• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a little bit of the replay of the game last night. Now that the dust has settled, here are some of my thoughts:

-Oline looked significantly better including the run blocking. People somehow forget how bad Seattle's line has been the past two seasons. I just heard the Around the NFL podcast talk about how Seattle starting Wilson worked in part because he started out with a "terrific offensive line." Please. It's been garbage, and if it can be even mediocre this year, that will be a huge improvement.

-Zach Miller had an outstanding game. He made great blocks all over the field and had that one handed diving catch. He works very well in Seattle's offense because of their reliance on the run and their constant need for help in pass protection.

-Bobby Wagner was probably the defensive player of the game. He was the biggest reason GB's run game was stifled, and he is athletic enough to cover (and commit PI) down the field.

-Dline looked like absolute garbage until GB had to abandon the run. This is the biggest negative. It was the biggest reason why GB converted 50% of its third downs. I'm telling you that if they don't generate a better pass rush, their defense is going to regress quite a bit despite last night's performance.

-Maxwell looked good deep but at the expense of the short throws. He has to contest better on third and medium or short.

-As for GB, I wasn't paying too much attention, but what stood out to me is that their linebacker play was absolutely awful. AJ Hawk and Jones (whoever that is) looked slow and confused every play. Mathews played fast and was disruptive, but he did it at the expense of discipline on a few plays. I can see why GB struggles against any sort of option offenses.

I've been saying the same about our d line since training camp. Hopefully Schofield just keep getting better or light switch goes off for someone not name Avril, Bennett, or Mebane.

zychi

Banned
Just got offered a job with an hour commute each way, but pays way better.

If i accept, I'm going to hate the entire world by Friday aren't i?

Not necessarily. Listen to music, podcasts, books on cassette. Waking up earlier sucks but it's a good way to calm down and kinda work out any issues you had at work when going back and forth.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lions are now a 6-point favorite against the Giants. Are the Giants that bad?

The Lions secondary is terrible.

That's exactly what I have right now. I've been doing it for about four years.

I'll be honest, there is some good and some bad. Taking up two hours of your day driving is kind of depressing when you think about all of the other stuff you could be doing, but at the same time it is pretty relaxing and you can use it to fit in stuff like music and podcasts to your schedule (which for me is otherwise pretty busy). Other than that I would just say it can be pretty rough driving home on days when you are really tired, but you get used to it for the most part.

The deal-breaker for me would be an hour commute based more on traffic than distance. I would hate being stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour.

ShaneB

The deal-breaker for me would be an hour commute based more on traffic than distance. I would hate being stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour.

This is really the killer. If you're commute is long because you're stuck in traffic, that will suck the life out of you. If it's just a long drive, that can easily be peaceful and calming before and after work.

My commute is only about 15 minutes, and in heavier traffic about 30-40 minutes, so never too bad.

cajunator

Banned
What's he holding? A fleshlight? A single scoop sugar cone? What's that supposed to be?

the still beating heart of a victim

I'll be honest, there is some good and some bad. Taking up two hours of your day driving is kind of depressing when you think about all of the other stuff you could be doing, but at the same time it is pretty relaxing and you can use it to fit in stuff like music and podcasts to your schedule (which for me is otherwise pretty busy). Other than that I would just say it can be pretty rough driving home on days when you are really tired, but you get used to it for the most part.

I hate stop and go traffic. It can get fairly bad here. At 6 pm when I head to work it can take at least 20 minutes. Going home at 6 am though nobody is on the road and it takes me 10 minutes, including stop lights.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

No, we're just that good.

And as bad as our secondary appears to be it won't matter if Eli has less than 3 seconds to throw the ball every play.

EDIT: Shitty news about Bulaga.

Stupid people are putting way to much stock into the preseason. The Giants will be fine and the Lions will be the Lions again this year just like every other year.

Oh wait, I forgot the thing that sucks the most about an hour commute: paying for gas.

He has played for 18 minutes in the last three seasons. If anyone expected him to play more than a handful of games they were nuts.

No biggie.
You okay with Sherrod the rest of the year? I know you said he looked alright but when he looks bad he looks baaaaaaad.

Bowser

Oh shit, being in NYC and knowing people who commute in from CT and what not, I assumed public transportation commute, not actually driving yourself for an hour each way.

That's a little trickier. Public transport I don't mind - get on the train, pop in your headphones, and just listen in peace without worrying about anything.

eznark

Banned
Oh wait, I forgot the thing that sucks the most about an hour commute: paying for gas.

You okay with Sherrod the rest of the year? I know you said he looked alright but when he looks bad he looks baaaaaaad.

The biggest issue is that it's now three season enders down on the offensive line, so they have zero depth.

Bulaga really wasn't that great so it's not a huge step down, but if anyone else gets hurt you are talking practice squad guys.

Sounds like hell. I hate wine.

Maybe they are going to be drinking this:

31boAemGqgL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Stupid people are putting way to much stock into the preseason. The Giants will be fine and the Lions will be the Lions again this year just like every other year.

Somewhere in between for me. Part of me is like no way this team can go 0-6 again. To have a perfect preseason looking like that is hilarious, baffling, and impressive. I didn't put a lot of stock in the preseason because it's not like you're going to automatically see NEW GIANTS WEST COAST OFFENSE™ at a Hall of Fame game (and I was stunned at genuine calls for Nassib to start) but I'm still worried about that O-line and TEs at the same time. Just going by preseason, Eli and Randle still can't get in line. But then it's like another "Who the hell knows with this team" Giants season.

I don't blame the analysts unanimously picking the Lions (and Philly taking the East) but it's also like a "Don't sleep on this team" feeling for the Giants.

eznark

Banned
Goddamn, thats crazy.

Yeah, this was the same knee. I wouldn't look to other MCL tears, which sometimes only require a month or 6 weeks to come back from, as a guide. It took him a long time to recover from the surgery in 2012, so I'd definitely consider him done for the year.

Only a healthy niners team can stop the seachickens. If only we had drafted erron instead of one-read-kap!

Can you imagine erron with an actual defense and o-line? I felt sorry for him yesterday. Packers are god awful defensive evaluators.

Then again maybe erron should share some blame for not taking a team friendly deal like kap did so the packers could add some pieces to help

jbug617

Banned
NFL Shop got some cheap NFL hoodies on sale for $19.99
http://www.nflshop.com/search/horizontal_text/Category/3088/PriceRange2/$10_to_$20

eznark

Banned
Only a healthy niners team can stop the seachickens. If only we had drafted erron instead of one-read-kap!

Can you imagine erron with an actual defense and o-line? I felt sorry for him yesterday. Packers are god awful defensive evaluators.

Then again maybe erron should share some blame for not taking a team friendly deal like kap did so the packers could add some pieces to help

Then they could've have $20m in cap space instead of just $12!

Jokes on you they added Peppers in the offseason.

linkboy

Rodgers wouldn't be in SF if the 49ers had drafted him. He would have told Nolan to stick it up his ass the minute his rookie contract was up

rando14

I feel like yall are overrating the Hawks here, we could be "taken out" by a number of teams. SF, Saints, Broncos, hell the Rams gave us work last year with their backup QB. Panthers maybe if they haven't regressed like everyone thinks they have. Maybe the Cards if our offense has a really bad game again.

zychi

Banned

It's 25 miles from me currently. If i take the back roads, it's all construction and takes an hour.

If I take the highway, which doubles the miles, it's the same amount of time. I think I'm going to head up there next week, and see how bad it is both ways. I think the highway commute wouldn't be bad until winter time. But it's double my weekly pay, but I'll have to pay for a full tank of gas every week if I take the highway route, and every 1 1/2 weeks if i take the back route.

The funny thing is that my current job is 20 miles each way, and takes ten minutes because it's literally a quick jump onto the highway.

Oh shit, being in NYC and knowing people who commute in from CT and what not, I assumed public transportation commute, not actually driving yourself for an hour each way.

That's a little trickier. Public transport I don't mind - get on the train, pop in your headphones, and just listen in peace without worrying about anything.

I'm doing the opposite, city to suburbs, so I'd have to drive. If I could do into the city, I'd love it. I did it for school for a year and I just slept or did homework on the ride there.

I feel like yall are overrating the Hawks here, we could be "taken out" by a number of teams. SF, Saints, Broncos, hell the Rams gave us work last year with their backup QB. Panthers maybe if they haven't regressed like everyone thinks they have. Maybe the Cards if our offense has a really bad game again.

Oakland will defeat Seattle.

tumblr_mx3mn7Chg31retk9go1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom