• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 12 |OT| - Matt Stafford vs. the World

bionic77

Speaking of Tomlin, has a locker room ever ignored a coach after a victory as much as the players did last night? He was the only happy one in the entire room.
Only most NFL locker rooms every week.

Hopefully he relies more on his brains as his looks begin to fade.

gutshot

It's not about slowing the tempo, it's about adjusting to situations as they present themselves. He views his system as being essentially personnel proof and opponent proof and flawless.

It seems like I am overly harsh on on because no one is willing to criticize him so I stand out. Tell me all you want about the health shakes and uptempo practices and music blaring over the loud speakers, the Eagles got fucking humiliated at their own game on Sunday and Chip should be getting shit on for it.

Pundits gave Chip all the credit in the world for Saving Sanchez last week, and this week lament his lack of a guy that fits his system. Ok. Keep moving the goal posts.

He does not view his system as personnel proof. He's had to make changes to his preferred system based on the personnel he has. A good example is going from Vick to Foles last year we saw a big decrease in straight-up zone read plays and they instituted a split zone play which initially looks like a traditional zone read but has a TE (usually James Casey) come across the formation to take out the unblocked edge defender. That play worked really well for us last year and this year Chip added a wrinkle to it where he would have the TE look like he was going across to block but then would slip out into the flat where a dump off would result in an easy 7-8 yard gain.

He also instituted a whole bunch of pro passing concepts into his Oregon offense when he came over (something a lot of doubters predicted he wouldn't be able and/or want to do) so much so that the passing game in Philly's offense looks almost nothing like the passing game in his Oregon offense. So he does adapt his scheme to fit his personnel and the opponent's.

I get that you are trying to be contrarian and going against the grain by hating on Chip. But your criticisms seem not to have evolved past the "lol college coach, gimmick offense" stage when he's already proven that he is a good NFL head coach and his offense works at this level.

Talon

To me he is basically Mike Martz. That's neither a good nor bad thing. He is rigid in the same way that Schottenheimer is rigid, in the same way that honestly, most play designers are rigid. Both sides of the ball, Capers is a great example as well.
They are only comparable in the rigidity of the scheme. However, Martz is 100% about scheme.

Chip is about scheme and how he runs practice. I honestly think the biggest difference he made at Oregon was that his players had very simple parameters on what they could do on, so he could just burn through reps and nail those things down very quickly. Explains why freshman skill position players made immediate impacts up there so consistently.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
0% chance the Vikings would suit him

I kind of hope they'd be dumb enough to pull that because I would never let any Vikings fan forget that they did that.

Hell, I should give them shit for nearly playing him the week it all came out!

:lol

So using Bell as our feature back to run us to victory was another example of dumb luck and not actual thought or planning by our coaches.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Didn't think of it that way, but, yeah, sadly, you're right. Was no grand design by Tomlin, Haley and the rest of the wizards.

eznark

Banned
I get that you are trying to be contrarian and going against the grain by hating on Chip. But your criticisms seem not to have evolved past the "lol college coach, gimmick offense" stage when he's already proven that he is a good NFL head coach and his offense works at this level.

What? I love his offense. It's the best in the league. I think that in the face of teams adapting to him he has done a relatively poor job of reacting. He is a great schemer and as Talon says, the stuff he does during the week seems great. But on game day I am consistently left unimpressed, and Sunday was just the culmination of that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Bye Tate. I'll always remember that one great rushing game you had with us.

Just glad the rookies have been good enough to allow this to happen.

Speaking of Tomlin, has a locker room ever ignored a coach after a victory as much as the players did last night? He was the only happy one in the entire room.

:jnc he was like Icky Woods getting some cold cuts and the Steeler players were the confused customers and store workers.

Somebody else can't update their GTA?

Game is pretty though, not a massive improvement, but a whole lot cleaner and sharper. Smacking somebody silly in first person is sweet.

gutshot

What? I love his offense. It's the best in the league. I think that in the face of teams adapting to him he has done a relatively poor job of reacting. He is a great schemer and as Talon says, the stuff he does during the week seems great. But on game day I am consistently left unimpressed, and Sunday was just the culmination of that.

It's hard for me to even evaluate the offensive gameplan from Sunday because they fell behind so quickly. I blame the loss more on Billy Davis's stupid decision to play man free for most of the game. I don't know what he was thinking there. As I said before the game, I thought they would stay in nickel or dime for most of the game and dare Lacy to beat them. Instead they stayed mostly in their base look and just let Rodgers carve them up. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

bionic77

Didn't think of it that way, but, yeah, sadly, you're right. Was no grand design by Tomlin, Haley and the rest of the wizards.
Yeah we did jack shit in the half time adjustment.

I feel we just fell into that win by dumb luck.

I mean they just blitzed us all game and we had no response as a team. Ben gets that 1st down on the scramble and then the run starts working. Amazingly Haley sticks with it and Bell gets us a victory. Bell really saved our ass last night. Even when the Titans stacked the box he was fucking incredible, making great cuts with very little space. Very Emmitt Smith like.

LevelNth

Banned
Back from Cleveland, very nice stadium there, despite the subpar weather.

Hoyer was unbelievably awful on Sunday, made all the worse seeing it in person.

Fox318

Tomlin isn't a coach.

He is a media figure put in place to deal with the media.

When was the last time he called a play?

I mean they just blitzed us all game and we had no response as a team. Ben gets that 1st down on the scramble and then the run starts working. Amazingly Haley sticks with it and Bell gets us a victory. Bell really saved our ass last night. Even when the Titans stacked the box he was fucking incredible, making great cuts with very little space. Very Emmitt Smith like.
Yeah our Run D sucks. That's how Browns came back on us. We suck on the run. Metts did ok after the shaky start. Wish we had receivers that could catch

When are waiver claims due by? 4pm est?
Edit: Fox keeps going on that Tomlin isn't a head coach
Back from Cleveland, very nice stadium there, despite the subpar weather.
Stadium is way better since the upgrades added this offseason. I would have been surprised to here someone say this before lol

bionic77

Tomlin isn't a coach.

He is a media figure put in place to deal with the media.

When was the last time he called a play?
He does make decisions on the field.

Every time we have a 50 yard FG at home he always makes the wrong call to kick it instead of punting or going for it on 4th down. We have lost several games this way.

He has also called plays on defense in the past. Sometimes it has worked and sometimes it has not. I also remember him calling a few plays on offense as well. But he doesn't do it often. Or at least he says he called for them.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

They made a great half time adjustment. They stopped letting Ben throw deep. He was ass last night.

Bowser

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 2m2 minutes ago
Sure looks like a tweet from WR Jason Avant's agent @DHendrickson41 means he's been waived by the Panthers.

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 2m2 minutes ago
Avant did somewhat speak out against the playcalling Sunday, fwiw. Will get to ask Rivera about it shortly.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 35s35 seconds ago
And yes, that's indeed the case. WR Jason Avant waived by the Panthers today.

lol Ron you FUCKING PUSS

Avant after the game:

“I’ve been in the league a long time. I know two things. You never want to give a team a chance to win a game, with how much time was left on the clock. And asking a kicker to make a 50-yard field goal with the game on the line is rough sledding,” Avant said, via Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. “If that’s the only option, yes. But if it’s not, you want to get as close as you can and think score and play to score a touchdown. Because I’d rather the team have to score a touchdown to win the game than to have to kick a field goal. It’s just a lot different. It’s a 30-yard difference.”

eznark

Banned
Did he solve his fumbling problems that he had in college?

the_program.jpg

Thread needs way more Program references.

smh my fantasy team is cursed...I traded for Ben Tate because AP got suspended and my other RBs were injured...and now Tate doesn't even have a team

That is by design though. Billy Davis believes in taking away the intermediate stuff and forcing teams to go deep. He says that deep balls are low percentage plays so it is better to focus on the shorter stuff.
Which would be fine unless you're playing a big-play offense and/or Aaron Rodgers.

eznark

Banned
Can someone explain to me why calling Peterson's discipline a "PR move" is meant as an insult to the league?

Isn't that the very fucking nature of the code of conduct policy?

Top Bottom