• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 13 |OT| California Gurls

Fantomex

Poor Kave. I almost feel sorry for him. Then I remember all the shit he talked and then I laugh and I laugh and I laugh.

mja6X1h.jpg

It's Krazy how Kave has evolved from the sweet guy he used to be. Rooting for the Browns can really change a man.

"See the luck I've had, can make a good man bad" - Morrisey

As I said, I'm doing the Week 14 thread but if someone wants to do the Week 15 and 16 thread, that'd be cool.

I think I'm going to be out of town the next two weekends.

MechDX

Welcome to the fold, brother. We cured squicken of his wickedness as we shall cure you.

I have been here all along. I was a fan of Johnny U when they were in Baltimore, Geoff George was under rated, Peyton should have more rings if it wasn't for the cheating Pats.

Where is that Mallettar wearing slut BG at?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's Krazy how Kave has evolved from the sweet guy he used to be. Rooting for the Browns can really change a man.

"See the luck I've had, can make a good man bad" - Morrisey

It started with Pettine giving him unnecessary hope.

Now, all that needs to happen is for the Dolphins to lose tonight and we're right back in the playoff picture! Until we go 1-3 for the rest of the season, that is. Because 8-8 is our density.

JABEE

So I'm reading the Joe Posnanski piece on Priest Holmes and I came across this:

Now it's obviously one side of the story, who knows if that's how it went down, and every GM/Coach wants "their guy(s)," but odds are stacked against a lot of guys simply because coaches have this "image" of their "ideal" player and ignore what they have in front of them. Draft slots and $, often win out. Just sad to read shit like this.

Edit: Saw that Brady gif earlier, hilarious. How the fuck does that happen?

Yeah. The same thing still exists today, where smaller backs or receivers are passed over because they can't take the punishment or don't fit the coach's ideal player.

Holmes also sounds like he's really messed up. He's still relatively young. The symptoms he's feeling from the repeated head trauma and nerve damage he encountered will probably only get worse.

It's also an interesting read when you think about the fish bowl of the NFL. Everything is provided to the players so these 21 year old guys that enter the league never really learn how to live on their own as an adult. Falling for fake health insurance scams etc. The NFLPA really needs to do a better job of setting up retired players and NFL rejects to survive in the real world.

WanderingWind

Yeah. The same thing still exists today, where smaller backs or receivers are passed over because they can't take the punishment or don't fit the coach's ideal player.

Holmes also sounds like he's really messed up. He's still relatively young. The symptoms he's feeling from the repeated head trauma and nerve damage he encountered will probably only get worse.

It's also an interesting read when you think about the fish bowl of the NFL. Everything is provided to the players so these 21 year old guys that enter the league never really learn how to live on their own as an adult. Falling for fake health insurance scams etc. The NFLPA really needs to do a better job of setting up retired players and NFL rejects to survive in the real world.

You're right about the medical plan, but I disagree with the education piece. It's not on the NFL to ensure they actually picked up a book on their way to their college "degree." Just like every other slice of life, you have those who put in the effort and go on to become even wealthier after their playing time and you have those who are just doorknobs. If the schools stopped letting these dipshits through with phony degrees this wouldn't be as big of an issue.

The lack of a medical plan is craziness though. That's simply evil on their part.

Trey

You're right about the medical plan, but I disagree with the education piece. It's not on the NFL to ensure they actually picked up a book on their way to their college "degree." Just like every other slice of life, you have those who put in the effort and go on to become even wealthier after their playing time and you have those who are just doorknobs. If the schools stopped letting these dipshits through with phony degrees this wouldn't be as big of an issue.

It's not that simple. The NFL is an establishment that enjoys a fresh supply of people who are groomed from a young age to do nothing but play in their league, and scholastic pursuits are at best tangential to that goal.

It's not the NFL's problem insofar as they're not being directly held responsible for it, but the fact remains that the culture surrounding their sport is toxic to its core.

WanderingWind

It's not that simple. The NFL is an establishment that enjoys a fresh supply of people who are groomed from a young age to do nothing but play in their league, and scholastic pursuits are at best tangential to that goal.

It's not the NFL's problem insofar as they're not being directly held responsible for it, but the fact remains that the culture surrounding their sport is toxic to its core.

I mean, there is nothing complicated about it. It really is that simple. Colleges want the funding college ball brings, so they give players fake degrees that they didn't earn. It's absolutely toxic, but it's not complicated in the least. The NFL also takes in people who actually earned their degrees. It's produced government officials, entrepreneurs and the like. Those people either studied while they were in college, or as we've seen time and time again, went back to college to get an actual education after their days were done.

JABEE

I mean, there is nothing complicated about it. It really is that simple. Colleges want the funding college ball brings, so they give players fake degrees that they didn't earn. It's absolutely toxic, but it's not complicated in the least. The NFL also takes in people who actually earned their degrees. It's produced government officials, entrepreneurs and the like. Those people either studied while they were in college, or as we've seen time and time again, went back to college to get an actual education after their days were done.

I was talking more about the NFLPA trying their best to guide both failed and retired football players in a way that brings dignity to their profession. I don't think it's the NFL's responsibility necessarily.

I do hold the NCAA and the college football programs responsible for running a multi-billion dollar entertainment business on what is essentially free labor. They exist as a cabal leveraging their role as a gate-keeper to a professional sports career. These players would often not be accepted to these schools if it wasn't for football.

Football is the focus, and the sheet of paper that is handed to them is essentially valueless. It's not a fair exchange for what are essentially employees constituting the performers in a billion dollar business. They are the actors in this case. College players need to be allowed to unionize. They are employees of these programs. They are recruited. They are valuable on the free market. The only thing capping their real wages is the current monopolistic anti-competitive nature of the NCAA. Everyone agrees not to pay players market value in order to protect their business model and product.

WanderingWind

I was talking more about the NFLPA trying their best to guide both failed and retired football players in a way that brings dignity to their profession. I don't think it's the NFL's responsibility necessarily.

I do hold the NCAA and the college football programs responsible for running a multi-billion dollar entertainment business on what is essentially free labor. They exist as a cabal leveraging their role as a gate-keeper to a professional sports career. These players would often not be accepted to these schools if it wasn't for football.

Football is the focus, and the sheet of paper that is handed to them is essentially valueless. It's not a fair exchange for what are essentially employees constituting the performers in a billion dollar business. They are the actors in this case. College players need to be allowed to unionize. They are employees of these programs. They are recruited. They are valuable on the free market. The only thing capping their real wages is the current monopolistic anti-competitive nature of the NCAA. Everyone agrees not to pay players market value in order to protect their business model and product.

Agreed on all counts.

Hey can one of you hipsters explain soccer to me. Like how does one lose 2-1 but advance to the championship? I know it has something to do with we score more goals in the first game or whatever.

I mean with the MLB/NBA/NHL you know one win = one win regardless of score, but soccer is weird.

How when they beat Seattle?

Because we have a better conference record than Dallas, and we have better common record than Detriot. Which really doesn't mean shit until all the conference games are played....

The lack of a medical plan is craziness though. That's simply evil on their part.

Considering the NFL is complicit in the NCAA's student-athlete sham by forcing some stupid age limit I'd say they do share some responsibility in the players being herded into bullshit courses just so they can remain eligible and showcase their skills for the potential future employers in what is a glorified unpaid/slave labor developmental league.

WanderingWind

Considering the NFL is complicit in the NCAA's student-athlete sham by forcing some stupid age limit I'd say they do share some responsibility in the players being herded into bullshit courses just so they can remain eligible and showcase their skills for the potential future employers in what is a glorified unpaid/slave labor developmental league.

I don't think the age limit is stupid at all. This isn't the NBA, injuries are a real thing. The first time some 18 year is forced out due to horrible injuries and without a college degree, that's the beginning of the end of the sport. The way it stands now, at least the NFL is forcing them into college. What they do with that opportunity is up to them and yes, the extremely fucked up colleges they attend.

The NFL certainly benefits from the NCAA's messed up system, but even if tomorrow they decided to throw their weight against it, the NCAA would just laugh themselves silly. They don't give a shit about the NFL and kids will never stop wanting to play ball to get their so their program isn't going anywhere.

I don't think the age limit is stupid at all. This isn't the NBA, injuries are a real thing. The first time some 18 year is forced out due to horrible injuries and without a college degree, that's the beginning of the end of the sport. The way it stands now, at least the NFL is forcing them into college. What they do with that opportunity is up to them and yes, the extremely fucked up colleges they attend.

The NFL certainly benefits from the NCAA's messed up system, but even if tomorrow they decided to throw their weight against it, the NCAA would just laugh themselves silly. They don't give a shit about the NFL and kids will never stop wanting to play ball to get their so their program isn't going anywhere.

The NFL could take some of the billions they make and create a real developmental league for 18-21 year olds, so they could at least earn a living playing football rather than pretending to be "student-athletes", but why would they when the NCAA does it for them for free? Don't kid yourself the NFL and NCAA are in on this shit together.

What a day.

Good triumphed over evil. All is well in the world. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight.

New thread tomorrow. Night kids.

RELAYER

Banned
Next week is going to be rough.

It's finals week, have my two hardest finals on Monday, then that night I have to watch us play Green Bay.
I guess the bright side is I won't waste time Sunday watching football and will study instead.

Tom Penny

Fitz threw 6 TD's? That's 3 this year and Rodgers did his in a half. In ten years if you don't throw at least 35 a year you are mediocre.

Respect

There's a conspiracy theory going on that Belichick tanked this game because he believes we're gonna see them in the SB, and thus wants Green Bay confident that they can easily beat us.

I think the saddest thing is, people actually are trying to justify that it's even plausible.

/facepalm

I would have preferred a win over the loss.

Indeed, but not an unexpected loss though. O-line had a rough game, run and pass blocking was poor overall, Packers really dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides. Game shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Going in I felt like NE really needed at least a couple turnovers to win, they got none.

eznark

Banned
There's a conspiracy theory going on that Belichick tanked this game because he believes we're gonna see them in the SB, and thus wants Green Bay confident that they can easily beat us.

I think the saddest thing is, people actually are trying to justify that it's even plausible.

It's amazing to me that people take Dan Shaughnessy seriously. A low rent, regional Skip Bayless who generally resorts to trolling his own fanbase.

Not sure but if he throws 6 TD's a game the Lions will be unstoppable.

Matt Stafford threw four touchdowns in the entire month of November.

ShaneB

Was the Broncos/Chiefs game worth watching? I have it recorded.

It's certainly a more interesting game if you have a horse in the AFC playoff race, but in my opinion it was still a fun game despite the result. Some good defence on both sides, solid running game by CJ Anderson.

eznark

Banned
Packer wide outs only had 265 yards, 16 catches and a touchdown.

Congrats to the Patriots vaunted secondary for shutting down the Packers wide receivers.

Top Bottom