• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

Yesterday I saw people discussing which team had the best defense of all time. FO ranked every defense from 1950 in terms of DVOA and the 1991 Eagles came out far ahead. That was such a dominating defense, and people fail to remember that the offense that year went through a ton of QBs and could not stay on the field at all. They were constantly either going 3 and out or turning the ball over. If they had played with even a competent offense they would have been even better. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/historical-dvoa-estimates

85 Bears at 12? No.

I remember watching the 85 Bears games when I was a youngster with my dad and that defense was downright scary and just destroyed players.

eznark

Banned
Check out Mike Brown, what a fucking shit head!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...m-pay-for-daughter-s-cancer-treatments-090514

The Bengals re-signed defensive tackle Devon Still to their practice squad Sunday to help him pay for his 4-year-old daughter's cancer treatments. He was waived by the team last Saturday.
Still learned back in June that his daughter, Leah, has stage-four pediatric cancer. Since the diagnosis, Still's mind understandably hasn't been completely on football as he missed parts of organized team activities and minicamp this offseason to be with his daughter, which is why he understood the team's decision to cut him.
"I completely understand where the Bengals were coming from when they cut me because I couldn't give football 100 percent," Still told ABC News.
But when Still received the call this morning that he had been signed to the practice squad and would receive health insurance as well as a weekly salary of $6,300, he was incredibly grateful. Still also will remain in the game he loves, for the team that drafted him, without all of the traveling, meaning he can be closer to his daughter as she undergoes treatments.

Sephzilla

Maybe Rodgers and company understood that none of their receivers had the ability to straight outrun Sherman and that Sherman was simply too good to take a risky chance against. Thus why they put Boykin on Sherman the entire game and let their two better receivers go against the lesser backs. Can't say it wasn't a bad tactic. Packers still managed to put up 16 points on the Seahawks
which is more than the Broncos put up

It'd kinda be nice to see the 49ers win it all before Harbaugh bolts. Same for the Lions with Suh.

Neither will happen of course, and that makes me happier.

I know he's in the doghouse for being a moron and taking out the kicks but I'm seriously baffled why Harris didn't get the ball yesterday.

Screens, short passes, etc.

LevelNth

Banned
I interpret Rodgers saying 'yup' and walking away not as a compliment, but more as not wanting to talk to such an idiot talking head like Sherman and just placating him so he doesn't go off again THATS WHAT YOU GET

eznark

Banned
I know he's in the doghouse for being a moron and taking out the kicks but I'm seriously baffled why Harris didn't get the ball yesterday.

Screens, short passes, etc.

There was absolutely nothing outside on the run and the Packers ran one singular screen pass.

Simply not part of the game plan. He's useful when you can stretch a defense but the Packers weren't doing that yesterday.

bionic77

I am a hater but I love seeing salty/douchey Rodgers on the sidelines when things are going south on the team.

He looks like such a bitch. He doesn't share a lot in common with Brady (he had a penis, great arm and can outrun a dead turtle) but that is one thing they have in common. Probably the only thing.

Too bad I won't see that again for a long time. GB is going to be really good on offense this year if they stay healthy. And with a real running back they might just choke out teams once they get a double digit lead.

Ez what do you think of the coaching at GB? Team was sloppy last night and is making the same mistakes on defense for several years now. Do they just fire Capers or is fatso on the hot seat if they are one and done?

Yesterday I saw people discussing which team had the best defense of all time. FO ranked every defense from 1950 in terms of DVOA and the 1991 Eagles came out far ahead. That was such a dominating defense, and people fail to remember that the offense that year went through a ton of QBs and could not stay on the field at all. They were constantly either going 3 and out or turning the ball over. If they had played with even a competent offense they would have been even better. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/historical-dvoa-estimates

Best defense of all time was the 70's Steelers. Unlike other teams like the Bears, Ratbirds Rams, or Eagles, they didn't dominate for one year and disappear. They were monsters for consecutive years, winning 3 championships in that span. In fact, their most dominating season didn't culminate in a SB win due to injuries to the RBs.

(They started to decline in their 4th championship season).

Wow that really is a great story. It is horrible that his child is sick, but it is really nice of the team to help him out like that.

Best defense of all time was the 70's Steelers. Unlike other teams like the Bears, Ratbirds Rams, or Eagles, they didn't dominate for one year and disappear. They were monsters for consecutive years, winning 3 championships in that span. In fact, their most dominating season didn't culminate in a SB win due to injuries to the RBs.

jnc, they Eagles defense didnt continue to dominate because its best player Jerome Brown fucking died and then a bunch of guys left during FA, also Buddy got fired and replaced by a moron named Kotite.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I just wish the pack would have been more competitive in this game. I wasn't really expecting to beat the champs at their house but was hoping we'd be in the game and put up a good fight but that didn't happen. The second half was a complete disaster. It just feels like no matter what happens this year now this game is going to haunt the pack all the way up until the playoffs. Gonna be a long week :(

Sephzilla

Ez what do you think of the coaching at GB? Team was sloppy last night and is making the same mistakes on defense for several years now. Do they just fire Capers or is fatso on the hot seat if they are one and done?

I know you didn't ask me but I wanted to chime in anyway. They'll probably never fire McCarthy because he won a Super Bowl, so he's practically untouchable (even though I personally think McCarthy is a very over rated coach). If the defense keeps playing like they did against Seattle, Capers shouldn't make it through the year. But McCarthy and Ted Thompson don't seem to have the guts to do anything dramatic like that, so Capers will dodge bullets until the very end of the year
and then come back for the 2015 season

I wasn't expecting the Pack to beat Seattle in Seattle but I expected them to be a little more competitive. Their defense looked like a college level squad all game, and the entire team looked like they didn't have a clue in the second half.

Only one man will defeat Sherman this year!

bilde

KaYotiX

Banned
lol, Sherman was covering Boykin the entire game. Why didn't Sherman challenge himself by covering one of the Packers top two receivers?

This, Sherman is a joke and should stop calling himself the best in the NFL.

he plays on one side of the field and is scared of the other. I wish Rodgers would of at least tried to challenge him a few times though.

"I was a teammate of Deion Sanders and it was easy when opponents threw away from him cause we rolled coverage away, but it was harder when San Francisco or the other Elite QBs would throw to him cause the whole field would be in play"
Darren Woodson on First Take. Truth

"Brett Favre would of threw to Sherman"
Stephen A Smith. Lol that's saying something but also true.

eznark

Banned
"I was a teammate of Deion Sanders and it was easy when opponents threw away from him cause we rolled coverage away, but it was harder when San Francisco or the other Elite QBs would throw to him cause the whole field would be in play"
Darren Woodson on First Take. Truth

"Brett Favre would of threw to Sherman"
Stephen A Smith. Lol that's saying something but also true.

I like that he says "to" and not "at." Those interceptions would've been helpful to the Packers cause I am sure.

If only Rodgers would punch a few women, maybe Stephen A. would like him....

PFF_Steve

If you're going to avoid throwing to Sherman, and your reads are all middle/left, then the right tackle becomes the blindside protector

Just saw this tweet. Very interesting point. With GB losing their right tackle, their plan to avoid Sherman really worked against them as two of Seattle's sacks came from the right end with Rodgers' back turned to the rusher.

Sherman had 8 ints last year on very few passes against. I dont think forcing the ball to Boykin while he is covering him is the answer. GB definitely should have thrown to other guys on that side so as to not shrink the field, but throwing picks just to say we challenged Sherman seems dumb.

Sephzilla

Favre would of had a 50/50 chance of INT or TD

Definitely. Favre's strength and weakness was that he didn't give a shit and thought he could beat anyone.

Honestly, I kind of miss that. My biggest complaint about Rodgers is that he holds onto the ball for too damn long and doesn't take enough chances. Rodgers takes a lot of unnecessary sacks.

Colasante

Sherman had 8 ints last year on very few passes against. I dont think forcing the ball to Boykin while he is covering him is the answer. GB definitely should have thrown to other guys on that side so as to not shrink the field, but throwing picks just to say we challenged Sherman seems dumb.

That would certainly be dumb, but putting a better wide receiver like Nelson or Cobb against Sherman wouldn't be. I don't think Sherman would have shut down either as easily as he did Boykin.

eznark

Banned

Pretty much.

Cobb should've been living underneath Boykin.

Definitely. Favre's strength and weakness was that he didn't give a shit and thought he could beat anyone.

Honestly, I kind of miss that. My biggest complaint about Rodgers is that he holds onto the ball for too damn long and doesn't take enough chances. Rodgers takes a lot of unnecessary sacks.

crazy.gif

Sephzilla

That would certainly be dumb, but putting a better wide receiver like Nelson or Cobb against Sherman wouldn't be. I don't think Sherman would have shut down either as easily as he did Boykin.

But why would you even risk shutting down one of your better receivers if Seattle shows absolutely no interest in putting their best CB on your best WR?

Well, I really don't think he takes enough chances. Rodgers in my opinion plays conservative for a guy of his talents. He has the strength and accuracy to pull off some Favre level shit (in a good way).

Giants team captains announced.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina · 1m

Giants announce 2014 team captains: Manning, Cruz, Rolle, Beason and DeOssie.
Nothing terribly surprising. Beason taking over the C for the departed Tuck.

Tom Penny

If Nelson was on Sherman and Sherman would be in man all game he'd get thrown at without question. That would not happen. He's never on an island against any receiver all game. That's not how their defense operates.

Eleuin

well at least the game was close for a little bit (just watched it on game rewind)

Run d was terrible but that's nothing new.
ILBs wouldn't start for a goddam arena league team, jesus christ why does capers still have a job?
Rodgers was shook the first half, especially that pass when he already had the first on 4th&3 wtf
Those delayed handoffs and pitches to lacy went absolutely nowhere most of the time, had to get the yards all by himself. But he got concussed again? Fucking A :\
Bulaga being out sucks, wish the oline could all be healthy and you know, good.

All in all the better team won ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ RIP Hito

If I recall correctly, the Bears were throwing it at Sherman during the preseason. They were getting good yardage too. Not much trying to go over him, but I remember a drive where Cutler (or whoever the QB was at the time) kept throwing it towards the right side on comeback routes getting solid gains.

If anything I think the Seahawks actually came off looking worse.

We've known what the Pack is for years - Dominant QB, powerful offense, shitty defense. That hasn't changed.

Conversely some of the Seahawks mystique got rubbed off yesterday. While they still have a dominant secondary, that front seven looked flat. Disciplined, but flat.I'm also still unimpressed with Russell. I've never seen a scrambling QB get so many clean throws. Obviously that's in large part due to the offense Seattle runs though.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24695455/buffalo-tension-boils-over-in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials

I'd be pissed too if my team drafted EJ Manuel in the 1st, then traded another future 1st for a fragile wide receiver.
Odds on Jim Schwartz being their head coach by the end of the season?

Trading everything for Watkins when you don't even have a NFL starting QB on your roster...good luck. Sucks because EJ seems like a cool guy but he's in a horrible situation and isn't getting better; apparently he doesn't even have a QB coach.

Odds on Jim Schwartz being their head coach by the end of the season?

Trading everything for Watkins when you don't even have a NFL starting QB on your roster...good luck. Sucks because EJ seems like a cool guy but he's in a horrible situation and isn't getting better; apparently he doesn't even have a QB coach.

Todd Downing is the Bills QB coach.

Bowser

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 5m
Photographic evidence of Cam Newton throwing a football

Bwx5LfACEAA-GDC.jpg:large

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 5m
DeAngelo Williams tells reporters "he's not limited today!" talking about Newton

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 1m
Cam Newton was throwing today at Panthers practice. DeAngelo Williams provided injury update, telling reporters Cam was not limited today.

smh DeAngelo stfu, it's called gamesmanship

LevelNth

Banned
Conversely some of the Seahawks mystique got rubbed off yesterday. While they still have a dominant secondary, that front seven looked flat. Disciplined, but flat.I'm also still unimpressed with Russell. I've never seen a scrambling QB get so many clean throws. Obviously that's in large part due to the offense Seattle runs though.
People underestimate the importance of PA to their offense, Lynch is the entire foundation it stands on. Everything they do is dictated from that base, even most of Harvin's plays that weren't outright off the bat were the same.

Lynch is a dominating RB, and Seattle has crafted the absolute perfect system for him. So many people were WAY jumping the gun saying they can be the same without him. I think it's going to be a DRASTIC downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom