• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends entirely on what industry or type of company you want to get into. If you want to work for a Big 4 (now 3) consulting firm right out of undergrad, a fair amount of those practices will only target specific schools because they are able to: Ivy Leagues, UChicago, Stanford, MIT, Duke, Northwestern, etc.

The difference in my ways is the ease of your path. I had way more opportunities within the first three years out of graduation (when work experience is limited) than many of my friends that went to state schools. The way I see it, it's a matter of easing your path. If you (have the advantage of being able to) frontload the work, the opportunities for success are easier.

It's not that you can't grow into a successful career otherwise. It's just easier to get in the door this way.

*Caveat that I had the benefit of a privileged background with parents that were highly invested in my education from the start.

But you had debt. I view it like this. Yes, you may have to work a few years at an inferior job for a few years to build up experience to get hired at a Big 3 or 4, but if you have the talent you'll get there. In the mean time instead of digging your way out of loan debt, you are building a positive net worth. In 40 years down the line, when it's time to retire, the person who built positive net worth early on is usually going to be the one better off. Obviously this doesn't apply to things like Ivy League degrees, where the increase in earnings potential offsets the cost, but for the average private or semi-public schools it is the case.

bionic77

Yeah salaries vary widely. If you go into private practice and end up becoming a part-owner you'll rake in a ton, especially if your place does in-house imaging etc.
Yeah the owners make the real cash. If you want to be rich get a stable of doctors and network like a mofo.

Also :lol at the salt from a simple drive by on Android phones.

but how can you be with your own kind that way

5NYEDyw.jpg

Just a mirror bro.
Such original

Konka

Banned
But you had debt. I view it like this. Yes, you may have to work a few years at an inferior job for a few years to build up experience to get hired at a Big 3 or 4, but if you have the talent you'll get there. In the mean time instead of digging your way out of loan debt, you are building a positive net worth. In 40 years down the line, when it's time to retire, the person who built positive net worth early on is usually going to be the one better off. Obviously this doesn't apply to things like Ivy League degrees, where the increase in earnings potential offsets the cost, but for the average private or semi-public schools it is the case.

I mean all the schools he listed are pretty much equivalent of Ivy League...It's the same for Law School, you better get into a top 10 school or don't bother going.

Talon

Actually, and it's a shame that more people don't know this, financial aid packages from private schools have become extremely competitive to the point where you get a free ride at Harvard if your household income is less than $60k/year (don't remember the exact amount, but it's around there), and the education grants slider actually goes to 70% at ~$80k, 50% at ~$90k, etc.

Harvard started their program back in 2008 and the rest of the Ivy League and Stanford and Duke have followed suit with similar programs.

So, in reality, if you're smart but come from a poorer background, your best financial decision is to go to an established private school.

My brother got into a number of state schools (in-state) and private schools (out-of-state), and the out-of-state schools provided much better financial packages, and he's going to a strong school in the DC area only paying $4k/year.

Didn't know you were into Physics yankeehater, that's awesome, glad to have you as an honorary dolphins bro and judging from the last two pages it would seem like it's the middle of july and not kickoff day lol

Actually, and it's a shame that more people don't know this, financial aid packages from private schools have become extremely competitive to the point where you get a free ride at Harvard if your household income is less than $60k/year (don't remember the exact amount, but it's around there), and the education grants slider actually goes to 70% at ~$80k, 50% at ~$90k, etc.

Harvard started their program back in 2008 and the rest of the Ivy League and Stanford and Duke have followed suit with similar programs.

So, in reality, if you're smart but come from a poorer background, your best financial decision is to go to an established private school.

It really depends on the school. UPenn does the same as Harvard. Poorer students can get nearly a free ride. So that is definitely an option. But if you walk across the street from UPenn and go to Drexel you will pay an arm and a leg and get barely any assistance. So it really does depend on the school and the degree program. It's just that that doesn't apply to 90% of college grads.

His point was just that if you don't want to be in debt, you don't have to be. If you had stayed in community college what would your debt have been? $2000 total?

Also yeah dude, there are ways to know what is required of which jobs. It's why I always tell people to go work for a bit after every stage of their life. If you can find something you love doing after high school stick with it, fuck the man telling you to go to college. Those loans will be waiting there for you in 5 years if it turns out welding wasn't for you (it is, welding is like the sweetest gig in America right now). Don't like your entry level position after you get your college degree? Go to grad school. Enjoy wasting all of your time in class so much (or did you pick a worthless and garbage graduate degree like social work) then get a phd.

No reason to remove yourself from all other possibilities just because you want some more letters on your resume.

Yeah if I had known I would end up in teaching I totally could have figured out what was required and saved my self 5 years and probably $70000. My goal was to be a research scientist, hence the PHD in physics. Once that wasnt an option I decided to give teaching a try and wound up loving it. I couldnt be happier with my job, so it all worked out in the end. I did do exactly what you said about trying different jobs after high school. I did landscaping, house painting, and even worked in a plastics factory for a while. That is really good advice.

Talon

It really depends on the school. UPenn does the same as Harvard. Poorer students can get nearly a free ride. So that is definitely an option. But if you walk across the street from UPenn and go to Drexel you will pay an arm and a leg and get barely any assistance. So it really does depend on the school and the degree program. It's just that that doesn't apply to 90% of college grads.
Son. You best not be comparing Penn to Drexel.

But, in all honesty, yeah, I'm coming from the perspective of looking at the higher end of the education spectrum so, yet again, I am speaking from a point of privilege.

Seriously regret college, to be honest. Associates in Computer Information Systems, which tells employers absolutely nothing beyond "I can use computers"

I swear I learn more now than I did during college.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I really need to go back and get my Accounting PhD.

Six figure salary would be pretty awesome. The grueling hell of 4 years of the PhD program with ridiculous math and statistics doing menial research isn't as awesome.

Talon

Six figure salary would be pretty awesome. The grueling hell of 4 years of the PhD program with ridiculous math and statistics doing menial research isn't as awesome.
Did you already get your Masters? My bud hates his job at E&Y, but he's doing pretty comfortable with that degree.

Didn't know you were into Physics yankeehater, that's awesome, glad to have you as an honorary dolphins bro and judging from the last two pages it would seem like it's the middle of july and not kickoff day lol

Yeah I did my thesis in nuclear theory. I am very happy and honored to be an honorary member of fins age. We are going to kick the shit out of the Pats on Sunday and start Bradys slide to irrelevancy.

Tamanon

Banned
Seriously regret college, to be honest. Associates in Computer Information Systems, which tells employers absolutely nothing beyond "I can use computers"

I swear I learn more now than I did during college.

To be fair, in the IT world, you do learn more outside of college. But college at least helped you learn what to learn and how to do it.

rando14

Why get a PhD in accounting? Get a bachelor's in math and statistics and work as an actuary

I often ponder my future, in an existential Rust sort of way.

Also I know is I'm too smart to not be making more scratch. I need to figure some stuff out and then put in the time to make it happen.

Talon

To be fair, in the IT world, you do learn more outside of college. But college at least helped you learn what to learn and how to do it.
Yeah, to me, the biggest benefit I had from college was being around smart people for four years and being challenged to defend my opinions in a compelling and convincing way. That was the greatest value from the courses I took rather than the actual content itself. Not that I didn't learn cool shit, just that maybe 5% is directly applicable to the work I do.

Yeah, to me, the biggest benefit I had from college was being around smart people for four years and being challenged to defend my opinions in a compelling and convincing way. That was the greatest value from the courses I took rather than the actual content itself. Not that I didn't learn cool shit, just that maybe 5% is directly applicable to the work I do.

In Comp Sci nothing you learn is directly applicable to your work. Computer Science in college is basically a big course in how to survive a career in software. The obscene amount of homework you get preps you for the obscene amount of individual study you have to do for the rest of your life. I've spent 20 hours of my own time studying just this week.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Did you already get your Masters? My bud hates his job at E&Y, but he's doing pretty comfortable with that degree.

Yeah I have my masters and working for the government here in Texas.

It's sort of a weird state to be doing government work in because while Texas pays way more than most states, people are making a fortune in private industry with gas and oil.

And yeah, all my old classmates hate their lives in Big 4. My best friend from college is actually about to quit to just live like a bum for about a month or so since he has a bunch of money saved up from not having time to spend it.

Bowser

Or y'all could be like me, go to the public school you grew up rooting for (and, coincidentally, the only school I applied to...that probably wasn't so smart :jnc), experience a national championship, get your bachelor's, sell your soul to the world of finance, and rack up dem bonuses!

4 years and counting...

bionic77

who cares about money and education when football is 7 1/2 hours away
If the Packers suck you will want something to distract yourself from the pain.

And if they look awesome you will be combing the internet for stories about how great your team is.

This is the cycle.

It begins tonight!

Crisco

Banned
So Rivera and the coaching staff are going full Belichick. They drove Cam in on a cart today, had him do nothing but handoffs during the part of practice open to media, and Cam himself was fucking with the media by hiding behind stuff. This is great, about time we got some of that evil genius gamesmanship in Charlotte.

BwtA2abCIAAyn-J.jpg:large

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn 23m
Cam Newton hiding from photographers for fun. #Panthers pic.twitter.com/DjBo2Fl0Cm

Talon

Yeah I have my masters and working for the government here in Texas.

It's sort of a weird state to be doing government work in because while Texas pays way more than most states, people are making a fortune in private industry with gas and oil.

And yeah, all my old classmates hate their lives in Big 4. My best friend from college is actually about to quit to just live like a bum for about a month or so since he has a bunch of money saved up from not having time to spend it.
Yeah, he's pretty burnt out. Had to fire a team member due to one fuck up for a big client. Seems like it's unnecessarily stressful.
Or y'all could be like me, go to the public school you grew up rooting for (and, coincidentally, the only school I applied to...that probably wasn't so smart :jnc), experience a national championship, get your bachelor's, sell your soul to the world of finance, and rack up dem bonuses!

4 years and counting...
I almost went to UNC. We coulda been schoolmates, Bowser! Actually, wait, yeah, we would have been in the same class.
If the Packers suck you will want something to distract yourself from the pain.

And if they look awesome you will be combing the internet for stories about how great your team is.

This is the cycle.

It begins tonight!
Bionic. You're the best.

jmdajr

Should have only 30,000 in debt by the time I'm done. Girlfriend went the private school route and ended up with $125,000, but her grandpa died a month after graduation and left her a ton of money and after she got hired as an illustrator designing clothes, it took seven months to pay off the remainder. All my grandparents are dead, so I won't be so lucky.

30,000 isn't bad. That's what I had. Paid off like 7 years ago.

Who ever made it so that you need a good degree to have any hope of earning a decent living.
I don't have a degree. I make a more than comfortable living. With my wifes income (I put her through school for 4 years so she could get her RN and she's working on her surgical specialty right now) we make well over six figures.

I've been at the same company for nearly 15 years and worked my way up the ladder.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you going to school for 11 years. I applaud it if anything as I'm going back next year to complete my Bachelors (my company is paying for it so why not?) but I tend to look down on the view that you can't make things happen in your life without a bit of hard work and know how. Even if you're a hispanic immigrant from Cuba who grew up dirt poor with both parents scraping by on welfare.

So Rivera and the coaching staff are going full Belichick. They drove Cam in on a cart today, had him do nothing but handoffs during the part of practice open to media, and Cam himself was fucking with the media by hiding behind stuff. This is great, about time we got some of that evil genius gamesmanship in Charlotte.

BwtA2abCIAAyn-J.jpg:large

he won't be able to hide from dat Detroit d-line next weekend.

Talon

I don't have a degree. I make a more than comfortable living. With my wifes income (I put her through school for 4 years so she could get her RN and she's working on her surgical specialty right now) we make well over six figures.

I've been at the same company for nearly 15 years and worked my way up the ladder.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you going to school for 11 years. I applaud it if anything as I'm going back next year to complete my Bachelors (my company is paying for it so why not?) but I tend to look down on the view that you can't make things happen in your life without a bit of hard work and know how. Even if you're a hispanic immigrant from Cuba who grew up dirt poor with both my parents scraping by on welfare.
Yeah, again, it's not to say that you can't. It's just to say that your first step can be significantly easier from the more traditional path.

It will be sweet when my girlfriend is out of school and practicing.

TheContact

So excited football is beginning!! I don't care who wins tonight I'm just excited to see it

Can't wait TILL Sunday. Go pats !

Yeah, again, it's not to say that you can't. It's just to say that your first step can be significantly easier from the more traditional path.

It will be sweet when my girlfriend is out of school and practicing.
Oh I've no doubt it would have been easier had I continued in school and I might not be doing what I'm doing today but after two years, I simply wanted done with school. I wanted in the work force and I don't regret it.

To your point about attending private schools and financial packages available - I went to Bloomsburg University for two years straight out of high school. I spent months researching grants and other financial incentives that I could apply for to attend school because my parents simply had no way to help (less than 40k salary between the two of them with two kids). I payed nothing outside of food/books to attend college for two years and for the first year, I got a check to buy books with.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Champ Bailey worked out for the Lions. Rapsheet says the Lions liked what they saw but no deal is imminent.

Bring him in. No problem bringing in a seasoned vet to play 4th string on our weakest spot of the roster.

With that being said football!!!

Things seem to be looking up this season, though. Quarterback Matthew Stafford calls the team as talented as any in the league on paper and coach Jim Caldwell referenced his history with champs in Indianapolis and Baltimore while saying he thought this team had the foundation of a Super Bowl winner. Wide receiver Calvin Johnson shares that optimism, saying that he believes “this is our best chance” to win a championship.

“I honestly believe that,” Johnson said, via the Detroit Free Press. “And you’ve got to buy in. You’ve got to buy into the coaches’ philosophy, and we have. I believe that everybody is doing exactly what the coaches want us to do, and if we’re not, if something is not like he wants it, he’s going to tell us and we’re going to get better at it and he only has to tell us one time.”

-PFT

Our first ballot HOF WR and our pro bowl QB believe this is our best chance to win a Superbowl. If they believe, I believe.

jakncoke

Banned
johnsonsnow.gif

Cant wait for snow again and hope we get another game like this

Bring him in. No problem bringing in a seasoned vet to play 4th string on our weakest spot of the roster.

With that being said football!!!

-PFT

Our first ballot HOF WR and our pro bowl QB believe this is our best chance to win a Superbowl. If they believe, I believe.

wow im shocked you didnt call stafford a HOF there as well, is your fandom fading for him?

bionic77

I don't like talking about money and that shit.

All I can say is work hard, network, take some chances and hope for the best. And you should not mind doing shit for free if it benefits you (either from the experience, getting your name out there, etc.). There is a lot of luck in life, both good and bad.

I don't think you should spend too much on college these days though unless you go to Harvard. Go to the best state school you can, or if that is not an option go to the private school that gives you the most money back to go there (assuming it is good).

Also, never ever ever ever root for the Patriots. As Tim told us many times, while you can have a good time in this life rooting for the Patriots, that bill will due and you will be fucked in the afterlife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom