• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 12 |OT| - Matt Stafford vs. the World

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
AD is getting fucked by the Herr Goodell. No idea why the union signed up for 7 more years of him having ultimate power. I'm actually fine with the punishment, but in the interest of consistency, I cannot condone a one man judge, jury and executioner.

How many yards does AP need to rush for in his first season back for the world to forgive him? 1,000 is pretty decent but for this kind of grievance I'm thinking 1,500 or so.

Zeke

One of the best op's this season awesome work striker. Aw hell you guys brought the heat down on us. I don't know who did it but I'm gonna blame gata.

This Eagles defense is bafflingly dumb.

1 high safety, 2 CBs playing man. Cobb runs a post and gains 30 because the safety is too deep.

The Eagles have 2 safties that are total garbage. They have to do weird scheme things because they know that neither guy can tackle, and Allen cant cover at all either. People got conned by Jenkins early in the year, but he has sucked for weeks now also. They have so many holes, and they created an extra one by cutting DJax, my god that move somehow looks worse now then it did in the offseason. The Huff pick was such a waste, and they wouldnt have needed 2 WRs if they hadnt cut their best one. The only good thing to come out of this season is they know that Foles isnt the guy for sure.

ShaneB

dynasties suck and are boring. Nobody likes those.

Yes and No. It's boring to see a team win all the time, but that builds a hatred of such and such a team, and certainly increases any interest in a game where you hope to see that team lose.

Parity is awesome and this NFL season has been all sorts of wacky, but consistent powerhouse teams make it easy to cheer against those teams as well for that added dynamic.

eznark

Banned
The Eagles have 2 safties that are total garbage. They have to do weird scheme things because they know that neither guy can tackle, and Allen cant cover at all either. People got conned by Jenkins early in the year, but he has sucked for weeks now also. They have so many holes, and they created an extra one by cutting DJax, my god that move somehow looks worse now then it did in the offseason. The Huff pick was such a waste, and they wouldnt have needed 2 WRs if they hadnt cut their best one. The only good thing to come out of this season is they know that Foles isnt the guy for sure.

Listening to various Packers talk, this outcome was pretty much what they expected. Just a horrible matchup for the Eagles. Their Offensive Revolution is good in that it allows shitty QB's to be at least mediocre, but it relies on tempo. The Packers are a small defense that defends the pass extremely well. Basically the Chip Kelly Revolution is a dream offense for the Packers to play against. Not only does it rely on finesse and beating guys man up, it also gives the opposing offense the ball very, very quickly (and often!)

Chip should've swallowed his pride and come out and pounded the football. Thankfully that garden gnome could never do such a thing.

Slo

AD is getting fucked by the Herr Goodell. No idea why the union signed up for 7 more years of him having ultimate power. I'm actually fine with the punishment, but in the interest of consistency, I cannot condone a one man judge, jury and executioner.

NFLPA has some leverage here for the next CBA. My bet is the choose to spend to on less practice time or lessened celebration penalties and Goodell keeps his gavel. They'll get the bubble gum and comic books of bargaining chips instead.

Milchjon

If Gata was a snitch who'd want to bring us down, he'd have to be terrible at it to snitch to Mutes. TDM is good people.

Listening to various Packers talk, this outcome was pretty much what they expected. Just a horrible matchup for the Eagles. Their Offensive Revolution is good in that it allows shitty QB's to be at least mediocre, but it relies on tempo. The Packers are a small defense that defends the pass extremely well. Basically the Chip Kelly Revolution is a dream offense for the Packers to play against. Not only does it rely on finesse and beating guys man up, it also gives the opposing offense the ball very, very quickly (and often!)

Chip should've swallowed his pride and come out and pounded the football. Thankfully that garden gnome could never do such a thing.

Yeah Chip is never going to not run the uptempo offense, and this year he has really fallen in love with the pass. Even the Cards game the rushing attack was working great, they had over 100 yards, and yet he had Foles throw 60 times. It is weird that it took him 1 year in the NFL to decide that passing all the time is the way to go. Going into the Packers game I said they had no chance, Packers are by far the worst possible matchup for the Eagles. If they play again the outcome will be basically the same.

eznark

Banned
NFLPA has some leverage here for the next CBA. My bet is the choose to spend to on less practice time or lessened celebration penalties and Goodell keeps his gavel. They'll get the bubble gum and comic books of bargaining chips instead.

Well ultimately I think that is what most players care about, so I have no problem with it. I would imagine if you polled the players and said would you rather A. work less for no reduction in salary or B. have additional protections in case you sadistically slice open your child's scrotum most players would choose A. Now obviously the Ravens and 49ers would unanimously select B but fuck them.

Yeah Chip is never going to not run the uptempo offense, and this year he has really fallen in love with the pass.
It's idiotic and by far his biggest failing and really the reason I have very little respect for him as a head coach. He'd be probably one of the greatest offensive coordinators in football history if his ego would let him not call plays, but as it is he's just another egotistical college coach who can't adapt to the pro game when necessary.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
MBJSr6D.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Daily reminder that possession when catching a football as an offensive player is not the same as possession when downing a punt.

AxCwCnT.gif

This is not possession and the Cardinals player knew it hence him trying to get the ball inbound to his teammates. This wasn't even the worst call of the game though.
what was the ruling there?

12 of the Lions should have been able to return that ball but my understanding is even he fumbled or anything bad happened the Lions could have still had the ball where it was first touched by the Cardinals?

eznark

Banned
what was the ruling there?

12 of the Lions should have been able to return that ball but my understanding is even he fumbled or anything bad happened the Lions could have still had the ball where it was first touched by the Cardinals?

A ball is "downed" on a punt when the kicking team has possession of the ball. Since the Cardinal caught the ball with both feet at the half yard line and threw it back into the field of play (as opposed to batting it back into the field of play without control) the ball is considered down where the kicking team established control.

Very clear cut, but it was muddled by FOX's in house idiot Mike Perrera who then after the game explained that he was wrong and the call was correct.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
A ball is "downed" on a punt when the kicking team has possession of the ball. Since the Cardinal caught the ball with both feet at the half yard line and threw it back into the field of play (as opposed to batting it back into the field of play without control) the ball is considered down where the kicking team established control.

Very clear cut, but it was muddled by FOX's in house idiot Mike Perrera who then after the game explained that he was wrong and the call was correct.

well then thats another example of the refs applying the rules differently in different games.
I've seen that lots of times and never has it been downed where the first player touched it to throw it back.

Eagles were leading the league in big plays (20+ yards) given up before they played Green Bay. heheheuehhehe

That is by design though. Billy Davis believes in taking away the intermediate stuff and forcing teams to go deep. He says that deep balls are low percentage plays so it is better to focus on the shorter stuff.

eznark

Banned
well then thats another example of the refs applying the rules differently in different games.
I've seen that lots of times and never has it been downed where the first player touched it to throw it back.

I can't recall a time when it hasn't been downed in that situation, but most times the player isn't an idiot and doesn't just throw the ball.

I'd guess you are thinking of situations where the player is leaping and throws it back or when a player bats the ball. If you have examples of similar plays I'd love to see them.

Today has been frustrating as fuck, literally Philip Rivers worst day ever material, so I can't wait to beat a hooker senseless in first person as soon as GTA V is done installing!

jakncoke

Banned
on 11/17/14, jakncoke drag three bottles of Mad Dawg 20/20, deliver 16 pizzas, and failed to go to welding school.

im on the beer wagon atm breh. i could still go to welding school with my current schedule then do something with welding in the afternoon, maybe open a fab shop to make side cash in the afternoons.

Charlie Batch tweeted during the game that a few times Blount did not know the play calls while he was on the field,and was being disciplined for that. Explains why Bell saw so many carries.

Not surprising, going by they way the team plays against shit teams, I doubt Blount is the only one that doesn't know what the friggen plays are. Tomlin should make an example out of him, but he didn't punish him when he and Bell were getting their smoke on earlier, so I doubt anything happens here.

Top Bottom