• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
I'm not gonna forever crucify a guy for one bad moment. He has no history of this as far as we can tell (with a celeb, other folks would have been coming out of the woodwork). I'm not into judging people on their worst moments and it's not like he fucking killed someone.

As always, in situations like these, some people have a problem with empathy.

I don't know what I'm more alarmed by: the fact that bloggers at Deadspin have jobs and are (I'm guessing) paid for their efforts or the knuckle-dragging masses that read their schlock and clap their fat little arms as if it's truth-telling, hard hitting journalism.

bionic77

I'm not gonna forever crucify a guy for one bad moment. He has no history of this as far as we can tell (with a celeb, other folks would have been coming out of the woodwork). I'm not into judging people on their worst moments and it's not like he fucking killed someone.
Punching a woman in the face is pretty bad and indefensible. And it is not as bad as murder, but that shouldn't be the bar of how we judge the actions of others. 'Oh well, yeah he raped kids but it wasn't like anyone died!'

I think he should still be allowed to work, but no it shouldn't be something that we should just forget about. Especially seeing as how it was caught on tape.

Dude fucked up badly. Now he has to life with it.

gutshot

This is what playing tempo can give you. A crucial 4th-and-1 and this is what the Jags defense looked like as the Eagles were getting set to snap the ball.

6a019aff7e1054970d01b8d065d01a970c-800wi

And this is what the read option gives you as right after the snap, the safeties are crashing the bubble screen and QB keeper, respectively. Huge hole for Sproles and the comeback is on.

6a019aff7e1054970d01a73e11c3fe970d-800wi

chipkellylaughing.jpg

Fox318

I watched the Skins/Texans game, hard to watch at times, but RG3's pocket awareness is rancid right now. OL is doing him no favors. This is simply the case of a young QB taking way too many hits early in his career, which has caused other problems to surface. Dropping eye level, drifting back instead of climbing the pocket and throwing with proper balance. Hard to watch. Skins did a bad job with him, but I guess, when you give up multiple draft picks it's hard to build a solid group around him.

Not like the Rams or Browns at the time would have done great job with him either.

brentech

Punching a woman in the face is pretty bad and indefensible. And it is not as bad as murder, but that shouldn't be the bar of how we judge the actions of others. 'Oh well, yeah he raped kids but it wasn't like anyone died!'
Only on the inside, so it doesn't count.

Also Ray Ray's murder doesn't count because he only had half the blood on his shirt.

Another thought on the Dolphins game: We saw very few designed bootlegs from Tannehill and no read option or QB keepers. Seems to me like Lazor hasn't opened the play book up all the way yet.

Deadspin on whether or not the NFL saw the tape before:

http://deadspin.com/someone-is-lyin...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"Privately, top reporters were told in no uncertain terms that the video existed, that the NFL had seen it, that it showed Janay Palmer acting violently toward Rice, and that, if released, it would go some way toward mitigating the anger against him."

Anyone who listens to sports radio probably remembers that week, where multiple people were arguing the unreleased video must have been really bad. As if Rice's wife went Solange on him, minus the bodyguard.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pre-ordered my Fifa15 ultimate edition! Get ready Greg and TDR!

I'm going to fight for my title of NFL-GAF FIFA King.

Those ultimate edition EA games seem like the biggest ripoff ever. Unless I'm missing something you don't actually get anything extra for your $10 until after the 15th week the game is out because its still just 1 free pack a week which is what you get preordering the standard version.

eznark

Banned
Patriots average gain per passing play yesterday was 3.8 yards.

Rams second and third string Qb's average gain per passing play was 6 yards.

Brady would be the 4th quarterback in St. Louis.

It took two press conferences for him to apologize to her. The second one was done because there was such outrage that he specifically apologized to his fans and everybody else except her. The person who was spat on, punched, knocked out, and dragged out of an elevator, apologized to the person responsible for it all before he apologized to her.

Off the team. Fuck suspension, fuck banishment from the league, you could do either/both/neither, but I just want him gone from the Ravens. He can have his third chance elsewhere. Suggs is already on his fifth chance, and Lewis has infinite chances apparently. This team needs no more of this.

brentech

It took two press conferences for him to apologize to her. The second one was done because there was such outrage that he specifically apologized to his fans and everybody else except her. The person who was spat on, punched, knocked out, and dragged out of an elevator, apologized to the person responsible for it all before he apologized to her.
But, but, MOOOMMMMMMMMM, SHE STARTED IT!!!

DMczaf

The Ravens have gone out of their way to defend and protect Rice’s honor, to the extent of live-tweeting his wife’s apology for getting knocked unconscious.

Wait.....she apologized for getting knocked the fuck out? I haven't been keeping up with this shit.

MechDX

Wow RT @DanWetzel: Txt'ing w/ team officials around NFL, they predict Ravens will cut Ray Rice. "Have to." Not sure anyone would pick him up

Good.

I would love to be the one writing the talking points on Smith's teleprompter during that segment:

He didn't know his own strength.

He just wanted to keep her from attacking him, it was actually an accident.

You can see from the loving way he moves her, like she is a sack of potatoes, that he really loves her and felt horrible about the outcome (ignore the part where he leaves her halfway in the elevator and outside and some dude has to stick his hand there to stop it).

Ray has grown since this and they are happily married now.

He used to be really good at football.
I still have no problem on Stephen A's stance as he wasn't defending Rice at all(No one really was). It didn't look like he was physically provoked that much and should probably just be released from the Ravens at this point and move on.

Wait.....she apologized for getting knocked the fuck out? I haven't been keeping up with this shit.

Yep. He apologized to everybody but her. She apologized to him for "her role in the situation". And the Ravens organization tweeted that apology.

Ray got so much shit for not apologizing to her that he had to eventually do a second press conference where he apologized to her at last.

From Darren Rovell:

The fact that the hotel closed last week might have to do w/the timing of the Rice video release. No employee has job to worry about.

Patriots average gain per passing play yesterday was 3.8 yards.

Rams second and third string Qb's average gain per passing play was 6 yards.

Brady would be the 4th quarterback in St. Louis.

The first half was pretty good. Especially the first scoring drive where Brady was accurate and spreading it around.

But it all went to shit real fast after that. The deep balls were beyond terrible. The only completion was the one to Edelman and even that one was terribly under thrown.

The thing is though, even with Brady off his game, the offense as a whole was shit. The quick screens, end arounds and shit like that worked really well in the first half and was able to hide some of the lack of talent at WR. But all that disappeared in the second half. The game plan for the second half was all kinds of messed up and the Dolphins adjusted and just took over with ease.

Those ultimate edition EA games seem like the biggest ripoff ever. Unless I'm missing something you don't actually get anything extra for your $10 until after the 15th week the game is out because its still just 1 free pack a week which is what you get preordering the standard version.

- 40 FIFA Ultimate Team Gold Packs
- FUT Loan Player
- The adidas® All-Star Team
- The adidas® Predator Boot Collection
- 3 new Celebrations
- Historic Club Kits

So 25 extra packs, the loan player and some other stuff. Sure most of it is unlockable anyway, but it's nice to have and the 25 packs are nice for 10 bucks extra.

We should make a no Ronaldo rule or something, haha. Looking forward to some more crazy matches!

Costa and Hazard are gonna pull me through! Ronaldo or no Ronaldo!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Tom Brady was 2-of-18 for 65 yards on throws at least 15 yards downfield. Brady missed (over or underthrown pass) on 11 of his 18 attempts (61 percent). Brady missed on 41 percent of deep throws last year. Brady was 0-for-12 in the 2nd half on throws at least 15 yards downfield. Brady's 16 incompletions on throws at least 15 yards downfield is the most by a quarterback in a game since the start of Stats & Info's data set (2006).

DMczaf

Tom Brady was 2-of-18 for 65 yards on throws at least 15 yards downfield. Brady missed (over or underthrown pass) on 11 of his 18 attempts (61 percent). Brady missed on 41 percent of deep throws last year. Brady was 0-for-12 in the 2nd half on throws at least 15 yards downfield. Brady's 16 incompletions on throws at least 15 yards downfield is the most by a quarterback in a game since the start of Stats & Info's data set (2006).

"When I suck, I’ll retire. But I don’t plan on sucking for a long time."

eznark

Banned

I really hope someone like Beddard goes in depth on that game. I think it has the potential to be one of the worst QB halfs in modern football.

Cloudy

Banned

I regret drafting him so much. No WR threats and their offense is dink and dunk

The Pats offense was successful last year because they could run the ball. Take that away and get some pressure with 4 man rushes and Brady has no chance.

Tom Penny

I'm a big fan of Julian Edelman as a deep threat...definitely a recipe for success. In reality I'm trying to figure out how Moreno made the D Line look worse than Green Bay's.

I just think domestic violence is an issue for society as a whole not just when famous people do it. there are hundreds of cases yearly with pro athletes a few games suspensions isn't solving anything these people need counseling and therapy not losing game checks. Suggs poured bleach on his girl and didn't get a slap on the wrist since tmz wasn't involved and nobody in Baltimore cares because it was a one time incident. If this was indeed a first offense then treat it like one and seek to help them.

Lance Stephenson kicked his girl down the steps but was just at the espys joking around with drake about blowing in Lebrons ear. This stuff happens more regularly than we think the only reason people are so outraged is because there's video evidence. If you wanna do something about domestic violence go volunteer not complain that somebody wasn't suspended long enough or released.

Bill Simmons is a joke. Where was his outrage in any other case of domestic violence with a famous athlete? Why didn't he call the pacers cowards for not releasing Stephenson? Why didn't he call the steelers cowards for not releasing Ben? These athletes are people just like us and mistakes happen. If no charges were filed and his wife forgave him then let them live.

It has to do with the fact that there is evidence in this case. Acting on the rare chance you have to do something about domestic violence is important. More often than not it's a he said she said scenario with no resolution so it's important that Rice is punished severely. It will set a precedent.

I'm a big fan of Julian Edelman as a deep threat...definitely a recipe for success. In reality I'm trying to figure out how Moreno made the D Line look worse than Green Bay's.
The WR's aren't great but they weren't the main issue with those deep passes. Most of the throws were just terribly off. Brady's deep ball accuracy is gone.

eznark

Banned
Bill Simmons is a joke. Where was his outrage in any other case of domestic violence with a famous athlete? Why didn't he call the pacers cowards for not releasing Stephenson? Why didn't he call the steelers cowards for not releasing Ben? These athletes are people just like us and mistakes happen. If no charges were filed and his wife forgave him then let them live.

I don't know who Stephenson is but Simmons did call for the Steelers to release Roethlisberger on his podcast.

He's totally a joke though too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom