• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Seattle recently raised their minimum wage to $15 per hour.

There was a bill in LA to raise minimum wage to $13.25, as well. I would think the people who make that now would have to get a raise of at least 25% to make up for it. I highly doubt that would be possible, but it's fun to speculate.

#NotAllGamers
WTF?

That is secretary money.

I am not sure what minimum wage should be but that seems to be too high for a job for high school kids.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So fucking pumped for the game tonight!! I just want the pack to put up a good fight. If we get embarrassed like the Broncos did in the SB that would absolutely suck lol. Not the end of the world if we lose...but man I want this win sooooo bad!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah I've got about 60k in student loans.

Feels bad man.

Income Based Repayment plans are the bomb though. Plus Obama made it to where you won't pay on your loans for more than 20 years anyway. Thanks Obama!

Konka

Banned
Man you guys are so American, arguing about wages and stuff.

It's a lot cheaper to go to school here in Europe, even more Americans such as myself.

eznark

Banned
^ You're living in heaven! 12% corporate income tax? Such a great country, Ireland.

I got paid to go to school. You guys just need to be more talented.

jakncoke

Banned
WTF?

That is secretary money.

I am not sure what minimum wage should be but that seems to be too high for a job for high school kids.

It should of been attached to the inflation curve all along, but instead of doing that the govt/state/local let it stagnate for long periods of times. I think I read somewhere if we followed inflation curve min wage should be like 10.50/11 a hour.

Who forced you to go to college for 11 years? What a fucking monster.

ib0dRihCvo66ma.gif

Who ever made it so that you need a good degree to have any hope of earning a decent living.

Yeah I've got about 60k in student loans.

Feels bad man.

Income Based Repayment plans are the bomb though. Plus Obama made it to where you won't pay on your loans for more than 20 years anyway. Thanks Obama!

I to am doing the income based repayment. Thank who ever came up with that because I would be totally fucked without it.

This has to be up there for most wrong thing ever. I did 11 years of college. 2 at CC, then 4 at a local college, then 5 at grad school in NH. I was originally going for a PHD but due to a family thing I had to leave with a masters after I had completed all the PHD course work and qualifying exam. My parents had no money to help pay for my college and so I had to take loans every semester, and the small stipend that I got in grad school didnt come close to covering basic living expenses. The system is set up for these colleges and the banks that give the loans to make huge profits off of people trying to get an education.

I understand the desire to get a PhD, and definitely feel bad that you had some bad circumstance that prevented you from getting yours, but it's not like someone put a gun to your head and told you to go get a graduate degree.

And actually, the college system is NOT set up for banks that give loans to make profits. College was historically set up so that wealthy families could send their non-heir children somewhere so that they could study and make a living. The entire institution was founded on the fact that largely you need to have money before you even attempt it. Everyone just got so swept up by the idea that they had to go that banks latched on and started profiting off of those people.

Also, you do not need a graduate degree to get a good job. I have B.S.

eznark

Banned
I've met like a dozen people who spent that much time in college and they were all poors working for garbage non-profits like "free lawyers for homeless" or some nonsense.

Brain surgeons don't even go to college for 11 years do they??

rando14

I've met like a dozen people who spent that much time in college and they were all poors working for garbage non-profits like "free lawyers for homeless" or some nonsense.

4 college, 4 med school = 8 years of "school"

7 year residency but that's an actual paid job (starts at like 50, goes up to 75 or so). Then after that you'll make half a mil

eznark

Banned
The way the country is going I suggest anyone with student loans just keep them in forbearance until the government bails you out. It's clearly going to happen eventually.

Talon

Neurosurgery would be:

4 years in Undergrad
4 years in Med School
3 years in Internal Medicine Residency
4-6 years in Neuro Fellowship

eznark

Banned
Neurosurgery would be:

4 years in Undergrad
4 years in Med School
3 years in Internal Medicine Residency
4-6 years in Neuro Fellowship

Residency/Fellowships don't count bro-brah. You're getting paid. From the sounds of it, Yankee wasn't getting paid during those 11 years.

Konka

Banned
A three years master degree program at a state school in PA costs $24k with no financial assistance dude.

And thats fine, of course my program here is 1 year and cheaper, and I have nothing against the state school system but in some programs you're fucked unless you have the proper University name to go along with your field.

gutshot

What could have been... (also Russell Wilson sounds like an annoying texter)

Drafting Russell Wilson changed everything for Pete Carroll's Seahawks, but the third-year quarterback very nearly wound up throwing passes for the Eagles.

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah weaved a tale of intrigue on his newly minted Move the Sticks Podcast, revealing that Wilson was on Philly's radar long before Seattle grabbed him in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Working back then as West Coast scout for Eagles, Jeremiah told listeners that Wilson "was a guy we really, really liked" in the lead up to the annual selection process.

"I can tell you a bunch of stories about my communication with him during that process," Jeremiah said. "For example, I interviewed him at the Senior Bowl. At the end of the interview, you always ask for players' numbers so you can get in touch with them -- he asked for my number. And then I would get text messages from him periodically saying, 'If the Eagles draft me, I will lead the Eagles to championships.' You know he would send me these text messages.

"... So leading up, even the day of the draft, the first day of the draft: 'If the Eagles draft me I will lead them to championships.' He was sending me these text messages," Jeremiah said. "Well, we really liked him, and I thought there was a very real chance he was going to end up being a Philadelphia Eagle there. And then of course, Seattle ends up taking him."

That pick by Seahawks general manager John Schneider greatly altered the course of the NFC, but we can't help but wonder what Wilson would have become in a pairing with Philly's Chip Kelly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...son-promised-eagles-hed-win-them-a-super-bowl

The first 2 years dont really count since I had to go the CC route since I fucked off a bit in HS. Really though those first 2 years added very little to the overall cost. Grad school was the real killer. UNH charged $900 a month to live in the graduate dorms, which was a tiny room barely bigger then the bad, and like another $150 a month for the meal plan. For profit colleges is a terrible idea.

As to your question it is 8 years of college min to get a medical degree, plus at least 3 years for a residency, but that can last as long as another 8 years.

jmdajr

No doubt school is expensive as fuck. But it's either that or learn some trade.

And even then, trade school is probably expensive too!

And thats fine, of course mine program here is 1 year and cheaper, and I have nothing against the state school system but in some programs you're fucked unless you have the proper University name to go along with your field.

That's where I disagree. Master's Degrees are already rare, and once you get your first job in the field your actual educational background is irrelevant because they only care about your work experience. It might take you slightly longer to get a job, or maybe you'll get slightly less pay, but in the end the savings more than makes up for that discrepancy. I went to Kutztown University, which absolutely no one has heard of outside of PA. You know what's going to get me my next job? The fact that I performed incredibly at my job and was an IEEE Young Engineer of the Year, not where I got my degree.

Konka

Banned
No doubt school is expensive as fuck. But it's either that or learn some trade.

And even then, trade school is probably expensive too!

You could take the jakncoke route of living off mad dawg.

That's where I disagree. Master's Degrees are already rare, and once you get your first job in the field your actual educational background is irrelevant because they only care about your work experience. It might take you slightly longer to get a job, or maybe you'll get slightly less pay, but in the end the savings more than makes up for that discrepancy. I went to Kutztown University, which absolutely no one has heard of outside of PA. You know what's going to get me my next job? The fact that I performed incredibly at my job and was an IEEE Young Engineer of the Year, not where I got my degree.

I disagree. I am doing International Relations with a focus on EU Foreign Policy, Security and Immigration/Human Rights. It's a very specific focus and my resume will be greatly aided and provided relevant credibility by the fact that I got my education in Europe and not a small PA state school. I'm going to volunteer and intern with groups over here that do hands on work with what I am looking to do. There are situations where the school that you go to does have a large factor on your credibility.

I also don't view University as just a way to get a job, I want the life experiences that come along with it.

eznark

Banned
The first 2 years dont really count since I had to go the CC route since I fucked off a bit in HS. Really though those first 2 years added very little to the overall cost. Grad school was the real killer. UNH charged $900 a month to live in the graduate dorms, which was a tiny room barely bigger then the bad, and like another $150 a month for the meal plan. For profit colleges is a terrible idea.

As to your question it is 8 years of college min to get a medical degree, plus at least 3 years for a residency, but that can last as long as another 8 years.

So, sounds like some bad choices.

Also were you/are you going to medical school?

bionic77

4 college, 4 med school = 8 years of "school"

7 year residency but that's an actual paid job (starts at like 50, goes up to 75 or so). Then after that you'll make half a mil
Most new doctors don't make 500k anymore duder. At least not the ones I talk to or hang out with. But they seem to get a lot of vacation.

You should have been a doctor in the 80s. They were making millions back then.

And it is hard for me to feel too bad about Americans bitching about minimum wage when millions of people can't get clean water to drink. It is all relative. Here being poor is eating too much food, having 2 shitty cars, and having to buy Android phones and tablets instead of stuff from Apple.

First world problems...

Doomsayer

WTF?

That is secretary money.

It is a bit odd, but the cost of living over there is pretty high so I can see why they had to balance it out somehow.

I seriously can imagine the people getting paid <$15 are going to raise all sorts of hell. Especially if they have been a part of the company for a few years.

Crisco

Banned
I used to think exactly the same as the people in that thread. Then I got my first part time job at Sonic in high school, and was completely shocked when I realized actual adults worked there too. People with kids and a family to support, flipping burgers. They were making maybe 0.50/hour than I did. Blew my mind that people actually lived that way, by no fault or choice of their own. From that day on, anytime I was called a spoiled brat, I didn't argue.

That's pretty cheap.

My Masters in Accounting was nearly $20k with tuition and fees for one year at a state school in Arkansas.

In PA they charge by the credit, so it really depends how many credits you need to get your grad degree. Usually you need a lot fewer per term than you did in undergrad because half of your time is spent researching.

eznark

Banned
Most new doctors don't make 500k anymore duder. At least not the ones I talk to or hang out with. But they seem to get a lot of vacation.

And it is hard for me to feel too bad about Americans bitching about minimum wage when millions of people can't get clean water to drink. It is all relative. Here being poor is eating too much food, having 2 shitty cars, and having to buy Android phones and tablets instead of stuff from Apple.

First world problems...

how dare you

I used to think exactly the same as the people in that thread. Then I got my first part time job at Sonic in high school, and was completely shocked when I realized actual adults worked there too. People with kids and a family to support, flipping burgers. They were making maybe 0.50/hour than I did. Blew my mind that people actually lived that way, by no fault or choice of their own. From that day on, anytime I was called a spoiled brat, I didn't argue.

laugh.gif

Fox318

First world problems...

M6tprCXl.png

rando14

First world problems...

Yeah salaries vary widely. If you go into private practice and end up becoming a part-owner you'll rake in a ton, especially if your place does in-house imaging etc.

So, sounds like some bad choices.

Also were you/are you going to medical school?

No a PHD in Physics. I definitely made4 some bad choices. I think the point was that it is 100% the persons fault if they have students loans is a bit much. I understand on the internet everything is taken to extremes but that is still pretty extreme. It is funny that I could do my current job with just a BS, but there was no way to know that before hand. also factoring into my loans is once I decided to become a teacher I had to get a teaching certificate and so I did a 1.5 year long program at Drexel which was very expensive. Normally a person wouldnt have had that extra cost.

Talon

Depends entirely on what industry or type of company you want to get into. If you want to work for a Big 4 (now 3) consulting firm right out of undergrad, a fair amount of those practices will only target specific schools because they are able to: Ivy Leagues, UChicago, Stanford, MIT, Duke, Northwestern, etc. That opportunity to make $80k + bonuses right out of school is compelling.

The difference in my ways is the ease of your path. I had way more opportunities within the first three years out of graduation (when work experience is limited) than many of my friends that went to state schools. The way I see it, it's a matter of easing your path. If you (have the advantage of being able to) frontload the work, the opportunities for success are easier.

It's not that you can't grow into a successful career otherwise. It's just easier to get in the door this way.

*Caveat that I had the benefit of a privileged background with parents that were highly invested in my education from the start.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
In PA they charge by the credit, so it really depends how many credits you need to get your grad degree. Usually you need a lot fewer per term than you did in undergrad because half of your time is spent researching.

Ah okay, it was a full time program with 15 hours for each semester.

Only a few got assistantships and had their fees waived. Lucky dogs.

Should have only 30,000 in debt by the time I'm done. Girlfriend went the private school route and ended up with $125,000, but her grandpa died a month after graduation and left her a ton of money and after she got hired as an illustrator designing clothes, it took seven months to pay off the remainder. All my grandparents are dead, so I won't be so lucky.

Talon

Should have only 30,000 in debt by the time I'm done. Girlfriend went the private school route and ended up with $125,000, but her grandpa died a month after graduation and left her a ton of money and after she got hired as an illustrator designing clothes, it took seven months to pay off the remainder. All my grandparents are dead, so I won't be so lucky.
So this was dark.

eznark

Banned
No a PHD in Physics. I definitely made4 some bad choices. I think the point was that it is 100% the persons fault if they have students loans is a bit much. I understand on the internet everything is taken to extremes but that is still pretty extreme. It is funny that I could do my current job with just a BS, but there was no way to know that before hand. also factoring into my loans is once I decided to become a teacher I had to get a teaching certificate and so I did a 1.5 year long program at Drexel which was very expensive. Normally a person wouldnt have had that extra cost.

His point was just that if you don't want to be in debt, you don't have to be. If you had stayed in community college what would your debt have been? $2000 total?

Also yeah dude, there are ways to know what is required of which jobs. It's why I always tell people to go work for a bit after every stage of their life. If you can find something you love doing after high school stick with it, fuck the man telling you to go to college. Those loans will be waiting there for you in 5 years if it turns out welding wasn't for you (it is, welding is like the sweetest gig in America right now). Don't like your entry level position after you get your college degree? Go to grad school. Enjoy wasting all of your time in class so much (or did you pick a worthless and garbage graduate degree like social work) then get a phd.

No reason to remove yourself from all other possibilities just because you want some more letters on your resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom