• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

Mrbob

Like most people who try to talk football, when you bring up what actually occurs on the play, they go DUH YOU TROLLIN it was CUTLERS FAULT CUZ DEE ANNOUNCER SAID SO, what's cover 2 mean?

Film doesn't lie.

You're right, film doesn't lie. Like when Cutler holds onto the ball too long which happened when he got crushed in the back on a broken screen pass instead of throwing the ball into the dirt. Or not being able to read the field properly making poor reads and missing open receivers. He could have dumped it off to Forte on 3rd and 1 but he goes for a 50 yard incompletion instead. He leads the league in ints for a reason. The rest of the team being garbage doesn't absolve Cutler. I don't see how the team moves him so you'll get your wish of having him continue as starting QB.

MechDX

I'm glad you're staying positive too!

casedied.gif

thatsmyQB.gif

ShaneB

Hey, as long as they are making it into the endzone, it doesn't matter who is scoring touchdowns. Jaguars seem to hit a force field whenever they reach the redzone.

I'm the same mindset, doesn't really matter who gets TDs in any given game, it certainly changes the game plan when you realize the Chiefs maybe aren't so much a deep threat.

I'm sure the Steelers secondary will let Bowe score!

It's going to have to be a catch and run, though, because I don't think Alex has the arm to throw it past 20 yards.

Alex was throwing a couple bombs in the Raiders game, so he's learning!

casedied.gif

thatsmyQB.gif

That's rough!

zychi

Banned
You're right, film doesn't lie. Like when Cutler holds onto the ball too long which happened when he got crushed in the back on the screen pass instead of throwing the ball into the dirt. Or not being able to read the field properly making poor reads and missing open receivers. He could have dumped it off to Forte on 3rd and 1 but he goes for a 50 yard incompletion instead. You don't lead the league in ints by making proper reads. The rest of the team being garbage doesn't absolve Cutler.

Every other QB gets absolved, Eli, Brady, Luck, whoever Cle's QB is this week.

I'd like to see you try and do the bolded, with the guy who hits you come from your blind spot because you think your lineman has him blocked. The only person in the world who can do that currently is Aaron Rodgers.

That 3rd and 1, I'm not sure which play exactly you're talking about, but it happens alot because Forte sits in a zone, covered by a linebacker instead of moving around on the rollout, which leads to Forte getting hit immediately when he gets the ball.

You guys can't have it both ways. Either complain Cutler is bad at making reads, or that he whips it in there by focusing on one player. Which would have been Martellus last night, not whoever he threw the 50 yard incompletion too.

If he was bad at reads, he wouldn't be chucking it down the field in a 1on1 matchup with two of the biggest WRs in the NFL, he would be dumping it off every play like every Bears QB in the Shoop offense or Bridgewater does.

Bowser

His guaranteed money is sunk cost. So he is a valuable player considering the marginal salary you have to pay him over the guaranteed money/cap hit.

Getting a QB in the draft is what, at best a 30% success rate to even get an average starter for 1st rounders.

And TD/INT rate is partly a function of having to force the ball to come back from behind and long 3rd downs. On a better team his INTs go down.

To replace Cutler just isn't worth it. It is a something a bad organization would do to scapegoat a player who has always been unpopular with the media and fanbases wherever he has been.

Not exactly:

Update: An executive from another team called me Monday after this article was originally published to point out that Cutler's contract, like the contracts of many other players, does include off-set language for guaranteed money. That's an important point, because it means if the Bears did release Cutler after this season, whatever salary he earned from his next team in 2015 would be subtracted from Chicago's $15.5 million commitment to him, with cap savings deferred. For example, if another team paid $5 million to Cutler in 2015, then the Bears would owe him $10.5 million, softening the financial blow for the team. The same provision exists for the $10 million in guarantees for the 2016 season. This is uncharted territory for high-profile contracts involving veteran players with such large guarantees. In similar cases, teams have felt good enough about keeping the player to pay those guarantees. Whether the Bears will still feel that way after this season remains to be seen.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...icago-bears-virtually-stuck-qb-jay-cutler-nfl

Vio-Lence

Banned
Every other QB gets absolved, Eli, Brady, Luck, whoever Cle's QB is this week.

I'd like to see you try and do the bolded, with the guy who hits you come from your blind spot because you think your lineman has him blocked. The only person in the world who can do that currently is Aaron Rodgers.

That 3rd and 1, I'm not sure which play exactly you're talking about, but it happens alot because Forte sits in a zone, covered by a linebacker instead of moving around on the rollout, which leads to Forte getting hit immediately when he gets the ball.

You guys can't have it both ways. Either complain Cutler is bad at making reads, or that he whips it in there by focusing on one player. Which would have been Martellus last night, not whoever he threw the 50 yard incompletion too.

If he was bad at reads, he wouldn't be chucking it down the field in a 1on1 matchup with two of the biggest WRs in the NFL, he would be dumping it off every play like every Bears QB in the Shoop offense or Bridgewater does.

Lead the league in turnovers year after year, get absolved of the blame by mouth breathing homers, must be good being Jay.

zychi

Banned
Cutler is playing with two Pro Bowl receivers, a pro bowl running back, and a pro bowl guard. Who ya crapping about talent?

Marty Bennett is a damn good TE too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brJgr82bs9M

Man, he was so great that Dallas ddin't let him go to NY, and NY didn't let him leave.

Lead the league in turnovers year after year, get absolved of the blame by mouth breathing homers, must be good being Jay.

Man, you even use the Score's terminology! Brett Favre lead the league in turnovers year after year, even has the INT record, Jay plays like Favre, it comes with the territory of being a "gunslinger."

But hey, I bet you still have your Rex Grossman jersey in your closet because he got to the Super Bowl!

Mrbob

Zychi, you do realize the two go together. Cutler makes bad reads because he locks onto one target early and rarely goes through the proper progression.

Also, I'm not sure what is so hard about throwing the ball into the dirt instead of taking a big hit. Many QBs know how to do this.

zychi

Banned
Zychi, you do realize the two go together. Cutler makes bad reads because he locks onto one target early and rarely goes through the proper progression.

If you want to use that argument, why does he get sacked so much? You don't want to blame the line, you want to blame him holding onto the ball, which is because he's going through his progressions. I guess he must be going through his progressions with another set of eyes, while focusing on one WR with another set of eyes?

Mrbob

If you want to use that argument, why does he get sacked so much? You don't want to blame the line, you want to blame him holding onto the ball, which is because he's going through his progressions. I guess he must be going through his progressions with another set of eyes, while focusing on one WR with another set of eyes?

Now you are making up arguments. Where am I only blaming Cutler? I've been ranting on this whole team for weeks. I want a complete blow up and rebuild Cubs style. I would only keep a handful of players and start over.

MechDX

#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he's going to keep the starting quarterback's name "close to the vest." Not going to announce it this week.

BOB had gone full hoodie this week

zychi

Banned
Now you are making up arguments. Where am I only blaming Cutler? I've been ranting on this whole team for weeks. I want a complete blow up and rebuild Cubs style. I would only keep a handful of players and start over.

The blame on the screen and not the backside blocking. It's so hard to tell the difference between all the anti-Cutler sheep, and actual football fans who realize there are more problems then just the QB. I apologize for lumping you in with the idiots MrBob

LevelNth

Banned
With Ray now gone time for Tank to show the niners what he's made of.
Brooks is going to get cut after the season as well. All those draft picks the last two years are going to pay off while the Niners take a rough $10m+ dead money hit next year.

Tamanon

Banned
#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says he's going to keep the starting quarterback's name "close to the vest." Not going to announce it this week.

BOB had gone full hoodie this week

At this point, he probably doesn't even know any of the QBs' names.

The idiocy on that station is spreading to GAF? Ugh.

Game was sold out on Monday. People stayed the entire time. Bears apparel is still selling like hotcakes.

Idiot fans, who listen to idiots on the Score.

Talking over press conferences like they're Mystery Science Theater. Let me take their opinions seriously as they choke each other in the booth.

Fuck outta here

Mystery Science Theater is my favorite show.

Do you really need to hear Trestman's press conference?

I have no problem with them drafting Easley. He got better as the season went along and I expect him to become the future starter at defensive tackle.

I get that you're trying to stay positive but this guy tore both ACL's in college and is now IRed due to knee issues. That has to be a little unsettling.

zychi

Banned

Do you really need to hear Trestman's press conference?

They did it for the Samardzja press conference yesterday. They do it for everything. What's the point of even broadcasting the press conference? ESPN doesn't do it anymore at all. The sports radio stations in Chicago are terrible :/

MechDX

O'Brien on Sunday's game vs. #Ravens: Very different game plan than what we've had all season. #Texans

Going five wide and let Case sling it!

zychi

Banned
In positive news, my Ultimate Madden team was given Gronk this week as the weekly free dude. My team is stacked

They did it for the Samardzja press conference yesterday. They do it for everything. What's the point of even broadcasting the press conference? ESPN doesn't do it anymore at all. The sports radio stations in Chicago are terrible :/

I only like B&B. I'm a very casual sports fan.

FMT told me he was innocent though.

if he wasn't charged then he was "innocent". it's kind of like dick sherman being caught cheating but gets off on a technicality. technically he wasn't charge with an infraction!

also of course the niners released him now. we're out of the playoffs and he was going to be an offseason cut anyways. win win!

Respect

Old-Spice-Guy-Head-Nod.gif

tumblr_mdpdgzJjlP1rhd46ao6_400.gif

Give back Jon

This is some compensation for the organization just letting Maddux walk, being 10 when that happened and not a local, I was pissed at Maddux, then came the internet and I find out it was because the cubs just didn't give a shit about re-signing him...but don't worry, his ERA will spike to 5.5 for his time with the cubbies...

cdyhybrid

if he wasn't charged then he was "innocent". it's kind of like dick sherman being caught cheating but gets off on a technicality. technically he wasn't charge with an infraction!

also of course the niners released him now. we're out of the playoffs and he was going to be an offseason cut anyways. win win!

Yeah but Sherm wasn't accused of raping someone, beating his girl, shooting up his own party, murdering innocent trees while high off his ass, or making bomb threats!

Having no time to throw will do that to a QB. Ask the Texans QBs, ask anyone besides Andrew Luck

You can't allow your QB to be sacked 7 times. You should be able to establish something of a run game. Yet the Bears can't.

well yes, i think if you give ANY QB plenty of time to throw he's going to find some degree of success. as with every QB who sucks, there are other factors than just the QB. the problem is when there are other QB's in the league that are finding more success under the same conditions (poor O-line) AND making less money.... well then that is a problem

bionic77

I'm sure the Steelers secondary will let Bowe score!

It's going to have to be a catch and run, though, because I don't think Alex has the arm to throw it past 20 yards.
Even though Smith is a cowardly bitchass fraud even he will be tempted to throw downfield against our dogshit secondary.

When the receiver is running free and has a 10 yard cushion with no one behind him it is tough not to throw to him.

I am hoping that Alex's bitchass instincts make him check down when it happens assuming that no one could be that wide open in the NFL and that we are baiting him instead of manning up and lighting us up.

Top Bottom