• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 10 |OT| - Fright Night

Why is everyone acting surprised at Cutler? Dude quit in the NFC Championship game. The book on him has been written, became a bestseller and was featured on Oprah's book club.

Respect

Bears/Bucs game in two weeks needs to be flexed to Sunday Night.

eNRWzOh.gif

So I guess a QB throwing 6 TDs will be a weekly thing now.

Packers gonna fuck us up.

Yeah, it might get ugly. Have a feeling the only way to get win in that one at this point is to win the turnover battle at least 2+.

:jnc this season in a nutshell

jA0OatG.png

This is amazing.

eznark

Banned
The fact that that was ruled a fumble and not a blocked punt is probably my favorite thing from last night.

He did. I'm surprised anyone is still being derpy about that game but oh well.

jay-cutler-on-sideline.jpg

Him getting "hurt" in that game saved his career, and reputation. He was straight fucking abysmal in that football game. 40% completion and a pick. Just garbage. If he had finished that game he probably never gets another contract in Chicago, but he got hurt so people only remember that.

Him getting "hurt" in that game saved his career, and reputation. He was straight fucking abysmal in that football game. 40% completion and a pick. Just garbage. If he had finished that game he probably never gets another contract in Chicago, but he got hurt so people only remember that.

How did it save his reputation, tons of people were calling him a quitter and saying it was a fake injury after that game. That conversation dissipated over time as Cutler showed physical toughness by taking regular beatings behind some really bad offensive lines.

He has played like garbage in plenty of full games against good defenses in big games since then. The guy is constantly the target of criticism when the Bears lose.

I mean look, I'm not a Cutler lover. I think he is what he is and not worth what he is being paid. But the guy is physically tough and to say he somehow faked tearing ligaments in his knee in that particular game, that is just...bizarre. He got his latest contract because he got injured in the 2010 NFC Title game? lolwhut?

Hunter S.

As a Broncos fan I knew the Raiders were terrible so I expected the Broncos would do well.

Packers fans seem to find it surprising they dominated a terrible team.

eznark

Banned
How did it save his reputation, tons of people were calling him a quitter and saying it was a fake injury after that game. That conversation dissipated over time as Cutler showed physical toughness by taking regular beatings behind some really bad offensive lines.

He has played like garbage in plenty of full games against good defenses in big games since then. The guy is constantly the target of criticism when the Bears lose.

I mean look, I'm not a Cutler lover. I think he is what he is and not worth what he is being paid. But the guy is physically tough and to say he somehow faked tearing ligaments in his knee in that particular game, that is just...bizarre. He got his latest contract because he got injured in the 2010 NFC Title game? lolwhut?

I didn't say he got his extension because of the injury.

And the injury shifted the discussion to his "toughness" and away from his shitting the bed in the most important game of his career. You can defend his toughness, its a lot harder to defend his play.

Looking at some teams future cap numbers. Lions pay Calvin and Stafford over 46 million combined in 2016. Reggie Bush isn't getting cut next year since they only save 1.7 million while having 3.5 million in dead money. Of Detroit's top 8 in salary next year only cutting one of them will save them over half of that player's salary. They have over 100 million in salary taken up in 2016 already. I don't see any way they end up keeping Suh.

Agreed although I still think Reggie is gone. The run game has been horrible in part due to the OL, and I expect changes in both areas. We'll draft an RB in the first 3 rounds, and I think Bell+Riddick+Draft Pick+Winn will be our backfield. Riddick hasn't shown anything run wise, but he is a huge threat out the backfield and has had some great plays these last couple weeks. Bush hasn't shown anything at all this season.

Tulluch could also be on the way out, sadly. Personally I hope we keep him and let Suh walk. This defense is a lot better than I thought, and letting Suh go will allow us to make it better. IE another CB to replace Mathis (who has played well but is already eligible for social security/AARP discounts at Bob Evans) and a DL replacement for Suh. In terms of the draft, defensively: DL, safety, DE. Not sure we'll draft another CB at this point, given how many we have recently.

Gotta hope Van Noy and Cauran Reid make leaps next season. I didn't see most of the game yesterday but I did see Van Noy save a TD on special teams.

eznark

Banned
As a Broncos fan I knew the Raiders were terrible so I expected the Broncos would do well.

Packers fans seem to find it surprising they dominated a terrible team.

Michael David Smith @MichaelDavSmith
Peyton and Rodgers combined for 655 yards and 11 TDs Sunday. Neither played in the fourth quarter.

The Bears haven't been a dead franchise as long as Oakland, so it is still fun to dance on their corpse. Someday maybe it'll get tiring, but I certainly hope not.

I didn't say he got his extension because of the injury.

And the injury shifted the discussion to his "toughness" and away from his shitting the bed in the most important game of his career. You can defend his toughness, its a lot harder to defend his play.

Well you said would have never gotten another contract in Chicago and I'm pretty sure the first time his contract was up was this past year. That is how I was looking at it.

I don't know man, I guess where I live I heard plenty about his shitty play too. I'm not even attempting to defend his play. He is wildly inconsistent and makes bad decisions. That is what bothers me. The things I don't care about are some of the things the media likes to dig into like oh he looks mopey, oh he is a dickhead, etc. Bottom line is, do your job well and nobody cares. Jay makes too many mistakes. At this point, it doesn't seem like something that can be coached out of him. But we are stuck with him for two more years.

Regardless of Cutler, the current coaching staff is hot garbage. Trestman has lost the team and that is where most of my angst is directed right now.

He sucks at offense though. Offense has regressed and Cutler has been the reason.

If I had to delegate blame:
1. Phil Emery
2. Jay Cutler
3. Mark Trestman
4. Mel Tucker

I'd bump up Trestman a spot for two reasons:

1) He is supposed to be Mr Magic Genius QB Whisperer guy.
2) He chose to retain Mel Tucker for another year.

Hunter S.

The Bears haven't been a dead franchise as long as Oakland, so it is still fun to dance on their corpse. Someday maybe it'll get tiring, but I certainly hope not.
I guess when you go in thinking it would be embarrassing to lose by any score you have a different outlook. There is a lot of trash talk to the Raiders in social media though.
oakland%20raiders%20memes%201.jpg

Well you said would have never gotten another contract in Chicago and I'm pretty sure the first time his contract was up was this past year. That is how I was looking at it.

I don't know man, I guess where I live I heard plenty about his shitty play too. I'm not even attempting to defend his play. He is wildly inconsistent and makes bad decisions. That is what bothers me. The things I don't care about are some of the things the media likes to dig into like oh he looks mopey, oh he is a dickhead, etc. Bottom line is, do your job well and nobody cares. Jay makes too many mistakes. At this point, it doesn't seem like something that can be coached out of him. But we are stuck with him for two more years.

Regardless of Cutler, the current coaching staff is hot garbage. Trestman has lost the team and that is where most of my angst is directed right now.

Don't you think that being wildly inconsistent might be related to things like poor body language and a bad attitude?

eznark

Banned

I mean, that's what everyone has said since they got him. If you don't get to a quarterback early, or completely lock him down a la Alex Smith, there isn't a lot you can "fix." Especially with a slanger.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I put Cutler higher up on the fault tree because he was part of the new coach hire. Emery spent money and draft picks to accomodate Cutler. This was supposed to be a high scoring offensive team and Cutler has shit the bed. Hes pathetic.

I'm strongly considering a squickening. Im 33 and been suffering through this crap for over 20 years. Brett Favre ruined my formative years and I see no chance for improvement as long as Rodgers is around. Now I have a one year old son, I'm not sure I want to raise him in a bears household. Thats child abuse.

If they dont fire the entire coaching staff at year end, I'm hitching my wagon to andrew luck.

bionic77

I put Cutler higher up on the fault tree because he was part of the new coach hire. Emery spent money and draft picks to accomodate Cutler. This was supposed to be a high scoring offensive team and Cutler has shit the bed. Hes pathetic.

I'm strongly considering a squickening. Im 33 and been suffering through this crap for over 20 years. Brett Favre ruined my formative years and I see no chance for improvement as long as Rodgers is around. Now I have a one year old son, I'm not sure I want to raise him in a bears household. Thats child abuse.

If they dont fire the entire coaching staff at year end, I'm hitching my wagon to andrew luck.
Quitters never win.

Once you go down the path of squicken it will dominate your life and your son will learn that when things get tough you should quit and move on to something easier.

You are a bad fan and a worse father if you go through with this plan!

Don't you think that being wildly inconsistent might be related to things like poor body language and a bad attitude?

I think the only reason the media harps on it so much is because Cutler isn't a media friendly personality. It means absolutely nothing to me. It is a low-hanging fruit, meatball discussion to me.

eznark

Banned
Lions averaging 20 points per game despite playing five of their eight games against the worst defenses in the entire league.

Stafford am eleeet

Vio-Lence

Banned
Quitters never win.

Once you go down the path of squicken it will dominate your life and your son will learn that when things get tough you should quit and move on to something easier.

You are a bad fan and a worse father if you go through with this plan!
Thanks for the kind words.

eznark

Banned
Caller on 670 just blamed all of the Bears problems on Gabe Carimi.

God damn it I love when the Bears are bottom feeders.

Hey you never know, one day the Bears might be end up like the Blackhawks and have the right family member inherit the team and hire the right people to turn it around!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Lions averaging 20 points per game despite playing five of their eight games against the worst defenses in the entire league.

Stafford am eleeet

I wish kas would parade around that defense instead of the offense. That Lions offense is a bunch of big names with no production (kind of like Chicago).

I don't think anyone would disagree with the statement that that defense is legit.

It's really weird hearing you talk like this but there's always room on the Packers side friend.

I completely agree with your idea of child abuse though.

eznark

Banned
I wish kas would parade around that defense instead of the offense. That Lions offense is a bunch of big names with no production (kind of like Chicago).

I don't think anyone would disagree with the statement that that defense is legit.

Yeah, the defense is insane. And Joique Bell is awesome. And Megatron is awesome. He picks the most mediocre player on a talented team to fellate because as a casual football fan all he knows is the QB. I mean, the guy doesn't even watch all the Lions games, can you blame him for not knowing anything beyond the QB?

Tom Penny

Yeah, the defense is insane. And Joique Bell is awesome. And Megatron is awesome. He picks the most mediocre player on a talented team to fellate because as a casual football fan all he knows is the QB. I mean, the guy doesn't even watch all the Lions games, can you blame him for not knowing anything beyond the QB?

You're just jealous Rodgers couldn't come back on the Dolphins like Stafford did.

eznark

Banned
Rodgers is throwing a touchdown on 9% of his passes. Greatest Show on Turf Warner was at 8.2%. 50 touchdown Brady was at 8.6%. Manning the last two years is at 8.2%.

Crazy town.

Top Bottom