• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bwyc6vDIIAAy5D0.jpg

Good night, sweet prince.

I think we'd blow less coverages with a new DC, but the continued unpreparedness for physical play on both sides of the ball is what I judge as an indictment of the head coach above all else.
The ILBs are seriously awful and the scheme, coaching, and talent prevents them from ever improving.

Jones and Hawk are never near the ball when they need to be which is the opposite of Seattle. They're aggressive, physical, and smart. They know how to tackle and aren't afraid to stick their nose in it. This defense plays contain and live to fight another down so maybe their CBs can get picks. When they pound the rock all day because your DL is getting mauled, that plan is woefully ineffective.

It's really frustrating.

JABEE

I agree he makes them division contenders, but I don't agree they are contenders for the first pick w/o him. Pettine will have the defense too good to lost 12+ games. BUF seems to be the clear front runner for the first pick

They weren't division contenders last season and the Josh Gordon had a career season. Now their QB situation is somehow worse.

Bowser

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 1m
No Anthony Davis at practice; looking like Jonathan Martin will start at right tackle against the #Cowboys. Ray Mcdonald on hand. #49ers

Too bad the Cowboys have no pass rush

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The ILBs are seriously awful and the scheme, coaching, and talent prevents them from ever improving.

Jones and Hawk are never near the ball when they need to be which is the opposite of Seattle. They're aggressive, physical, and smart. They know how to tackle and aren't afraid to stick their nose in it. This defense plays contain and live to fight another down so maybe their CBs can get picks. When they pound the rock all day because your DL is getting mauled, that plan is woefully ineffective.

It's really frustrating.

The Steelers have been having similar issues stopping the run because of 11 personnel/dime/nickel packages. Not enough studs up front to keep the linemen off of the ILB's. Not surprising it's affecting Capers as well as LeBeau. I didn't study the game yesterday, heck, I barely watched half of it, so I could be completely off base, here.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Uggh. This ballwashing ESPN is doing on the Seahawks is embarrassing. Everybody is basically writing Green Bay off.

Will you come back and say ESPN was right if the Pack do get stomped?

One of the better teams in the league with a well-known home field advantage is the favorite going into the game? I'm shocked!! /ez

This series of posts is funny in retrospect, after Seattle stomped them last night.

The Steelers have been having similar issues stopping the run because of 11 personnel/dime/nickel packages. Not enough studs up front to keep the linemen off of the ILB's. Not surprising it's affecting Capers as well as LeBeau. I didn't study the game yesterday, heck, I barely watched half of it, so I could be completely off base, here.
No, that's exactly it. Pack played nickel/dime for probably 90% of the game, got ran all over.

ShaneB

I completely forgot that Jake Locker was still a starting quarterback in the NFL. The Titans are such a forgettable team.

The closer it gets to Sunday the more worried I get that the Titans will actually win. =(

Also all this Jets news. I've had Oakland picked as an upset win for a few days now.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Shout outs to James Harrison. One of my favorite non-Lion players. I loved the way he played defense and how he refused to adapt to the new rules hindering defenders. Lots of great plays and memories from Harrison.

Suh will carry the torch from here.

KaYotiX

Banned
[ QUOTE=brentech;128604497]I think if we actually had a defensive coordinator that set the tone, it could change.[/QUOTE]

Been saying this for 2 years

Greg Cosell is doing a new podcast for the Eagles website called Eagle Eye, where he breaks down their opponent each week. Episode 1 The Fighting Gatas is up here. There is tons of text and pics at the link if you dont want to listen to a 30 minute podcast.

Bowser

Greg Cosell is doing a new podcast for the Eagles website called Eagle Eye, where he breaks down their opponent each week. Episode 1 The Fighting Gatas is up here. There is tons of text and pics at the link if you dont want to listen to a 30 minute podcast.

Nice! Look forward to his breakdown before the Eagles/Panthers Monday night tilt.

No, he's not making fun of your height. He's asking if Shorts is playing this Sunday against the Eagles?

jnc.

Gata you are so ridiculous. You live in a city with a football team and you claim to be a football fan, is it really that impossible that maybe you would have some knowledge of a players status?

Watched a little bit of the replay of the game last night. Now that the dust has settled, here are some of my thoughts:

-Oline looked significantly better including the run blocking. People somehow forget how bad Seattle's line has been the past two seasons. I just heard the Around the NFL podcast talk about how Seattle starting Wilson worked in part because he started out with a "terrific offensive line." Please. It's been garbage, and if it can be even mediocre this year, that will be a huge improvement.

-Zach Miller had an outstanding game. He made great blocks all over the field and had that one handed diving catch. He works very well in Seattle's offense because of their reliance on the run and their constant need for help in pass protection.

-Bobby Wagner was probably the defensive player of the game. He was the biggest reason GB's run game was stifled, and he is athletic enough to cover (and commit PI) down the field.

-Dline looked like absolute garbage until GB had to abandon the run. This is the biggest negative. It was the biggest reason why GB converted 50% of its third downs. I'm telling you that if they don't generate a better pass rush, their defense is going to regress quite a bit despite last night's performance.

-Maxwell looked good deep but at the expense of the short throws. He has to contest better on third and medium or short.

-As for GB, I wasn't paying too much attention, but what stood out to me is that their linebacker play was absolutely awful. AJ Hawk and Jones (whoever that is) looked slow and confused every play. Mathews played fast and was disruptive, but he did it at the expense of discipline on a few plays. I can see why GB struggles against any sort of option offenses.

eznark

Banned
No, that's exactly it. Pack played nickel/dime for probably 90% of the game, got ran all over.

The one positive is that the majority of missed tackles (different sources have 15-17) were at the line, which means the line was creating space to make plays and the back 8 (really, Jones...how missed 4 of the 16 on his own) just flat whiffed.

Also, the secondary tackled really well outside of Dix's miss and one or two other plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom