• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

Bizarre. Why drag it out for two weeks?
I think there's some truth to Coughlin fighting to keep him which dragged things out. I thought it was pretty obvious from the press conference that Mara wanted Fewell gone. He avoided the "defense is broken" analogy he used for the offense last season but read between the lines...

ShaneB

How'd the playoff run go?

But seriously, if you don't understand how QB can effect where a WR can go with the ball, even after a 3 yard catch, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, there is definitely some plays that are supremely made by the skill player, be it a WR/TE/RB, but QB's throw can definitely dictate whether that run after catch is 3 more yards or 65.
I'm hoping this is just a case of "i hate eznark and everything he stands for", and not that you're really that dense.

bangheadagainstwall.gif

Yes, for the love of god I get that. My original comment to you was just my thoughts about how that stat is tallied and that it's a lot more than "going deep". Nothing more, nothing less. *shrug*

BigAT

Their offense struggling the first half of the season or so, and then probably a lack of real talent on the D, is it really a true defense problem? I guess sometimes you just want to switch it up...the stats were pretty bad on the year. I dunno, just late to get into that.

I'm not quite as down on Fewell as some, but you can only produce a bottom 5 defense so many times (3 of the last 5 years) and keep your job. I don't think the Giants' defense was ever especially good this year, even when healthy. I think that, just like last year, they were made to look better from a distance sometimes because they faced some truly awful quarterbacks during the season (Cousins, etc.) but got badly beat up any time they faced any actual offensive talent.

brentech

I'm not quite as down on Fewell as some, but you can only produce a bottom 5 defense so many times (3 of the last 5 years) and keep your job. I don't think the Giants' defense was ever especially good this year, even when healthy. I think that, just like last year, they were made to look better from a distance sometimes because they faced some truly awful quarterbacks during the season (Cousins, etc.) but got badly beat up any time they faced any actual offensive talent.

Hopefully they've already been searching though. Being behind on a coordinator search is never where you want to be. Basically fighting for scraps left behind and hoping it produces a real meal.

eznark

Banned

I think at some point there is probably some value to bringing a guy in at the bottom just so that the new/young guys you bring in have some continuity. It's not like the Giants are suddenly going to be a team chock full of defensive talent in 2015, so Fewell was fighting an uphill battle anyway. Kind of just makes sense to move on.

Their offense struggling the first half of the season or so, and then probably a lack of real talent on the D, is it really a true defense problem? I guess sometimes you just want to switch it up...the stats were pretty bad on the year. I dunno, just late to get into that.
The primary area where the Giants lack talent on defense is linebacker and safety. The defensive front has young talent waiting in the wings that wasn't allowed to get on the field until injuries forced it. It's not a shock that all of a sudden when Demontre Moore, Kerry Wynn and Ayers got more playing time - the sack numbers started to skyrocket in the second half of the season. That was before injuries knocked some of those guys out too. We could use another pass rusher in the draft regardless but I see safety as a bigger need as I doubt Antrel Rolle is going to be retained.

The secondary is actually pretty set at corner but was decimated by injury as well. I'll say again though - this is not the first season for Fewell. This is not the first sub-par defense he's fielded (its the norm in fact outside of 2010 and the 2011 playoffs). I've defended him in the past but the second half of this season just gutted me. It wasn't the offense losing the games at that point. It was the defenses inability to stop anyone. Yeah you could pin that on injury but when your best linebacker is on the sidelines because you're going with a base package against Tony Romo? No. When you take out one of your best young pass rushers to field what has been a completely useless veteran in Kiwi on the final drive against a team you should beat? No. I'm done. I'm ready to move on.

The problem now is bringing someone in given the situation Coughlin is in for 2015. That's going to be a tough sell.

eznark

Banned
The primary area where the Giants lack talent on defense is linebacker and safety. The defensive front has young talent waiting in the wings that wasn't allowed to get on the field until injuries forced it. It's not a shock that all of a sudden when Demontre Moore, Kerry Wynn and Ayers got more playing time - the sack numbers starting to skyrocket in the second half of the season. That was before injuries knocked some of those guys out too. We could use another pass rusher in the draft regardless but I see safety as a bigger need as I doubt Antrel Rolle is going to be retained.

The secondary is actually pretty set at corner but was decimated by injury as well. I'll say again though - this is not the first season for Fewell. This is not the first sub-par he's fielded (its the norm in fact outside of 2010 and the 2011 playoffs). I've defended him in the past but the second half of this season just gutted me. It wasn't the offense losing the games at that point. It was the defenses inability to stop anyone. Yeah you could pin that on injury but when your best linebacker is on the sidelines because you're going with a base package against Tony Romo. No. When you take out one of your best young pass rushers to field what has been a completely useless veteran in Kiwi on the final drive against a team you should beat? No. I'm done. I'm ready to move on.

The problem now is bringing someone in given the situation Coughlin is in for 2015. That's going to be a tough sell.

rex-ryan.jpg

Bowser

Possible Giants DC targets:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
Giants coaching search for a DC will immediately create desire to bring back Spags. But would Ravens let him go? Very valuable to them

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 12m12 minutes ago
I'd expect Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to get strong consideration by the Giansts and he could be a free agent pending ATL HC

Draxal

The primary area where the Giants lack talent on defense is linebacker and safety. The defensive front has young talent waiting in the wings that wasn't allowed to get on the field until injuries forced it. It's not a shock that all of a sudden when Demontre Moore, Kerry Wynn and Ayers got more playing time - the sack numbers starting to skyrocket in the second half of the season. That was before injuries knocked some of those guys out too. We could use another pass rusher in the draft regardless but I see safety as a bigger need as I doubt Antrel Rolle is going to be retained.

The secondary is actually pretty set at corner but was decimated by injury as well. I'll say again though - this is not the first season for Fewell. This is not the first sub-par he's fielded (its the norm in fact outside of 2010 and the 2011 playoffs). I've defended him in the past but the second half of this season just gutted me. It wasn't the offense losing the games at that point. It was the defenses inability to stop anyone. Yeah you could pin that on injury but when your best linebacker is on the sidelines because you're going with a base package against Tony Romo. No. When you take out one of your best young pass rushers to field what has been a completely useless veteran in Kiwi on the final drive against a team you should beat? No. I'm done. I'm ready to move on.

I think what sealed the deal with me on Fewell is that he sat Ayers and Moore for Kiwi on the most important drive of the game in the second Dallas loss.

Kiwi was awful, and he got so much play and you can tell Mara was just as frustrated by that as Giants fans were.

edit. EZ, I would love Rex, but Rex is taking a hc job or Espning it up.

BigAT

Possible Giants DC targets:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
Giants coaching search for a DC will immediately create desire to bring back Spags. But would Ravens let him go? Very valuable to them

Don't teams have to let their assistants interview if it is for a promotion? Or is that just for OC/DC->HC. Or I could just be completely wrong.

Draxal

Don't teams have to let their assistants interview if it is for a promotion? Or is that just for OC/DC->HC. Or I could just be completely wrong.

It's lateral. It's why the assistant head coaching job was created (which is a promotion).

effzee

I remember when people were asking you the same thing about Andy Reid when he was on the hot seat. Ironic.

Seriously what do you like about Fewell so much outside of his defenses allowing Shady to run wild on the Giants?

How many good men have to fall just so Coughlin gets to keep his job. It wasn't Gilbride or Fewell not making the playoffs all those years, it's Coughlin!

Farooq

Banned
Outside of running back, I'm not sure there is a single position group on Dallas that I would take over Green Bay.

Before last week I would've said I'd probably trade some linemen, but watching that line get consistently fooled by a defense that the Packers handled...I dunno. Coin toss on that one and really the strength of the Dallas offensive line is in run blocking. They are adequate in pass pro, but I think the Packers do it better.

Maybe defensive tackle too I guess. But Crawford is Canadian so probably not.

You wouldn't take Dallas' TEs? Witten is self explanatory (dude's option route on 4th and 6 was a thing of beauty), but Escobar has great hands, and Hanna is an amazing blocker. Murray would not have rushed for as well as he has this season without amazing blocking from these TEs.

How many good men have to fall just so Coughlin gets to keep his job. It wasn't Gilbride or Fewell not making the playoffs all those years, it's Coughlin!
You win two super bowls, you get a great deal of leeway, respect and the chance to go out winning. I ask you the same question - who's better than Coughlin out there right now? Especially when you have his replacement already on staff.

Coughlin will get 2015 to prove he's not the issue. If he doesn't, the team will move on having given Coughlin every opportunity possible.

Draxal

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/033B118C771163629355587563520_21fe2504e05.5.1.6174087096626533443.mp4?versionId=Yu_kETJUgEILm08e12uUvi9vUUuHIpW6

Lol

This why the Jets will continue to be the Jets.

Have NYG fans called for Coughlins head yet? You guys are probably due for another SB next year.

Yes and no. None of us can stand Quinn, and wonder why he's still here. I think we all recognize there's a dearth of talent on this team, but some of the coaches here have outstayed their welcome, and him being defensive of them as turned some people against him.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There is a lot of rumbling that the Bills will sign Rex.

I dunno how to feel about that. On one hand, he lead a Mark Sanchez team to the playoffs. On the other hand, feet.

eznark

Banned
You wouldn't take Dallas' TEs? Witten is self explanatory (dude's option route on 4th and 6 was a thing of beauty), but Escobar has great hands, and Hanna is an amazing blocker. Murray would not have rushed for as well as he has this season without amazing blocking from these TEs.

I guess given the way the Packers offense operates I just look at TE's and WR's as the outside skill package and lumped them together. I would obviously take Witten of God's Gift but I'd take Rodgers over the rest, so it's kind of a wash as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, Witten is awesome.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 45s46 seconds ago Manhattan, NY
CBs coach Peter Giunta, a part of two Super Bowl victories, was also fired along with Fewell.

May not be the last name added to the list of defensive coaches being let go.

effzee

You win two super bowls, you get a great deal of leeway, respect and the chance to go out winning. I ask you the same question - who's better than Coughlin out there right now? Especially when you have his replacement already on staff.

He won those super bowls with those same coaches. Why don't they get the benefit of doubt?

You just asked me whose better than Coughlin and then said his replacement already on the staff. Are you already proclaiming Ben Doodoo better than Coughlin?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I guess given the way the Packers offense operates I just look at TE's and WR's as the outside skill package and lumped them together. I would obviously take Witten of God's Gift but I'd take Rodgers over the rest, so it's kind of a wash as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, Witten is awesome.

If Rodgers had a Gronk, there would a legitimate push to try to put him in the HoF this year. Rodgers, not Gronk, Dutch.

Bowser

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 31s31 seconds ago
Management gave their input. The decision was left to Coughlin. Trust me on this one. RT @slan1173: no way. This is Mara.

effzee

There is a lot of rumbling that the Bills will sign Rex.

I dunno how to feel about that. On one hand, he lead a Mark Sanchez team to the playoffs. On the other hand, feet.

Would be a terrible hire. He can't coach the offense and worst yet doesn't give a shit about it. Same problem hr had with the Jets.

Is he going to develop E.J. Manuel? Are they going to draft a QB?

Rex needs to go to a team where there is already a QB and b some semblance of offense.

eznark

Banned
I wonder if Reich would be willing to take the Bills OC job for a pay raise?

If Rodgers had a Gronk, there would a legitimate push to try to put him in the HoF this year. Rodgers, not Gronk, Dutch.

I would take the Patriots TE's over the Packers TE's, obviously.

Top Bottom