• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What's your take of football coaches that go out into the field to argue like Harbs, Carroll, etc. The refs usually just usher them off and don't throw a flag the second he crosses a line. Dez shouldn't have been out there, he could have been called but it looks like when they told him to get back he did.

Coaches aren't under that same rule. I believe they're allowed some leeway due to the challenge system. They may have a legitimate reason for talking with the ref. An offensive player, while the defense is on the field, storming the field to yell at the ref is strictly against the rule.

But yeah, coaches have absolutely been flagged for violating policies akin to that. Tomlin was the year before he tripped that dude, IIRC.

brentech

Looking for violations away from the field of play to extend your team' drive is petty though.

People always say, but this is a playoff game, you gotta let them play. Then ask for the the least impactful flag to be thrown to get the yards the team couldn't.

The down should have been replayed for fouls on both teams. I don't know what else can be argued.
But acting like not picking up the flag is an automatic TD and then a definite win is so god damn short sighted. It's fucking hilarious and such a losers thought process.

Always said about the fail mary that being that it actually was the last play of the game, there is a little to argue since nothing more could have happened. But even with that case, the offense was so abysmal all game long that we simply shouldn't have been in that scenarios where a single score would drop the game. I was mad right when it happened. But 5 min later you just have to say, the team didn't get the job done. Gave up like 7 sacks or more. Just...come the fuck on. You didn't get jobbed, team failed.

bionic77

Looking for violations away from the field of play to extend your team' drive is petty though.
Lets be fair.

Lions fans don't have a lot of experience with the playoffs. I remember when I was a kid the Steelers did not make the playoffs very often (not Lions bad but we were not the best team in the Central) and when we did I did not take it well when we lost. I did not see the Steelers in January until the 90s when I was in middle and high school and we always found ways to lose back then, even in the Super Bowl.

For teams that get there often they are used to the eventual disappointment that usually follows. It still hurts but we know how to cope. The more experienced fans have learned to direct our hatred towards our team, the players and coaches on it, other fans and the team that beat us. The Lions fanbase is pretty cool and if they get there more often they too will learn that that is the best way of coping!

eznark

Banned
Coaches aren't under that same rule. I believe they're allowed some leeway due to the challenge system. They may have a legitimate reason for talking with the ref. An offensive player, while the defense is on the field, storming the field to yell at the ref is strictly against the rule.

But yeah, coaches have absolutely been flagged for violating policies akin to that. Tomlin was the year before he tripped that dude, IIRC.

Pretty sure there is some discretion in the no-helmet rule too. In this instance I think it absolutely should have been flagged but I do think there is some discretion.

It's not actually that it's because he came on without a helmet.

Whoa.
What's this about the Rams owner going through plannings for a stadium and training facility in LA?

Gambit to get stuff back in STL or is it legit?
Seems like there's buzz about an NFL team going back to LA every year.

eznark

Banned
I do definitely look forward to this new era of hyper-critical, throw every single flag no matter what, by-the-book Lions fan in the 2015 season though. They are going to be just screaming for Calvin push-off OPI flags and Golden Tate pick flags. Not to mention the plethora of personal fouls they will demand be called against their team.

Gonna be a fun 2015!

bionic77

If only the Lions had a chance at the end of the game to score against one of the worst defenses in recent memory...

Oh wait they did and Fatford and co. were terrible! I honestly thought Fatford was going to pull it off. Especially when they got that fumble back. That was such horrible luck and an amazingly dumb play by the Cowboys. But even afterwards it seemed like the moment was too big for them.

Really entertaining game in the end though if you were not a fan of either team.

WanderingWind

The best quote about this runs something akin to "Refs are humans, too. If you don't want a ref deciding the game, play better football. A ref can't take away a 20 point victory."

Of course, shit calls and non-calls that decide the game sting. The NFL should absolutely fine officials who make blatantly bad calls (they can find a dude for socks, but not fucking up at his job).

Tom Penny

All this PI talk has me concerned about how many times Flacco is going to just huck the ball up down field to get a flag. Over under will be at least 5 times.

If only the Lions had a chance at the end of the game to score against one of the worst defenses in recent memory...

Oh wait they did and Fatford and co. were terrible! I honestly thought Fatford was going to pull it off. Especially when they got that fumble back. That was such horrible luck and an amazingly dumb play by the Cowboys. But even afterwards it seemed like the moment was too big for them.

Really entertaining game in the end though if you were not a fan of either team.

I'm more upset about that converted 4th and 6.

I do definitely look forward to this new era of hyper-critical, throw every single flag no matter what, by-the-book Lions fan in the 2015 season though. They are going to be just screaming for Calvin push-off OPI flags and Golden Tate pick flags. Not to mention the plethora of personal fouls they will demand be called against their team.

Gonna be a fun 2015!
I'm sure the Kas's of the world will just go "they screwed us on that playoff game so the league owes with this favorable call!"

Bowser

Someone tried to burn down Ron Rivera's house. Everyone's OK

But is the 12 that desperate that they're trying to kill the man before the game this week?

This season truly has been one of the weirdest of all time.

BAL @ NE
CAR @ SEA *upset special* - FUCK THE 12s
DAL @ GB (lol I wish)
IND @ DEN

Milchjon

Romo didn't embarrass himself, Suh cried, Kas wailed.

Consequentialism tells me that this means the refs' decisions were morally correct.

But acting like not picking up the flag is an automatic TD and then a definite win is so god damn short sighted. It's fucking hilarious and such a losers thought process.

Yep, this.

Seems like people are forgetting that Detroit's punter kicked perhaps the worst punt in an important situation in the last 15 years of playoff football. The ball went 12 yards I think. From their own ~45 to Dallas' 43 or something like that, in a closed stadium. It's not like he was kicking in Carolina or Pittsburgh or somewhere with bad field conditions, cold weather, or driving rain. It was like, sunny, 65 degrees, and no wind. Perfect punting conditions. It was atrocious.

Followed up by not a single attempt to stop Dallas.

Followed up by Stafford fumbling TWICE on their opportunity to win the game. They got a chance when Lawrence re-fumbled, and then they didn't take the opportunity.

I mean, Lions were up 20 - 7, they had plenty of opportunities to stop Dallas and didn't... So people are looking for the refs to bail them out with ticky-tack penalties.

eznark

Banned

Consequentialism tells me that this means the refs' decisions were morally correct.

huh.gif
highfive.gif

brentech

Of course, shit calls and non-calls that decide the game sting. The NFL should absolutely fine officials who make blatantly bad calls (they can find a dude for socks, but not fucking up at his job).
That's ridiculous though. The fine they receive is not reffing bigger games or next season. But you don't take money out of those guys pockets. This is their second job for a lot of them.

eznark

Banned
I'm sure the Kas's of the world will just go "they screwed us on that playoff game so the league owes with this favorable call!"

You telling me that kas won't wake up this morning screaming and breathing fire about the refs not flagging Suh for stomping on Rodgers? I find that hard to believe.

bionic77

Romo was pretty fucking atrocious yesterday.

I am not sure which qb played worse. Stafford definitely made worse decisions, but his lucky fat ass always seems to get bailed out. If only the Cowboys could catch they could have easily had 2-3 more INTs. Romo was not forcing stuff but he was acting retarded in the pocket and his accuracy was horrible. Aikman and Buck spent half of the game analyzing his motion and trying to guess if he was playing hurt (my guess is that he was not hurt, he was just choking like a mofo).

All this PI talk has me concerned about how many times Flacco is going to just huck the ball up down field to get a flag. Over under will be at least 5 times.
Lets all pray that the Pats lose on a bad PI call over Reevis where Fluke-o just throws up a prayer and Reevis and the refs bail them out.

Boston will provide enough salt to dry up one of the great lakes!

WanderingWind

That's ridiculous though. The fine they receive is not reffing bigger games or next season. But you don't take money out of those guys pockets. This is their second job for a lot of them.

Yeah, a second job. And logically, you're correct. The refs aren't purposely making bad calls. This isn't the NBA.

But, man would it feel so much better to know the ref that just cost my team the game would have to skip the 65 inch TV for the 55 inch one.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, a second job. And logically, you're correct. The refs aren't purposely making bad calls. This isn't the NBA.

But, man would it feel so much better to know the ref that just cost my team the game would have to skip the 65 inch TV for the 55 inch one.

Why? Wouldn't it feel better knowing he won't be officiating your next playoff game?

Uhh.. that's fucking weird. But, in any event, they get paid per game, so if a ref doesn't get chosen for a playoff crew or they get fewer games next season then they are making less money.

What you're suggesting is like fining a player for fumbling or throwing an interception. Stafford fumbled twice on that last drive... Should he be fined for those for contributing to the Lions losing? Would it make you feel better knowing that the guy who caused your team to lose the game would have a 6000 sq foot house rather than 6500?

Tom Penny

Lets all pray that the Pats lose on a bad PI call over Reevis where Fluke-o just throws up a prayer and Reevis and the refs bail them out.

Boston will provide enough salt to dry up one of the great lakes!

It will be Browner not Revis and he will get targeted a ton. No doubt about it.

Romo was pretty fucking atrocious yesterday.

I am not sure which qb played worse. Stafford definitely made worse decisions, but his lucky fat ass always seems to get bailed out. If only the Cowboys could catch they could have easily had 2-3 more INTs. Romo was not forcing stuff but he was acting retarded in the pocket and his accuracy was horrible. Aikman and Buck spent half of the game analyzing his motion and trying to guess if he was playing hurt (my guess is that he was not hurt, he was just choking like a mofo).

It was vintage trying to do too much Romo.

Take away the run game and you force Romo to force throws into double coverage, run around like a chicken without his head, and everything else.

Then the Lions did a good job of pressuring and hitting Romo, so he was legit shook all game long and was throwing balls low and behind receivers.

WanderingWind

Why? Wouldn't it feel better knowing he won't be officiating your next playoff game?

Uhh.. that's fucking weird. But, in any event, they get paid per game, so if a ref doesn't get chosen for a playoff crew or they get fewer games next season then they are making less money.

What you're suggesting is like fining a player for fumbling or throwing an interception. Stafford fumbled twice on that last drive... Should he be fined for those for contributing to the Lions losing? Would it make you feel better knowing that the guy who caused your team to lose the game would have a 6000 sq foot house rather than 6500?

You guys are taking this a bit too seriously. Schendenfrunde adheres to no logic.

jWILL253

Banned
Discussing a pivotal moment in the game where referees managed to change the course of the game in less than a minute due to their ineptitude isn't petty.

Also, fans of inexperienced teams "handling it better" doesn't fix the shitty quality of the officiating league-wide, does it?

Telling people to just deal with it is a bit of a silly response to a legit issue. Especially when some of the people saying it in this thread are fans of teams that were on the winning end of the shaft during a big game (Pats and fucking Steelers).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Gonna be a fun 2015!

I always do call for those flags. Not all of us are insane homers.

WanderingWind

I'd rather know my team won't have Jeff Triplette next week than know some poor slob who has to work two jobs is now donating money to Goodell.

Okay. But the refs work as refs because they want to. They're not "having" to work two jobs. But, in essence, you're right that they basically get fined for crap performance already.

eznark

Banned
Okay. But the refs work as refs because they want to. They're not "having" to work two jobs. But, in essence, you're right that they basically get fined for crap performance already.

Yep and if you start going Judge Dredd on them because they are human there will be a whole lot less desire to spend as much time as they do making ok money doing it. Will anyone really want to officiate knowing that picking the wrong side on a bang-bang coin toss play will cost them their paycheck that week?

c'mon

Arguing about officiating in the playoffs stinks
:(.

Somehow I think having mike pereira in the booth actually makes things worse.

Not saying it's all unjustified though. If I were a lions fan I'd be devastated, and as a cowboys fan it doesn't feel great to win under this controversy

WanderingWind

Yep and if you start going Judge Dredd on them because they are human there will be a whole lot less desire to spend as much time as they do making ok money doing it. Will anyone really want to officiate knowing that picking the wrong side on a bang-bang coin toss play will cost them their paycheck that week?

c'mon

Well, then we get all officiating done from the booth reviewed by robots programmed to err on the side playing against the Pats? It's a win-win for everybody.

Top Bottom