses playoffs (2013 Divisional Loss)
vs ARI (2008 Divisional Loss)
@ SEA (2005 NFCCG Loss)
@ GB (1996 NFCCG Loss)

I've cracked the code!

eznark

Banned
I just realized something...this is postseason is shaping up to be the Reverse Panthers Revenge tour!!

SF misses playoffs (2013 Divisional Loss)
vs ARI (2008 Divisional Loss)
@ SEA (2005 NFCCG Loss)
@ GB (1996 NFCCG Loss)

I've cracked the code!

If you guys make it to the Super Bowl going to Seattle and Green Bay this year it will probably be the most impressive run I've ever seen. Like, regular season whatever, that's a fucking tough as row to hoe.

Draxal

Seems more like a personnel issue than a scheme issue for the Giants. Sure you'd like for the coach to be able to get the most out of his players, but looking at that roster...maybe Fewell is?

I appreciate that Coughlin was able (and willing) to live or die with his guys. I don't care who you bring in, they aren't turning that defense into the 96 Packers.

It's both, the scheme is just too complicated for the players we have. The linebackers look especially lost in that zone.

Coughlin is also saying that his roster got hid hard by injuries last year (queue his intro speech saying injuries are a part of the culture spiel here).

Coughlin is such a frustrating coach to root for, although Coughlin with his back on the wall always seems to pull miracles out of his hat.

Bowser

Nothing lasts forever.

I actually got no hard feelings for the Panthers and wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.

But that ain't happening this year. And if they make it to the SB I am going to be even more salty about Bells injury because I would want to play your team for number 7!

PS what ever happened to that kicker who was paid off by the Pats when the panthers went to the SB? I hate that guy.

John Kasay was with the Panthers until 2011 when he was cut for Olindo Mare (oh my god what a terrible swap). He played 2 seasons with the Saints before signing a one day contract and retiring with the Panthers in 2013.

I still have never forgiven him for sailing the final kickoff out of bounds.

If you guys make it to the Super Bowl going to Seattle and Green Bay this year it will probably be the most impressive run I've ever seen. Like, regular season whatever, that's a fucking tough as row to hoe.

I know it's about as likely as kas admitting that Stafford is fat and a bust.

But until we're knocked out, I have to hope it's possible.

bionic77

The only way that happens is if Rodgers hurts himself this weekend and plays hurt the following week, hurting his team in doing so.

They would also have to have about 5 improbable things go there way against Seattle to even get there.

That's asking a lot.

You basically need Tebow to become a diehard Panthers fan for the next 2 weeks.

Steve Palazzolo ‏@PFF_Steve 8m8 minutes ago
Amazing how accurate Cam Newton was when throwing into tight windows vs. ARZ and how badly he came back and missed open receivers

LOB should just take the week off and let Cam throw to (and miss) his uncovered receivers.

bionic77

John Kasay was with the Panthers until 2011 when he was cut for Olindo Mare (oh my god what a terrible swap). He played 2 seasons with the Saints before signing a one day contract and retiring with the Panthers in 2013.

I still have never forgiven him for sailing the final kickoff out of bounds..
Normally I would never want to live in a 3rd world country where it is thunderdome rules and there is no rule of law.

But guys like that need to go to jail.

What he did is definitely worse than using illegal drugs.

Bowser

The only way that happens is if Rodgers hurts himself this weekend and plays hurt the following week, hurting his team in doing so.

They would also have to have about 5 improbable things go there way against Seattle to even get there.

That's asking a lot.

You basically need Tebow to become a diehard Panthers fan for the next 2 weeks.

DSC04972.JPG

Top Bottom