• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chiefs played against 2 good teams last year (Denver twice and Indy). Alex Smith was a pedestrian game manager in all three games and in all three games the Chiefs lost by two scores or more.

He was legit as fuck in that playoff game though, so I guess that might give you hope. That game was so bizarre though, don't know that I am comfortable taking much away from it.

Yeah the Watt deal was sub-optimal for him, as far as I am concerned. Not the dollars but the length. It hurts his ability to have another huge payday. I probably would've gone with a 4 year max. Agent wants to get paid though.

The Watt led Texans went 2-14 last year.

jakncoke

Banned
It's actually about 31 million guaranteed at signing. A little over 5 million more than Mario Williams but Williams makes more in the first three years whereas the rest of Watts money doesn't kick in until 2016. So the contract probably isn't likely going to hit the cap in a major way until then.

For a player of his caliber, it looks like a pretty solid deal for the Texans.

Just in time for the cap to hit the rumored 155-160

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Somebody at MMQB predicted Andre Johnson would be receiving yards leader this year.

OK.

They should've started him at QB

Rich coming from a guy who used to say Roethlisberger didn't get carried.

He didn't...until XL. Not to mention Ben's rep has always been a QB that was propped up by his defense while Peyton Manning's only Super Bowl win is for that very reason.

He didn't...until XL. Not to mention Ben's rep has always been a QB that was propped up by his defense while Peyton Manning's only Super Bowl win is for that very reason.

You never hear anyone say Eli's first SB shouldnt count since the defense was so good that year. No matter how good the defense is the offense still has to make some plays.

Why am I seeing $51m?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/02/30-87-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing-for-watt/

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Watt will receive $30.87 million fully guaranteed at signing. The source says that the balance converts at the beginning of the 2016 league year.

Which means that, after two more seasons, $51.876 million will be fully guaranteed for Watt. That’s a far better structure than the Colin Kaepernick deal, which won’t see the injury-only guarantees fully flip for five years.

The structure beyond 2016 still becomes important, because at some point the Texans may have to choose between Watt and linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. The bigger Watt’s cash and cap numbers after Clowney finishes his third season, the less the Texans will have to pay both of them.

Likely announced with the big numbers off the bat as usual.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
AFC

E - Patriots - Once again, the probability of all the head coaches of all the other teams in the division being fired is higher than them being retained

N - Bengals, Steelers (W) - Cincinnati has the most complete team.

S - Colts - One of these teams has an established, franchise qb.

W - Broncos, Chargers (W) - Will be a tough division with all teams being improved.

NFC

E - Eagles - By default. How the mighty have gone to suck.

N - Packers, Bears (W) - The highest scoring division.

S - Buccaneers - This one is for snes!

W - Seahawks, Cardinals (W) - The 9er's dig too big of a hole early in the year with so many suspensions.

SB - Pitt 34, Phi 2

TheFatOne

You never hear anyone say Eli's first SB shouldnt count since the defense was so good that year. No matter how good the defense is the offense still has to make some plays.

That's true the offense has to make some plays, and it was the running game that won them that super bowl. Manning was dogshit in the super bowl he won.

Fox318

AFC

E - Patriots - Once again, the probability of all the head coaches of all the other teams in the division being fired is higher than them being retained

N - Bengals, Steelers (W) - Cincinnati has the most complete team.

S - Colts - One of these teams has an established, franchise qb.

W - Broncos, Chargers (W) - Will be a tough division with all teams being improved.

NFC

E - Eagles - By default. How the mighty have gone to suck.

N - Packers, Bears (W) - The highest scoring division.

S - Buccaneers - This one is for snes!

W - Seahawks, Cardinals (W) - The 9er's dig too big of a hole early in the year with so many suspensions.

SB - Pitt 34, Phi 2

The chokers?

Really

The G Men beat an 18-0 Patriots team. The legend behind that win is so prominent that people don't even talk about Eli.

That's true the offense has to make some plays, and it was the running game that won them that super bowl. Manning was dogshit in the super bowl he won.

25/38 250 yards 1 TD 1 int, doesnt seem that terrible against a really good Bears defense in the rain. Obviously it isnt anywhere near normal Manning numbers though.

TheFatOne

25/38 250 yards 1 TD 1 int, doesnt seem that terrible against a really good Bears defense in the rain. Obviously it isnt anywhere near normal Manning numbers though.

He was garbage if my memory is correct. It's obviously forever since I watched that game, but that running game carried his ass. D.Rhodes 21 car 113 yards, and J.Addai 19 car 77 yards. They were running for nearly five yards every attempt. That was as fraudulent as super bowl mvps come. He was garbage.

eznark

Banned

He has pretty much been carried in 80% of his post-season games. In many of them he was a legit liability. In a couple he was tremendous. In most he was mediocre.

BigAT

Really tired of NFL reporters calling non-guaranteed money guaranteed.

Pretty much. It was hard enough trying to sort through the realities of a contract before, but it's near impossible now that everyone involved in the process seemed to suddenly decide that it is acceptable to refer to massive amounts of non-guaranteed money as "guaranteed".

ShaneB

Most fans wouldnt want small hands either though. I agree with Darkest, small hands is the worst type of QB to have. Good enough to win you games in the regular season, so your team never bottoms out and actually rebuilds, but bad enough that he cant win you a SB. It is like being stuck in NFL purgatory.

This mentality never makes any sense to me. If he's good enough to win games, he's good enough to win games. The idea that he can't win a super bowl doesn't change until he does actually win one. By that logic I never want to have any QB unless he's won a Super Bowl. Nick Foles is trash by that logic too until he actually wins a playoff game. :p

And that mentality is just a defeatist attitude to have. You're implying why care about a team unless it's either bottoming out, or a favourite to win a SB.

Meh. I'm having a pissy day at work, so maybe I'm just fucking cranky. Working 9 days in a row, with 3 more to go until the weekend is driving me a little mad.

Tom Penny

He wasn't carried 80% of the time but they always protected Ben with the running game. Look at his pass attempts compared to Manning and Brady. The heavily relied on the run and never wanted him to throw 30+ passes because that meant bad things for the Steelers.

Season predictions:

NFCN : GB
NFCS: NO, CAR (WC)
NFCE: PHI, NYG (WC)
NFCW: SEA

AFCN: CIN, PIT (WC)
AFCS: IND
AFCE: MIA
AFCW: DEN, SD (WC)

Playoffs NFC:
Wildcard Round:
PHI over NYG
GB over CAR

Divisional Round:
SEA over PHI
NO over GB

Championship Round:
SEA over NO

Playoffs AFC:
Wildcard Round:
MIA over PIT
SD over CIN

Divisional Round:
IND over MIA
DEN over SD

Championship Round:
IND over DEN

Super Bowl:
SEA over IND

By that logic I never want to have any QB unless he's won a Super Bowl. Nick Foles is trash by that logic too until he actually wins a playoff game. :p
Right or wrong, QB's are measured by wins and yes - winning big games in the playoffs, etc. Regular season is what it is, a gateway to the tournament and while its all well and good to celebrate stats and what not - if you're QB consistently fails in the playoffs, then he's going to be taken to task for it.

Matt Ryan dealt with it for years. Andy Dalton is feeling it after several failures in the playoffs. If Nick Foles is put into a position where he's in the playoffs for a few years and can't win - he's going to deal with the same thing.

eznark

Banned
He wasn't carried 80% of the time but they always protected Ben with the running game. Look at his pass attempts compared to Manning and Brady. The heavily relied on the run and never wanted him to throw 30+ passes because that meant bad things for the Steelers.

Yeah, that was a bit of hyperbole. He was carried in 8 of the 14 games, so about 60%.

He was legit great in 5 games.

So he was only mediocre in 1. I was actually kind of far off in the middling guess.

If you count middling as getting carried (which I do because this is the internet which means things are binary) then he was carried in 65% of his playoff appearances.

This mentality never makes any sense to me. If he's good enough to win games, he's good enough to win games. The idea that he can't win a super bowl doesn't change until he does actually win one. By that logic I never want to have any QB unless he's won a Super Bowl. Nick Foles is trash by that logic too until he actually wins a playoff game. :p

And that mentality is just a defeatist attitude to have. You're implying why care about a team unless it's either bottoming out, or a favourite to win a SB.

Meh. I'm having a pissy day at work, so maybe I'm just fucking cranky. Working 9 days in a row, with 3 more to go until the weekend is driving me a little mad.
I'm not saying it's literally impossible for Smith to win a SB. Crazier things have happened. I'm just saying I don't think he's the kind of guy that increases your chances enough to justify being happy about locking him up for years to come. In the case of Smith he is just too limited physically.

It doesn't have much to do with whether or not a guy has won a SB, as I'd gladly pay a guy like Andrew Luck whatever it takes to keep him on my team.

It's not a defeatist attitude, it's a realistic one. The Chiefs have a slim chance of winning a SB with Alex Smith, in my opinion. If you disagree with my opinion that's cool but I'm just calling it like I see it.

I agree. I dont get people getting excited about Foles at all. Hell even winning playoff games isnt enough. Mcnabb won a ton of playoff games but no one would have wanted him to be their franchises QB. I also didnt mean to imply that you still shouldnt root for your team. I have rooted for plenty of Eagles teams that I knew had no chance to win that season.

Time to start putting some air in those VikeBike tires. Clear the front basket and get them Jeff George cards in the spokes!

7lPnwhH.jpg

ShaneB

Right or wrong, QB's are measured by wins and yes - winning big games in the playoffs, etc. Regular season is what it is, a gateway to the tournament and while its all well and good to celebrate stats and what not - if you're QB consistently fails in the playoffs, then he's going to be taken to task for it.

Matt Ryan dealt with it for years. Andy Dalton is feeling it after several failures in the playoffs. If Nick Foles is put into a position where he's in the playoffs for a few years and can't win - he's going to deal with the same thing.

Yes I understand that. I'm just fine with Alex Smith as a QB for the Chiefs. He's a solid QB who gives the Chiefs a chance to win every game, the issues being with what he's surrounded with. Which is the argument when you look at QB's that have won the Super Bowl that aren't top tier, they have great personnel around them. If a QB gives you no chance to win, that's an issue, but if the QB DOES give you a chance to win, that's something you don't have to worry about.

Also, in regards to predictions, I meant to share this neat little tool, can predict every game, for each week, coming to seeing what the records play out and all that good stuff.

http://raylehnhoff.github.io/nflschedulepicker/

It's not a defeatist attitude, it's a realistic one. The Chiefs have a slim chance of winning a SB with Alex Smith, in my opinion. If you disagree with my opinion that's cool but I'm just calling it like I see it.

The Chiefs have a slim chance of winning because of everything around Alex Smith.

I agree. I dont get people getting excited about Foles at all. Hell even winning playoff games isnt enough. Mcnabb won a ton of playoff games but no one would have wanted him to be their franchises QB. I also didnt mean to imply that you still shouldnt root for your team. I have rooted for plenty of Eagles teams that I knew had no chance to win that season.

I'm just saying if you feel like your QB gives you a chance to win, that's something to build on and at least have stability to work around. It might not be the BEST chance to win, but how rare are those QBs, and apparently they don't show up until you win a SB.

Wow. Surprised to see you picking the Eagles to win their division and a playoff game, given how down you are on Foles, Chip and the team in general.

I am down on them because I feel like they had a real chance to improve their chances this year and instead chose to make some stupid point about Chip wanting guys that will say yes sir to him. I also feel like the 31st ranked defense should have changed at least more then 1 starter. 9ers had a top 5 defense and they will have 7 new starters. I think the Eagles got complacent in a lot of ways, and figured that their offense is good enough to win a SB even though it isnt. Foles could have a great season this year and show that he is infact an elite QB, I dont think he is but I could definitely be wrong. I think they win the division because it is a bit weak and I dont see the Eagles taking a step back, they are more treading water.

My first class is tomorrow :'(

Also, love how Yankee has the Pats missing the playoffs completely. Stay salty.

I really dont think it is being salty. At some point they have to miss the playoffs unless you think they just have a divine right to get in every year forever. Brady is 37 years old. Lots of QBs have had they play decline suddenly as they got up in age. Also the offense looked downright bad last year when Gronk was out and his health has to be a cause for concern. Their OL is in a state of flux and we will have to see how that plays out. They are going to rely on their defense a lot this year and I am just not sure how that will work out. So you can spin it anyway you want but I dont think it would be that crazy for them to miss this year.

My predictions:

AFC East: New England - 1
AFC North: Cincinnati - 4, Pittsburgh - 5 (WC)
AFC South: Indianapolis - 2
AFC West: Denver - 3, San Diego - 6 (WC)

NFC East: Philadelphia - 4
NFC North: Green Bay - 3, Minnesota - 5 (WC)
NFC South: New Orleans - 2
NFC West: Seattle - 1, Arizona - 6 (WC)

Super Bowl: Seattle over Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom