• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
Last year they said that they were working to have yahoo and ESPN included this year.

As someone who dealt with embedding the yahoo fantasy stuff in a website four years ago, it is not that much work, they use OAuth which is pretty standard these days. I can't speak for the actual app work on XB1 though.

As someone who dealt with embedding the yahoo fantasy stuff in a website four years ago, it is not that much work, they use OAuth which is pretty standard these days. I can't speak for the actual app work on XB1 though.

I dont know if maybe they need something from yahoo to make it work. There is no yahoo fantasy app on WP because yahoo doesnt want there to be one.

Greg

Staying home from work again today!

Sadly it's only because I've had a migraine from hell since Sunday night and puked my brains out last night. Someone kill me, please.
I was going to send you a metal song after I read the first line... and then I read the second line

feel better!

Drakeon

Everyone predicting the Niners to miss the playoffs, I love it! I love that we're the underdog again. We'll do just fine until we get Aldon, Bowman and Dorsey back and then we'll heat up at the exact right time. Hoping Seattle catches some bad luck so we still have a shot at the Division, because I don't really want to go through Seattle again. Although after last year, I'm a believer that we can definitely do it. First time we actually played like it mattered in Seattle (since 2011).

NFL App update on XB1 just got announced.

CBS, NFL.com and ESPN (through the ESPN app) Fantasy Football is supported
Still does all the stats and highlights like last year.
NFL Sunday Ticket Max support
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/ent-nfl-on-xbox-one-2014

Thanks. Some much needed updates. Last year was good but was pretty much pointless with just NFL.com FF. Just need Yahoo and I'm set. Having it work side by side with Sunday Ticket Max via one app means snapping that info will be much more seamless.

Crisco

Banned
Week 1 Picks
GB @ SEA - Rodgers is the best player in football today, and he starts his MVP campaign off strong
NO @ ATL - Atlanta out to prove they aren't shit this year, NO is it's usual self on the road
CIN @ BAL - too much defense from the Bengals, too much offense from Gio
BUF @ CHI - the Bears are bad, but the Bills are terribad
WAS @ HOU - RGIII not leaving this game on a stretcher would be a win for the 'skins
TEN @ KC - Alex Smith is gonna prove he deserved that contract
NE @ MIA - lol
OAK @ NYJ - two shit teams, go with the one playing at home
JAX @ PHI - I don't think Philly is that good, nor will the Jags be that bad, but this outcome won't be in doubt
CLE @ PIT - Browns are this year's best candidate for 0-16
MIN @ STL - Gonna be hard to recover from losing Bradford and the Vikings will be better
SF @ DAL - 49ers are going to struggle out of the gate with all the suspensions, although this is a pretty weak knee'd pick as I have no faith in the Cowboys
CAR @ TB - the Bucs will be better, but the Panthers are already there
IND @ DEN - coin flip game IMO, going with the home team
NYG @ DET - as a general rule, I never pick the Lions, but the Giants and Eli have to prove me they aren't cellar dwellers
SD @ ARI - cuz Philip Rivers is ma DAWG

Cxv9ExY.gif

As for the Panthers season predictions, I think 10-6 with a wild card berth is pretty realistic. The offensive line is a huge wildcard, and not in a good way, but a mobile quarterback combined with a healthy JStew will mitigate the risk there. Secondary is also a concern, but overall the defense will be as good or better than last year, only a handful of QBs will be able to exploit any perceived weakness on the backend.

The offense will surprise most people who haven't been paying attention. Including the tight ends, I wholeheartedly believe this is the best group Cam has had. Look for 4000+ passing yards out of him this year, with less overall yards on the ground but still 5+ rushing touchdowns. Will make a strong case for MVP himself if Byron Bell doesn't get him killed.

We'll know after 4-5 games. I'm not expecting anything from him. That being said I really like how Caldwell challenged him and made him earn a spot. That NEVER happened under Schwartz.

Yeah I agree with this 100%. He was the one dude I worried about the most on D cause he's was so random last year.

Dragon

Banned
I dont know if maybe they need something from yahoo to make it work. There is no yahoo fantasy app on WP because yahoo doesnt want there to be one.

You'd think Yahoo! would want their brand embedded in an app like that with Microsoft giving it tons of advertising.

Talon

You never hear anyone say Eli's first SB shouldnt count since the defense was so good that year. No matter how good the defense is the offense still has to make some plays.
That defense was good, but it wasn't anywhere near as dominant like that 2006 Bears D.

17th in Points Allowed
9th in Yards/Play (5, Bucs/Steelers/Colts were #1 with 4.6)
11th in Passing (lol, who cares)
8th in Rushing (8th in Y/RA)
1st in Sacks
20th in INT
20th in Fumbles Recovered

They really turned it on in the post season. Remember, they limped into the playoffs.

That Superbowl was just a matchup nightmare with the Giants' defensive line.

bionic77

Who are most people picking in GB-Seattle?

Seattle was vulnerable against the run last year. I don't think anyone was able to pass on them consistently. But that was last year. Be interesting to see if their pass D is still as good.

Also interesting to see how GB attacks it. One of the worst things about winning the SB is there are a ton of evil defensive and offensive coordinators who spend the whole summer figuring out the weaknesses of the champs. And you usually see one of them pick up something in the first few weeks that everyone else latches on to.

I have no idea who to pick in this game for my office pick em. Leaning towards Seattle because the champ usually wins this game at home.

Seanspeed

Banned
1. LOL. They won't win 13 this year. But 8 might be enough to run away with that division unless Miami suddenly gets good.
2. Actually that is exactly how old age works in sports. Or do you think he is going to throw 60+ TDs a sesason for the next 20 years? Do you remember how Kobe went from MVP candidate one year to being done the next? After 20 years of being great.?
Peyton doesn't have to do what Kobe does. He isn't in a position where a bit of physical decline is going to kill him. So long as his mind is there and his arm is reasonably strong, he's still gonna be a step above most every other QB. He might not be *quite* as good as last year, but even a small step back still puts him in top 5 QB territory no question.

As for Pats, there is really no reason they couldn't win 12 or 13 games this year.

Just a bunch of wishful thinking on your part, man.

ShaneB

As a newcomer to Fantasy Football, why is Yahoo! the big cheese? With the two drafts I've done, Yahoo has felt like jank compared to NFL.com.

eznark

Banned

Seattle was vulnerable against the run last year. I don't think anyone was able to pass on them consistently. But that was last year. Be interesting to see if their pass D is still as good.

Also interesting to see how GB attacks it. One of the worst things about winning the SB is there are a ton of evil defensive and offensive coordinators who spend the whole summer figuring out the weaknesses of the champs. And you usually see one of them pick up something in the first few weeks that everyone else latches on to.

I have no idea who to pick in this game for my office pick em. Leaning towards Seattle because the champ usually wins this game at home.

Capers spent the entire off season whittling a new toupee.

Talon

It's hard not to pick Seattle at home, plus that will be as juiced a crowd as you can imagine.
As a newcomer to Fantasy Football, why is Yahoo! the big cheese? With the two drafts I've done, Yahoo has felt like jank compared to NFL.com.
Legacy. It's been around for 14 or so years, where as NFL came later to the game. People are loath to move their leagues over to new platforms.

But, you're right, the drafting flash bullshit has been janky as shit this year. Had a lot of disconnecting issues for multiple people.

Deal is tough to swallow though.
Why is that, exactly?

They have no QB eating up 20 million in cap space right now and if they were to draft a QB in the next year or two and he works out for them, it's going to be minimum of 3-4 years before they have to to extend him anyways. There's absolutely nothing cap prohibitive about deal at the moment and if indeed the cap continues to go up in the coming years, its even less of an issue.

Drakeon

Week 1 Picks
GB @ SEA - Seattle is at home. Hope I'm wrong! Do us a favor Wisconsin.
NO @ ATL - Saints are beastly, but the Falcons could have their mojo back. Hard to tell when its week 1. Could be a good game.
CIN @ BAL - Expect a close game, but its in Baltimore and they've got a better offense this year.
BUF @ CHI - EJ Manuel just might be the worst starting QB in the league. That or whoever Houston is starting.
WAS @ HOU - Both teams are bad, Houston's defense is going to win this.
TEN @ KC - I have no idea what to expect from Tennessee, but I expect KC to play well at home, so I'm going with them.
NE @ MIA - I'd love nothing more than to see a Patriots loss, but I can't pick against them with a healthy Gronk.
OAK @ NYJ - Derek Carr is likely a far better choice than Schaub, but I still expect them to lose on the road with a rookie against a Rex Ryan defense.
JAX @ PHI - I expect Jacksonville to be pretty competitive with the additions they made this offseason, but ultimately Philly is the better team.
CLE @ PIT - I'd love to be wrong, I always kinda root for Cleveland because they've been awful forever and none of their fans (on here) are obnoxious.
MIN @ STL - Without Bradford, I expect the offense to sputter. Minney has looked pretty good this preseason, I expect good things from them.
SF @ DAL - Both teams have defensive players on suspension. I expect this to be a high scoring game with SF winning by just a little, 35-28 or so.
CAR @ TB - Cam's banged up, has no previous chemistry with any receiver on the team. I expect it to be a low scoring game with TB narrowly winning.
IND @ DEN - Denver's got something to prove after being just utterly embarrassed in the Super Bowl. With that said, I could see Indy pulling an upset, they know how to play good teams (won in Seattle and in SF last year, did they beat Denver too?)
NYG @ DET - The Giants offense has looked just woeful. I'll go with Detroit, but I'm not super confident in the pick.
SD @ ARI - Rivers magic! I also expect the Darnell Dockett injury and the Darryl Washington suspension to weaken the Cardinals stout defense a little bit.

Striker

That Superbowl was just a matchup nightmare with the Giants' defensive line.
Yeah the 2007 defense had some problems (secondary, OLB's), but the DL with Strahan, Osi, Robbins, etc. were excellent.

The 2011 defense was shit-tier for 90% of the season and hadn't Romo overthrown Miles Austin they might not have even made it in. They turned it on late with the wins over the Jets and Cowboys (2x). Were still at least competitive against the top NFC teams that year (Niners, Packers). That whole season was Eli, the WR's, and JPP.

jakncoke

Banned
Indeed. He is a great player, no denying that.

Deal is tough to swallow though. If the team has a better record this year which I am sure they will, it'll be because of the new staff & players they brought in.

Gotta give the money to someone, with the current cap at 133 and the Bucs rule of making teams spend 85% to reach the floor and cap increase to perhaps as high as 160. Why wouldnt you give a top defensive player like Watt this type of contract.

Depends on how much the refs actually enforce the newly emphasized rules. But pick the home team dood.

Rodgers will be eaten alive with this O Line and a new center. McCarthy has said that the gameplan against Seattle is expansive. What I hope he actually means is he'll just run it with Lacy all day and pray Rodgers survives the game and doesn't get sacked more than 3 times.

manfestival

Pickems or survival? I took the Bears in survival because I don't believe the bills offense scores anything. Unless Orton starts, then I'll admit I could be fucked.

for survival I went with the eagles cause I dont want to be counted out too soon

ShaneB

Legacy. It's been around for 14 or so years, where as NFL came later to the game. People are loath to move their leagues over to new platforms.

But, you're right, the drafting flash bullshit has been janky as shit this year. Had a lot of disconnecting issues for multiple people.

Figured this was pretty much the reason. With all the FF options, I suppose most people just stick with what they have been using for ages, especially with keeper leagues and whatnot too.

Wish those NFL Apps and whatnot would come to Maddenstation 4. Oh well.

Tom Penny

Seattle because they are home. I'm actually leaning toward GB to rep the NFC in the SB though if they get a slightly above average D this millennium.

eznark

Banned
Check out a really idiotic sentence:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Sorry, to be more clear, that other $21M in guarantees for Watt kicks in at the start of the 2016 League Year, so its actually that March

So the guarantee is contingent on something! Guarantee no longer has meaning!

Trey

Bills roster is talented but you go as the QB goes, as they say. And while I'm not as down as LJ on Manuel, I still don't think he has what it takes to bring this roster to the playoffs.

Everyone predicting the Niners to miss the playoffs

who?

You'd think Yahoo! would want their brand embedded in an app like that with Microsoft giving it tons of advertising.

Especially with universal apps now that are on both phones and tablets. It definitely seems like yahoo is cutting off their nose to spite their face a bit. Hopefully they will come out with a WP app at some point and also get in on the XB1 app.

overcast

GB @ SEA
NO @ ATL
CIN @ BAL
BUF @ CHI
WAS @ HOU
TEN @ KC
NE @ MIA
OAK @ NYJ
JAX @ PHI
CLE @ PIT
MIN @ STL - I think we can win against the Vikes.. Guess we'll see what Hill's got..
SF @ DAL
CAR @ TB - Upset?
IND @ DEN - Great game.
NYG @ DET
SD @ ARI - Close as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom