• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Of course nothing changed. Seattle is still the best NFC team and GB isn't on their level and need someone else to knock them out to have any chance at a SB berth.

Or Seattle would have to come to Lambeau
assuming Lambeau has any playoff mystique left. Thanks Vick/Sherman/McCarthy

Talon

Missing that tackle was kind of depressing though, since that was supposed to be his one big strength.

He was in position pretty much the entire game, which is huge.

I anticipate next Monday people will be like "holy shit the Packers are actually awesome" after they puckerfuck the Jets.

So goofy.

Sports!

ShaneB

This. Opinions and outlooks and predictions change daily.

Football is really back now after having listened to the Week 1 Around the NFL prediction podcast. Loved Sessler giving so many low scores to some games lol. Bucs/Panthers game going to end 3-0!

Glennondork fundamentally confused about who's signing his checks.

BwxXTJyIcAANbwI.jpg:large

North Carolina State University education at work everybody.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I hope my Houston Texans start off good this year. Our defense is freaking amazing, but I worry about our offense, e.g., the offensive line and the QB specifically.

So Pack fans how do you feel about Rodgers not challenge Sherman at all? I mean he's one of the best if not the best QBs in the game and he didn't even challenge him. As bad as First Take can be they're making a good point about Rodgers bitching out against Sheman.

eznark

Banned
So Pack fans how do you feel about Rodgers not challenge Sherman at all? I mean he's one of the best if not the best QBs in the game and he didn't even challenge him. As bad as First Take can be they're making a good point about Rodgers bitching out against Sheman.

lol, Sherman was covering Boykin the entire game. Why didn't Sherman challenge himself by covering one of the Packers top two receivers?

lol, Sherman was covering Boykin the entire game. Why didn't Sherman challenge himself by covering one of the Packers top two receivers?

Because what he was doing worked so well. Holding the Packers to 175 passing yards is a huge accomplishment. Sherman takes his side and effectively shrinks the field, making it harder for the offense to function.

Colasante

Tension between Bills coach Doug Marrone and the team's front office spilled over recently in a loud verbal altercation on the practice field between the head coach and several team officials, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, punctuating what had been a tumultuous preseason for the franchise as it awaits word on new ownership.

The Bills, currently for sale after the passing of founding owner Ralph Wilson with formal bids due by mid-September, made news in the preseason when Marrone, who can be combustible, erupted publicly after two straight days of explosive training camp fights. Issues between the coach and the media have come to the fore as well, with him now using public relations officials to address injuries during his news conferences. Behind the scenes, things have been festering as well, sources said, with the blow-up between team officials shortly before the end of the preseason and final cuts, within earshot of players, shocking many who witnessed it.

The incident began with Marrone, who sources said has had a strained relationship with director of player personnel Jim Monos from their time together in New Orleans, getting into a loud exchange with Monos in which the men were cursing at each other to the point where others noticed ("they were more or less MFing each other," is how one source put it). General manager Doug Whaley then intervened. The expletives continued and finally team president and acting owner Russ Brandon tried to defuse the situation by getting involved in an attempt to get all parties to "shut up," as one source put it. But that too escalated into more yelling and hollering, with Brandon and Marrone ultimately separated by their peers and Marrone, in earshot of players, making remarks along the lines of "go ahead and fire me," before order was restored and the team took the field for practice.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24695455/buffalo-tension-boils-over-in-shouting-match-for-marrone-bills-officials

I'd be pissed too if my team drafted EJ Manuel in the 1st, then traded another future 1st for a fragile wide receiver.

eznark

Banned
Because what he was doing worked so well. Holding the Packers to 175 passing yards is a huge accomplishment. Sherman takes his side and effectively shrinks the field, making it harder for the offense to function.

Absolutely, he's amazing. But that entire defense is stout as fuck against the pass. If they are content with shutting down Boykin, that's a win for Green Bay. They need to be able to do more with Cobb and Nelson though and they couldn't. Rodgers was bad in the first half.

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman 18h
Lovie Smith on Mike Glennon lining up as Cam Newton in practice: "Not as dark as Cam, but a pretty imposing figure."

eznark is the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Absolutely, he's amazing. But that entire defense is stout as fuck against the pass. If they are content with shutting down Boykin, that's a win for Green Bay. They need to be able to do more with Cobb and Nelson though and they couldn't. Rodgers was bad in the first half.

GB should have motioned Cobb or Nelson into a bunch formation with Boykin and forced Sherman to decide who to cover, maybe hope for a miscommunication with the Seattle defense and get someone wide open.

I don't remember how the LBs were playing but I was surprised there weren't more short crossing routes to stretch the field then again Mike gonna Mike.

Bostick or a decent enough TE would be helpful.

Considering this formula lead them to a Super Bowl why change it now. Say what you want but not even glance at the right side of the field during the game whether it was the coach's decision or not is sending the wrong message to the team.

Colasante

I don't see how not throwing Sherman's way at all can be seen as a positive. Sherman may be the best corner in the league, but he's mortal. He can be burnt, and repeatedly, as TY Hilton showed. When you give up an entire side of the field, it makes Earl Thomas' responsibilities that much easier, which hurts the opposite side of the field as well.

So Peter King was on Dan Patrick's show today he said that he has heard from several high ranking NFL people that the reason LA hasnt got a team yet is because the NFL wants 2 teams in LA at the same time. I wonder how that would even work from a fan standpoint, how would they decide which team to root for if they got 2 new teams at the same time.

He also said that the refs have been told to ease up on contact downfield calls, but if they see a jersey being grabbed to call it every time.

eznark

Banned
Considering this formula lead them to a Super Bowl why change it now. Say what you want but not even glance at the right side of the field during the game whether it was the coach's decision or not is sending the wrong message to the team.

lol, I'm not saying Seattle should change anything. I'm saying I'd rather have Nelson and Cobb than Cobb and Boykin. It's a terrible matchup and saying Rodgers should throw at him just to throw at him is idiotic.

They were able to get some nice gains to Quarless underneath that coverage because Seattle stacked the left side of the field and I think that's probably the best way to attack it. Once Lane went down though I think Burley just became too juicy a target for Rodgers to pass up on and the kid played really well.

Tamanon

Banned
So Peter King was on Dan Patrick's show today he said that he has heard from several high ranking NFL people that the reason LA hasnt got a team yet is because the NFL wants 2 teams in LA at the same time. I wonder how that would even work from a fan standpoint, how would they decide which team to root for if they got 2 new teams at the same time.

He also said that the refs have been told to ease up on contact downfield calls, but if they see a jersey being grabbed to call it every time.

That sounds insanely dumb. We're not even sure LA fans would support one team.

I don't see how not throwing Sherman's way at all can be seen as a positive. Sherman may be the best corner in the league, but he's mortal. He can be burnt, and repeatedly, as TY Hilton showed. When you give up an entire side of the field, it makes Earl Thomas' responsibilities that much easier, which hurts the opposite side of the field as well.

Sherman is probably my favorite non Viking beside honorary Viking Percy.

With that said I've seen Jarius Wright burn him for a TD from ponder.

Yeah he can be beat so why not try him. I mean let's not forget he got burned by Titus Young of all people. I mean Sherman's my dude and he's my favorite corner in the league but you got burned by Titus Young.

Preseason Carr tested Sherman 3 times (here are two of them)...

FloweryFewBull.gif

WeeklyBlandFairybluebird.gif

eznark

Banned

So he is trotting out 2 year old rumors? GG King! Must be nice.

lol, I'm not saying Seattle should change anything. I'm saying I'd rather have Nelson and Cobb than Cobb and Boykin. It's a terrible matchup and saying Rodgers should throw at him just to throw at him is idiotic.

They were able to get some nice gains to Quarless underneath that coverage because Seattle stacked the left side of the field and I think that's probably the best way to attack it. Once Lane went down though I think Burley just became too juicy a target for Rodgers to pass up on and the kid played really well.

I'll put it like this. If y'all play them in the playoffs and Rodgers doesn't test Sherman at all, y'all lost.

squicken

Sad to hear things are so ugly in Buffalo, but that's sort of what you'd expect when everyone knows they are lame ducks. There's no real authority there

It's so expensive to build a stadium there, that it's easier to sell it to sponsors and the public if it is for 2 teams. Farmers Insurance was going to give LA $2B for naming rights alone on the downtown one, if there were 2 teams

And it was sadly obvious that they would never follow through on the penalties. If a DB thinks he's beat, he'll grab/hold/shove. They were never going to change the behavior like they thought they could

eznark

Banned
I'll put it like this. If y'all play them in the playoffs and Rodgers doesn't test Sherman at all, y'all lost.

Maybe, but if they do I hope they put Nelson on the right side and test them with him and not Boykin.

I liked the game plan of running TE's underneath Boykin but am confused as to why they didn't do the same thing with Cobb. They did a really poor job of getting him the ball in space.

y'all

Crisco

Banned
The passing offense was hardly the Packers problem. The fact that they couldn't stop Lynch , Harvin, and had to keep subbing out their best running back due to bad pass blocking is why they lost.

Also it was just your typical good luck Seahawks, almost all the breaks went their way. Dropped INTs, running into the kicker, they make a one handed catch while the Packers drop one. Seahawks are on a pretty historical streak of good luck, but it will even out eventually.

Yesterday I saw people discussing which team had the best defense of all time. FO ranked every defense from 1950 in terms of DVOA and the 1991 Eagles came out far ahead. That was such a dominating defense, and people fail to remember that the offense that year went through a ton of QBs and could not stay on the field at all. They were constantly either going 3 and out or turning the ball over. If they had played with even a competent offense they would have been even better. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/historical-dvoa-estimates

hahahahahahahaha

Maybe, but if they do I hope they put Nelson on the right side and test them with him and not Boykin.

I liked the game plan of running TE's underneath Boykin but am confused as to why they didn't do the same thing with Cobb. They did a really poor job of getting him the ball in space.

y'all

I don't why but I have a tendency to use that word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom