• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 10 |OT| - Fright Night

Oh man the terms on this job offer I got are so garbage.

Option 1: $58/hour + Health Insurance
Option 2: $55/hour + 6 Holidays + 5 PTO days + Health Insurance

Current: $101k Salary + 15 PTO days + 7 Holidays + 2 Personal days + 5 sick days + Health Insurance + 5% equity (unvested)

Pfffft. It would barely even be a raise, and I'd be switching to contract work. They better come back with something better than that.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
Follow
NFL has told teams if they want to be considered to host a Super Bowl they must be prepared to give up home games by playing in London.

King Rog going all in

MRSA

Banned
Fuck anatomy

I had a quiz today, a quiz tomorrow, quiz on Monday, lab practical on Wednesday, and lecture midterm on Thursday.

What the fuck.

Slo

Oh man the terms on this job offer I got are so garbage.

Option 1: $58/hour + Health Insurance
Option 2: $55/hour + 6 Holidays + 5 PTO days + Health Insurance

Current: $101k Salary + 15 PTO days + 7 Holidays + 2 Personal days + 5 sick days + Health Insurance + 5% equity (unvested)

Pfffft. It would barely even be a raise, and I'd be switching to contract work. They better come back with something better than that.

Yeah, that's not an upgrade. Salary aside, I'd consider it a demotion as well. Keep that title as a lead for as long as you can. Huge on the resume.

I basically have the same job title, btw. I'm technical lead to outsourced development teams in India and Armenia.

RBH

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero
Follow
NFL has told teams if they want to be considered to host a Super Bowl they must be prepared to give up home games by playing in London.

King Rog going all in

Now I understand why the Falcons gave up a home game to go to London.

Such bullshit.

Slo

The only upside I can think of is if your learn term plan is to step out on your own and create your own consulting service it might be nice to get a feel for it. Billings to the consulting company are much higher than that $58/hour they pay to the SE, for what it's worth.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Look guys I'll be honest, obviously I'd want nothing more but to see the Browns make the playoffs and do some damage but realistically if they can win 6 games this year I will be ecstatic!

The most wins I've ever seen in one season!!!!

Godslay

Banned
I'm the Lead Software Developer at a small company.

Projects like that should realistically just be an addition to what you are doing in your other job. Assuming you have time for that. We do it at our company and people have cleared $30K just doing contract work on the side. Personally, I aim for the bonus money because it is tiered. The more billable hours in a quarter, the greater the cut of the profit for me.

The only upside I can think of is if your learn term plan is to step out on your own and create your own consulting service it might be nice to get a feel for it. Billings to the consulting company are much higher than that $58/hour they pay to the SE, for what it's worth.

Yeah, we bill at $115/hr, contract workers get around $50/hr for their cut of the hour.

Slo

Projects like that should realistically just be an addition to what you are doing in your other job. Assuming you have time for that. We do it at our company and people have cleared $30K just doing contract work on the side. Personally, I aim for the bonus money because it is tiered. The more billable hours in a quarter, the greater the cut of the profit for me.

Interesting. Do you run into problems with your primary employer when you do this? I worked for a Fortune 500 company (think top 20) that basically claimed that they owned your ideas, your inventions, any code you write, your heart, you soul, and the first 8" of your colon.

Is your side work on the down low, or are they just a much better company to work for than mine?

Syrinx

Look guys I'll be honest, obviously I'd want nothing more but to see the Browns make the playoffs and do some damage but realistically if they can win 6 games this year I will be ecstatic!

You'll be ecstatic if they go 1-7 in the second half?

C'mon Kave, aim higher!

MRSA

Banned
What will put Chip Kelly into senile mode and trade up to #1 for Marcus Marriota?

Would another butt fumble do it?

Trust me when I say this: You don't want to fall into the vicious 6-10 cycle.

A) You never get high enough draft picks to make a true move. You just accrue a lot of guys, but never that special franchise-altering player.

B) I would rather be interestingly terrible than unremarkably mediocre, which is where the Panthers are as a franchise. Expect for the every fifth year where they cocktease us and delude the fans into thinking that they are about to take a step into the upper echelon and then fail in some completely embarrassing fashion before slinking back into the proverbial NFL middle class. If I have no hope of winning the Bowl and my choices are being boring and average or entertaining and a trainwreck, I'm taking the Jets.

Yes, I'm jaded as fuck.

Godslay

Banned
Interesting. Do you run into problems with your primary employer when you do this? I worked for a Fortune 500 company (think top 20) that basically claimed that they owned your ideas, your inventions, any code you write, your heart, you soul, and the first 8" of your colon.

Is your side work on the down low, or are they just a much better company to work for than mine?

We are a small company, and the owner is fine with it barring a few rules (mainly dealing with working for direct competitors). We have a core of developers, and we also have contract workers who do stuff on the side for us.

As far as owning the code, ideas, etc, they own the code you work on for them, but anything on the side is yours.

My side work is in the open, but like I said I don't do it very often.

Lol I make jack shit compared to yall.
im a dirty poor.

I make a modest salary, don't feel bad. You live in a spot with low cost of living so your dollar probably stretches a bit more. When you see some of these bigger salaries, you have to take into account the location.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
O'HARA: Ndamukong Suh built for endurance

Ndamukong Suh’s self-assessment of his physical endurance and mental approach to football is more a case of stating the obvious than bragging or self-promotion.

Suh is refreshed – as if he needed to be -- from the Lions’ bye week and ready to start the second half of the season for what the Lions hope will be an extended, and successful, run at the NFC North title. The second half of the season begins Sunday against the Dolphins at Ford Field.

Even without the break, which Suh used to return home to Portland and visit family and friends, the All-Pro defensive tackle has shown no visible signs of wear and tear from the first eight games.

In the last game before the break, Suh played 22 of 24 snaps in the second half as the Lions rallied from a 21-point deficit to beat the Falcons, 22-21, in London.

For Suh, it was no sweat.

“I’m built that way,” Suh said before practice Wednesday. “I’m built to endure long drives – endure, to just go out there and play whatever snaps I need to play.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/oh...ndurance/a2e8fe04-cb3f-47dd-a446-2be173de8f58

Copy and pasting on iOS8 sucks. Great article about Suh, his yearlong preparations and how he plans to step up without Fairley.

As Suh goes so goes the Detroit defense. I don't care what we have to do he needs to be a lifelong Lion. I think our run in the playoffs will help with that. Martin Mayhew and the front office know this and they'll get it done.

RBH

Halo MCC launch trailer and TV commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDvYJGquXgE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKb8U8R4A7M

00EEIRY.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Trust me when I say this: You don't want to fall into the vicious 6-10 cycle.

A) You never get high enough draft picks to make a true move. You just accrue a lot of guys, but never that special franchise-altering player.

B) I would rather be interestingly terrible than unremarkably mediocre, which is where the Panthers are as a franchise. Expect for the every fifth year where they cocktease us and delude the fans into thinking that they are about to take a step into the upper echelon and then fail in some completely embarrassing fashion before slinking back into the proverbial NFL middle class. If I have no hope of winning the Bowl and my choices are being boring and average or entertaining and a trainwreck, I'm taking the Jets.

Yes, I'm jaded as fuck.

I'm just talking bout this season. Yes I'm well aware of not being in that 5-8 win plateau and how shitty it is.

I just want to see something this year, we got two draft picks!

Top Bottom