• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

People underestimate the importance of PA to their offense, Lynch is the entire foundation it stands on. Everything they do is dictated from that base, even most of Harvin's plays that weren't outright off the bat were the same.

Lynch is a dominating RB, and Seattle has crafted the absolute perfect system for him. So many people were WAY jumping the gun saying they can be the same without him. I think it's going to be a DRASTIC downgrade.

QBs always get all the love, unfortunately. GB learned last night that if you can't stop (or even contain) the run against Seattle, you've got no chance. Seattle average 5.6 YPC last night...

Wilson was getting a lot of love after the game, but PFF didn't even grade him out well (-2.2)

Sherman is probably my favorite non Viking beside honorary Viking Percy.

With that said I've seen Jarius Wright burn him for a TD from ponder.

JdvPJ1n.gif

Ponder will get his revenge on the disbelievers.

In this life or the next.

brentech

GB learned last night that if you can't stop (or even contain) the run against Seattle, you've got no chance. Seattle average 5.6 YPC last night...

That's GB being GB. Every year, we say we're going to tackle, but we never do.
Time to change players and coordinator. ILB just can't be this useless all season long.

After sleeping on it last night, damn I'm depressed about the Packers. Not for losing, not even for getting their asses handed to them, but for once again losing so badly in game prep to a physical team.

Ever since the CBA changed (less full contact practices), this team has been charmin soft. Capers has definitely lost it, but I don't think it's just him. I think it's Mccarthy. We don't practice tackling! He can't adjust where other teams (SF, SEA) have. No matter who DCs, I think we're doomed to awful defense as long as he's HC... which will probably be the length of Rodgers' career. Gonna waste his prime and break Peyton's record for one and dones. Feels bad man.

I do hope Sherman is at least training in other positions on the field cause the last thing I want to see is him become the next Nandi.

He's already got the smoking hot wife with a steady, high paying job. Dude should just retire and go Mr. Mom.

True.
He also has a double-masters degree or something... so he'll be fine. Probably make a good TV analyst for the NFL one day.

In all truthfulness, I liked Ponder and wanted him to succeed, but he simply wasn't evolving as a passer. For every wonderful play (i.e. that gif) he'd have five more that were just horribly amateur. He didn't learn from his mistakes and after multiple seasons he still stares his receivers down. Granted, he had an inept head coach with Frazier and a dipshit OC like Bill Musgrave, but some of Ponder's shortcomings I'm convinced you just can't teach/correct.

Bridgewater future. :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=128596586#post128596586

The Oakland Raiders have agreed to pay $1.25 million to settle a lawsuit that accused them of cheating their cheerleading squad, the Raiderettes, out of minimum wages and expenses.

Lawyers for the Raiderettes and the football team announced the proposed settlement Thursday and said they would seek preliminary approval Sept. 26 from a judge in Alameda County.

The settlement covers 90 women who worked as cheerleaders during any of the four NFL seasons from 2010 through 2013. Lawyers said the women would get about $6,000 for each year they worked between 2010 and 2012, and $2,500 for 2013, when the Raiders raised their pay.

Those sums cover all unpaid expenses and minimum wages, plus interest, said Sharon Vinick, a lawyer for the Raiderettes.

The suit, filed in January, said the cheerleaders' salary of $125 per home game, or $1,250 per season, worked out to less than $5 an hour. That included hours of unpaid work at two to three rehearsals per week, performances at 10 charity events per season, and participation in the team's annual swimsuit calendar photo shoot, the suit said. California's current minimum wage is $9 an hour.

The Raiders also required the women to pay the costs of traveling to those events and to pay for tights, false eyelashes, a yoga mat, and the fees of a team-selected hairstylist, the cheerleaders said.

They said the team also imposed arbitrary fines of $10 or more for such offenses as bringing the wrong pom-poms to practice, and withheld their wages until the end of each season despite a state law that requires pay at least twice a month.

Vinick said the Raiders have changed their policies and now comply with state law. She said similar suits are pending against the Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"We hope the other teams will fall in line and clean up their act," the attorney said.

Out of the $1.25 million settlement, Vinick said, the Raiderettes will get just under $800,000, and the rest will go for attorneys' fees and legal costs.

The Raiders were unavailable for comment. Lawyers for the team signed the proposed settlement and a request for court approval.

HawkeyeIC

I do hope Sherman is at least training in other positions on the field cause the last thing I want to see is him become the next Nandi.

He shadowed Boldin last year in week 2, right? I think it makes sense in certain situations to move him around, but it's not like GB was lighting up the other side of the field.

Bowser

Barnwell: NFL Season Predictions, Part 4: The Contenders

Atlanta Falcons

2013 Record: 4-12
Pythagorean Wins: 5.9 (underperformed by 1.9 wins, second-unluckiest team in NFL)
Record in Games Decided by Seven Points or Fewer: 3-7 (0.300, fifth-unluckiest)
2013 Strength of Schedule: 0.532 (fifth-toughest)
Estimated 2014 Strength of Schedule: 11th-toughest
Turnover Margin: minus-7 (ninth-worst)
2014 Out-of-Division Schedule: NFC North, AFC North, vs. Cardinals, at Giants

VQjroYb.gif

mkenyon said:
Buckethead said:
Which little babby Seahawks fan wants a new avatar?

Let's make this bet and seal it in blood.

#fuckers #redmeat #babywipes

I'll take this.

You've got to be fucking insane if you think the Hawks are losing a home opener. We didn't do that even when we were shitty.

...what?

Mike Jurecki of KGME-AM and the Arizona Republic reports that running back Andre Ellington will undergo an MRI on his foot. Per the report, Ellington "could miss an extended period of time" although it's too early to know a prognosis yet.

Sorry Fitz

eznark

Banned
After sleeping on it last night, damn I'm depressed about the Packers. Not for losing, not even for getting their asses handed to them, but for once again losing so badly in game prep to a physical team.

Ever since the CBA changed (less full contact practices), this team has been charmin soft. Capers has definitely lost it, but I don't think it's just him. I think it's Mccarthy. We don't practice tackling! He can't adjust where other teams (SF, SEA) have. No matter who DCs, I think we're doomed to awful defense as long as he's HC... which will probably be the length of Rodgers' career. Gonna waste his prime and break Peyton's record for one and dones. Feels bad man.

2011 was a historically great defense.

LevelNth

Banned
Uh oh, that Ellington injury doesn't sound good. Anything feet to a running back always makes my mind go immediately to Lisfranc.

eznark

Banned
Twitter is garbage for extended conversations and since it's all NFLGaf people in it, I want to present this tweet from our own Cola, without further commet:

colasante @colasante
@DXTex @MilanNL @squick4n With Gordon for 16 games, they have a chance at winning the division. Without, a chance at the #1 overall pick.

Bowser

Cam listed as questionable for Sunday. Took all first team reps at QB and "looked good" per Rivera

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 1m
Here’s the latest I’ve learned: The #Panthers would prefer Cam doesn’t play, but he’s trying to convince himself and them he can.

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 25s
Feeling is it’s still unlikely, but it’s VERY fluid. Will likely truly go till Sun. AM. Also to note: Cam doesn’t like needles.

Hrm.

Didn't even realize he had the Panthers as cellar dwellers, what a joke.

Most disrespected division champ in a long time.

But its whatever though. Pre-season predictions mean jackshit when the games actually count. And I'd be saying the same thing if everyone was picking the Panthers to win the Super Bowl.

Colasante

Twitter is garbage for extended conversations and since it's all NFLGaf people in it, I want to present this tweet from our own Cola, without further commet:

Josh Gordon was the best wide receiver in the NFL last season. Is it really such a stretch to suggest a full season of him would have an enormous impact on his team?

jakncoke

Banned

Silly Cola thinks a 6 or 7 win team can with the North... wait, he may be on to something!

Colasante

Yes. No wide receiver represents a 7/8 game swing.

I don't consider it an 8 game swing. I don't think any team this year is 2-14 level bad, so I can see the #1 pick going to a 3-13 or 4-12 team, and I think the AFC North could be won with a 10-6 record, possibly even 9-7.

eznark

Banned
Josh Gordon was the best wide receiver in the NFL last season. Is it really such a stretch to suggest a full season of him would have an enormous impact on his team?

No team will win fewer than 3 games this year.

The AFC North will take at least 10 to win it (I think 11 but I'm a Bengals fan).

You think Josh Gordon is worth 7 wins?! That's fucking insane. If it were true teams should pay him literally 75% of their payroll, because by himself he gets them 75% of the way to the postseason.

Colasante

No team will win fewer than 3 games this year.

The AFC North will take at least 10 to win it (I think 11 but I'm a Bengals fan).

You think Josh Gordon is worth 7 wins?! That's fucking insane. If it were true teams should pay him literally 75% of their payroll, because by himself he gets them 75% of the way to the postseason.

I guess I meant more like their floor could be the #1 overall pick and their ceiling could be winning the division. Even at this juncture, knowing that Gordon is gone for the full season, I see the Browns at around 5 or 6 wins, but I do think they have the potential for a highly combustible season that ends with them having the worst record. I'm not trying to be sensationalistic, just commenting on the wide variance possible when you either have or don't have the NFL's best receiver on your team.

squicken

I agree he makes them division contenders, but I don't agree they are contenders for the first pick w/o him. Pettine will have the defense too good to lost 12+ games. BUF seems to be the clear front runner for the first pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom