• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 14 |OT| Best In The World

After taking NFL by storm, RG III, Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson hitting obstacles

Long article, but pretty pessimistic on Cam, which is the surprise
Live by the read option, die by the read option.

It is another great example about how the situation and system a young QB falls into has just as much to do with success/failure as his talent. By ending up in Washington and running a fad offense, RGIII had a great first season, and was doomed to be out of the league in 5 years. Cam's never figured out how to be a consistent QB, and with his lack of weapons and constant changes in coaching, he probably never will. Thanks to Capers throwing games against the Niners, Kaep got a big contract despite being shit, and they let their real QB leave for KC.

Only Wussell will escape the read-option carnage!

Live by the read option, die by the read option.

It is another great example about how the situation and system a young QB falls into has just as much to do with success/failure as his talent. By ending up in Washington and running a fad offense, RGIII had a great first season, and was doomed to be out of the league in 5 years. Cam's never figured out how to be a consistent QB, and with his lack of weapons and constant changes in coaching, he probably never will. Thanks to Capers throwing games against the Niners, Kaep got a big contract despite being shit, and they let their real QB leave for KC.

Only Wussell will escape the read-option carnage!

we ran the read option heavily in 1 game in kaps career: the first playoff game against greenbay. probably would have only run it a couple times if your defense wasn't so god awful but as the old madden saying goes if you find a money play keep running it!

in the NFC title game against the falcons (again, another shitty defense but they were rated ok that year) kap ran exactly 1 time, and it was on a scrambled not the read option.

there is a weird thought on kap, probably perpetuated by talking heads and the people who watch those talking heads eating it up, that he was a read option QB in the NFL. this is absolutely not true. as i said, we had it sprinkled here and there but the only game where we ran it a lot was that first green bay game.

kaps current problem isn't that the league "caught up" to the read option (he never relied on it!) it's that he locks onto receivers and is not very accurate. the final problem that no one really seems to mention is that we have NO speed guys. this is a failure by management. kap has probably the biggest arm in the league and we have a bunch of guys who can't get deep. the only speed guy he had (and he was a "speed" guy relative to those who were covering him, linebackers) was VD who has disappeared.

kap needs to work on his accuracy and i think if he toned down the 100 mph fast balls and developed some touch it might help that but who knows. he had his chance to win us a superbowl and he failed! luckily we can cut him after next year with minimal issue due to his contract structure. he will be 29 by that time and if he hasn't shown any growth then we need to move on. Billick will develop our next QB the right way!

I actually agree with you, mostly, but this is NFL-GAF and it seemed like my post was low on hyperbole. So I added some.

My real criticism of him is that I just don't think he's a very good QB (except against the Packers). I think his early playoff successes over-inflated his value, and that he never was, or will be, better than a good backup who shows flashes of brilliance.

I actually agree with you, mostly, but this is NFL-GAF and it seemed like my post was low on hyperbole. So I added some.

My real criticism of him is that I just don't think he's a very good QB (except against the Packers). I think his early playoff successes over-inflated his value, and that he never was, or will be, better than a good backup who shows flashes of brilliance.

if he doesn't improve his accuracy (and i have no reason to believe he will) then this is correct. the coaches film from the thanksgiving game said all you needed to know: people were open plenty against the seachickens, and he did nothing about it. our offensive coordinator is a joke and doesn't know how to call a decent game but that doesn't absolve kap from missing the opportunities that are there. i understand you could go through every snap of every QB and pick out things they missed but it was just brutal in a game that we really needed

bionic77

Has anyone ever significantly improved their accuracy?

That seems like something you either have or you don't.

What gets better is your understanding of defenses and how to anticipate things.

And fuck Christmas shopping. No idea what to get for my staff. This holiday should be abolished.

Has anyone ever significantly improved their accuracy?

That seems like something you either have or you don't.

What gets better is your understanding of defenses and how to anticipate things.

And fuck Christmas shopping. No idea what to get for my staff. This holiday should be abolished.

get them each a $5 Taco Bell gift card. Fuck'em.

TDK and now TDKR on TNT.

Eff GAF these are awesome movies.

a240f8e2db9c87f4e6b620ffb4386054.gif

bionic77

get them each a $5 Taco Bell gift card. Fuck'em.
I want them to continue doing a good job on my work.

Got them 100-200 gift cards the last 2 years because I was too busy to shop for them.

This year I am trying to buy a gift but it is hard to shop for adults. Most buy the stuff they really want.

And Rises gets too much hate. Saw 2nd half the other day and it still worked for me. Great ending to a great trilogy.

Got them 100-200 gift cards the last 2 years because I was too busy to shop for them.

This year I am trying to buy a gift but it is hard to shop for adults. Most buy the stuff they really want.

And Rises gets too much hate. Saw 2nd half the other day and it still worked for me. Great ending to a great trilogy.

Then get them all Vitas

Syrinx

Buy them booze or wine. Safe bet if you have no other options.

Greg

tell them you made a donation to my greatness fund in their name

That was the whole eff GAF part. Slowing down fight scenes to show that it isn't real is the dumbest of dumb.

The fight scenes suck in real time too. The whole movie is a pile of shit, no matter how much bionic tries to convince himself it's not.

Are there Bane costumes for babies? I need to dress my son up for no reason

This, on the other hand, would be adorable.

Farooq

Banned
Gruden is garbage. His "guy" Cousins has played like crap under him and he's been doing nothing but trying to turn RG3 into a scape goat for his terrible debut season.

Is it Gruden's fault that Griffin has regressed so much he needs remedial quarterback training?

Coaches spend tremendous amount of time on game-planning and scheming. Gruden gets his players open, he gives Griffin clearly defined reads and Griffin does not take them because he has problems with his mechanics and is not seeing the field clearly. It is easy to see why Gruden is frustrated if Griffin cannot decipher through basic route concepts and is not syncing his drops with the timing of the routes.

bionic77

The fight scenes suck in real time too. The whole movie is a pile of shit, no matter how much bionic tries to convince himself it's not.

This, on the other hand, would be adorable.
It is bloated but it is great for the 3rd movie in a trilogy.

I don't give a fuck what some internet loser says after watching every frame of the movie to pick out how editing and special effects work. Yes we know it's fake. This is like my dad desperately trying to convince me pro wrestling is fake (I had this argument 20 years ago even though Ninja and DM went through this shit last week).

It's tough to make 3 great movies out of the same material. Nolan made 2.5 and that is better than 99.9999999% of trilogies.

Panthers aren't really built on the run they just waste half of their payroll on backs.

Last year they absolutely were built on running the ball to control the clock. That's why Cam had the lowest amount of pass attempts and yards for his career.

This year they aren't built on anything because the offensive line can't protect a fly and the running backs alternate weeks of health.

Based off of the fact that the line is a wash, the weapons consist of Greg Olsen and Kelvin Benjamin, he didn't have an offseason, Shula's the WOAT offensive commissioner, and every part of his body is broken, I'm willing to give Cam a pass for this year. You all will say that a great QB elevates the people around him but I don't think it's as simple as plug in Aaron Rodgers and the Panthers are a 9 win team. All that skill doesn't mean much if he's on his back on the snap.

But I'm not going to just blindly plop $100 million at Cam's feet either. Next year is put up or shut up. He should have a revamped offensive line with a shiny new top flight offensive tackle and new weapons on the outside, with a full offseason to heal.

Is it Gruden's fault that Griffin has regressed so much he needs remedial quarterback training?

Coaches spend tremendous amount of time on game-planning and scheming. Gruden gets his players open, he gives Griffin clearly defined reads and Griffin does not take them because he has problems with his mechanics and is not seeing the field clearly. It is easy to see why Gruden is frustrated if Griffin cannot decipher through basic route concepts and is not syncing his drops with the timing of the routes.

Yes and No. Injuries and mental/confidence issues have had a big effect on Griffin, as has lack of making proper development and adjustments. But coaching is also a part of that, and that's on Gruden. Also my issues with Gruden aren't just RG3, but that the whole team is crap and that's on him. All of this drama with RG3 has masked the fact that this team is 3 and fucking 9 and, even though Gruden was brought in as some kind of offensive/QB guru, the offense has been garbage all year. Was reading on a blog earlier that this offense is 1-39 on 3rd and longs this year. ONE FOR THIRTY NINE ON CONVERTING THIRD AND LONGS. This team is terrible and Gruden has been trying to get a pass on that by turning RG3 into a scapegoat and making this season about Robert.

It's tough to make 3 great movies out of the same material. Nolan made 2.5 and that is better than 99.9999999% of trilogies.

Better third movies than DKR:

BTTF III
Return of the King
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Toy Story 3
Naked Gun 33 11/3
Die Hard With a Vengeance
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Alien 3
Army of Darkness
Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome
Bourne Ultimatum
Return of the Jedi
Major League: Back to the Minors
Transporter 3
The World's End
Predators
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3
Karate Kid 3
Jaws 3-D
Rambo 3
Police Academy 3
Lethal Weapon 3
Superman 3 (provided the plot for Office Space which makes it great)
Mission Impossible III
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (Was this the third movie in the series? Can't remember)
Debbie Does Dallas 3
Red Shoe Diaries 3
Rocky III
Pretty much anything else with a 3 in the title.

In Nolan's defence, DKR isn't quite as bad as Smokey and the Bandit 3.

Sanjuro

Better third movies than DKR:

BTTF III - No
Return of the King - No
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Eh
Toy Story 3 - Yes
Naked Gun 33 11/3 - No
Die Hard With a Vengeance - No
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Doesn't really count.
Alien 3 - No
Army of Darkness - Sure
Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome - No
Bourne Ultimatum - ?
Return of the Jedi - Eh
Major League: Back to the Minors - No
Transporter 3 - No
The World's End - Yes. Doesn't Count. But, yes. Yes.
Predators - No
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3 - No
Karate Kid 3 - No
Jaws 3-D - No
Rambo 3 - No
Police Academy 3 - No
Lethal Weapon 3 - No
Superman 3 (provided the plot for Office Space which makes it great) - lol
Mission Impossible III - Yes
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (Was this the third movie in the series? Can't remember) - Doesn't count!
Debbie Does Dallas 3 - No...yes?
Red Shoe Diaries 3 - No
Rocky III - Yes
Pretty much anything else with a 3 in the title. - ?

In Nolan's defence, DKR isn't quite as bad as Smokey and the Bandit 3.

Sanjuro

I didn't ruin anything. There was a giant post with some worse sequels.

Plus he listed a bunch of bullshit films which aren't part of trilogies. If that was the case, where is GOOOLLDDDDDFINNNGAAAAAA?

I didn't ruin anything. There was a giant post with some worse sequels.

Plus he listed a bunch of bullshit films which aren't part of trilogies. If that was the case, where is GOOOLLDDDDDFINNNGAAAAAA?

Couldn't remember the name of the third Bond movie off the top of my head. I could go to wikipedia and just copy and paste the third movie of every series ever made.

Except Smokey and the Bandit 3 and Stars Wars Ep III. Or the third Pink Panther because iirc that didn't have Sellers in it. Fuck those three movies.

Top Bottom