• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luck would be a West Ham fan
Bwso8yVIUAEk77A.jpg

Anyone that's raising a family will have a hard time doing it on even that kind of wage.

And one would argue that you shouldn't start a family when you're not making a wage to support it.

Anyway, not the thread
or forum since you just get drowned out when you show any remote conservatism on GAF
for this discussion. Football talk.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You don't calculate labor just by profits. You calculate it by how valuable the labor itself is. But that's not really what I was getting at because I do think the minimum wage should be raised some as well. The point is that of course people in other slightly higher paying jobs are going to complain about unskilled labor getting paid more, because paying them more devalues the more skilled labor. They SHOULD complain.

The fallacy comes in when the expectation is for corporations to pay their upper management less to afford the increase of wages or to simply decrease their net income. I just don't see that being their response to a mandatory minimum wage increase to $15 an hour. Obviously wages across the board would have to increase if fast food employees are making $15/hour simply because the market would still adjust to skill/experience demands. It seems to me that prices would increase across the board as well to compensate.

The only real long term solution, once again, is either more education for everyone or somehow bringing back manufacturing.

edit: Fuck the Seachickens.

cajunator

Banned
It takes about 2 months training just to get new dispatchers acclimated to the work and about a year for them to get comfortable with the pace of working on a crazy night. I think all of us dispatchers are underpaid lol. You definitely have to be patient with people, able to work in high stress fast changing situations, capable of switching to emergency mode instantly, detail oriented, have good time management, multitasking, good problem solving skills, good inter-office communication skills, and of course the whole tolerating long hours thing.

dionysus

Yaldog
You don't calculate labor just by profits. You calculate it by how valuable the labor itself is. But that's not really what I was getting at because I do think the minimum wage should be raised some as well. The point is that of course people in other slightly higher paying jobs are going to complain about unskilled labor getting paid more, because paying them more devalues the more skilled labor. They SHOULD complain.

The value of labor is an intersection of the supply and demand curve. What you are describing would be the situation of what a company would theoretically be willing to pay if skilled labor was extremely scarce. But in most industries that have high profit margins per employee, the supply of employees is also great so they don't have to pay nearly as much as the company earns off the employee. Tech is a great example of this because it is also not capital intensive so it is much easier to see how profitable pure labor is. (As opposed to a capital intensive field like oil & gas where labor is a small part of the costs, capital investment is the majority.) The profitability of a single MS engineer is insanely high, but they get paid like 1/20th of that.

The value of labor is an intersection of the supply and demand curve. What you are describing would be the situation of what a company would theoretically be willing to pay if skilled labor was extremely scarce. But in most industries that have high profit margins per employee, the supply of employees is also great so they don't have to pay nearly as much as the company earns off the employee. Tech is a great example of this because it is also not capital intensive so it is much easier to see how profitable pure labor is. (As opposed to a capital intensive field like oil & gas where labor is a small part of the costs, capital investment is the majority.) The profitability of a single MS engineer is insanely high, but they get paid like 1/20th of that.

Yes, that is how the value of labor is calculated. It is independent of profit, which is the point I was making.

Dragon

Banned
And one would argue that you shouldn't start a family when you're not making a wage to support it.

Anyway, not the thread
or forum since you just get drowned out when you show any remote conservatism on GAF
for this discussion. Football talk.

Wow. People start families all the time for various reasons, not all planned. What a ridiculous statement, ignoring the facts I presented. smh

The fallacy comes in when the expectation is for corporations to pay their upper management less to afford the increase of wages or to simply decrease their net income. I just don't see that being their response to a mandatory minimum wage increase to $15 an hour. Obviously wages across the board would have to increase if fast food employees are making $15/hour simply because the market would still adjust to skill/experience demands. It seems to me that prices would increase across the board as well to compensate.

The only real long term solution, once again, is either more education for everyone or somehow bringing back manufacturing.

edit: Fuck the Seachickens.

In order to get more education, there needs to be a total overhaul of how much public and private universities charge for education. They have continued to go up in some places way more than inflation or wage increases. It's plain greediness and it's despicable. People shouldn't have to be in debt for 20 years to get a good education.

nerd on nerd internet bullying that no one with a life needs to care about

Just don't even try to understand it. Nobody involved actually knows either. Nonsense, really.

Horrible people defending horrible people who are being attacked by horrible people for what they believe is horrible behavior in the gaming industry.

Whole thing has read like shades of grey from my understanding.

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one that's completely confused at what's transpiring.

Wow. People start families all the time for various reasons, not all planned. What a ridiculous statement, ignoring the facts I presented. smh

In order to get more education, there needs to be a total overhaul of how much public and private universities charge for education. They have continued to go up in some places way more than inflation or wage increases. It's plain greediness and it's despicable. People shouldn't have to be in debt for 20 years to get a good education.

As someone with over $100000 in student loan debt I totally agree.

People are surprised when I tell them how much I make. Apparently because Starbucks is drowning in cash due to five dollar milk slushies, it means I should be living large. Not so, regretfully.

And I'm happy we've gotten to the point where nerds now bully other nerds. It's what bros all over always wanted!

I ignored the facts you presented because I don't have the time or the will to shit up a football thread with the requisite three pages of posts it would require to even have a worthwhile discussion on the subject. I settled for a zinger.

I paid ~$30k for my entire education (two years CC and two and a half at a state school) and now have a yearly household income of $150,000. People bring the debt on themselves 100% needlessly. One term at a state school in PA costs $7000 currently. It's so cheap you can work and pay it off as you go practically.

I ignored the facts you presented because I don't have the time or the will to shit up a football thread with the requisite three pages of posts it would require to even have a worthwhile discussion on the subject. I settled for a zinger.

I paid ~$30k for my entire education (two years CC and two and a half at a state school) and now have a yearly household income of $150,000. People bring the debt on themselves 100% needlessly. One term at a state school in PA costs $7000 currently. It's so cheap you can work and pay it off as you go practically.

This has to be up there for most wrong thing ever. I did 11 years of college. 2 at CC, then 4 at a local college, then 5 at grad school in NH. I was originally going for a PHD but due to a family thing I had to leave with a masters after I had completed all the PHD course work and qualifying exam. My parents had no money to help pay for my college and so I had to take loans every semester, and the small stipend that I got in grad school didnt come close to covering basic living expenses. The system is set up for these colleges and the banks that give the loans to make huge profits off of people trying to get an education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom