• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judy Battista ‏@judybattista 1m
I've been told that the Ravens were told a "softer" version of the events that were shown on the videotape.

:jnc

If the circumstances weren't so awful, this whole thing would be great comedy

EDIT: squick's curse game is still immaculate, I see. Rides for the Rams, Bradford gets hurt. Pimps the Colts, Mathis gets hurt.

LJ11

Also, I don't think Ray Rice is completely done, this is the NFL. If he doesn't play again it's his age that's a big factor than his actions, sad as it is to say.

Crisco

Banned
BxA2jhRCAAE3ToU.png

Just permanently change the name of your column to that you fucking hack.

eznark

Banned
Also, I don't think Ray Rice is completely done, this is the NFL. If he doesn't play again it's his age that's a big factor than his actions, sad as it is to say.

His age plus his poor performance in 2013 lead me to believe no one will give him a shot in 2015.

Goodell really just does whatever he wants doesnt he. Hey you're suspended 2 games, oh shit they seen the other vid brehs tmz paid prob 6 figures for it. Oh shit public seeing it, pr cover up army enable. Tell the press Ray Rice is suspended till further notice! How can he get suspended twice for the same incident? I guess its finally correct action, only took the sports fan nation to call them out..

First suspension extended probably.

Oh it is definitely unpopular. Higher ups at the university knew that children were being molested and covered it up. No punishment would be severe enough for that.

I've just always had the opinion that it was THOSE people that should be punished, not past/future players. The ruling should have been "Penn State can not play football until this list of people is completely eliminated from the administration, plus this list of things has to be implemented." The ruling they gave was a huge overreach.

Greg

Honestly, I do kind of agree with Vio-lence on this one. The league/Ravens lowkey fucked him.
(OBVIOUSLY RAY RICE FUCKED HIMSELF UP WHEN HE PUT HIS HANDS ON A WOMAN)

But if the league gave him a year off in the first place, this probably goes away. He comes back in 2015 with a tarnished reputation, but he'd probably wouldn't be seen as completely radioactive/untouchable to teams potentially looking to bring him in.

The way it down today, his NFL career is effectively over.
everyone dropped the ball (courts, league, Ravens), but he fucked himself

LevelNth

Banned
Rice will stand as the 'trophy' for the league to display it's new intolerance of domestic violence. He'll never play a snap in the NFL again.

Crazy day.

Fox318

What team would even sign him at this point?

Plus the NFL practically had to beg for Sam to get on a practice squad and Rice gets a spot?

If only Irsay was making decisions. He'd trade a 2nd for Rice.

Bowser

Maths was the last bit of talent we had left on defense. Gonna be a long year.

Don't worry, you've got defensive wizard Chuck Pagano crafting an intricate scheme
of zero pass rush and busted coverages to get Come-from-Behind Luck to show his powers

slabrock

Banned
Softer? How soft can you tell a domestic violence story?

"He just poked her in the face!"

He probably said she hit him multiple times before he reacted or something like that trying to make it like he was actually defending himself instead of him being a piece of human garbage.

eznark

Banned
I've just always had the opinion that it was THOSE people that should be punished, not past/future players. The ruling should have been "Penn State can not play football until this list of people is completely eliminated from the administration, plus this list of things has to be implemented." The ruling they gave was a huge overreach.

It was a systemic and institutional enabling of child rape. The entire sports program should have been shuttered and Happy Valley salted.

Instead the NCAA slapped their wrist and reinstated them asap because fuck, Pedo State makes bank!

Fantomex

Ray Rice could have avoided all of this by just learning to parry like Jay Z. Wait for the elevetator to stop and just run out.

dionysus

Yaldog
Have to agree with Eznark.

You have to punish the football program because it was the very placement of the football program above the lives of individual kids that caused the coverup and enabling of Sandusky. If you have a culture that values the football over the rape of little kids, you have to attack the culture itself as well as the individuals.

Nah, it's very bad.

This should have been the punishment from the start.

Are you surprised by these actions? They are fucking months late on punishing him, and they weren't going to unless this video went public. The NFL fucked up real bad.

Yeah, they totally handled this situation perfectly from the outset and this wasn't at all motivated by the fact that the video went public and they could no longer hide exactly what happened in that elevator.

I was expecting them to do nothing about this. Just stand by their old punishment and try to sweep it under the rug.

I was saying not bad because it's obviously better than what I was expecting. Better late than never and all that.

Worst teams from last season get first dibs. Take the draft order and you have waiver wire priority....

Thank you.

I'm not sure why they would want him. Did you see Sproles in the game yesterday?

I saw Sproles, looked great on punt returns and terrible rushing outside of one run where the gatas were totally out of position on D. I just would like to have a 3rd RB that they can count on. If Shady even gets dinged and has to leave a game right now we only have Sproles. That is very scary to me.

It was a systemic and institutional enabling of child rape. The entire sports program should have been shuttered and Happy Valley salted.

Instead the NCAA slapped their wrist and reinstated them asap because fuck, Pedo State makes bank!

I mean, I really get this point of view on the other hand and can't say much about it, just with the caveat that this culture pervades the entirety of college sports and that they should all be treated exactly the same way, not just whatever team you want to make an example of today. I just think it's stupid as shit to isolate one college team for a culture that pervades them all, and then go on to punish players for shit they had no control over.

Of course. Other guys have committed far worse crimes and been back. I mean Ray Lewis killed someone and he's a hall of famer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom