• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 11 |OT| - The Quarterback Duel of the Decade Out of the Shadows

Fox318

9mQW8Mc.png

Cajanitor works for NFL?

Crisco

Banned
Steam In-home Streaming is really fucking impressive. I kinda rolled my eyes when they said streaming would be their "backwards compatibility" solution for SteamOS, but no longer. That shit works really really well.

It's funny that in a one score game you don't think points change the game at all.

To be clear I'm glad the Dolphins won because fuck the Patriots, but that was some shitty officiating at the end.
Blaming the outcome of that game on the refs means you were even more drunk than you thought!

LevelNth

Banned
First the entire team is turning on their hated QB who is costing them their star offensive player, and now Seattle is getting busted for selling watered down beer?

When it rains it pours.

eznark

Banned
"Game changing call." Close enough.

The point is the Bills had their chances and they couldn't get it done when it mattered, especially on offense.

It's weird that in a one score game you don't think awarding points changes the game. Like, super weird. "Competition is bad for consumers" levels of weird.

It's possible to have smaller discussions regarding the game without saying "hey sure but the Bills had chances!" Sure they did, does that make the call better? If the Dolphins win by 75 but the refs totally fuck up a call should they not be held to task for fucking up because hey, Bills weren't gonna win anyway!

It's weird that in a one score game you don't think awarding points changes the game. Like, super weird. "Competition is bad for consumers" levels of weird.

It's possible to have smaller discussions regarding the game without saying "hey sure but the Bills had chances!" Sure they did, does that make the call better? If the Dolphins win by 75 but the refs totally fuck up a call should they not be held to task for fucking up because hey, Bills weren't gonna win anyway!
I already said the Dolphins benefited from a questionable call and an awful one. Not sure what point you're trying to make here. I don't think the intentional grounding call was wrong, anyway. I think there are good defenses for it on both sides.

I think you just need someone to argue with and most people are unwilling this early in the morning!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Bills got shellacked because Orton couldn't hit wide open targets all night long. They got outplayed. Bills and Dolphins have normally split series, so a loss here wasn't unexpected.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Fuck I am not looking forward to the duckbill that will be the chiefs vs the raiders next thursday night... I am scared that the oakland raiders will get their first win against us on that stupid ass night...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Guys, someone photoshopped a mashup of that Kim Kardashian butt photo with the buttfumble. Look it up on twitter, I'm not sure I can link without getting in trouble.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...marshall-challenges-detroit-lions-fan-twitter

Brandon Marshall's Twitter back-and-forth with a Detroit Lions fan Thursday morphed into a $25,000 challenge from the receiver to step into the ring.

A Lions fan reminded Marshall of his comment last November when he referred to the Lions as "little brother" of the Chicago Bears, in addition to insulting the receiver's mother.

Marshall responded by challenging the fan to step into the ring with him for $5,000, later posting on Twitter that if he lost, he'd give up another $10,000. But if Marshall won, the fan would have to serve 100 hours at an orphanage, the receiver said.

The Lions fan later upped the ante, saying that if Marshall made the bet $25,000, the two could fight in Detroit.

After agreeing to the bet, Marshall added: "And you have to apologize to my mom."

The fan didn't respond immediately. So Marshall tweeted: "Deal or no deal bro? This is your chance to back up your talk and make 25k."

The fan later responded, saying the fight could take place if the 3-6 Bears won three more games. He temporarily made his Twitter account private, before turning it back public.

Throughout the exchange, the Lions fan called Marshall "Brandy."

Marshall later took to Twitter as word of the exchange gained steam.

Lol wow

ShaneB

Fuck I am not looking forward to the duckbill that will be the chiefs vs the raiders next thursday night... I am scared that the oakland raiders will get their first win against us on that stupid ass night...

It would not shock me at all. The Raiders have had some solid play lately, and I just don't see them going 0-16, so a win has to come from somewhere.

zychi

Banned

I'm not joking, this is literally ALL non-ESPN sports radio in Chicago talked about yesterday. Bernstein has turned the entire station against Brandon and Trestman, and anytime a caller tries to make a valid point, he just yells and calls them idiots. They even attempt to be funny during news conferences and talk over the guys talking like children. They are such bitter assholes at the Score now.

I fucking hate Chicago sports media now.

Fantomex

You can tell Marshall knows how to fight too. Soon as my friend took boxing lessons and starting getting good at knocking fools out, I remember him just baiting people to fight him. You would never see me challenging people to fight, I'd probably challenge them in words with friends.

MechDX

Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice · 1h1 hour ago
QBs making first Texans start 7-2. Texans all time when temp is below 40 degrees 6-2.

Every team has had a game where they get screwed over by the refs. It sucks that it had to happen in an important game like this, but you can't let the refs decide the outcome of your game.

The calling on some of them was atrocious though. That PI wasn't a PI, but that was after the Bills recovered the fumble and had the chance to tie or go ahead in the game, but they fucked up and turned the ball over. The intentional grounding and the 15 yard unsportsmanlike were all fair game.

Even Bills fans accept that it was their shitty offense that was the reason they lost and not the refs. It sucks they had some bad calls, but you just gotta get over it and move on. You'd be a really angry man if you dwelled on every badly officiated NFL game.

Since when does calling out bad officiating = blaming the refs for the outcome of a game?

My bad, didn't know that was the only point you were trying to make. I probably should have read the whole conversation. I'm just saying, you can call out bad officiating all you want, but its not worth it to get hung up with every badly officiated game. You can get mad about it during the game, but its not really worth talking about it the day after unless its something as horrible as the packers/seahawks part 2.

I'm not joking, this is literally ALL non-ESPN sports radio in Chicago talked about yesterday. Bernstein has turned the entire station against Brandon and Trestman, and anytime a caller tries to make a valid point, he just yells and calls them idiots. They even attempt to be funny during news conferences and talk over the guys talking like children. They are such bitter assholes at the Score now.

I fucking hate Chicago sports media now.

At least you'll always have the memories of the last 3 years when it was basically that exact same thing only against specifically Cutler

zychi

Banned
Xbox Support is seriously the dumbest people ever. They try and talk like it's a "friendly conversation" with incomplete thoughts and idiotic statements

I contacted them to cancel my digital preorder of GTA V. Dude asked me where I preordered the digital preorder! Where the fuck else? I'm talking to Xbox support, about an xbox preload.

SMH

Xbox Support is seriously the dumbest people ever. They try and talk like it's a "friendly conversation" with incomplete thoughts and idiotic statements

I contacted them to cancel my digital preorder of GTA V. Dude asked me where I preordered the digital preorder! Where the fuck else? I'm talking to Xbox support, about an xbox preload.

SMH

"I preordered it on my Dreamcast"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wojo: Lions can't afford to lose super Suh

Allen Park — He supposedly was too detached, didn't want to be here, didn't want to stay here. That was the easy angle on Ndamukong Suh, and he didn't do much to refute it. His only consistent retort: I'll be ready to play.

So now that he's in the midst of a dominant season, with the Lions 7-2 and the defense ranked No. 1, I figured it was time to ask if he had any I-told-you-so messages. He smiled and politely declined.

"How about you just do that for me?" he said. "I'm not that type of person, so you can do it. … I let the actions speak."

Suh is right, although that doesn't necessarily mean everyone else is wrong. He still doesn't talk about his future and it's still unclear (and probably undecided) if this is his final season with the Lions. When he says it's business, I think he means it. It's not personal, it's not the first step out of town. If the Lions offer the best deal — somewhere near J.J. Watt's six-year, $100 million contract — I think he stays.

Which leads to two questions. How can the Lions afford to keep him? How can the Lions afford not to keep him?

Suh is playing as well as any tackle in football, and at 27, is in his prime. He's durable — never missed a game because of injury — and is doing what he said he'd do.

Remember all the angst from fans and media when Suh missed voluntary offseason workouts to train on his own back in Oregon? You know, how his aloof manner was going to wreck team chemistry and hinder Jim Caldwell's debut? I thought it was nonsense then and Suh is showing it's nonsense now. He's not talking about his contract, he's not being distracted and he's not letting down.

According to teammates, Suh is humble and approachable. According to Pro Football Focus, he leads all defensive tackles with 35 quarterback pressures, including four sacks. According to Caldwell, this isn't a surprise to anyone connected with the Lions.

"Obviously, those of us here in the building didn't express the same kind of concern that was swirling around publicly," Caldwell said. "He was here when the rules say he should be here. He was not here when the rules say he doesn't have to be here. If there's one guy you don't have to worry about in terms of the shape he's gonna be in, or the performance he's gonna have, it's this guy."

Suh said he benefited more by sticking with his regular, intense training routine, the one he's always followed. But because his contract was up, it stirred more questions. GM Martin Mayhew expressed hope for a new deal, even when he halted negotiations just before training camp. Suh uses leverage brilliantly on the field and gambled for leverage off the field, and so far, he has won that battle. But nobody has lost it yet.

If the Lions keep winning, this is win-win. There's still risk, and no guarantee of a satisfactory conclusion, but I doubt either side is intentionally duping the other. The Lions probably considered it too big a gamble to make Suh the highest-paid defensive player ever, with huge contract obligations to Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford. But with the salary cap rising, there's always wiggle room.

Of course it takes two to wiggle, and maybe Suh wanted to see how the new coaching staff worked. Maybe he just wants to test free agency no matter what. It won't be easy to keep him but Pro Bowl tackles aren't easy to find, and the Lions have spent years looking for a defensive player like this. His presence impacts everyone on the deep line, including Ziggy Ansah (5.5 sacks), George Johnson (four sacks) and the injured Nick Fairley.

Caldwell doesn't hold back in his praise for Suh, opting for honesty over negotiating tactics.

"He's one of the all-time best in terms of preparation," Caldwell said. "He's smart, he's tough. He's a pro, not a dilettante. Dilettantes kind of dabble in the business, they think about it occasionally. It's his life."

After 4½ seasons with the Lions, Suh is still a bit of a mystery, a massive public figure with a seemingly manufactured public persona. When he talks to the media, he's not trying to be abrasive, just evasive. He even apologized Wednesday for not speaking after his dominant performance against the Dolphins Sunday.

He has a menacing countenance on the field and a dismissive demeanor off it, but he's different in comfortable settings, such as the locker room. Put him in front of a camera to talk about himself — and not read a commercial script — and he squirms.

"I've always had fun here playing in Detroit, and I look forward to continuing to have fun with this team," Suh said. "I've always been me, and will continue to be me. It's tough because I'm an introvert, so it's hard for me to let people in."

He says "introvert" as if it's a clinical diagnosis, or a protective shield. And honestly, that's fine. Lions fans probably are less interested in the warm and fuzzy, and more enamored with the cold and nasty on the field.

His teammates are the rare ones who see both.

"When I was just another player in this league, I thought Suh was hard-nosed, tough, mean," safety Glover Quin said. "But I get here and he's a soft teddy bear. I mess with Suh all the time, get in his face, pick at him. He's soft-spoken, and a lot of people get that confused with being, whatever you want to call it. But I love the guy, love to play with him."

Suh makes teammates better and they're making him better, and the result is a fearsome defense. Some said it wasn't possible, or isn't sustainable. Suh isn't saying they're wrong, but he's certainly showing it.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ojo-lions-afford-lose-super-suh-pay/18952507/

Get it done, Mayhew. Build this team around Matthew Stafford and Suh. Everything else will fall in place. You can't let a once in a generation defensive player like Suh walk.

Restore the Roar 2014.

Top Bottom