• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Divisional |OT| Restore The Roar

jWILL253

Banned
EZ, are you really tryin'a cape for refs here?

Players get fined for shit that has no relevance to anything that happens on the field all the time, like displaying the logo of a product that doesn't sponsor the NFL. Or wearing the wrong socks.

But somehow, refs are above reproach because reasons, even though their actions have a much bigger effect on how the game turns out?

K.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's Schadenfreude! Schendenfrunde would be dangerously close to Schändenfreude, which although not a real word would imply you enjoy violating things (like babies or corpses).

ahahahahaha goddamn, Germans have a word for everything!

The more I think about how Suh played yesterday, the more I entertain (just entertain!) the idea of keeping him over Megatron. I'd love to just dump Stafford but it's not possible, and even if it was...who would replace him? Are we going to magically find a good QB in the late rounds of the draft? Unlikely with this GM. Can we trade for one? I'd take Foles over Stafford in a heart beat but that's not gonna happen.

eznark

Banned
The more I think about how Suh played yesterday, the more I entertain (just entertain!) the idea of keeping him over Megatron. I'd love to just dump Stafford but it's not possible, and even if it was...who would replace him? Are we going to magically find a good QB in the late rounds of the draft? Unlikely with this GM. Can we trade for one? I'd take Foles over Stafford in a heart beat but that's not gonna happen.

If dumping Johnson allows them to keep Suh then it's a no brainer. Not sure it'll be that simple though.

It's not about finding a QB. No one in that organization seems ready to give up on Stafford and honestly they probably shouldn't. He isn't bad but he's better than half the league. I'd say you have to ride Stafford through his contract and then reevaluate. Not sure what his contract is though so for your sake I hope it's short!

Sephzilla

I, for one, want Stafford to stay with the Lions and Cutler to stay with the Bears. Because I like seeing the Packers rule the division.

(Really though, I'd like to see the Lions consistently be more of a competitive threat)

bionic77

Stafford could still get better.

He can obviously throw the ball. He just has to make better decisions. You would think by now he would be able to read a defense but I honestly don't know what the fuck he is seeing when he throws some of those balls. He is literally just chucking it up.

If it is 4th down with 30 seconds left fine go ahead and do that. But on the road with a good defense and a lead? That is unacceptable. I am not sure he will ever learn but it is possible he could get better in that aspect of the game.

The question is how much does he want to work to get better? All of these issues should have and could have been corrected by this point in his career.

WanderingWind

The Lions are a B grade running back from being in the Super Bowl, really. It's not hard to plan for such a one dimensional attack. If they had a back that teams were even remotely concerned about, they'd be legit Super Bowl contenders. I don't think I'd change much if I was the GM.

WanderingWind

Like I said it's not a real word per se. It's just that schänden translates to defiling/violating something.

I will say I'm stuck in my German. The hardest part of learning a language is that middle phase where you know the basics and then fluency. Even semi-fluency.

The Lions are a B grade running back from being in the Super Bowl, really. It's not hard to plan for such a one dimensional attack. If they had a back that teams were even remotely concerned about, they'd be legit Super Bowl contenders. I don't think I'd change much if I was the GM.

They have a B running back already, they just don't have a great run blocking O-line

Let's not stop at refs, replace the players too. No more human element!

1695058-superbaseball_03.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

THIS.

I'd take Suh over Calvin any day of the week.

Sephzilla

I'd take Calvin over Suh first because I think he's more talented and secondly Calvin isn't a risk to get suspended on a weekly basis.

Milchjon

I will say I'm stuck in my German. The hardest part of learning a language is that middle phase where you know the basics and then fluency. Even semi-fluency.

Just get drunk.

I haven't practiced Russian in almost 8 years and was never any good at it anyway, but I still drunkenly converse in Russian every now and then. Alcohol is a miracle cure for language barriers.

Although I assume that isn't a new technique to you.

If dumping Johnson allows them to keep Suh then it's a no brainer. Not sure it'll be that simple though.

It's not about finding a QB. No one in that organization seems ready to give up on Stafford and honestly they probably shouldn't. He isn't bad but he's better than half the league. I'd say you have to ride Stafford through his contract and then reevaluate. Not sure what his contract is though so for your sake I hope it's short!
Cutting him isn't feasible until 2017 at the earliest.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford/

I mean you could argue 2016 is doable if you make it a post-June 1st cut and split the dead money.

Calvin Johnson in the same boat:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/calvin-johnson/

Yeah, Lions should not give up on Stafford. He had a bad season but he's a good QB, maybe not worth the money though. Plus there's a dearth of good, available QBs in the NFL. They'd need to draft someone, and are they really going to bench Stafford for a rookie or second year guy when Stafford is at least getting them to the playoffs.

They have a B Grade running back in Joique Bell, and Bush is B grade too. They just have a lousy offensive line at run blocking.

WanderingWind

Just get drunk.

I haven't practiced Russian in almost 8 years and was never any good at it anyway, but I still drunkenly converse in Russian every now and then. Alcohol is a miracle cure for language barriers.

Although I assume that isn't a new technique to you.

Hahahah. I don't have paintings on my wall, but I have a fully stocked bar. Like, an actual bar. No, but the of the three German bros I know, only one of them drinks. This was a development I did not expect.

Milchjon

Of all the American quirks, the disdain for trains might be the weirdest.

Sure, different distances and all, but there are enough places where it makes sense.

The superior mode of transportation in like 75% of all cases.

manfestival

Sure, different distances and all, but there are enough places where it makes sense.

The only trains around here arent used for transportation of civilians . They are used for only transporting goods.

There was going to be an amazing rail system put here between 3 major cities(including my city) but the governor shut it down for some reason. Despite getting fed money from obama.

BigAT

I don't think you have an appreciation for how crappy the American rail system generally is.

bionic77

East coasters all love trains for getting around cities. Houses near a train stop are worth substantially more because if you can commute to work on the subway it is amazing.

But most Americans live in newer warm weather cities or suburbs where there basically is no public transport and really basically no city planning. There is unlimited space for newer cities like Houston and people just keep building further and further away from the city. Its not like a Euro city where there is finite space and you have to fit everything in.

MRSA

Banned

The HSR doesn't make sense going from LA to SF, it costs roughly $100 each way through air and travel time is less than an hour. HSR will take 3 hours and cost how much? $50? $75? Its a $66 billion public works that's going to go over budget and will be delayed past 2028 (lol).

brentech

Now, are you talking trains or subways?
I'd love to see more passenger trains available. Just not likely to happen.

I had a dream last night where Atlanta went into rebuilding mode, hired Lombardi as their new OC and we traded Stafford and Bush to the Falcons for Matt Ryan.

It would never happen because the Falcons are not that dumb, though. We would have to ship him somewhere like Tennessee or Arizona if we are being honest here.

But yeah, I looked at draft prospects and free agent possibilities. Holy hell, it is a barren wasteland out there this off season when Cutler might be the best option in FA and that's only if the Bears let him go.

Who wants to ride on smelly trains and see crazy homeless guys jerk off?

WanderingWind

Not in America they aren't. The public transit system in America is terrible.

Milchjon

Who wants to ride on smelly trains and see crazy homeless guys jerk off?

There's something very wrong with America if that's a serious concern!

Not in America they aren't. The public transit system in America is terrible.

I know, but it's a vicious cycle of disliking public transit and not getting better public transit.

That being said, I enjoyed my NorEaster trip from Portland to Boston.

WanderingWind

if watching NY sub system videos is any indication of a train experience. Then you all can keep your trains.

And NYC has the best transit system in America. Think about that for a second. Riding in a German train, though, is basically like flying first class. So clean, so punctual. It was absolutely a culture shock to see the differences in trains from there to here.

Milchjon

And NYC has the best transit system in America. Think about that for a second. Riding in a German train, though, is basically like flying first class. So clean,
so punctual
. It was absolutely a culture shock to see the differences in trains from there to here.

:jnc, complaining about train punctuality is pretty much the National German Pastime.

bionic77

if watching NY sub system videos is any indication of a train experience. Then you all can keep your trains.
The subway in NY is amazing.

I am not a fan of passenger trains. I wish we had invested in that kind of infrastructure like Europe and other countries have (we choose to bomb poor brown people instead of fixing our roads and adding high speed trains). But what we have sucks ass. It usually costs more to take the train than an airplane and often it is slower (especially over big distances). If you could take a high speed train over small distances (like Philly to New York) or to get quickly from the burbs to the city than I would be a huge proponent. But people in this country are too fucking stupid to ever think that far ahead and get on board with something like this.

They have a B running back already, they just don't have a great run blocking O-line

Bell has been great for us and should always be used. However if I'm not against taking a Melvin Gordon if he falls to us but only him.

I'd take Calvin over Suh first because I think he's more talented and secondly Calvin isn't a risk to get suspended on a weekly basis.

This it's honestly a foolish notion that we should take Suh over Johnson. It's like taking Braun over Fielder.

It's less a disdain for trains (there are a ton of train nuts and rail is a huge part of US history) and more a love for the auto.

Also, unlike virtually all European cities many US cities were designed from the ground up for the automobile, making trains largely irrelevant for getting around.

WanderingWind

:jnc, complaining about train punctuality is pretty much the National German Pastime.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that. But it's like a fat dude talking about how he's starving. Germans complain when their trains are like, 20 seconds late (no exaggeration, I've seen this several times). Americans routinely wait for 15-20 minutes for late buses. MARTA in Atlanta was infamous for literally never being on time to the point where saavy travelers ended up taking 1-2 buses before the one they actually wanted so they could reach a train station in time.

Pro

Can someone summarize Kas' game impressions for me? I missed them. I'm guessing something something Refs, something something Staffords schlong is beautiful, something something Refs, something something Suh is a class act for crying, something something Refs.

Also thread title is magnificent and I'm loving the Lions banner memes. Keep em coming. Bring on dem Boys. Go Pack.

Top Bottom