• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 13 |OT| California Gurls

Tom Penny

I don't understand this team.

Easily shut down 4 of the most talented receiving corps in the league.
Fall apart against Green Bay.

Stand up well against 3 of the best front seven in the league. Fall apart against Green Bay.

I guess I just made the mistake in believing our defense still wasn't a giant walking liability.

Get off the field on 3rd down. They didn't. That's how. Denver racked up tons of passing yard but were in the 30's % on 3rd down.

bionic77

What Macbook did you get?

Also, Lakers won bitches!!!!11
Kobe is rounding back into form. I think he is going to look pretty good in another 2 months.

The only bad thing is he plays with Jeremy Lin and a bunch of other garbage players.

That said 25 wins is within reach! I can taste it!

And no Macbook, new iMac. I am going to roll into Starbucks with it like a boss and enjoy their incredibly slow wifi.

bionic77

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers/

Bedard is so much better than anyone else. Great article.

McCarthy is one of the best coaches in football and has been for a long time. He gets overlooked because he has great QB's, but I don't think their greatness is a happy accident. McCarthy is probably the second best coach in football right now to Arians.
So are you telling me Rodgers is a system qb?

I am confused.

Also why didn't you mention Tomlin in the conversation of best coaches in the game?

bionic77

Previous year defenses would've gave up 50 points to the packers. If it wasn't for the defense that game would've been a blowout.
Do you really believe the defense is going to stop the Packers or anyone else in the RZ that frequently?

If their defense was so good why didn't they actually stop the Packers in the first half before they got to the redzone?

Field goals count too.

I think the correct way to interpret that game was that the Packers were the better team but let the Patriots hang around. Fortunately neither their qb nor coach was able to take advantage of the Packers generosity/incompetence.

What was really crazy to me yesterday was the contrast in QB play. On one side you've got one of the best QB's of all time tossing accurate dimes all over the field with a flick of the wrist, on the other you've got a formerly great QB struggling to maintain the high level of play he has been known for throughout his career.

The Pats offense is set up to succeed with what Brady currently is, but there's no denying the gap in pure athletic skill between him and Rodgers.

To be fair, Rodgers kind of does this to all opposing QB's, but with Brady also in the discussion for MVP it makes the contrast more striking.

eznark

Banned
Rodgers actually left a lot of points on the board. People are praising him because yes he was awesome, but his first quarter in particular was off and it cost the Packers a lot of points. He also missed to Nelson on two slants in the second half that would've been chain movers on drives that ended up stalling. Overall obviously you have to be happy with his performance, but it was less than we've come to expect.

Rodgers is impossible to defend. The only way you can get him off his tame, is if you can generate pressure without blitzing, a skill that most teams can not do. Unless the Seahawks offense awakens, I don't see a single team in the NFC that can stop this team.

Hell, I don't see a single team in the NFL that can stop this team. They are rolling at the right time.

eznark

Banned
Rodgers is impossible to defend. The only way you can get him off his tame, is if you can generate pressure without blitzing, a skill that most teams can not do. Unless the Seahawks offense awakens, I don't see a single team in the NFC that can stop this team.

Hell, I don't see a single team in the NFL that can stop this team. They are rolling at the right time.

Lots of teams have good front fours that can disrupt the Packers. Seattle, Detroit, San Fran, hell Buffalo and Miami.

Do you really believe the defense is going to stop the Packers or anyone else in the RZ that frequently?

If their defense was so good why didn't they actually stop the Packers in the first half before they got to the redzone?

Field goals count too.

I think the correct way to interpret that game was that the Packers were the better team but let the Patriots hang around. Fortunately neither their qb nor coach was able to take advantage of the Packers generosity/incompetence.
The field goals kept the Patriots in the game.

Tom Penny

What was really crazy to me yesterday was the contrast in QB play. On one side you've got one of the best QB's of all time tossing accurate dimes all over the field with a flick of the wrist, on the other you've got a formerly great QB struggling to maintain the high level of play he has been known for throughout his career.

The Pats offense is set up to succeed with what Brady currently is, but there's no denying the gap in pure athletic skill between him and Rodgers.

To be fair, Rodgers kind of does this to all opposing QB's, but with Brady also in the discussion for MVP it makes the contrast more striking.

Rodgers is already arguably the best passer in history no matter who you put him against when it comes to accuracy and the types of throws he can make that others simply can't. He's also the most accurate QB I've ever seen anytime he rolls out of the pocket which adds to his greatness.

Hey friends.
Mech's spiral into insanity and irrelevance has been almost more shocking and abrupt than Cam Newton's. It's truly a been a sad, overlooked story from the 2014 NFL GAF season. I remember a time not long ago when Mech was a totally rational guy with a hatred of his QB and head coach. Unfortunately, it seems he was unable to contain that hatred and it spilled out, overtaking his life and his senses. An irrational and uncalled for hatred of Manziel really should have alerted all of us to something being wrong. He's gone from Texan, to Patriot to Colt fan, from a lover of Fitz to a sad misguided believer in Mallett to a wounded, broken shell of a man.

We're pulling for you mech. You can beat this. You're in our prayers.

#mechstrong2015
I saw it coming a long time ago, I tried to put him down.

Zeke

All the games I saw yesterday sucked. Except the packers game but I feel asleep during parts of it. Seahawks better God Damn win this week.

Top 10 worst Giants losses under Tom Coughlin. Yesterdays game is already at number 3.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...rank-worst-tom-coughlin-era-article-1.2028588

1. Eagles 38, Giants 31, Dec. 19, 2010
DeSean Jackson becomes first player in NFL history to win a game with a punt return as time expires, taking it 65 yards and a few extra as he runs parallel to goal line to make sure clock runs out. Giants blew 31-10 lead with 8:17 to go. With 12 seconds to go in tie game, Matt Dodge punts line drive to Jackson as Coughlin runs on field and screams in punter’s face before Jackson even reaches end zone. Giants could have eliminated Eagles but instead miss playoffs at 10-6, losing tiebreaker to eventual champion Packers.

2. Panthers 23, Giants 0, Jan. 8, 2006
Giants go 11-5 under second-year QB Eli Manning but get shut out in home playoff game, managing just nine first downs and five turnovers. After the game, Tiki Barber rips Coughlin, the man who turned running back’s career around, over game plan.

3. Jaguars 25, Giants 24, Nov. 30, 2014
No playoffs or much of anything on the line. Just an inexcusable collapse against a dead team that could mark the end of an era.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How come there is no hype around Manziel about to carry the Browns to the playoffs?

I'm assuming this is a joke. ESPN announcers (go watch the game clips on NFL.com when you got a sec) were literally about to orgasm over Manziel getting playing time. He's the new Tebow and everybody will hate him by end of the week.

Colasante

How come there is no hype around Manziel about to carry the Browns to the playoffs?

Because they're the fourth best team in the division and on the outside looking in with such a crowded collection of wild card hopefuls. If the Browns beat the Colts though, look out.

Hammer24

Banned
Josh McCown is our man.

dalai-lama-laugh.gif

bionic77

Rodgers is already arguably the best passer in history no matter who you put him against when it comes to accuracy and the types of throws he can make that others simply can't. He's also the most accurate QB I've ever seen anytime he rolls out of the pocket which adds to his greatness.
You can't really compare different eras in football because they change the rules so damn often.

All you can really say is that Rodgers is the best qb in the game currently.

Just like it was Manning before him and Farve before him, etc.

Montana will remain the gold standard for me until someone outgreats him.

TheFatOne

I don't understand this team.

Easily shut down 4 of the most talented receiving corps in the league.
Fall apart against Green Bay.

Stand up well against 3 of the best front seven in the league. Fall apart against Green Bay.

I guess I just made the mistake in believing our defense still wasn't a giant walking liability.
Wtf are you talking about. Only reason the game was even close was the defense. What were you realistically expecting? Pats defense did solid for what they are. They don't have the pass rush to hang with a qb like Rodgers at home. Packers are like the pats absolutely devastating front running teams. You get down big early and kiss your chances of winning goodbye. That was the pats mistake. Defense is still absolutely legit they just aren't elite. That's perfectly fine. They have a good offense and solid defense. Pats are still a great overall team. They catch the right matchups and they are in the Superbowl. Don't get why people are down after one loss. They lost to a good team on the road, and if Brady didn't have his head stuck up his ass they have a chance late.

LevelNth

Banned
There is no better schemer/gameplanner of the passing game in football today than McCarthy.

Having Rodgers execute it overshadows that.

brentech

- With two TD passes on Sunday, Rodgers now has thrown 220 TD passes in his career with just 55 INTs, bringing his TD/INT ratio to 4.00 (No. 1 in NFL history).

- QB Aaron Rodgers extended two NFL records by bringing his streak at home to 360 consecutive passing attempts without an interception and 31 consecutive touchdown passes without an INT.

- The Packers led 13-0 at the end of the first quarter on Sunday. In its last five home games, Green Bay has outscored its opponents 79-0 in the first quarter and 151-23 in the first half.
Some notables

Tom Penny

You can't really compare different eras in football because they change the rules so damn often.

All you can really say is that Rodgers is the best qb in the game currently.

Just like it was Manning before him and Farve before him, etc.

Montana will remain the gold standard for me until someone outgreats him.

I'm talking about strictly throwing a football. His accuracy in the pocket is basically the best. Outside the pocket or on the move nobody is close to him.

bionic77

I'm talking about strictly throwing a football. His accuracy in the pocket is basically the best. Outside the pocket or on the move nobody is close to him.
Ben is actually pretty amazing on the run.

To the point where most teams want to keep him in the pocket.

You should watch more football.

Tom Penny

Ben is actually pretty amazing on the run.

To the point where most teams want to keep him in the pocket.

You should watch more football.

Rodgers is well known to be the most accurate passer outside the pocket..but If it makes you feel better Ben is good just not as good as Rodgers...

They have to be the most inconsistent team in the league this season. Just insane how much they fluctuate week to week.

They're pretty consistent in their inconsistency. Ben Roethlisberger.

Only difference between the Super Bowl teams and now is that Ben doesn't have a top 3 defense to ride him through his inconsistent patches.

Top Bottom