• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

haha I was just saying to a friend this morning that today is the day to get any ugly news out. NCAA making moves like the bosses they are

eznark

Banned
You did not just compare fiscal implications of disasters to fantasy football.

LET'S GET OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point of the show is to discuss the fantasy football implications of current football events. Sometimes that can be crass like following a significant injury, arrest or contract termination. But it's the point of their existence.

This may stun you, but not everyone is going to take three days to process and contemplate this earth shattering news. People will pay (with their attention) if it impacts them. Sirius Fantasy Football: FYIDM

Greg Aiello ‏@gregaiello 33s
Roger Goodell has announced that based on new video evidence that became available today he has
indefinitely suspended Ray Rice.

orly Rog

Someone get this clown the fuck outta here. I wonder, with the amount of revenue he's generating for the owners, is there anything Goodellfuhrer can actually do to get fired.

They GAVE 40 MILLION LAST YEAR so you damn know well he made them at least double that amount if not triple.

LET'S GET OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point of the show is to discuss the fantasy football implications of current football events. Sometimes that can be crass like following a significant injury, arrest or contract termination. But it's the point of their existence.

This may stun you, but not everyone is going to take three days to process and contemplate this earth shattering news. People will pay (with their attention) if it impacts them. Sirius Fantasy Football: FYIDM

And like I originally said those people are nerds. They don't give 2 fucks about anything but their precious fake team.

xnipx

So now that he's cut. What actually will be done to help domestic violence victims? Is the nfl going to pay for their counseling/anger management? Or does nobody care about that? Just as long as "justice is served" will we move on to how josh Gordon and Robert Mathis and Wes Welker got screwed?

Fox318

lol

How can this video footage slip through their hands with the squad they have on payroll? Gross incompetence.

Deadspin has a whole article talking about officials that have seen the tape.

Smart move by TMZ on delaying the tape until opening week.

I said they should have cut him as soon as it happened, and I'm glad they finally have. We were looking at a 3-13 year with Rice, and now we'll probably flirt with 5 wins. I was getting real sick of the Baltimore Ravens, the organization and it's fanbase, getting drug through the mud over this issue. Of course a couple idiots tweeted defending their favorite player, and clapped when he got back on the field when the issue seemed to have been put to bed. Every fanbase has idiots, but they don't represent everyone. How would Pats fans feel if everything Gata said was considered the "typical Patriots fan".

As for the organization, I understand why they tried to hold on. Cutting Rice was going to cost them money, and they wanted to see if they could weather the PR hit. They chose wrong. It was a business decision, I doubt very much they were discussing how much Ray had left in the tank, or what type of person he was behind closed doors, just money and PR.

He's gone, I'm glad, it's for the best, but I don't celebrate it YAY HE'S GONE! I used to like the guy, he did some really great things for the team (I'll never forget that run in the playoffs against the Pats, or the 4th and 26) and the city. But that's no longer who he is, and it's sad.

TheFatOne

lol

How can this video footage slip through their hands with the squad they have on payroll? Gross incompetence.

Covering up after the fact. They saw this video, but somehow expected it not to leak. Gooddell should be fired, but that will never happen.

So now that he's cut. What actually will be done to help domestic violence victims? Is the nfl going to pay for their counseling/anger management? Or does nobody care about that? Just as long as "justice is served" will we move on to how josh Gordon and Robert Mathis and Wes Welker got screwed?
I'm fine with the Wes Welker suspension. Anything to keep him from becoming a walking mess of mashed potatoes.

gutshot

Suspended indefinitely by the NFL as well, eh?

Not bad NFL. Not bad.

Yeah, they totally handled this situation perfectly from the outset and this wasn't at all motivated by the fact that the video went public and they could no longer hide exactly what happened in that elevator.

Greg Aiello ‏@gregaiello 33s
Roger Goodell has announced that based on new video evidence that became available today he has
indefinitely suspended Ray Rice.

7gGTqBf.gif

Fantomex

Stupid ray rice taking from the glory of my phins beating the pats. All the networks will switch to ratings Ray Rice watch instead of awesome Cameron Wake highlights

Honestly, I do kind of agree with Vio-lence on this one. The league/Ravens lowkey fucked him.
(OBVIOUSLY RAY RICE FUCKED HIMSELF UP WHEN HE PUT HIS HANDS ON A WOMAN)

But if the league gave him a year off in the first place, this probably goes away. He comes back in 2015 with a tarnished reputation, but he'd probably wouldn't be seen as completely radioactive/untouchable to teams potentially looking to bring him in.

The way it went down today, his NFL career is effectively over.

squicken

I definitely think he should have been cut, over the summer, when it first happened and the initial video was out.

That said, I do also kind of not like the mob rule aspect of this, even if the mob happens to be right

And allowed the state to control the money from the fine, which is exactly how it should be.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I thought all of the punishments they leveled on Penn State were PURE bullshit. Especially invalidating wins.

Oh it is definitely unpopular. Higher ups at the university knew that children were being molested and covered it up. No punishment would be severe enough for that.

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/robert-mathis-tears-achilles-tendon/

The Colts’ defense looked a little lost last night, missing the pass rush provided by Robert Mathis.

They’ll need to find a way to fix it.

Multiple league sources tell PFT that Mathis suffered a torn Achilles last week while working out on his own in Atlanta. His season is now over.

Mathis had three games remaining on his suspension for violating the PED policy, which he claimed arose from taking a fertility drug.

But now, they won’t be getting him back for the final three-fourths of the season.

That sucks for the Colts. Tore his Achilles during his suspension

Doesn't this also mean that Ray McDonald is going to get hammered? He actually was charged with domestic violence?

Ray beat a pregnant woman, once the investigation is done he is going to get destroyed. League will be afraid to go to soft at first and then have more evidence come out. They will go hard right off the bat.

cdyhybrid

I definitely think he should have been cut, over the summer, when it first happened and the initial video was out.

That said, I do also kind of not like the mob rule aspect of this, even if the mob happens to be right

Wouldn't have to worry about the mob rule aspect if the commissioner wasn't such a fuck-up.

Fire Goodell and get someone competent in there and everything will be fine.

xnipx

So should every player involved in a domestic dispute be cut? How slippery a slope are you willing to make this? What should the panthers do? What should the pacers have done? Domestic violence has existed in sports forever. NOW it's an issue because there's video proof?

Dragon

Banned
So should every player involved in a domestic dispute be cut? How slippery a slope are you willing to make this? What should the panthers do? What should the pacers have done? Domestic violence has existed in sports forever. NOW it's an issue because there's video proof?

It's an issue because society has advanced to the point where these things aren't just forgotten about it as if it's not a big deal. The argument from history is such a fallacy no one should have to address it.

jakncoke

Banned
Goodell really just does whatever he wants doesnt he. Hey you're suspended 2 games, oh shit they seen the other vid brehs tmz paid prob 6 figures for it. Oh shit public seeing it, pr cover up army enable. Tell the press Ray Rice is suspended till further notice! How can he get suspended twice for the same incident? I guess its finally correct action, only took the sports fan nation to call them out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom