• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

You clearly didn't watch the Dolphins much this season if you're implying a slow release was the biggest issue. Tannehill got the ball out quickly in Lazor's new offense the majority of the time.

Tannehill's decison making improved drastically this season, actually.

Look, the pass protection was horseshit, especially once Albert went down. Dance around that if you want but it looks like you just want to argue for kicks.

You're right that I barely watched the Dolphins this season. If Tannehill sped things up that's great but judging from last season he took a lot of sacks from indecision. I have my doubts that he could have improved a great degree in one offseason but again, didn't watch.

You're right that I barely watched the Dolphins this season. If Tannehill sped things up that's great but judging from last season he took a lot of sacks from indecision. I have my doubts that he could have improved a great degree in one offseason but again, didn't watch.

That's not entirely true either.

Suh is irreplaceable. You can put him on any defense in the league and he instantly legitimizes the defense into Top 15 with his presence alone.

Also the fact the guys work ethic and passion for the game is bar none.

Players like Suh don't grow on a tree. Let Fairley walk, or see how we can restructure him.

And as much as it pains me to say this we wasted Megatrons prime when we drafted him in 2007 and he had to play with QBs like Jon Kitna and Daunte Culpepper until Stafford got fully healthy. Trade him to the Patriots or Colts.

:jnc Not what I said at all but ok cyd.

So why was the Lions defense so average to bad in the last few years, if Suh is such a game changer? DTs are replaceable. Assuming Austin returns as def coordinator I'd be confident in the defense next year without Suh. Obviously it would be better with him, but we can draft and sign someone who can plug run gaps and pressure QBs.

cdyhybrid

You clearly didn't watch the Dolphins much this season if you're implying a slow release was the biggest issue. Tannehill got the ball out quickly in Lazor's new offense the majority of the time.

Tannehill's decison making improved drastically this season, actually.

Look, the pass protection was horseshit, especially once Albert went down. Dance around that if you want but it looks like you just want to argue for kicks.

DK arguing just for kicks? I'm shocked you would accuse him of such a thing.

Zeke

Man if the lions let fairley walk Jerry needs to make a run for him. Tho I doubt he would want to sign after the wild card.

bionic77

So why was the Lions defense so average to bad in the last few years, if Suh is such a game changer? DTs are replaceable. Assuming Austin returns as def coordinator I'd be confident in the defense next year without Suh. Obviously it would be better with him, but we can draft and sign someone who can plug run gaps and pressure QBs.
Always be dubious of anyone that over performs in a contract year.

Fuck your couch Woodley!

You're saying that he didn't take a lot of sacks from indecision last season?
He was sacked 58 times last season, plenty of blame to go around! Some of them were his fault, yes, but not as many as you might assume.

Tannehill's toughness is incredibly underrated. Once Albert went down a rookie moved to LT and RT was a complete disaster. The interior OL was composed of washed up finesse players (Satele mostly) and a gimpy C playing G (Pouncey). What this amounted to is tons of edge pressure and no where for Tannehill to climb in the pocket. RT gets beat instantly with outside speed, OG's and C are pushed back 5 yards in 1.5 seconds... where do you go?

Not saying he's never responsible but trust me, few QB's in the NFL have it anywhere close to this bad.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What's the deal with Nick Fairley kas? He's up for a contract too isn't he?

He is, and I loved the way he played till he got hurt. We could've really used him. Still I would rather let him walk and use that money elsewhere.

The old rookie contract scale really screwed us up despite drafting three franchise players.

The defense wasn't that bad but I think it was mainly due to the Wide 9 philosophy and general defensive philosophy of Schwartz/Gunther.

If you take Suh out of those defense during the Schwartz era we're 25-32 in the league in terms of defensive rankings, IMO.

And to those saying we're screwed on either side of the ball need I remind you that Matthew Stafford is our Quarterback. As long as he commands the ship I'll feel confident.

Not enough to cause concern or alarm regarding his progress. And he improved so much this season that his decision making isn't even an issue anymore.

I never said anything about concern for his progress. I said he took a lot of sacks from indecision. Either he did or didn't.

I'm not even arguing that the Dolphins O-line isn't poor. I'm just a bit worn out from fans insisting that they have the worst o-line in the league. Dolphins may very well have it (I doubt it though - Jags line is awful) but the QB must take some blame and I doubt Tanny has mastered Bill Lazor's offense after 1 season.

He was sacked 58 times last season, plenty of blame to go around! Some of them were his fault, yes, but not as many as you might assume.

Tannehill's toughness is incredibly underrated. Once Albert went down a rookie moved to LT and RT was a complete disaster. The interior OL was composed of washed up finesse players (Satele mostly) and a gimpy C playing G (Pouncey). What this amounted to is tons of edge pressure and no where for Tannehill to climb in the pocket. RT gets beat instantly with outside speed, OG's and C are pushed back 5 yards in 1.5 seconds... where do you go?

Not saying he's never responsible but trust me, few QB's in the NFL have it anywhere close to this bad.

Eh, i'm not one of those guys that cries about sacks. They happen. and outside of very context sensitive situations they're rarely game killers.

What worries me is decision making. Tannehill's seems to be competent, and he is improving YOY.

KaYotiX

Banned
That's the thing, his protection would likely be better since they're just trying to keep the pocket clean.

I'm all for him going off like Kurt Warner in the 2009 Playoffs shredding the Cowboys with short passes. :)

I would too but McCarthy wants those big plays for some reason, he hates slants and screens. Maybe they kicked his puppy or something....

zychi

Banned
I got the job with the hour commute I was talking about a few days ago. I can't decide if I want to accept it or not. Days like today would be miserable to drive in. Tons of snow, tons of ice, and construction would take me all day to get there and back.

I'm hoping something with the same pay and similar job type pops up. There was an opening for a position 15 minutes from me, but it ws only part-time with no chance of being put on full-time.

I don't think Suh is lazy. Dude works hard, he's legit and worth a lot of money...I just don't think we can afford him.

Fairley on the other hand...he played very well this year. Responded perfectly after Caldwell benched him in the offseason (hired a personal chef, lost weight, had sleep apnea surgery, etc). I still don't think we should give him a big deal because...like Bionic said, is this an act for cash, or is he really a changed man?

I think the elephant in the room is Caldwell. Grating coaches like Harbaugh and calm coaches like Caldwell often tend to inspire their team initially, but the act can grow tired on players over time. How long can Caldwell keep a guy like Fairley in line, especially if we start losing? Next season's schedule is pretty damn tough, missing the playoffs is a possibility.

Rorschach

I beg to differ. I think he took approximately .005 seconds to decide to fuck his wife.

espn.jpg

That fivehead is just space for a tapestry waiting to be painted and I am an artist looking for a canvas.

Slo

I got the job with the hour commute I was talking about a few days ago. I can't decide if I want to accept it or not. Days like today would be miserable to drive in. Tons of snow, tons of ice, and construction would take me all day to get there and back.

I'm hoping something with the same pay and similar job type pops up. There was an opening for a position 15 minutes from me, but it ws only part-time with no chance of being put on full-time.

I didn't read the posts from a few days ago, but congrats on the new job. Depending how desperate you are and how good the job is, you could always take the position and continue your job search. If you find something else relatively soon, just leave the job you bailed on off your resume.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Someday Kas will have his moment of realization that Stafford isn't very good like a lot of Bears fans had to have with Cutler.

eznark

Banned

I love long commutes. You read so many books with audible!

zychi

Banned
Appreciate it Slo. My last job made me realize companies are never loyal and I shouldn't feel bad if I leave a position. I have almost 2 weeks before I go there and sign papers and stuff. So hopefully something pops up. This is the time when my field usually opens a ton of positions.

The downside, is that the pay is the best I've ever had and it seems like a good group of people to work with. It's not exactly what I went to school for tho.

I love long commutes. You read so many books with audible!

I may as well be driving to Milwaukee. I think I get a trial period with the position, so I can always give my two weeks. I'm just trying to pump myself up for that commute.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Someday Kas will have his moment of realization that Stafford isn't very good like a lot of Bears fans had to have with Cutler.

No, he's a great young Quarterback and had another great playoff game sans a tipped pass that turned into an INT.

Stafford is immensely talented and doesn't have the douchebag loser attitude that Cutler does. He has been one of the major reasons the franchise as a whole has turned around.

QBs like him don't grow on a tree and the next 4 years are when QBs usually hit there prime stage. I expect him to only get better.

I feel out of place in the Offseason thread. We got dudes in their debating about Marcus Mariotta and Jameis Winston. I'm still butthurt about the loss but I realize it's over and the Roar won't be Restored this season.

It feels like I'm in purgatory.

5Q2j5gS.png

zychi

Banned
No, he's a great young Quarterback and had another great playoff game sans a tipped pass that turned into an INT.

Stafford is immensely talented and doesn't have the douchebag loser attitude that Cutler does. He has been one of the major reasons the franchise as a whole has turned around.

QBs like him don't grow on a tree and the next 4 years are when QBs usually hit there prime stage. I expect him to only get better.

I feel out of place in the Offseason thread. We got dudes in their debating about Marcus Mariotta and Jameis Winston. I'm still butthurt about the loss but I realize it's over and the Roar won't be Restored this season.

It feels like I'm in purgatory.

5Q2j5gS.png

0-18 against winning teams.
May not have the douchebag losing attitude, but he has the losing record.

I've seen a lot of delusion in my life but Kas love for Stafford is something that is absolutely amazing it a weird way. He's devotion to this man is beyond the fucking Pope to God.

eznark

Banned
It's ok but only as long as there is no traffic.

Dealing with bad traffic is the worst.

I fucking despised my commute in DC after a year. Soul crushing...

For sure. I commuted from Brighton to Quincy which is like 13 miles but takes an hour. Now I drive 70 miles in an hour! It's great.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kas what was your devotions to Charlie Batch and Andre Ware and even Scott Mitchell?

I have a Charlie Batch jersey I rocked in middle school after we won a Monday Night Football game after we beat the Steelers IIRC. I still get clowned on by some friends about that. I rocked that Batch jersey proudly though.

I don't care who our QB is as long as he can lead us and win a Super Bowl. Stafford has the tools to do that and I truly believe that.

minx

Browns interested in Trestman? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Zychi you live in the city? What suburb is job offer in?

DMczaf

Job Advice From the Indianapolis Colts Carlie Irsay-Gordon

Whoo knows more about winning than a football exec? Indianapolis Colts vice chair and co-owner Carlie Irsay-Gordon, 33—the youngest woman in the NFL with a leadership position—tells Glamour's Cindi Leive what she's learned on the job.

James "Jim" Irsay (born June 13, 1959) is the owner and CEO of the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League.

Thanks for the job advice!

Top Bottom