• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Thoughts on the Giants before the season starts:

I can't remember the last time I went into the season with so much dread. For as much of a disaster as last season was, I don't think any of us really expected it prior to the season. There were a lot of question marks, certainly, and no one was expecting a Super Bowl or anything, but the nightmare that was the 2013 season still came as a shock.

So that's why it is really distressing that I already see a lot of the problems that plagued last year's team. The offense has really been dreadful basically any time they have stepped on the field. The offensive line already has injury problems and has been pretty bad so far. Geoff Schwartz, brought in as a big free agent signing to help on the line, might start the season on short-term IR. The wide receivers have really struggled so far with the exception of Cruz. Reuben Randle looks lost and first round pick Odell Beckham hasn't seen a single snap during preseason due to injury. The Giants have three tight ends that likely wouldn't even make most other NFL rosters, let alone start for any other team. Worst of all, Eli Manning might have been completely broken by last season. He's looked really shaky in the pocket lately, even at times when there isn't much pressure. The running backs have looked solid so far, but it won't matter much if the O-line is awful and the Giants have no passing game.

The Giants' defense has been relatively good (certainly when compared to the offense) for the most part, with the exception of the Jets preseason game. JPP looks to be legitimately healthy for the first time in a while and there is a ton of talent in the secondary now. If Beason can stay on the field for even parts of this season, the linebacking corps will likely be more talented than it has been in recent memory. Their defense should certainly keep them in games, but I don't think they are dominant enough to win by themselves.

Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic. Maybe the offense is still adapting to McAdoo's new system and everything will click into place when the season gets started. But for me, I still see way too many of the problems that caused 2013 to be a disaster. On the plus side, I think the NFC East will largely be awful, so maybe the Giants will be able to work through their issues, hang around the division, and sneak a playoff spot.

squicken

A social media ban? Get the fuck out of here.

Is that even a thing?

Irsay loves being on Twitter during the season. People act like it is nothing but I get the sense he is like Jerry: He loves being an owner, and being away from the team really is punishment. Not that I am sympathetic or don't think his fine should have been higher. Just that this is more than a slap on the wrist

I think Magary finished this year's Why Your Team Sucks today with the Patriots.

Such is Belichick's master manipulation of the media that he can make ANY move and have people searching for the hidden brilliance behind it. He can never just do something DUMB. There must be a subtle genius to trading away Logan Mankins for Tim Wright and a draft pick.

MRSA

Banned
My god you are a rampaging idiot. Hopefully someone will come along and defend poor chan.

I bet if chan could select someone to defend him, he'd select the biggest fattest guy in NFLGAF, I bet that means he'd probably pick none other than kas who models to be even fatter than Stafford.

I bet if chan could select someone to defend him, he'd select the biggest fattest guy in NFLGAF, I bet that means he'd probably pick none other than kas who models to be even fatter than Stafford.

Now I want to read a long kas post about how great chan is.

Bread

Banned
Chan is a good friend of mine and I don't think he'd appreciate being talked about while he isn't here.

Talon

So how salty is Tom that he took a paycut in order to keep vets on the team, and they let Logan off loose like that.

No reason to be altruistic. Get maximum contract value.

So how salty is Tom that he took a paycut in order to keep vets on the team, and they let Logan off loose like that.

No reason to be altruistic. Get maximum contract value.

The other day Florio said Brady front loading his contract was more about him wanting to keep the cap hit in later years down. He said that Brady is really worried that Bill might cut him at some point and that it would tarnish his legacy.

No surprises here

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 2m
#Panthers depth chart lists Trai Turner as starting RG, Chase Blackburn No. 1 at OLB and Philly Brown as top punt and kick returner.

And fans of drunk Irsay tweets fret not

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 6m
Oh, so music tweets are allowed..RT @SandoESPN: The social media ban for Jim Irsay covers expressions "regarding any team or league matters"

MRSA

Banned
Yes, Cambodia is known for their bad internet. Still can't believe he flew out there to marry a princess and start a pop band.

Berenice-Marlohe-Heinekens-Skyfall2.jpg

She's Cambodian and the second hottest bond girl next to Eva Green. 3rd place goes to Halle Berry.

I have no idea what to think about the Steelers going into week 1. Tomlin gave no fucks about preseason, and ran things he wanted to see on tape rather than try to win. They put the 4:3 Nickel out there and it got gashed than a motherfucker on the run (though they did run a big Nickel with 4 DT/E that was much more successful). Some players on defense looked amazing, others finished. It's all over the place.

The offense was no clearer. 16 touchdowns walked out the door with Sanders and Cotchery. AB is AB, but the second receiver is muddy. Wheaton looks like he has talent, but it definitely wasn't shown consistently. I shit on Sanders a lot, but we knew what he was. Lance Moore did nothing but help explain why the Saints run game was shit for so many years.

Then there's Ben. I reiterate that it was Ben that fucked our playoff chances last year by refusing to fall in line until we were in the hole 0-4 on the season. He's finally bought in, so I expect big things from this offense, but like the rest I saw zero consistency. Preseason means nothing, but it's nice to know it's possible.

This team has talent, but it remains to be seen how it is applied. Fortunately the division is weak this year.

Thoughts on the Giants before the season starts:

I can't remember the last time I went into the season with so much dread. For as much of a disaster as last season was, I don't think any of us really expected it prior to the season. There were a lot of question marks, certainly, and no one was expecting a Super Bowl or anything, but the nightmare that was the 2013 season still came as a shock.

So that's why it is really distressing that I already see a lot of the problems that plagued last year's team. The offense has really been dreadful basically any time they have stepped on the field. The offensive line already has injury problems and has been pretty bad so far. Geoff Schwartz, brought in as a big free agent signing to help on the line, might start the season on short-term IR. The wide receivers have really struggled so far with the exception of Cruz. Reuben Randle looks lost and first round pick Odell Beckham hasn't seen a single snap during preseason due to injury. The Giants have three tight ends that likely wouldn't even make most other NFL rosters, let alone start for any other team. Worst of all, Eli Manning might have been completely broken by last season. He's looked really shaky in the pocket lately, even at times when there isn't much pressure. The running backs have looked solid so far, but it won't matter much if the O-line is awful and the Giants have no passing game.

The Giants' defense has been relatively good (certainly when compared to the offense) for the most part, with the exception of the Jets preseason game. JPP looks to be legitimately healthy for the first time in a while and there is a ton of talent in the secondary now. If Beason can stay on the field for even parts of this season, the linebacking corps will likely be more talented than it has been in recent memory. Their defense should certainly keep them in games, but I don't think they are dominant enough to win by themselves.

Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic. Maybe the offense is still adapting to McAdoo's new system and everything will click into place when the season gets started. But for me, I still see way too many of the problems that caused 2013 to be a disaster. On the plus side, I think the NFC East will largely be awful, so maybe the Giants will be able to work through their issues, hang around the division, and sneak a playoff spot.
Good summary and I feel the same. Not much to feel positive about on the offensive side of the ball but hopefully the defense can carry them as they work their way through the new offense.

I should add that the Giants have never been a overly good preseason team in so far as production on the field is concerned. I'm hoping that continues to be the case and the offense was just trolling us all summer long.:(

eznark

Banned
Sure he did. He was making over $15m a year and this year he will only make $13m. Any way you want to slice that it is a cut, plus the other top QBs are getting over $18m. He is getting considerably less.

They gave him a $10.8m signing bonus when he restructured. He didn't lose any money.

They gave him a $10.8m signing bonus when he restructured. He didn't lose any money.

That is true. In a sense though he could have gotten a deal closer to $20m a year so he did leave a lot of money on the table, but you are correct he did get all the money he was originally going to get.

MRSA

Banned
Sure he did. He was making over $15m a year and this year he will only make $13m. Any way you want to slice that it is a cut, plus the other top QBs are getting over $18m. He is getting considerably less.

NFL players don't take pay cuts, they only extend their payment plans. Nobody is dumb enough to take a pay cut, look at Mankins. Refused a pay cut and is still getting paid by the Pats while getting paid by the Bucs. Same goes for Neckbeard, got 5 million from the Cowboys and another 5 million from the Bills.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I have no idea what to think about the Steelers going into week 1. Tomlin gave no fucks about preseason, and ran things he wanted to see on tape rather than try to win. They put the 4:3 Nickel out there and it got gashed than a motherfucker on the run (though they did run a big Nickel with 4 DT/E that was much more successful). Some players on defense looked amazing, others finished. It's all over the place.

The offense was no clearer. 16 touchdowns walked out the door with Sanders and Cotchery. AB is AB, but the second receiver is muddy. Wheaton looks like he has talent, but it definitely wasn't shown consistently. I shit on Sanders a lot, but we knew what he was. Lance Moore did nothing but help explain why the Saints run game was shit for so many years.

Then there's Ben. I reiterate that it was Ben that fucked our playoff chances last year by refusing to fall in line until we were in the hole 0-4 on the season. He's finally bought in, so I expect big things from this offense, but like the rest I saw zero consistency. Preseason means nothing, but it's nice to know it's possible.

This team has talent, but it remains to be seen how it is applied. Fortunately the division is weak this year.

I actually think that on offense, the Steelers will be able to run the ball. So that's a plus. Otherwise, I agree completely. If they get off to another slow start, I really want to see some youth out there in the form of McCullers and Tuitt. Hell, I want TonDMC instead of McClendon, right now.

eznark

Banned
That is true. In a sense though he could have gotten a deal closer to $20m a year so he did leave a lot of money on the table, but you are correct he did get all the money he was originally going to get.

Two different issues. He restructured in 2012. He signed an extension in 2013.

Hunter S.

To back up mine and Seanspeeds earlier points, that we should not doubt the scientific law, " The Patiots make it the easy Way."

yankeehaters posted power rankings.

21. JETS
22. Miami
29. caveman's

We cannot deny great truths. Let the knowledge of Tebow be known throughout the land!¡!

eznark

Banned
Jabee, explain to me what is going on in that games journalism thread. It used to be a great thread where people shit on polygon. Now it's ..... something else.

Jabee, explain to me what is going on in that games journalism thread. It used to be a great thread where people shit on polygon. Now it's ..... something else.

Speaking of games journalism did you guys see that Activision/Bungie have decided to send out review copies of Destiny late so that reviews will not be out at launch? Interesting way to embargo review scores.

Tamanon

Banned
Speaking of games journalism did you guys see that Activision/Bungie have decided to send out review copies of Destiny late so that reviews will not be out at launch? Interesting way to embargo review scores.

No big deal with a big alpha and beta test.

Not sure I follow? I would think a lot of the reviews will focus on the amount of content, since the alpha and beta were both really limited in those regards.
The game is going to sell by the truckload regardless is his point. Folks have already gotten their taste of the experience and I doubt the game is going to review poorly to the point where it dissuades enough people to stop it from easily being the best selling new IP of the year.

JABEE

People have been posting videos from 4Chan that leap to unsubstantiated conclusions about these controversies involving Zoe Quinn and other friends of indie makers in the press.

There is now a group of trolls harassing indie darlings and outspoken press on Twitter about problems in the games press.

These trolls are distracting from people asking some real questions about the press, and now the trolls and those that send hate messages are being used as strawmen for articles like this from Leigh Alexander to wave away any journalistic responsibility they have.

There are now a bunch of press jumping in to either defend themselves or disagree with Leigh Alexander's article. The hate continues from both sides. Also, Adam Baldwin was involved in this thing doing something. It's hard to keep track of all this shit.

That's my best effort at summarizing this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom