• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 12 |OT| - Matt Stafford vs. the World

iori9999

Banned
Put it like this.. Jason Maxiell of the Pistons was my most hated Detroit player along with Johan Franzen and several Tigers like Ryan Raburn, Joe Nathan Brad Penny etc.. Stafford is almost in that category for me..

Doorman

Stafford is not the problem with this team. Idiot Lions fans want to unload the guy cuz they think there's a ton of elite QBs waiting around to play.

You guys think moving Stafford is simple? It sets the team back a minimum of three years to rebuild. Abd that's only if you hit on picking his replacement, which all Lions fans should know is not guaranteed at all. Not even likely, really.

Stafford is hardly the team's only problem. It's not like we get rid of him and we're instantly Super Bowl contenders...he's a mediocre QB, that doesn't mean it's impossible to win with a guy like that. The problem is that he was the first overall draft pick, and is one of the highest paid QBs in the league. He's paid to elevate the team, and the team is built around him being a star player that spreads the ball to an arsenal of weapons. That's not what he is. The team either needs to readjust its priorities in how it builds around Stafford, or replace him with another quarterback that's more capable of pulling off the offensive style that the team apparently wants.

Either way involves a multi-year building process so do with that what you will. The salary layout of the team is not one that leads to sustainable success, that's what the past two years-worth of performance have been screaming at us about.

Stafford is not the problem with this team. Idiot Lions fans want to unload the guy cuz they think there's a ton of elite QBs waiting around to play.

You guys think moving Stafford is simple? It sets the team back a minimum of three years to rebuild. Abd that's only if you hit on picking his replacement, which all Lions fans should know is not guaranteed at all. Not even likely, really.

We can't unload him. And its not because I think "OMG WE CAN GO GET A ELITE QB!" because we can't get one. There are not a ton of elite QBs out there, be it in the NFL (and the ones that are are already locked down) or in the NCAA (Mariota is the only guy in the next two years of drafts that's probably going to make it long-term in the league).

But as much as the O-line is a problem because they're able to keep him upright and can't block well enough to get a run game going, and as much as the secondary is still being held together by duct tape ... we have a QB who is too inconsistent with his play, who can't win the big game, who can't beat anyone with a winning record. Who has two incredible WRs in Megatron and Tate that inflate his stats and make him a better player than he really is.

If we drop him, you're right: three years of rebuilding at leas, probably closer to five IMO when you look at what other parts we also would need to replace and our cap space situation over the next few years. But if we keep him, then those three years will be a waste anyways because this team will continue to underachieve and go absolutely nowhere. They will continue to have these late season collapses and they'll continue to miss the playoffs year in and year out.

I want to have faith in this team, but I have no faith in Stafford. I haven't for at least the last season cumulatively (since they collapsed last year) and he's shown me nothing this year that gives me hope. We're stuck with him either way, and my comments concerning dumping him are in jest (I know we are stuck with him for the next two seasons at least because he has a monster cap hit if we cut or trade him). I just wish there was some hope with Stafford, because I increasingly feel like there is none.

Stafford is hardly the team's only problem. It's not like we get rid of him and we're instantly Super Bowl contenders...he's a mediocre QB, that doesn't mean it's impossible to win with a guy like that. The problem is that he was the first overall draft pick, and is one of the highest paid QBs in the league. He's paid to elevate the team, and the team is built around him being a star player that spreads the ball to an arsenal of weapons. That's not what he is. The team either needs to readjust its priorities in how it builds around Stafford, or replace him with another quarterback that's more capable of pulling off the offensive style that the team apparently wants.

Either way involves a multi-year building process so do with that what you will. The salary layout of the team is not one that leads to sustainable success, that's what the past two years-worth of performance have been screaming at us about.

Door sums it up pretty well. He has the weapons to be great. He has, somewhere inside of him, the actual given talent to be better than he is right now. But he's not performing up to the expectations of what he needs to be, and something has got to give.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know who I want to win in the broncos or dolphins game

iori9999

Banned

+1

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I want to hear more about how many different guys Tom Brady does it with in NE alone...

iori9999

Banned
I think I'm going to turn the TV off and do some HW.. This is almost as bad as watching the Michigan Wolverines and that disaster..

Top Bottom