• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he makes them division contenders, but I don't agree they are contenders for the first pick w/o him. Pettine will have the defense too good to lost 12+ games. BUF seems to be the clear front runner for the first pick

Maybe that's what he meant by saying they would challenge for the 1st pick.

Gordon is so good and the Browns D should be good also but HoHoyer has looked terrible in the preseason, and JFF isnt close to being ready. Even with Gordon Brown struggle to win 6 games.

eznark

Banned
I guess I meant more like their floor could be the #1 overall pick and their ceiling could be winning the division. Even at this juncture, knowing that Gordon is gone for the full season, I see the Browns at around 5 or 6 wins, but I do think they have the potential for a highly combustible season that ends with them having the worst record. I'm not trying to be sensationalistic, just commenting on the wide variance possible when you either have or don't have the NFL's best receiver on your team.

Their ceiling with Hoyer/Manziel is not winning the division.

Gordon played in 14 games last year, they won 4 of them. The year before that he played in 16 and they won 5.

I think what you're really trying to say is that this years QB's make them a contender if they have Gordon, not that Gordon makes them a contender....I hope

Colasante

Their ceiling with Hoyer/Manziel is not winning the division.

Gordon played in 14 games last year, they won 4 of them. The year before that he played in 16 and they won 5.

I think what you're really trying to say is that this years QB's make them a contender if they have Gordon, not that Gordon makes them a contender....I hope

The Browns play the Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Bucs, Texans, Bills, and Panthers this season. I don't consider the AFC North as strong as it has been in recent years. I think Pettine has the potential to coach a top 10 defense there. If they play a run-first, play action style offense with Manziel at the helm, I think they can win the division if things break their way, but only if Gordon is available. If Gordon isn't available, their #1 wide receiver is Miles Austin. Without a receiver to stretch the field, it highly limits what they're able to do on offense and makes the play action much less effective. My point was mostly that with Gordon, their potential is much higher, and without him, their potential is much lower.

I don't think it's totally insane to think they could win the division, and I also don't think it's insane to think that they end up with the worst record in football if Hoyer is what we expect him to be and Manziel is the disaster that Mech expects him to be. Do you really think I'm being that unreasonable?

Ellington might miss extended time due to a foot injury....FUUUUUUUUUUUU

He's supposed to be a large part of the offense this season so this is really a blow if he's out long. The kid is really talented and it's a large drop off to Dwyer. They haven't released his MRI results yet but the rumor is that it's a muscle injury which don't really have timetables since everyone heals at different speeds. He needs to steal some of that AP healing power. Won't hear much more until after practice so keeping my fingers crossed that's it's minor.

Bowser

The Browns play the Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Bucs, Texans, Bills, and Panthers this season. I don't consider the AFC North as strong as it has been in recent years. I think Pettine has the potential to coach a top 10 defense there. If they play a run-first, play action style offense with Manziel at the helm, I think they can win the division if things break their way, but only if Gordon is available. If Gordon isn't available, their #1 wide receiver is Miles Austin. Without a receiver to stretch the field, it highly limits what they're able to do on offense and makes the play action much less effective.

I don't think it's totally insane to think they could win the division, and I also don't think it's insane to think that they end up with the worst record in football if Hoyer is what we expect him to be and Manziel is the disaster that Mech expects him to be. Do you really think I'm being that unreasonable?

The Panthers front 7 will eat Manziel (Hoyer will be long benched by then) alive.

eznark

Banned
The Browns play the Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Bucs, Texans, Bills, and Panthers this season. I don't consider the AFC North as strong as it has been in recent years. I think Pettine has the potential to coach a top 10 defense there. If they play a run-first, play action style offense with Manziel at the helm, I think they can win the division if things break their way, but only if Gordon is available. If Gordon isn't available, their #1 wide receiver is Miles Austin. Without a receiver to stretch the field, it highly limits what they're able to do on offense and makes the play action much less effective.

If all I changed out where Manziel/Hoyer with Weeden/Campbell would you feel the same?

Colasante

If all I changed out where Manziel/Hoyer with Weeden/Campbell would you feel the same?

No. I think Manziel is a great fit for Kyle Shanahan's offense and has huge, division-winning upside. I don't think Weeden or Campbell have any upside whatsoever. If that's the point you were trying to make, you're right.

I've been busy at work all day but man it felt good to watch a real football game last night. It's a shame it wasn't more of a game but I guess it was kind of expected.

Hokies vs. Ohio State and Dolphins vs. Pats this weekend. I am so excited/terrified.

eznark

Banned
No. I think Manziel is a great fit for Kyle Shanahan's offense and has huge, division-winning upside. I don't think Weeden or Campbell have any upside whatsoever. If that's the point you were trying to make, you're right.

Your initial phrasing implied you think Gordon is worth 6-9 wins by himself. What you mean is that this offense is improved with or without Gordon, but with him they are potentially good, not just better.

Fair?

I think Gordon could help the team immensely. He changes the entire offense. Let's not act like he's the only piece the Browns have and compare them to the 0-16 Lions.

It's not Gordon that adds the 5/6 wins, it's his role in the team and what he does for them on O.

Also, how do players directly correlate to wins? An elite D-lineman like Watt doesn't add a lot of wins by himself, but does that mean the team shouldn't value him ? Are QBs the only players with real stand alone value?

Colasante

Your initial phrasing implied you think Gordon is worth 6-9 wins by himself. What you mean is that this offense is improved with or without Gordon, but with him they are potentially good, not just better.

Fair?

I think my original statement, that with Gordon, they could win the division, and without, they could receive the #1 overall pick, was accurate, but for the sake of ending the argument, that's fair.

Crisco

Banned
Cam listed as questionable for Sunday. Took all first team reps at QB and "looked good" per Rivera

Hrm.

Yeah ok, the BBR dude is the only person that's been saying Cam won't play. I think this is a case of a blogger really really wanting to be right.

cajunator

Banned
The only player proven to change a team from a division winner to number one pick is Curtis Painter.

I remember that team was so bad we had scored like 48 points and were just trying to run out the clock yet scored 14 more points because they didnt give a fuck.

Gobias

Banned
Taylor Gabriel is going to be our #3 WR Sunday? Looks like we are going to have another season of record setting pass attempts again.

Hunter S.

OMG. I just posted the facebook fandom map for my prediction league and some UTAH guy is very mad UTAH is all orange this year. lol

Gobias

Banned
I don't know anything about OSU other than they are missing Miller and they haven't lost in forever. What should I expect other than a loss?

Well, we actually lost two games ago to fucking Clemson. You should expect a lot of running from multiple talented running backs and a very conservative passing game because of a young QB and a garbage offensive line. The Defensive line is loaded with talent even though the defense as a whole was getting torn up by Navy. Basically, I don't know what I'm expecting either. I wouldn't be surprised if Virginia Tech wins, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State wins by 17.

I think if we actually had a defensive coordinator that set the tone, it could change.
I think we'd blow less coverages with a new DC, but the continued unpreparedness for physical play on both sides of the ball is what I judge as an indictment of the head coach above all else.

Crisco

Banned
Guy is pretty reputable though. He has good sources inside the team.

I bet if the rib injury was kept under wraps, there'd be no doubt about him playing. The fear now is that the Bucs will try to target the injured area and cause a more severe injury. I've always wondered why the NFL isn't secretive about injuries like the NHL.

I think we'd blow less coverages with a new DC, but the continued unpreparedness for physical play on both sides of the ball is what I judge as an indictment of the head coach above all else.
If we're going that far how about the talent that TT provides McCarthy with? Everyone has to take some of the blame

BigAT

I completely forgot that Jake Locker was still a starting quarterback in the NFL. The Titans are such a forgettable team.

So the Pats picked up Don Jones (Dolphins S who got cut) and Marcus Thigpen (Dolphins WR who got cut) to their practice squad. Hoodie always looking for that intel.

If we're going that far how about the talent that TT provides McCarthy with? Everyone has to take some of the blame
Sure, front 7 is not good. But TT didn't start Nick Barnett over Bishop, and he's not the one giving playing time to Brad Jones. It's entirely probable that even if we had Butkus II on the roster, he wouldn't be playing.

But talent level aside, inability to tackle and play physical is coaching. And specifically the "how we spend our practice time" part.

Pro

Sure, front 7 is not good. But TT didn't start Nick Barnett over Bishop, and he's not the one giving playing time to Brad Jones. It's entirely probable that even if we had Butkus II on the roster, he wouldn't be playing.

But talent level aside, inability to tackle is coaching. And specifically the "what we spend our practice time" part.

Definitely some coaching issues last night. Multiple critical 3rd downs were just completely botched. Aaron could have run 5 measly open yards in the open field to get a first down but instead overthrew Nelson by 3 feet. Roughing the punter resulting in a first down. Holding call late in the game that resulted in a first down when it would have been fourth. Another offensive holding call erasing a nice completion. Not to mention that severely botched 4th down with 7 minutes to go in the third still!!!! Coach better button that shit up for sure and play smarter. Way too many mistakes for going up against the champs in their house.

I completely forgot that Jake Locker was still a starting quarterback in the NFL. The Titans are such a forgettable team.

I kinda had a laugh because when I was playing Madden and creating a QB for an offline franchise--just the base stat QB without any real skill leveling yet had a higher OVR than Locker scrolling through teams. And he was the only one.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
10632890_10152638310053605_8615445229839636568_n.jpg

I wonder with the rule changes around drugs if the Lane Johnson suspension gets reduced or removed.

Not unless he took an amphetamine during the offseason. His suspension was for PEDs, the only reason Wes might get off is because he got a PED suspension for taking an amphetamine and they are going to change that so that they are no longer listed as PEDs during the offseason.

Not unless he took an amphetamine during the offseason. His suspension was for PEDs, the only reason Wes might get off is because he got a PED suspension for taking an amphetamine and they are going to change that so that they are no longer listed as PEDs during the offseason.

We don't know what he took in the offseason. I get the impression that there is probably going to be a change that is bigger than just amphetamine though. I wonder if it will include something like adderall or not.

We don't know what he took in the offseason. I get the impression that there is probably going to be a change that is bigger than just amphetamine though. I wonder if it will include something like adderall or not.

I guess we will see.

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

For those asking who couldn’t hear the radio show, the QB the Texans targeted before Mallett was Matt Barkley according to two sources.

Dammit Chip we could have had that 6th round pick. Funny that they wanted Barkley more and had to settle for Mallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom